Author Topic: Warden (1.0 update)  (Read 3230 times)

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Warden (1.0 update)
« on: August 24, 2012, 10:56:29 PM »
Warden
Wardens are masters of protective magic, using wards to defend themselves and their allies.  Some Wardens are Tacticians or Shamans, who learn new ways to use their magic to aid others. Some Wardens are warriors who have learned to augment their physical might with magic, or commanders with their allies best interests at heart.

Circle 1 - Create wardSU:
You can create magical wards as a swift action. Unless specified otherwise, wards are [Ward] effects and last till the end of the [Encounter]. Wards you create affect yourself.
Clouded ward: You are [Concealed]
Environmental Ward: You gain the effects of Endure elements.

Circle 2- Friendly wardsSU:
You gain access to the following wards. A creature may only be affected by 1 at a time:
Mental ward: You gain a +3 bonus to will saves
Deflective ward: You gain a +3 bonus to reflex saves
Hardy ward: You gain a +3 bonus to fort saves
At 5th circle, a creature may be affected by 2 of these wards.

Circle 3- Ablative wardSU:
When you create a ward, you can choose to apply it to any ally within [Close] range. You gain access to the following ward
Ablative ward: You gain an item bonus to AC equal to the circle you possess in this track. This bonus decreases by 1 each time you are missed by an attack, but resets each [Round] to its maximum.

Circle 4 -Ward of balanceSU:
You gain access to the following wards, but only one may affect any creature at a given time
Physical ward: You gain [Lesser resistance] to physical damage
Magic ward: You gain [Lesser resistance] to magic and energy damage

Circle 5- Group wardSU:
Any wards affecting you may also affect all allies while they are within [Close] range of you. This still counts as a single ward, and any limits on the ward are universal.
Tesla ward: The first time each [Round] an opponent hits you, they take your  level in [Electricity] damage.

Circle 6- Reactive Wards:
You may create wards as an immediate action
The Wards of balance now grant [Resistance]

Circle 7-Reflective wardSU:
This ward can only be used once per [Encounter], and is not affected by Group ward.
Reflective ward: for 1 [Round], whenever you are dealt damage, your ward stores an equal amount of damage.. After the end of this [Round], the damage may be unleashed as a move action, dealing damage to an opponent within [Long] range equal to the damage stored. This causes the reflective ward to end.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 02:32:22 PM by Mystify »
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

Tim4488

• Elite
  • Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Warden
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 09:46:47 PM »
I realize this is some crazy kind of thread necromancy, but couldn't C3 just be a normal +Circle to AC? C4 of Demon is that and [Lesser Resistance], and C3 of Dragon grants that as Armor/Deflection, but also a healing ability. So just +Circle to AC as an Item bonus is probably okay for C3.

Also, frankly, it would make the math less fiddly.
"MY BLADE THIRSTS FOR MORE LEGEND." - Valixes

My homebrew.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 09:53:12 PM »
I realize this is some crazy kind of thread necromancy, but couldn't C3 just be a normal +Circle to AC? C4 of Demon is that and [Lesser Resistance], and C3 of Dragon grants that as Armor/Deflection, but also a healing ability. So just +Circle to AC as an Item bonus is probably okay for C3.

Also, frankly, it would make the math less fiddly.
its not just an Ac bonus though. Its an AC bonus you can cast on people, or even share with a group later.

Tim4488

• Elite
  • Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 09:58:01 PM »
Good point. I guess I just blanked on it also being a Ward instead of a Passive bonus.
"MY BLADE THIRSTS FOR MORE LEGEND." - Valixes

My homebrew.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Warden (1.0 update)
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 04:19:43 PM »
updated for 1.0.

Zaq

• Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 01:24:17 PM »
C1: No-questions-asked [Concealed] until EoE? My only concern is that now you can use Stealth wherever, whenever, with no end point and no location-based limitations. Lots of things pierce [Invisible], but very few pierce undifferentiated [Concealed]. Is this meant to be a go-to way of hiding?

C2: This makes AA pretty strong, but it's not like it's a trivial cost. Probably nothing to worry about.

C3: That's a lot of bookkeeping. Would it really be unbalanced to just keep it as a straight item bonus? Group Ward makes it kinda strong, but I don't think the "tick down, but come back later" model is necessarily a good balance. Plus, wouldn't it make more sense to tick down after you're missed, rather than after you're hit?

C4: Is energy damage intentionally being ignored? Also, I think it would make sense to say whether or not you can overwrite one of these with the other, should you decide you need to change things up, or if you're stuck with your first choice.

