Author Topic: Warmage track  (Read 3343 times)

Prime32

• Minion
  • Problem Solver
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Warmage track
« on: March 08, 2012, 08:30:04 AM »
Still puzzling out Legend balance, but let me know what you think.

Warmage

Acquiring the Warmage track changes your KDM to Intelligence unless Intelligence is already your KOM.

For the purposes of this track, an "arcana" is a spell, SLA or Su ability which requires a standard action to use.

First Circle - Focus Arcana: Whenever you cast an arcana that affects an area, you may have it affect only a single square of that area. Whenever you cast an arcana that affects multiple targets, you may have it affect only a single target. You may choose for an arcana used in this manner to deal additional damage equal to your KOM, even if it would not normally deal damage. If the arcana would restore hit points, this instead increases the amount healed.

Second Circle - Delay Arcana I: As a move action, you can partially cast an arcana of one circle lower than your highest available. In any [Round] where you deal damage to an enemy, you may use the arcana against them as a move action. Arcana cast in this manner are automatically affected by Focus Arcana if possible. This ability may only hold one delayed arcana at a time. If your delayed arcana is unused it fades at the end of the [Encounter].

Third Circle - Counter ArcanaSLA: Once per [Encounter] as an immediate action, you may negate the effects of a single arcana within [Close] range as it is used. This requires you to make an Arcana check as if to identify the effect; if your check fails then the arcana is not countered but neither is Counter Arcana expended. As part of the action to use this ability, you may render one of your arcana with remaining uses [Sealed] to gain a bonus on the roll equal to its circle; most warmages with this ability choose to seal spells. You cannot counter an arcana which is already in effect. You automatically succeed on countering your own arcana.
The [Sealed] condition can be applied to any ability; if it has a limited number of uses then applying this condition expends all those uses, and if it can be used at will then the ability becomes unavailable until the end of the [Encounter]. An ability with no remaining uses cannot become [Sealed] unless it is self-only and has a duration of [Encounter] or longer, in which case it ends immediately.

Fourth Circle - Delay Arcana II: As Delay Arcana I, except that you use an arcana of two circles lower than your maximum, and it requires swift actions rather than move actions. This delayed arcana is in addition to that provided by Delay Arcana I (it does not replace it). You may not release both delayed arcana in response to the same source of damage.

Fifth Circle - Arcane Break: Twice per [Encounter], when you cast an arcana you may choose to deal 1 additional damage per level you possess, and end one magical effect on the target of a circle equal to or lower than the circle of the arcana used. This otherwise functions as the effects of a dispel magic spell.

Sixth Circle - Arcane FusionSLA: As a standard action you may cast both of your delayed arcana at once. Use the arcana stored by Delay Arcana II as a base, and add to it the effects of the arcana stored by Delay Arcana I. Targets make a single saving throw against both arcana, and combine the damage of both arcana before any effect which would reduce it. You cannot use this ability unless you have two delayed arcana prepared.

Seventh Circle - Reverse Arcana: You may use Counter Arcana twice per [Encounter]. Instead of negating an arcana, you may modify it in one of the following ways:
  • Apply the effects of your Focus Arcana ability to the arcana, targeting you or your square. Use your KOM for determining the effects of Focus Arcana, not the opponent's.
  • Negate the arcana, and also recover hit points equal to the damage you would have taken from it (plus your KOM, if it could be affected by Focus Arcana). This is not a [Healing] or [Negative] effect. If you possess a [Vulnerability] to the type of damage dealt by the arcana, this is converted to [Resistance] against the healing.

Spellblade
Prerequisites: Just Blade and Warmage tracks, character level 9th
Benefit: As long as you have at least one delayed arcana, your energy blade is considered to hold a charge (as via your Mystic Focus ability).
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 11:27:13 AM by Prime32 »

gkathellar

• Tactician
  • Global Moderator
  • Ace
  • My right hand was thunder, and my left was stone
  • Scroll of Scribes RoC Staff Dungeon Delver Eye of Seeing Dev Team Art Aficionado Magic 8-Ball
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Warmage track
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 09:56:29 AM »
For the purposes of this track, an "arcana" is a spell, Sp or Su ability which requires a standard action to use.

"Sp" should read "SLA" instead.

First Circle - Focus Arcana:

Interesting, although this may not be very useful at first circle, since there isn't much in the way of 1st-circle AoE effects. (Earthspike is the only one I can think of offhand.)

Second Circle - Delay Arcana I:

... cool. Install a use limit so you can only reserve one arcana at a time, and I think you're set. It might be possible to switch this to 1st Circle, but I'm not positive.

Third Circle - Counter Arcana:

In the text, you refer to this ability as Counterspell, but the name provided is Counter Arcana.

