Author Topic: Track: Poisoner  (Read 2525 times)

Merk

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Track: Poisoner
« on: September 29, 2012, 06:43:23 PM »
This'll also do as an introduction -- Hello! I'm a fan of the system, and I play it with my gaming group.

This poison track lacks fluff descriptions. I also haven't been very careful in the wording, so please let me know if anything can be cleaned or cleared up. I'm intending this to be an offensive track roughly compatible in power with Smiting. I'm guessing I made it too powerful, but please take a look and see what you think! I'd appreciate criticism and feedback on this. Thanks!

N.B. -- This introduces a [Poison] tag, and I'm not sure if this is an official thing or not. If not, then I guess you might consider the "Twin Deadly Venoms" ability in Discipline of the Serpent to also be a [Poison] effect. This does nothing until the 6th circle here, or I write other abilities in the future that might offer resistance to [Poison], etc.

Poisoner

1st Circle - Poisoned Strike

When you make a successful physical attack (melee or ranged) against a target, you may choose to inflict a [Poison] condition on that target. You may apply up to your level in [Poison] condition stacks against any given target. A [Poisoned] target takes 1 damage per [Poison] condition at the end of his or her turn. The [Poison] condition last until the end of an [Encounter].

In order to successfully poison a target, you must apply the poison to vulnerable areas of the body or to open wounds. Hence, damage incurred via Poisoned Strike is considered [Precision] damage, and as such does not stack with other [Precision] effects such as Sneak Attack.

A successful Medicine check with DC = 15 + your level + your Poisoner circles can remove poison from a target. You are immune to your own [Poison] effects, but you are not necessarily immune to other [Poison] effects.

2nd Circle - Enfeebling Venom

As a swift action, you may force a target poisoned by you to make a fortitude save DC 10 + your Poisoner circles + your KOM, or suffer [Energy-Drained].

3rd Circle - Poisonous Gas

Once per [Encounter] per 2 character levels, as a standard action, you may breathe poisonous gas in a cone 60 ft. wide. Those caught in the gas must make a fortitude save DC 10 + your Poisoner circles + your KOM, or immediately gain 1/2 your level (rounded up) in [Poison] condition stacks. This is a [Precision] effect.

In addition, your attacks now also apply the [Poison] condition to units within a radius of 5 ft. per two circles of your original target.

4th Circle - Chemical Hazard

You are able to imbue your poison with noxious chemicals. Any opponent that takes damage from your poison also receives 1d6 fire damage and 1d6 cold damage. In addition, Enfeebling Venom now inflicts [Energy-Drained] twice on a failed save.

5th Circle - Mind Flare

You create poisons that infect the mind and corrupt arcane energy. Whenever a target that you poisoned attempts to use a spell-like ability or cast a spell, they immediately take damage equal to the Circle of the ability and must make a will save DC 10 + your Poisoner circles + your KOM or be [Blinded] or [Deafened] at your option (if a target activates this ability multiple times, it might be both blinded and deafened). This is a [Precision] effect.

6th Circle - Meltdown

You absorb poison into your system and excrete it. You are now immune to all poisons and [Poison] conditions, and your poison can burn through organic plants, stones, and metals at a rate of one 5 ft. cube per standard action, similar to an Earthsmasher Pickaxe.

Any target that attacks you in melee gains a [Poison] condition as if you had attacked it. Any creature that begins its turn in your [Melee] range immediately gains a [Poison] condition. In addition, Enfeebling Venom still inflicts [Energy-Drained] once even on a successful save (unless the target uses Hard to Break, or a similar ability.)

Finally, you can use Poisonous Gas as a move action.

7th Circle - Necrotoxins

You are capable of producing deadly toxins capable of slaying a titan. Your poisoned attacks inflict the [Poison] condition twice per attack (this includes units adjacent to your target) and also inflict the [Battered] condition.

In addition, once per [Encounter], you may force a target that you poisoned to make a fortitude save DC 10 + your Precision circles + your KOM or take 4 damage per your level. At your option, instead of dealing damage, you may choose to [Paralyze] your target instead. On a successful save, they take half of that damage (or avoid paralysis). This attack is a [Poison], [Precision], and [Death] effect.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 10:54:11 PM by Merk »

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
  • Ballot Box Eye of Seeing Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Track: Poisoner
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 06:51:37 PM »
Welcome. I actually did a track similar to this a week ago. ;)

C1: I'd recommend calling [Poison] a condition rather than a stack.

C2: Ability penalties are generally frowned upon. Use the [Energy-drained] condition instead.

C5 and C7 seem a little OP. To balance out C5 and C7, since your intent was to make this like Smiting, you may want to make this track be a fury/precision track.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 06:53:17 PM by Yoder »
"Trifles go to make perfection, and perfection is no trifle."
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

My friend just shared this: "Remember that time Gandalf convinced the whole party to flee so that he could take out the Balrog and not have to share any of the XP? Shows up the next session with fancy new robes and everything. What a jerk."

