Author Topic: "Your thoughts to my thoughts..." - Telepath track  (Read 2788 times)

Prime32

• Minion
  • Problem Solver
    • View Profile
    • Awards
"Your thoughts to my thoughts..." - Telepath track
« on: August 22, 2012, 12:02:37 PM »
A new track. Power levels across tracks probably need some equalising.
The synergy with Tactical Insight + Knowledge-based [Skill] feats is intentional.

Telepath

1st Circle - Touch MindSu: As a swift action, you can send a tendril of thought into the mind of a creature within [Close] range (Will DC 10 + half your character level + your KOM negates). If you succeed, then until they move out of range you gain an item bonus to AC and Interaction skill checks against that creature equal to your number of circles in this track, and can communicate with them as if via a world-mind spell. When making a Perception check against an affected creature, you apply your highest mental ability score modifier to the check in place of your Wis modifier. This is a [Mind-affecting] effect. In addition you gain the Mind Blast natural attack, which may only be used against creatures under the effects of Touch Mind.
If you possess the Judgment track, then you may use the Knowing on a creature affected by Touch Mind regardless of range.
 Mind Blast – Ranged, range equal to Touch Mind, [Brutal], [Magnum], [Unbalancing]

2nd Circle - Mind LinkSu: You can link your mind together with that of up to 1 ally per circle you possess in this track. Every affected creature (including yourself) gains the benefits of the world-mind and status spells with regard to every other member of the network. You may add and/or remove creatures from the network as a standard action, as long as it does not exceed its maximum capacity.
In addition, your Touch Mind ability can affect a number of creatures with each use equal to your number of circles in this track.
Finally, your Mind Blast gains an item bonus to attack rolls equal to half your circles in this track (round down).

3rd Circle - Mind's EyeSu: You gain [Blindsight] and [Ghostwise sight], except that they can only perceive creatures under the effects of your Touch Mind or Mind Link abilities.
The range of your Touch Mind ability increases to [Medium].

4th Circle - Read MindSu: Whenever you would attempt a Knowledge skill check against a creature under the effects of your Touch Mind or Mind Link abilities, you may make a Perception check instead.

5th Circle - Mind CrushSLA: You may use major image and feeblemind as spell-like abilities at will, except that they may only affect creatures under the effects of your Touch Mind ability (in the case of major image, only the affected creatures can see the illusion).

6th Circle - Mind RadarSu: The range of your Touch Mind ability increases to [Long], and it now becomes an area effect targeting any number of creatures within range with each use. In addition you gain [Blindsight] and [Ghostwise sight] out to the range of your Touch Mind ability, except that they only perceive creatures who could be affected by Touch Mind. When making a Perception check against a creature who could be affected by Touch Mind, you apply your highest mental ability score modifier to the check in place of your Wis modifier.

7th Circle - Locate MindSLA: By concentrating for 1 [Round] you may locate the mind of any creature, regardless of location. This otherwise functions as a discern location spell, except that it is a [Mind-affecting] effect. This effect also creates a weak mental bond for 1 [Round], during which time you can communicate with the target telepathically (but they cannot respond).
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 11:38:40 AM by Prime32 »

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: "Your thoughts to my thoughts..." - Telepath track
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 04:56:39 PM »
I'm not in a good position to provise a detailed analisysis at the moment, but I like the concept, and I think it captures, the right feel. The power level may be on the low side, though.

It does make me think that a telepathy feat that grants the use ofor world mind could be cool
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

Prime32

• Minion
  • Problem Solver
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 06:44:18 PM »
Added Mind Blast natural weapon.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 06:57:06 PM »
Quick draw is pointless one a natural weapon. It also doesn't need a ton  of properties to be good, especially with the scaling range

Very Long Username

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 07:27:11 PM »
What if Mind Blast was a facet that you upgraded?  Also, why does it get to start with [Brutal] and [Unbalancing?]  [Brutal] on a natural weapon seems a bit powerful, at first circle.  Of course, I've not had much experience with actual play, so I don't know how valid that statement is.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 07:42:10 PM by THEFINALBOSSOFTHEINTERNET »

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 07:41:14 PM »
Why would a brutal natural weapon be overpowered? Its not even unusual. Most of the natural weapons in the game have it.

Very Long Username

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 07:43:39 PM »
Oh, if it's common, then it's pretty reasonable.  Sorry, I'm quite new to the Legend system (and, wouldn't you know it, playing a Tactician with Telekinetic Scion feats in a campaign).

