Author Topic: Weapon Scion: Serpent Scourge track  (Read 2611 times)

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
  • Ballot Box Eye of Seeing Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Weapon Scion: Serpent Scourge track
« on: September 15, 2012, 08:41:36 PM »
It's been a while since my last Scion track.

Serpent Scourge [NON-UNIQUE]
The bodies of these leather whips, bearing patterns mimicking serpents found in nature, drip with a toxic fluid. Their heads, dotted with metal blades, also resemble a snake. In fact, they have even been seen wriggling ever so slightly while at rest, as if true vipers. Given their venom, many assume they are evil weapons. However, they can also serve as effective wards. The most common rumor surrounding their origin suggests that a mage with extensive knowledge of jungle fauna made one for each type of snake he had studied. Those who utilize one of these scourges regularly will find its venom's potency growing.

Serpent Scourge is a whip. The extra damage from its [Brutal 1] property is treated as [Precision] damage.

This track introduces a new ability/condition, Decay: Some wounds linger, tagged as [Decay]. This ability always includes a number, such as “[Decay] 3”; a creature with this ability is harmed for that number of hit points every [Round]. This ability directly counters [Fast Healing] and remains active for [Battered] creatures. Each application of [Decay] counts as a separate condition for the purposes of effects that remove conditions.

1st Circle
Poison: This whip secretes a powerful poison. Serpent Scourge gains the [Brutal 2] and [Brutal 3] properties and the [Flesheater] enchantment. The extra damage from the [Brutal 2] and [Brutal 3] properties is treated as [Precision] damage.

2nd Circle
[Brutal 4] VenomEX: You prey on the suffering of others. Any time that you successfully attack a [Burning], [Bleeding], or [Battered] target, Serpent Scourge deals 10 extra damage, plus 1 damage per 1.5 levels (equivalent to: 2/3 damage per level) you possess. Only one source of [Precision] damage may be applied to any attack.

3rd Circle
Pernicious PoisonEX: The poison this whip leaves behind lasts for a while. Once per [Round] when you hit, the target gains [Decay] equal to your circle until the end of the [Encounter].

4th Circle
[Brutal 5] VenomEX: Opponents find it hard to resist your strikes. Any time that you successfully attack a [Burning], [Bleeding], or [Battered] target, Serpent Scourge deals 15 extra damage, plus 1 damage per 1.2 levels (equivalent to: 5/6 damage per level) you possess. Only one source of [Precision] damage may be applied to any attack.

5th Circle
Deadly Poison: The poison produced by this scourge can strip you of your health. Serpent Scourge gains the [Hearteater] enchantment.

6th Circle
[Brutal 6] VenomEX: Your lashes devastate foes. Any time that you successfully attack a [Burning], [Bleeding], or [Battered] target, Serpent Scourge deals 21 [Precision] damage, plus 1 [Precision] damage per level you possess. Only one source of [Precision] damage may be applied to any attack.

7th Circle
Potent PoisonEX: This whip's poison can sap the energy of those it strikes. Once per [Round] when you hit, the target becomes [Energy-Drained] until the end of the [Encounter].

Number-Crunching
20: serpent scourge
   2: C1
      1: [sophisticated]: [brutal 2], [brutal 3]
      1: [flesheater]
   3: C2: [brutal 4]
   3: C3: [fast harming]
   3: C4: [brutal 5]
   3: C5: [hearteater]
   3: C6: [brutal 6]
   3: C7: [energy-drained]
~
Previous Version
Unless otherwise specified, the abilities of this track only function while Serpent Scourge is in your possession. Serpent Scourge is a whip. Serpent Scourge is treated as a mundane weapon when used by any creature without this track. The DCs for your abilities are 10 + 1/2 your character level + your Strength modifier. This track introduces a new status condition: [Infected].