This is powerful. Fiat abilities of this type need careful consideration, and I'm not certain it's okay for 3rd Circle.

Fourth Circle - Delay Arcana II:

Fine.

Fifth Circle - Arcane Surge:

[Nauseated] is a harsh penalty to inflict on oneself. Really harsh. [Slowed], maybe? Or a small amount of [HP Reduction]? If this really needs to have a cost and not just a use limit.

Sixth Circle - Arcane Fusion:

Does this ability cast both spells? Or does it just get both spells ready to cast as a later move action? Because if the latter, this should absolutely not have a standard action cost.

Seventh Circle - Reverse Arcana:

The first option is a nice hijacking effect, and a good partial capstone. The second doesn't seem like it actually does anything the Counter Arcana didn't already do.
Seven is the Number of Legend.
This is my mod voice.

Prime32

• Minion
  • Problem Solver
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 10:41:16 AM »
Made some clarifications.

On Counter Arcana:
Quote from: Current Version
Third Circle - Counter Arcana: Once per [Encounter] as an immediate action, you may negate the effects of a single arcana within [Close] range as it is used. This requires you to render one of your arcana with remaining uses [Sealed], which must be of an equal or higher circle than the effect negated; if the [Sealed] arcana is of too low a circle then it remains [Sealed] but Counter Arcana is not expended. Most warmages with this ability choose to seal spells. You may counter your own Arcana if you need to do so, but cannot counter an Arcana which is already in effect.
How's this?
Third Circle - Counter Arcana: Once per [Encounter] as an immediate action, you may negate the effects of a single arcana within [Close] range as it is used. This requires you to make an Arcana check opposed by the caster's Arcana check (a participant who does not have Arcana as a trained skill may substitute their character level); if your check fails then Counter Arcana is not expended. As part of the action to use this ability, you may render one of your arcana with remaining uses [Sealed] to gain a bonus on the roll equal to its circle; most warmages with this ability choose to seal spells. You cannot counter an arcana which is already in effect. You automatically succeed on countering your own Arcana.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 12:08:41 PM by Prime32 »

Tenno Seremel

• Shaman
  • Elite
  • Destiny is chain for the weak.
  • Typo Hammer Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 02:08:16 PM »
Just wondering… Will Glyphweave Adept feat apply in any way or is there no identification in the process of using Counter Arcana?

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 02:45:32 PM »
I will point out that it is not hard to get immunity to nausea, making the arcane surge extremely powerful.
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

Prime32

• Minion
  • Problem Solver
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 02:48:46 PM »
Just wondering… Will Glyphweave Adept feat apply in any way or is there no identification in the process of using Counter Arcana?
True, most recent edit should make things more consistent.

I will point out that it is not hard to get immunity to nausea, making the arcane surge extremely powerful.
Was going to put in something about ignoring immunity... but wasn't sure if it was even going to be nausea in the end. *shrug*

afroakuma

• Administrator
  • Elite
  • Prayer Wing Scroll of Scribes Problem Solver RoC Staff Art Aficionado Aquarius Eye of Seeing Dev Team
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 02:50:02 PM »
Interesting track. I question whether the definition of [Sealed] should go into the first ability it appears in, as has been the process in certain tracks in Core. Iron Magi had its definitions listed before abilities, but then, those definitions were used on every single ability in the track, whereas this only kicks in at... 3rd circle?

Tenno Seremel

• Shaman
  • Elite
  • Destiny is chain for the weak.
  • Typo Hammer Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 03:04:17 PM »
Was going to put in something about ignoring immunity... but wasn't sure if it was even going to be nausea in the end. *shrug*
Or you could just write something like “you skip your next turn/standard action” unless you think that it should be possible to cure that with Cure spells.

Prime32

• Minion
  • Problem Solver
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 03:06:14 PM »
Eh, replaced Arcane Surge with Arcane Break.

...You Lost Me

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2012, 09:42:46 PM »
Eh, replaced Arcane Surge with Arcane Break.
I like it better.

Also, Arcane Delay II seems rather weak. If I can't fire off both spells, what I'm basically getting is the opportunity to take a move action on turns in which I prepare my nova... and that nova will come out weaker in the end too.

Prime32

• Minion
  • Problem Solver
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2012, 09:52:41 PM »
Also, Arcane Delay II seems rather weak. If I can't fire off both spells, what I'm basically getting is the opportunity to take a move action on turns in which I prepare my nova... and that nova will come out weaker in the end too.
You can release one delayed spell in response to another.

...You Lost Me

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2012, 10:09:00 PM »
You can release one delayed spell in response to another.

So then the advantage of arcane fusion is that you're combining both effects into one save / only one instance of resistance applies?