Author Topic: Track: A Certain Scientific Railgun (Weapon Scion)  (Read 3429 times)

Kitsune_Kinomi

• Ranger
  • Elite
  • I love foxes, can you tell?
  • Eye of Seeing Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Track: A Certain Scientific Railgun (Weapon Scion)
« on: October 13, 2012, 07:10:47 PM »
Welp, this isn't the original weapon scion I had promised, but I think it's gonna take another run of Xenoblade before I can make a Manado track.
That being said I decided that I was going to make a track based on Misaka Mikoto from A Certain Magical Index/A Certain Scientific Railgun. I really wish I could have made a track based on Karoko but teleporting seems a little over my head so for now you get to enjoy Railgun.
I think next I'm going to post a little bit of my setting, namely a track inherent to one of the two races I added to the core races.

Weapon Scion: Electrokinesis (NON-UNIQUE)
Electrokinesis is the term for a strong electricity-type psionic ability. It grants the user the abbillity to manipulate currents of electricity that are in the air and shape them into powerful attacks. They eventually learn to channel this incredible voltage to weaponize the launching of small metallic objects at high velocity. Though they have a high destructive capability they can often find more mundane and peaceable uses for their powers as well.
Electrokinesis is a bit of an oddity with weapon scions. For some it is not a weapon scion at all but an innate talent that lay with in them. However for other it can be mastered threw the use of various objects that have grant the ability of an Electromaster, such as braclet, necklace, or suit. The exact method of obtained the power of Electrokinesis is rarely important. However it always manifests as a [Elemental (Electricity)], [Magnum], and [Brutal 1] ranged natural weapon.

1st Circle
Lightning Attack SpearEX: By concentrating electricity in your hand, you can shoot a tendril of lightning. Electrokinesis is treated as a Lesser Magical Item and gains the [Energized (Electricity)] enchantment.

2nd Circle
Iron Sand Whip SwordSU: You can form an amorphous sword by gathering metal particles from your surroundings, and the vibrating blade yields cutting power comparable to a chainsaw's. You permanently gain a [Guardian], [Parrying], and [Reach] melee weapon with the [Extradimensional] and [Neutralizing] enchantments. This weapon is treated as a mundane weapon despite the enchantments it bears. It will take up a magical item slot if you decide to enchant it, and the preexisting enchantments do not count against its enchantment point allotment.
Additionally, Electrokinesis gains the [Distant 1] property.

3rd Circle
RailgunSLA: By utilizing the Lorentz force created from forming parallel currents around your hand, you learn to fire metal projectiles at the speed of sound. As a standard action, you fire a projectile at a specific location within [Medium] range with which you have line of effect. This manifests as a 5 ft wide line that deals 1d4 physical damage per level to all creatures in the area, and continues until it reaches the limit of [Medium] range or strikes an obstruction (such as a solid wall). The line deals damage to the obstruction and, if that damage is sufficient to break through the obstruction, continues as normal. Any creature affected is entitled to a Reflex save (DC 10 + 1/2 level + KOM) for half damage.

4th Circle
ShockerSU: By manipulating the mundane electrical currents in flowing around you, you can cause a swath to become super charged with static electricity. Once per [Encounter] as a move action, you deal 1d6 [Electricity] damage per level to all within 50ft of you.
Additionally, Electrokinesis gains the [Distant 2] property.

5th Circle
Unstoppable RailgunSLA: You can fire your railgun at twice the speed of sound. Railgun's range increases to [Long], and it instead deals 2d4 physical damage per level. Additonally, railgun ignores 1 point of [Damage Reduction] or [Resistance] per circle of this track that you possess. Also, creatures who fail the Reflex save against railgun become [Prone].

6th Circle
Static DischargeSU: Once per [Encounter] as a standard action, you call up 1 burst of electricity per 2 levels all over the battlefield (within [Medium] range). The bursts have a 5 ft radius and each does 1d6 [Electricity] damage per level, with a Reflex save (DC 10 + 1/2 level + KOM) for half damage. The bursts cannot overlap.
Additionally, Electrokinesis gains the [Distant 3] property.

