Author Topic: Crazed Inventor(1.0 update)  (Read 4489 times)

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Crazed Inventor(1.0 update)
« on: September 18, 2012, 01:36:22 AM »
Crazed Inventor
Play a Crazed inventor, with a wide array of gadgets at your disposal.
Useful for a evil villain, or combine with Combat Alchemist for a Mad Scientist.
This is part of my assertion that Legend needs more science and technology support.
When you take this track, you may change your KOM to intelligence, unless your KDM is already intelligence

Circle 1- Death Ray EX: You have constructed the basic tool of destruction, a Death Ray. This is a [Ranged] weapon with 3 weapon properties of your choice, and is a Lesser Item of your design with enchantments as normal for a magic weapon of its tier, but does not count against your normal limit for attuned magic items. When you reach 4th circle in Crazed Inventor, you redesign this weapon as a Greater Item, and when you reach 6th circle, redesign it as a Relic.
Additionally, you have built one minor device, chosen from the list below. You may change this selection between [Scenes].
Grapnel gun EX: This gun-like device can launch a hook and line, allowing for an easy travel. As a move action, you may travel to a point within your movement range that you have line of effect to, even if the intervening terrain would otherwise prevent this.
Master Toolkit EX: You have your own set of... unique tools that you have created. This gives you  a +3 bonus to Engineering checks
Universal Translator EX: You may use this device to understand languages. Are are continuously under the effects of the Comprehend Languages spell.
Overcomplicated Watch EX: This watch you made seems to have an over-abundance of gears and too many hands. You gain a +1 bonus on reflex saves.

Circle 2- Insane Genius EX: You have a different way of thinking about things, which can prove to be brutally effective at times. As part of a move action, you can laugh maniacally as you unleash a fiendish plot. This increases the save DC of any ability you activate this [Round] by 2.

Circle 3- Tinker EX: You have constructed more  devices. You gain access to one of the following items. You may change your selection between [Scenes].
Anti-gravity belt EX: You gain the fly movement mode.
   Flying Cameras EX: You have a number of flying camera drones, which function as if you cast the spell Prying Eyes. Additionally, as a swift action you can command a camera to activate its flash. A target within [Close] range of the eye must make a reflex save (DC 10+ ½ your level + your intelligence modifier) or be [Blinded] for 1 round. If they succeed on the save, they are [Dazzled] for 1 round instead.
   Tesla Coil EX: You may strike opponents within [Long] range with lightning as a standard action at will, dealing 2d4 [Electricity] damage per level. A Reflex save (DC    10 + ½ level + our intelligence modifier) halves this damage.
    Repulsion field EX: Once per [Encounter], you may activate your repulsion field, which functions as the Repelling Ward spell.

Circle 4 - Gizmo EX:
 You may select one of the following devices. may change this selection between [Scenes]
Shrink Ray EX:Once per [Encounter], you can spend a swift action to fire a Shrink Ray with your Death Ray in place of a single attack. If it hits, instead  of dealing damage you shrink your opponent. This reduces their speed reduced by 10ft, gives them a 5ft penalty to [Melee] range(minimum 5ft), gives them a -2 penalty on saves against combat maneuvers, and they take a penalty to all damage they deal equal to half your level, but also grants them a +1 bonus to AC and attack rolls. This effect lasts for 1 [Round] for every  2 circles of Crazed Inventor you have.
   Protective Shield EX: You have a shield that can absorb a limited amount of damage each [Round]. Every [Round], at the beginning of your turn, you gain temporary hitpoints equal to your level.
   Invisibility belt EX: Once per [Encounter] as a Standard action, you may activate Greater Invisibility as the spell.
   Teleportation device EX: Once per [Encounter], as a standard action you may [Teleport] to a location within [Long] range.

Circle 5 - Gadget EX:
You have built and even more impressive gadget. You gain one of the following abilities. This choice may be changed between [Scenes]
Freeze Ray EX: Once per [Encounter], you can spend a swift action to fire a Freeze Ray with your Death Ray in place of an attack. All damage dealt by this attack is [Cold] damage, and if it deals damage, the target creature is [Petrified] in ice for 1 [Round]. A fortitude save (DC 10 + ½ level + your intelligence modifier) negates this effect
 Battle Armor EX: You have built mechanics into one suit of armor you possess, granting it the Streamlined and Traveler’s enhancement at no additional cost.
Gravity pulse EX: As a move action, you can unleash a gravity pulse, causing all other creatures within [Medium] range to lose the [Flying] condition, the fly movement mode, and the ability to get the fly movement mode  for 2 [Rounds.
   Scanner EX: This handheld device detects nearby creatures, causing you to be aware of whether or not there are any creatures within [Medium] range and causing them to be [Revealed] to you as long as they are in range