C5: First, you're mixing up affect and effect. (Not the first or only spelling nitpick I could conjure, but twice in one sentence bugs me.) Anyway, does "any limits on the ward are universal" mean that a Tesla Ward on the whole team only triggers once per [Round], or is it once per [Round] per ally hit? Finally, does the Close limit on Group Ward apply when the ward is created, or continuously? In other words, if I cast a ward on myself, then an ally who was in Medium range comes into my Close range, does the ward affect them? If I cast a ward on myself, does an ally who was in Close range still gain the benefit if they move out of my Close range? I can't tell if they're cast in an AoE, or if they're broadcast once they're in place.

C6: Neat, though it might be useful to specify if you can create wards after you know whether or not a given ability will affect you/the target.

C7: I see what you're going for, but the wording is clumsy. Taking a move action at the end of a one-[Round] duration is generally impossible, because of the weird way [Rounds] are measured. It gets worse if you cast this on an ally (through your C3 ability, not your C5), or if you used an immediate action to cast it off-turn. Also, "stored in the ward"—does that mean the damage is delayed until the ward ends? I assume you take the damage and it just tallies what you took, but it would be better to be clearer.

General concern: [Ward] is a defined game term. First, are these [Ward] effects? (Nothing in the core rules actually treats [Ward] effects differently in any way, but you never know.) Second, would you consider calling them something else, to prevent confusion with [Ward] effects that don't originate from this track? (The alternative that leaps to mind is "veil," with the obvious Iot7FV inspiration, but I'm sure there's an even better term out there.)

I do love the concept of having a whole bunch of swift-action Encounter-length buffs, specifically defensive ones. Really cool space to explore. I doubt it'll take too much cleaning up.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 01:27:05 PM by Zaq »
I do verb now and again, but gerunding is my real passion.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2013, 02:19:49 PM »
C1: No-questions-asked [Concealed] until EoE? My only concern is that now you can use Stealth wherever, whenever, with no end point and no location-based limitations. Lots of things pierce [Invisible], but very few pierce undifferentiated [Concealed]. Is this meant to be a go-to way of hiding?
I am aware it does it. [Revealed] is both easy to get an will knock it out just fine, and is one of the reasons I went with concealment over a flat miss chance.
C2: This makes AA pretty strong, but it's not like it's a trivial cost. Probably nothing to worry about.
There are a lot of ways to boost reflex saves, if anything AA needs a lot of them to keep it useful compared to AC. So, yes, there is synergy here, I don't think its a problem.
C3: That's a lot of bookkeeping. Would it really be unbalanced to just keep it as a straight item bonus? Group Ward makes it kinda strong, but I don't think the "tick down, but come back later" model is necessarily a good balance. Plus, wouldn't it make more sense to tick down after you're missed, rather than after you're hit?
yes, it would. Even if it wasn't affected by group ward, being able to put it on other people would make it way too strong.
I can see it ticking down after you are hit/missed going either way, and I'm not sure which would work better.

C4: Is energy damage intentionally being ignored? Also, I think it would make sense to say whether or not you can overwrite one of these with the other, should you decide you need to change things up, or if you're stuck with your first choice.
no, it wasn't intentional, I didn't look at the ability close enough when I was revising.
I should make it more clear that you can change the effect if you want.
C5: First, you're mixing up affect and effect. (Not the first or only spelling nitpick I could conjure, but twice in one sentence bugs me.) Anyway, does "any limits on the ward are universal" mean that a Tesla Ward on the whole team only triggers once per [Round], or is it once per [Round] per ally hit? Finally, does the Close limit on Group Ward apply when the ward is created, or continuously? In other words, if I cast a ward on myself, then an ally who was in Medium range comes into my Close range, does the ward affect them? If I cast a ward on myself, does an ally who was in Close range still gain the benefit if they move out of my Close range? I can't tell if they're cast in an AoE, or if they're broadcast once they're in place.
tesla ward only triggers once for the team, and  ablative ward ticks down together.
you are right, that does need clearer wording. Its supposed to be affecting all allies within that range.
C6: Neat, though it might be useful to specify if you can create wards after you know whether or not a given ability will affect you/the target.
I'm just going to let it work like all immediate actions. Which, admittedly, is kinda vague at the moment, but it should be consistent with whatever is decided for all of the others
C7: I see what you're going for, but the wording is clumsy. Taking a move action at the end of a one-[Round] duration is generally impossible, because of the weird way [Rounds] are measured. It gets worse if you cast this on an ally (through your C3 ability, not your C5), or if you used an immediate action to cast it off-turn. Also, "stored in the ward"—does that mean the damage is delayed until the ward ends? I assume you take the damage and it just tallies what you took, but it would be better to be clearer.
alright, I'll reword things
General concern: [Ward] is a defined game term. First, are these [Ward] effects? (Nothing in the core rules actually treats [Ward] effects differently in any way, but you never know.) Second, would you consider calling them something else, to prevent confusion with [Ward] effects that don't originate from this track? (The alternative that leaps to mind is "veil," with the obvious Iot7FV inspiration, but I'm sure there's an even better term out there.)
them not being wards defeats the entire point of it being a warden