Also, I'm wondering if Ghostwise sight and Blindsight are underpowered by that condition.

Also, if this is meant to go well with a Tactician, the 4th Circle ability seems a bit weak.  As a Tactician, you get all six knowledge skills and INT as KOM.  The benefit is, as a friend spoon-fed me, that you can make a perception check, rather than figuring out which knowledge to use, but, still. . .
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 07:49:19 PM by THEFINALBOSSOFTHEINTERNET »

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 09:37:06 PM »
ok, time for more detail:

Circle 1:
Touch mind is used as the basic for all of your actions, which is nice and consistent. the +circle bonus to AC and interaction skills is a lot, but its  initially single target and has a save, so I don't see a problem. The "until they move out of range" clause means you can assume you have touch mind on your party in most cases.
I like the mind blast concept, but as I said earlier, it needs some refinement.
First, [Quick draw] is pointless on a natural attack, since you are always wielding them. So, you can just drop that. It doesn't need the 4th property anyways, a natural attack is a considerable advantage to start, since you can wield a normal weapon in addition and benefit from its passive properties. Also, the scaling range boosts it up over time. This circle is giving a decent amount, so this doesn't need to be amazing.
I like [Brutal] [Magnum][Unbalancing]. It seems to fit conceptually.

Circle 2:
This one seems pretty nice. It makes the link between allies more explicit, and expands its abilities. Being able  to make the entire party talk unaware and know where each other are is very nice. Expanding the number of creatures effected with a single use of Touch mind gives a good, concrete combat boost alongside it, which is nice.
The mind blast getting item bonuses seems unnecessary to me, as they could just enchant it if they care about using it.

Circle 3.
The Blindsight and ghostwise sight are nice and thematic, and the range increase is directly useful. Good balance there as well.

Circle 4
I have mixed feelings about this. One one hand, it is very thematic and cool to be able to learn things about a creature by reading their mind like this. And the +circle bonus the track will be giving to the check makes it very effective. However, it makes wisdom the clear choice for this track, when intelligence would normally be the typical stat for a telepath in my mind. So, if you play a wisdom based character with tactical insight, their tactical insight is going to struggle until this point. If you play an intelligence based character,  their perception will be less awesome, and while the +circle could give it an edge, its not going to be as significant.
I dislike choices where you have to sacrifice early power to get the full impact of a later ability. Its not a good design. Apart from that aspect, I really like the ability.

Circle 5
I can't comment on this one as much as I would like, but Major Image is very... amorphous in its actual usefulness, due to haveing no direct mechanical benefits.

Circle 6
Being able to attack touch mind to every creature in long range is a very nice boost,  and detecting all of those creatures there is nice too

Circle 7
a ton of utility here. You can sit there, find anyone, perhaps repeatedly, and tell them  things. However, it has little direct benefit. I'd reign in this power with a few limits, primarily on times you can use it, and try to get something more direct to pair with it. Its a very situational ability, and tacticians normally get 2 spells alongside it to mitigate that concern.

Prime32

• Minion
  • Problem Solver
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 11:41:24 AM »
Removed [Quick-draw], added the option to use your highest mental modifier on Perception checks against mind-touched.

Also, if this is meant to go well with a Tactician, the 4th Circle ability seems a bit weak.  As a Tactician, you get all six knowledge skills and INT as KOM.  The benefit is, as a friend spoon-fed me, that you can make a perception check, rather than figuring out which knowledge to use, but, still. . .
You don't have to be a Tactician to have the Tactical Insight track.

Very Long Username

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 01:14:47 PM »
>In addition you gain the Mind Blast natural attack, which may only be used against creatures under the effects of Touch Mind.

This line concerns me, since you need to be successful on Touch Mind, or else you're nearly unable to attack, assuming you go the unarmed route.

Well, okay, I'm not particularly defenseless, since I have the Tactician spells, in my case, but I'm still without a non-exhaustible offense until I succeed on that Touch Mind.

Actually, I'm really not sure how valid my concern is.  It seems to be mitigated by a lot of things, in my case, but I'm not sure how it would work in other scenarios.  Could you justify the limitation on Mind Blast to targets only affected by Mind Touch?  It'll probably be a lot quicker than addressing an exhaustive list of concerns that I propose.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 01:20:16 PM by Very Long Username »