7th Circle
Super Electromagenetic CannonSLA: You've reach the pinnacle of the railgun technique, firing at thrice the speed of sound. Once per [Encounter] as a standard action, you fire a projectile at a specific location within [Extreme] range with which you have line of effect. This manifests as a 5 ft wide line that deals 40d6 physical damage to all creatures in the area, and continues until it reaches the limit of [Extreme] range or strikes an obstruction (such as a solid wall). The line deals damage to the obstruction and, if that damage is sufficient to break through the obstruction, continues as normal. This effect ignores all [Damage Reduction] and [Miss Chance] and will leave all who do not pass a Fort save (DC 10 + 1/2 level + KOM) [Battered].
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 01:31:22 PM by Kitsune_Kinomi »
"The mark of a immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one. "
~ Wilhelm Stekel

"I thought I'd pretend I was one of those blind deaf-mutes."
~ Catcher in the Rye, J. D. Salinger

"The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power."
~ Julius Cesar, William Shakespeare

My Moonshine

Kitsune_Kinomi

• Ranger
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Track: A Certain Scientific Railgun (Weapon Scion)
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 07:11:09 PM »
Version Log
Version 1.0
Version 1.2
   - Made format consistent with Weapon Scions

Version 1.1
   - Downgraded C7 from d8 to d6, via Yoder's suggestion.

Version 1.0
   - Posted the track
   - Posted the introduction
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 11:24:07 PM by Kitsune_Kinomi »
"The mark of a immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one. "
~ Wilhelm Stekel

My Moonshine

Sanctaphrax

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Track: A Certain Scientific Railgun (Weapon Scion)
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 10:47:13 PM »
I feel like I'm missing some context here...does this track give Electrokinesis or does it enhance Electrokinesis from another source?

And what's this Weapon Scion stuff?

Also the final circle seems rather powerful. I know final circles are supposed to be awesome, but...that's 180 damage on average, to multiple targets, with no way that I can see to avoid it. Does it allow a Reflex save like the lesser versions? And does it knock people prone?

Apart from that, looks cool to me.

Kitsune_Kinomi

• Ranger
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 10:59:56 PM »
I feel like I'm missing some context here...does this track give Electrokinesis or does it enhance Electrokinesis from another source?
It gives you Electrokinesis, it's a weapon Scion track I'll explain in a second.

All right Scions are a homebrew idea created by Yoder (Here is one of his) I tend to use it a lot because it makes creating tracks very easy. They bascily are a item that are more powerful then Artifact items. They grow with you and grant a track. It came from 3.5.

Also the final circle seems rather powerful. I know final circles are supposed to be awesome, but...that's 180 damage on average, to multiple targets, with no way that I can see to avoid it. Does it allow a Reflex save like the lesser versions? And does it knock people prone?
The damage out put is very high... That some thing that I was thinking about and I do like the high damage out put, (if you have seen the sorce anime this girl obilterates matter with a quarter) and it's intention that their is no save, but they are not knocked prone. Basicly C5 is an upgrade to C3 and C7 is it's on once off attack. Most of the attacks aside from C1, C2, C3, C5 are all once off abbilites, that why they are a little on the high damage. As for multiple people it's rareish for people to sand back to back to back... but yes it is very very strong.

Apart from that, looks cool to me.

Thank you for you positive input ^^ any more questions I'll be happy to clear them up.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 11:16:14 PM by Kitsune_Kinomi »
~ Wilhelm Stekel

My Moonshine

Sanctaphrax

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 09:59:20 PM »
All right Scions are a homebrew idea created by Yoder (Here is one of his) I tend to use it a lot because it makes creating tracks very easy. They bascily are a item that are more powerful then Artifact items. They grow with you and grant a track. It came from 3.5.

That's pretty cool!

But if electrokinesis is a natural weapon, then doesn't that kind of interfere with the Weapon Scion concept?

The damage out put is very high... That some thing that I was thinking about and I do like the high damage out put, (if you have seen the sorce anime this girl obilterates matter with a quarter) and it's intention that their is no save, but they are not knocked prone. Basicly C5 is an upgrade to C3 and C7 is it's on once off attack. Most of the attacks aside from C1, C2, C3, C5 are all once off abbilites, that why they are a little on the high damage. As for multiple people it's rareish for people to sand back to back to back... but yes it is very very strong.