Kitsune_Kinomi

• Ranger
  • Elite
  • I love foxes, can you tell?
  • Eye of Seeing Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 07:32:57 PM »
With C1, you might what to say [Melee] rather then phyisical unless it's your intent to have all ranged damage work on this as well.

With your saves you might want to be carful making things their con mod and and instead use KOM. But it's up to you.

ICY FIRE!!!! Ahem sorry, I find it a little bit odd that C4 does [Fire] and [Cold] damage would consider changing thisto do one or the other? or are you pretty set on that?

C5 seems a little bit out of place to me, but eh. I would definitely say that SU abilities being affected by this just sounds off to me...

Any ways cool track look forward to seeing more from you in the future.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 07:38:38 PM by Kitsune_Kinomi »
"The mark of a immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one. "
~ Wilhelm Stekel

"I thought I'd pretend I was one of those blind deaf-mutes."
~ Catcher in the Rye, J. D. Salinger

"The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power."
~ Julius Cesar, William Shakespeare

My Moonshine

Merk

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 08:12:31 PM »
Thanks for the feedback!

Welcome. I actually did a track similar to this a week ago.

C1: I'd recommend calling [Poison] a condition rather than a stack.

C2: Ability penalties are generally frowned upon. Use the [Energy-drained] condition instead.

C5 and C7 seem a little OP. To balance out C5 and C7, since your intent was to make this like Smiting, you may want to make this track be a fury/precision track.

Thanks! I did search for similar tracks, but I don't think I found yours. Anyway:

1. I've replaced "stack" with "condition" (and changed the wording accordingly) wherever I saw it.
2. [Energy-Drained] has replaced ability penalties.
3. The supernatural part of C5 has been removed, and this is now a [Precision] track.

With C1, you might what to say [Melee] rather then phyisical unless it's your intent to have all ranged damage work on this as well.

With your saves you might want to be carful making things their con mod and and instead use KOM. But it's up to you.

ICY FIRE!!!! Ahem sorry, I find it a little bit odd that C4 does [Fire] and [Cold] damage would consider changing thisto do one or the other? or are you pretty set on that?

C5 seems a little bit out of place to me, but eh. I would definitely say that SU abilities being affected by this just sounds off to me...

Any ways cool track look forward to seeing more from you in the future.

1. I do intend for it to be usable at range, since I like the idea of poisoned arrows, bolts, and shurikens. Do you think that might be too strong?
2. Changed to KOM.
3. I thought the flavor idea of "burning + freezing" chemical poison was cool, but if there's a good mechanical reason that shouldn't be the case, I would probably change it, or consider an alternative like fire + acid.
4. Good point. I've removed SU abilities being affected.

Thanks!

Kitsune_Kinomi

• Ranger
  • Elite
  • I love foxes, can you tell?
  • Eye of Seeing Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 08:19:33 PM »
Thanks for the feedback!

1. I do intend for it to be usable at range, since I like the idea of poisoned arrows, bolts, and shurikens. Do you think that might be too strong?
2. Changed to KOM.
3. I thought the flavor idea of "burning + freezing" chemical poison was cool, but if there's a good mechanical reason that shouldn't be the case, I would probably change it, or consider an alternative like fire + acid.
4. Good point. I've removed SU abilities being affected.

Thanks!
1: no, I was just saying physical just wasn't the most clear thing.
2: I think that's for the best
3: If you really like it you can keep it, I mean goodness sake not every thing has to make perfect logical sence, 90% of what I post makes no sense after all.
4: all right cool.

Thanks for being so open to changes xD definetly don't see that often, but don't worry about defending your opention around us if you like some thing we can always talk it out.
"The mark of a immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one. "
~ Wilhelm Stekel

"I thought I'd pretend I was one of those blind deaf-mutes."
~ Catcher in the Rye, J. D. Salinger

"The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power."
~ Julius Cesar, William Shakespeare

My Moonshine

Merk

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 08:27:03 PM »
Right on. I also changed the description of C1 to make it clear that it applies to melee or ranged attacks.

Grue

• Monk
  • Elite
  • Typo Hammer Eye of Seeing Dungeon Delver
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 09:08:10 PM »
Burst effects instantaneously expand from a point in space (a grid intersection, if you use a battle map) into a sphere. They are blocked by barriers that block line of effect.
this is the definition of "Burst" from the pdf. for 3rd circle, the 5 foot burst would affect a 2X2  area if you use this definition. you would probably want to just say "adjacent opponents". also keep in mind the expanding melee ranges, so people are less likely to be right next to each other as you go up in levels.

Merk

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 10:48:58 PM »
this is the definition of "Burst" from the pdf. for 3rd circle, the 5 foot burst would affect a 2X2  area if you use this definition. you would probably want to just say "adjacent opponents". also keep in mind the expanding melee ranges, so people are less likely to be right next to each other as you go up in levels.

Thanks for catching that. I've changed it to: "In addition, your attacks now also apply the [Poison] condition to units within a radius of 5 ft. per two circles of your original target", which is hopefully more readable and scales better.