Author Topic: Three New Skill Feats  (Read 2651 times)

Sanctaphrax

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Three New Skill Feats
« on: September 21, 2012, 12:53:45 AM »
One of my favourite things about this game is its approach to skills. Skill feats in particular are pretty cool.

So naturally the first thing I'm going to write for Legend is a trio of skill feats.

Opinions welcome. More than welcome, actually.

All Sorts Of Doctors [Skill]
You're a neurosurgeon, and a veterinarian, and an oncologist, and an obstetrician...the list goes on.
Prerequisites: Medicine as a trained skill.
Benefit: You get a +2 feat bonus to Medicine checks. In addition, ignore all penalties that you would normally incur by using Medicine on a character of a size or character type that differs from your own.

Superior Tracker [Skill]
Footprints are like textbooks to you; you can learn more by looking at a monster's tracks than most people can learn by looking at the monster itself.
Prerequisites: Nature as a trained skill.
Benefit: You get a +3 feat bonus to tracking checks. In addition, whenever you succeed at a tracking check by a margin of 5 or more, you learn the type(s) of the character(s) you're tracking. You may then make an immediate knowledge check to identify them in more detail.

Diplomatic Immunity [Skill]
You are the representative of a greater power, and attacking you is prohibited by laws so powerful that they enforce themselves.
Prerequisites: Diplomacy as a trained skill.
Benefit: You are always under the effect of a Sanctuary spell. If that spell is dispelled, it reasserts itself at the end of the [Encounter].

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Three New Skill Feats
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 01:21:44 AM »
One of my favourite things about this game is its approach to skills. Skill feats in particular are pretty cool.

So naturally the first thing I'm going to write for Legend is a trio of skill feats.

Opinions welcome. More than welcome, actually.

All Sorts Of Doctors [Skill]
You're a neurosurgeon, and a veterinarian, and an oncologist, and an obstetrician...the list goes on.
Prerequisites: Medicine as a trained skill.
Benefit: You get a +2 feat bonus to Medicine checks. In addition, ignore all penalties that you would normally incur by using Medicine on a character of a size or character type that differs from your own.
I like the concept, but it just boils down to stat increases. Skill feats should let you do something cool.
Superior Tracker [Skill]
Footprints are like textbooks to you; you can learn more by looking at a monster's tracks than most people can learn by looking at the monster itself.
Prerequisites: Nature as a trained skill.
Benefit: You get a +3 feat bonus to tracking checks. In addition, whenever you succeed at a tracking check by a margin of 5 or more, you learn the type(s) of the character(s) you're tracking. You may then make an immediate knowledge check to identify them in more detail.
first, a bonus to a partial skill like that isn't great, especially one that is so highly circumstantial. Double so since most of the time, you will know what you are tracking. Also, type isn't very relevant in Legend. It mainly determines what knowledge skill you use, unless its undead.
Diplomatic Immunity [Skill]
You are the representative of a greater power, and attacking you is prohibited by laws so powerful that they enforce themselves.
Prerequisites: Diplomacy as a trained skill.
Benefit: You are always under the effect of a Sanctuary spell. If that spell is dispelled, it reasserts itself at the end of the [Encounter].
This is rather strong for a feat. Maybe if it as iconic. Maybe. Or if you let them cast sanctuary on themselves 1/encounter. but a free spell each encounter  for no cost is quite powerful.
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
  • Ballot Box Eye of Seeing Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 08:41:38 AM »
Those first 2 feats sound fine. Despite what Mystify says, not all skill feats need to let you do something. Mystic Healer is a perfect example to this fact.

I'm not sure w/ Diplomatic Immunity. Probably go w/ Mystify's suggestion of a casting once per encounter.

@Mystify: Who says you'll know the type that you're tracking most of the time. Also, Superior Tracker works with the one aspect that type is useful for, so downplaying the type system like you did in this case is meaningless.
"Trifles go to make perfection, and perfection is no trifle."
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

My friend just shared this: "Remember that time Gandalf convinced the whole party to flee so that he could take out the Balrog and not have to share any of the XP? Shows up the next session with fancy new robes and everything. What a jerk."

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 09:32:39 AM »
I somehow missed the final line of superior tracker. That makes it significantly better.
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

Tenno Seremel

• Shaman
  • Elite
  • Destiny is chain for the weak.
  • Typo Hammer Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 10:32:08 AM »
The thing with Sanctuary is… it's a thing that while powerful it doesn't really stack that well. If all people in your party have this feat then enemies still have as many tries as you have party members (action is not wasted). It increases party's survival rate in an ambush, though. It will (mostly) be relevant at the start of an encounter which means if there is an ambush your enemies might just delay their round until they can attack target they need.

It might still be a bit too strong for a feat. I gave similar ability to a track once, though, but with limitations.

EDIT: I missed "for the [Encounter]", part (~_~)' That's kinda strong for a 1st circle spell.
EDIT2: Now I know where I've got that idea. But rules, so yeah…
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 01:23:41 PM by Tenno Seremel »

Tharinock

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 01:45:03 PM »
Proposed change for diplomatic immunity:
At the start of an encounter, you are automatically considered to be under the effects of a sanctuary spell. However, you only gain the benefit against enemies you can see and are aware of. Additionally, if one creature succeeds on the save and attacks you, then the effect is completely dispelled.

This way ambushes still function fine, and it reduces the power on the spell a bit since you essentially get it as a passive.

Sanctaphrax

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 12:48:09 AM »
Diplomatic Immunity really should be passive. It represents the protection of something godlike, not something you can do.

For the same reason, I don't see why it would fail against ambushes.

But I think making it Iconic would be a decent idea. And I can see an argument for making it fail when penetrated.

Which of those do y'all think would be best?

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
  • Ballot Box Eye of Seeing Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2012, 09:57:09 AM »
Since you'd rather keep the passive aspect, I'd say that [Iconic] would be the best way to go.
"Trifles go to make perfection, and perfection is no trifle."
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

My friend just shared this: "Remember that time Gandalf convinced the whole party to flee so that he could take out the Balrog and not have to share any of the XP? Shows up the next session with fancy new robes and everything. What a jerk."

Tenno Seremel

• Shaman
  • Elite
  • Typo Hammer Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2012, 12:15:08 PM »
The best is to wait for Legend 1.0… :)

Sanctaphrax

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2012, 05:22:12 PM »
Why?

Will 1.0 contain something like this?

Tenno Seremel

• Shaman
  • Elite
  • Typo Hammer Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2012, 05:25:05 PM »
I'd say it but it's forbidden by rules to tell about it on the forum :| You can join IRC channel and get a link there, though.

http://www.ruleofcool.com/smf/index.php/topic,242.0.html

Sanctaphrax

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2012, 05:56:50 PM »
Oh, yeah. Forgot about that rule.

Kitsune_Kinomi

• Ranger
  • Elite
  • I love foxes, can you tell?
  • Eye of Seeing Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2012, 09:18:03 PM »
I think it all looks pretty good would you mind if I used a few of these?
"The mark of a immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one. "
~ Wilhelm Stekel

"I thought I'd pretend I was one of those blind deaf-mutes."
~ Catcher in the Rye, J. D. Salinger

"The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power."
~ Julius Cesar, William Shakespeare

My Moonshine

Sanctaphrax

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2012, 05:35:41 AM »
Go ahead.

If you weren't allowed to use 'em they wouldn't be here.