Circle 6 - Contraption EX:
Your contraptions are becoming ever more outstanding. You gain one of the following devices. This choice may be changed between [Scenes].
Disintegration Ray EX: Once per [Round], you can spent a swift action to fire a Disintegration Ray with your Death Ray in place of an attack. This attack deals bonus damage equal to 4 times your level if it hits and causes your target to be [Battered]. A successful fortitude save (DC 10 + ½ level + your intelligence modifier) halves the bonus damage and prevents the attack from reducing your target below 1 hit point. This is a [Death] effect.
Alternatively, you may use this ability to destroy up to a 10-ft cube of mundane material.
   Rift Generator EX: Twice per [Encounter], you may [Teleport] to a location within [Long] range as a move action.
   Holographic Projector EX: Once per [Encounter], you may create a hologram of yourself, as per the spell Project Image
   Sonic Probe EX: You gain a +2 bonus on Larceny checks, and when you make a Burglary or Disable Device check, it may apply to any or all applicable targets for such an action within [Medium] range. Additionally, once per [Encounter] you may reverse a [Teleport] effect as an immediate action. Once per [Encounter], you may force all enemies within [Close] range to make a fortitude save(DC 10+1/2 level + your intelligence modifier) or be [Slowed] for 1 [Round].

Circle 7 - Doomsday Device: Once per [Scene], as a standard action, you can unveil your latest Doomsday Device. This occupies one square within your [Melee] range. After 30 seconds (5 [Rounds]), it will activate, doing 6 damage per level and apply the [Battered] condition to all creatures within [Extreme] range. A successful fortitude save (DC 10 + ½ level + your intelligence modifier) prevents this from reducing your hp below 1. This is a [Death] effect
The device can be disabled before it goes off. A creature adjacent to the device may spend a standard action to work towards disabling it. 5 such attempts must be made to deactivate it safely. A successful  Larceny check while attempting to Disable the device ( DC 10+your level + your intelligence modifier) makes the attempt count twice
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 11:36:12 AM by Mystify »
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

Greybender

• Elite
  • Eye of Seeing Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Crazed Inventor
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 02:06:24 AM »
Overcomplicated watch...how about slowing time, granting a plus to reflex saves and AC?
The game would implode into rocket tag in a twisted mockery of all that is wrong with 3.5, angels would weep and the skies would fall, and it would all be your fault. Yours and yours alone.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 02:26:48 AM »
Overcomplicated watch...how about slowing time, granting a plus to reflex saves and AC?
I don't think a bonus to AC is workable, since I would need to type it, and if its typed it needs to scale, and a scaling AC bonus would be way too strong there.
a boost to reflex saves could work. I'll go with that, unless I get a better suggestion.

Narsis

• Elite
  • Pirate Robot Ninja Dragon
  • Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 06:35:20 PM »
i absolutely love circle 2 and circle 7.
Awesome Legend pally avatar by Prime32

Sanctaphrax

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 12:03:17 AM »
For the most part I like it. Particularly the special beams.

Not so sure about circle 2, though. How is it different from a straight +2 to save DCs? I mean, you get a move action every round and I don't see why one couldn't use it as part of any given move action.

Also, it'd be good to explain that the watch works by slowing time. Wouldn't have known if not for the thread.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 12:09:31 AM »
For the most part I like it. Particularly the special beams.

Not so sure about circle 2, though. How is it different from a straight +2 to save DCs? I mean, you get a move action every round and I don't see why one couldn't use it as part of any given move action.

Also, it'd be good to explain that the watch works by slowing time. Wouldn't have known if not for the thread.
"part of a move action" is not free, because it A. slows you down if you use it and B. means you aren't using any other partial move actions. Yes, you can use it whenever you want, but that doesn't mean the cost is irrelevant.

Sanctaphrax

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 12:21:54 AM »
Oh, I see.

The skills which can be used as part of a move action say that using a skill as part of a move action halves your speed, but I didn't realize that the same was meant to apply to that ability.

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
  • Ballot Box Eye of Seeing Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 08:27:37 AM »
FYI: In the section of the Legend book describing actions, mention is made of actions as "part of" other actions in the general sense.
"Trifles go to make perfection, and perfection is no trifle."
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

My friend just shared this: "Remember that time Gandalf convinced the whole party to flee so that he could take out the Balrog and not have to share any of the XP? Shows up the next session with fancy new robes and everything. What a jerk."

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Crazed Inventor(1.0 update)
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 06:54:23 PM »
This has been updated to 1.0. It is mainly wording changes

Regitnui

• Elite
  • Father of the Four
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2013, 03:35:27 AM »
I keep thinking of crossing this with the "Broodmaster" track and Mechanist Savant to create Gru and the minions from Despicable Me.
Sebrica - The House of Corners
A Homebrew Campaign Setting

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2013, 09:04:23 AM »
I keep thinking of crossing this with the "Broodmaster" track and Mechanist Savant to create Gru and the minions from Despicable Me.
lol, nice one