Infected: This is a "container" condition, meaning it inflicts no conditions by itself and has other conditions it is said to contain. Conditions [Infected] contains ignore [Immunity]. [Infected] lasts 3 [Rounds] (the duration of [Infected] and every preexisting contained condition resets each time an effect would inflict [Infected]) or until each contained condition has ended, whichever comes first. The removal of [Infected] removes the refreshes it may have caused of the contained conditions, meaning that preexisting sources of the contained conditions persist for their original un-refreshed durations (if they would still persist by that time). Earlier (as defines by the below track) conditions cannot be removed until later conditions are removed. [Infected] creatures suffer a -1 to their saves against becoming [Infected] for each contained condition they have.

1st Circle
Viper FangsEX: Sharp bits adorning the tip of your whip ensure every strike delivers venom. Creatures you hit must make a Fortitude save or become [Infected].
Minor InfectionEX: Each lash poisons. Creatures you [Infect] start [Bleeding].
Weapon Scion: Disregard the item bonus Serpent Scourge would receive based upon its item tier. It instead gains a +1 item bonus for every circle you have of this track. Additionally, Serpent Scourge does not take up a magical item slot.

2nd Circle
RetaliationEX: The scourge constantly writhes, ready to lunge at its prey. Creatures who attack you in melee must make a Fortitude save or become [Infected]. Additionally, being [Flat-Footed] never prevents you from making attacks of opportunity.

3rd Circle
InfectionEX: Successive lashes poison further. Creatures you [Infect] who are [Bleeding] start [Burning].

4th Circle
Baneful BiteEX: When you're injured, your foes suffer. For the purposes of this ability, [Dying] counts as being both [Disabled] and [Dying]. While you are [Bleeding], [Burning], [Battered], [Disabled], or [Dying], The DCs of saves against becoming [Infected] that you cause gain a +1 bonus for every condition from the afore-mentioned list that you have.

5th Circle
Major InfectionEX: Successive lashes poison even further. Creatures you [Infect] who are [Burning] become [Battered] for 3 [Rounds].

6th Circle
Pernicious PangSU: You can manipulate the scourge's toxins when they're afflicting an opponent, letting you heighten the intensity of an enemy's symptoms when they try something fancy. Once per creature per [Encounter] as a swift or immediate action, you can prevent an [Infected] creature from using their swift or immediate action or making an attack of opportunity. Any ability the affected creature might have activated does not count as having been used.

7th Circle
Fatal InfectionSU: The built-up poison proves too much for foes. [Infected] creatures suffer extra [Physical] damage from you equal to your level on each hit.
Original "Toxic" track idea
Toxic track
There exists a set of creatures more defined by their toxicity and pernicious nature than any other aspect. Whether a poisonous fungi, venomous insect/reptile, pestilent being, or sentient pollution, these aberrations are simply toxic, and thus a Toxic might have almost any racial type (check with your GM). While such creatures will vary greatly in appearance, they all function the same mechanically. This track introduces a new status condition: [Infected].

Infected
The character gains both the [Bleeding] and the [On Fire] conditions each time this condition is applied. [Infected] lasts 3 [Rounds] (the duration resets each time an effect would inflict it) or until both the [Bleeding] and the [On Fire] conditions have ended, whichever comes first. Characters may spend a standard action to remove the [Infected] condition, but this provokes attacks of opportunity. Any ability that can remove both [Bleeding] and [On Fire] (not necessarily with a single usage of said ability) can remove [Infected]. The removal of [Infected] removes the refreshes it may have caused of the [Bleeding] and the [On Fire] conditions, meaning that pre-existing sources of [Bleeding] or [On Fire] persist for their original un-refreshed durations (if they would still persist by that time).
Spoiler
I grouped the 2 sub-conditions into a new condition for the sake of simplicity and to clarify intent. Since [infected] wears off 3 rounds after it was last inflicted, refreshes of the sub-conditions don't keep it going. The standard action for removal lets [infected] be gotten rid of in 1 turn (instead of what would take up a move action for 2 turns). Plus, characters who gain immunity to 1 of the sub-conditions can take advantage of the move action removal of the other to remove [infected]. I specified the kinds of abilities that can remove [infected] so that the fluff wouldn't be skewed by abilities that can only remove one of the sub-conditions. I also made sure [infected] was self-contained upon removal so it didn't cause weird and illogical behavior that some may take advantage of.