I think it could stand to be scaled back a tad. To me, it makes Circle 7 of Demo Man and Circle 5 of Discipline of the Serpent look bad. And those are the closest comparisons I can think of.

Kormael

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 10:29:01 PM »
i vote the 4th circle be renamed to Biribiri

Kitsune_Kinomi

• Ranger
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 11:30:51 PM »
I thought about naming it that too xD
~ Wilhelm Stekel

My Moonshine

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
  • Ballot Box Eye of Seeing Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 08:43:53 AM »
Hey, looks good.

@Sanctaphrax: In what way does a natural weapon granted by a track interfere? I won't deny that, as far as official material is concerned, only racial tracks give natural weapons, and being a natural weapon does basically prevent disarming (though I'd be afraid to see what levels of beheading that disarming a psychic power would involve). Weapons that get [Extradimensional] function nearly indetically, except you are always considered to be wielding a natural weapon. From what I can see, the benefits of the scion being a natural weapon are accounted for point-wise in C1 (Kitsune didn't publicly tabulate the points like I do in mine, but it being a natural weapon seems to occupy 1 enchantment point from the abilities gained at C1). If you've got any other questions regarding weapon scions feel free to ask here or PM me.

Yeah, maybe C7 should be ticked back to d6s instead of d8s. Thematically speaking, I'd still keep the lack of a save.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 08:47:38 AM by Yoder »
"Trifles go to make perfection, and perfection is no trifle."
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

My friend just shared this: "Remember that time Gandalf convinced the whole party to flee so that he could take out the Balrog and not have to share any of the XP? Shows up the next session with fancy new robes and everything. What a jerk."

Kitsune_Kinomi

• Ranger
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 08:50:34 AM »
As far as natural weapons, the only reason it's natural is because of Misaka the orginal. When I implament this personally I make it a braclet to fit along with the other ones. Keep in mind a natural weapon is not that different from the [extradimentional] enchantment. So it's really only worth one point even if it's ranged.

As for damage, I really don't want to mess with C7 until I run some more solid numbers, I'm not saying it one change, but I'm saying it might not change now.
~ Wilhelm Stekel

My Moonshine

Sanctaphrax

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2012, 12:38:36 AM »
@Sanctaphrax: In what way does a natural weapon granted by a track interfere?

My limited understanding of the Weapon Scion concept tells me that a Weapon Scion track is like any other track except linked to a specific item. If there's no item, and the weapon is natural, isn't it just an ordinary track?

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
  • Ballot Box Eye of Seeing Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2012, 08:44:23 AM »
Oh, I see what you were asking about now. Many of a scion track's features could be modeled as a normal track. The difference comes in that the weapon/armor/shield itself is upgraded through the course of the track by an array of properties and enchantments, not to mention all scions end up with an item bonus 3 higher than artifacts (the C1: Weapon Scion ability). I won't deny that making the weapon scion a natural weapon does lessen some of the distinguishing aspects. Hopefully that clarified things a bit.
"Trifles go to make perfection, and perfection is no trifle."
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

My friend just shared this: "Remember that time Gandalf convinced the whole party to flee so that he could take out the Balrog and not have to share any of the XP? Shows up the next session with fancy new robes and everything. What a jerk."

Kitsune_Kinomi

• Ranger
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2012, 10:39:26 AM »
Just gunna add my own two cents
Basicly I called a weapon scion because it mostly still follows a weapon scion progression. It gains some additional abbility this is true but behind the scenes the way I built the track was using the templet for a scion. It could be modeled like a normal track, however I just chose to give it the weapon scion typing.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 11:01:45 AM by Kitsune_Kinomi »
~ Wilhelm Stekel

My Moonshine

Kitsune_Kinomi

• Ranger
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2012, 12:15:32 PM »
All righty, I down graded the damage and made a little less, destruction in a quarter form. That being said I'm not sure if any thing else really need tweeking that badly, so thanks for every ones input (please post more if you have any thing inparticular you think needs work)
~ Wilhelm Stekel

My Moonshine