1st Circle
PlagueEX: Your essence envelopes every strike. Creatures you hit must make a Fortitude save or become [Infected]. If you're attacking with a natural weapon, the DC is increased by 1, and if you're attacking at range, the DC is decreased by 1.
Spoiler
I could see this being unbalanced, at which point I'd probably go with an attacked creature only needing to save when they're first attacked by you that round. It lines up w/ the [Flesheater] enchantment fairly well. Making a save necessary prevents it from being too good.
I thought about giving this track a natural weapon in C1, but it didn't seem to fit how general it is. Such, Plague's natural weapon bonus is there instead, and it fits nicely w/ the decrease for ranged attacks (and natural weapons w/ the [throwing] property end up even).

2nd Circle
Bad BloodEX: The fluid that courses through your vessels is loaded with toxins. Creatures who hit you in melee must make a Reflex save or become [Infected]. As an immediate action immediately after being hit at range, the creature who hit you at range must make a Reflex save or become [Infected]. As a move action, all adjacent creatures must make a Fortitude save or become [Infected].
Spoiler
The passive aspect of this Bad Blood is a good way to ward off enemies who aren't immune to [Bleeding] or [On Fire]. The immediate usage lets you do something if you're being pelted w/ arrows, and it gives you something to do w/ your immediates if none of your other tracks utilize them. The move action usage is primarily useful for grappling.
The first two applications use reflex saves to model avoiding a spurt of blood (which also shows how strong the toxins are), while the third application uses a fort save to model that there is no or less direct contact with blood (making the effect weaker, so to speak). Overall, I'm not particularly attached to the fort save, so changing it for consistency's sake wouldn't be so bad (though it is the only non-reactionary usage of Bad Blood and should therefore be more distinct).

3rd Circle
Pernicious PangSU: You can slightly manipulate your toxins when afflicting an opponent, letting you heighten the intensity of an enemy's symptoms when they try something fancy. Once per creature per [Encounter] as a swift or immediate action, you can prevent an [Infected] creature from using their swift or immediate action or making an attack of opportunity. Any ability the affected creature might have activated does not count as having been used.
Spoiler
I'm not too confident on the balancing of this one; I could definitely see taking the usage limit down to just once per encounter instead.

4th Circle
BaneEX: When you're injured, your foes suffer; when your foes are injured, they suffer. For the purposes of this ability, [Dying] counts as being both [Disabled] and [Dying].
While you are [Bleeding], [On Fire], [Battered], [Disabled], or [Dying], The DCs of saves against becoming [Infected] that you cause gain a +1 bonus for every condition from the afore-mentioned list that you have.
While they are [Bleeding], [On Fire], [Battered], [Disabled], or [Dying], creatures suffer a -1 penalty to their saves against becoming [Infected] by you for every condition from the afore-mentioned list that they have.
Spoiler
I'll admit that the wording for Bane could use some work, but I haven't found suitable and parallel language with which to word it.
Bane is supposed to model 2 things:
> The more your innards are exposed by battle, the more virulent contact with you becomes.
> The worse off an enemy is, the less resistance they'll have against being [infected].
Since you can infect yourself w/ Bad Blood or Plague, you can give Bane's effectiveness a bit of a boost.
With Plague, the maximum adjustment can be 11 (+6 to you and -5 to them). While that does make the save nearly impossible, the effects of the condition aren't that severe (and getting that huge of a bonus penalty discrepancy means that neither you nor your enemy is faring well).

5th Circle
x: Once per [Round], when an opponent fails their save against becoming [Infected], they also become [Battered] for 3 rounds.

6th Circle
x: x

7th Circle
ScourgeSU: x

~

Note that comments on specific conditions/circles are in spoiler tags under the respective condition/circle.
Now for the general comments:

I do word this like a racial track, but I'd rather allow it to be taken more easily. Also, I can't think of a race/chassis that would apply to all the kinds of creatures this track can represent.

I'm considering doing something with [disabled] and [dying] more specifically, but I know I have to be careful when messing with those conditions. Not to mention, some more reliance of [infected] in particular would probably be good.

Note that I'm intentionally trying to stay away from [Acid] damage and am thus avoiding words such as "caustic" and "noxious."

I'll admit that "Infected" is much more disease-oriented than the generality of this track would call for, but it was the best word I could think of at the time.

I'm a bit lost as to what the higher circles should do. The original idea was for fairly mundane things (spiders, snakes, slimes), so I'm not sure what would fit thematically for those sorts at higher levels.

I'd also like to keep it different mechanically from the Odor track I did previously, so I'm staying away from the [Sickened] and [Nauseated] conditions altogether.

I also realize that immunity to both [bleeding] and [on fire] isn't too far-fetched. Unfortunately, that would shut-down this entire track.

I don't think the ease with which the Fire Elemental can inflict [on fire] is a huge problem, because inflicting [bleeding] and [on fire] is easy with a 1pt enchantment.

So, does anybody have some thoughts?

EDIT: I have yet to decide what attribute this track should pull its saves from, so that's why I haven't specified.

NOTE: Do something w/ effects upon death and crits.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 11:17:23 PM by Yoder »
"Trifles go to make perfection, and perfection is no trifle."
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

My friend just shared this: "Remember that time Gandalf convinced the whole party to flee so that he could take out the Balrog and not have to share any of the XP? Shows up the next session with fancy new robes and everything. What a jerk."

Kitsune_Kinomi

• Ranger
  • Elite
  • I love foxes, can you tell?
  • Eye of Seeing Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Toxic track [Work-In-Progress]
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 02:48:10 PM »
I can't think of too much that might help out as poison is not some thing I think about a whole lot xD That being said for one fo the later tracks would you want to have some sort of contagion effects, like the possibility of spreading from one to another. It's just a thought of coarse. It looks like a good track though Hope it all turns out well for you.
"The mark of a immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one. "
~ Wilhelm Stekel

"I thought I'd pretend I was one of those blind deaf-mutes."
~ Catcher in the Rye, J. D. Salinger

"The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power."
~ Julius Cesar, William Shakespeare

My Moonshine

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Weapon Scion: Scourge of the Viper track
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 11:22:05 PM »
@Kitsune: Thanks for the advice. That would probably be a good direction to go in with the original idea. However, I ended up making the concept into a weapon scion.

~

Okay, complete track overhaul! I felt the way it worked would go better with a Weapon Scion, and here it is.

So, any questions/comments/suggestions?
Please let me know if the wording of [Infected] in conjunction with the "X Infection" abilities is clear enough.
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

My friend just shared this: "Remember that time Gandalf convinced the whole party to flee so that he could take out the Balrog and not have to share any of the XP? Shows up the next session with fancy new robes and everything. What a jerk."

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Weapon Scion: Serpent Scourge track
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 06:49:46 PM »
I've done another overhaul of this track, because the previous overhaul wasn't very inspired. This time, I decided to experiment with doing a [Precision]/Fury Item Scion Track. While the "[Brutal #] Venom" abilities seem more powerful than other Fury/[Precision] tracks, you need to remove the damage from [Brutal 3] before looking at balance. Once you do, the [Precision] damage it does is just about equal to the average damage the Assassin track can do with sneak attacks.

The formatting was also adjusted to match what I'll be doing from here on out. That is, I no longer mention the details common to all Item Scion Tracks, hence why "Weapon Scion" in the track's name now links to a thread for the explanation and discussion the overall concept.
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

amechra

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 04:29:48 AM »
Maybe call [Fast Harming] [Decay] instead?

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 05:10:50 PM »
Yeah, Fast Harming isn't a very good name. Decay doesn't exactly fit the fluff of this track, though it does make sense since it's the opposite of Fast Healing. How does Slow Dying sound?
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 06:28:42 PM »
what about [Ongoing damage]?
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

...You Lost Me

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 03:44:22 AM »
what about [Ongoing damage]?
ew.

I prefer [Decay]

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 08:58:07 AM »
I guess I'll go w/ Decay then.
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew