Author Topic: Mechanic: Bashing (Weapon Property)  (Read 5347 times)

Kitsune_Kinomi

• Ranger
  • Elite
  • I love foxes, can you tell?
  • Eye of Seeing Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Mechanic: Bashing (Weapon Property)
« on: October 14, 2012, 03:59:36 PM »
All right I'm just gunna flat out say this, I didn't actually come up with this idea. It's some thing that my editor talks about all the time and I'm not sure if any one has already technically come out and given this a name yet that being said I'm still giving it version notes just like a normal thing because it will fit better for the reference.

One of the weapon properties is called [Throwing], well their have been several times that either I or a player have had to model a wepon that is tecially a ranged weapon but the player uses it to beat the snot out of things at close range too (think Mami's rifle from Puella Magi)

All I'm suggesting is that [Throwing] have a partner named [Bashing] That allows you to make Melee attacks with a ranged weapon rather then doing what I have been doing witch is making a Rifle melee range then give it the throwing property. It's just for track clerity sake as I'm well away you can fluff this away very eaisly.

Bashing weapons allow the welder of a ranged weapon to not provoke an attack of opportunity when in melee range.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 12:37:40 PM by Kitsune_Kinomi »
"The mark of a immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one. "
~ Wilhelm Stekel

"I thought I'd pretend I was one of those blind deaf-mutes."
~ Catcher in the Rye, J. D. Salinger

"The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power."
~ Julius Cesar, William Shakespeare

My Moonshine

Kitsune_Kinomi

• Ranger
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Mechanic: Bashing (Weapon Property)
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 03:59:50 PM »
Version Log
Version 1.0
   - Posted the original idea
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 04:26:19 PM by Kitsune_Kinomi »
"The mark of a immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one. "
~ Wilhelm Stekel

My Moonshine

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
  • Ballot Box Eye of Seeing Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 04:03:41 PM »
It would definitely be more clear, especially for people new to the system. They might already be clearing this issue up for 1.0, but who knows?
"Trifles go to make perfection, and perfection is no trifle."
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

My friend just shared this: "Remember that time Gandalf convinced the whole party to flee so that he could take out the Balrog and not have to share any of the XP? Shows up the next session with fancy new robes and everything. What a jerk."

Greybender

• Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 04:08:09 PM »
Well historically weapons have been made to be used in such a way, to enable the user to use other parts of the weapon as an improvised one, so you could determine the weapon being used in [melee] as an improvised weapon, generating one or two weapon properties. Bringing approximately  the same results as [bashing].
The game would implode into rocket tag in a twisted mockery of all that is wrong with 3.5, angels would weep and the skies would fall, and it would all be your fault. Yours and yours alone.

Kitsune_Kinomi

• Ranger
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 04:24:15 PM »
This is very true. However at least to me it sounds just a notch less confusign then saying the thing is a thrownign melee weapon. The primary purpose of this is more for when I'm making tracks that use such weapons to be able to say it has the [Bashing] Property as opposed to explaining that I intend the weapon to be used improvised. It's just a little more fomal in my opention. Like I said in the original post this isn't really some thing I even consider my idea or an actual contribution, just didn't know were else to suggest it.
~ Wilhelm Stekel

My Moonshine

chris`

• Design and Testing Lead
  • Core Team
  • Minion
  • Dev Team Ballot Box Magic 8-Ball RoC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 04:30:12 PM »
We don't do this for a fairly simple reason. If you're using a rifle in melee, you're not using it as a rifle. In the Legend weapons rules, the obvious solution is a separate melee weapon - maybe "Rifle Butt" or "Bayonet" - which you switch to as a swift action and which you would modify separately.

In contrast, when you use a melee weapon as a thrown weapon, it typically doesn't require changing your grip on the weapon, completely changing your stance, or using a completely different striking surface, so it reasonably can be the same weapon.
Chris Campbell
Design and Testing Lead
Rule of Cool Gaming

Kitsune_Kinomi

• Ranger
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 04:31:29 PM »
I suppose I can see that too ^^;
~ Wilhelm Stekel

My Moonshine

Kitsune_Kinomi

• Ranger
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 04:52:49 PM »
Actully just out of curriousity would that mean that you would have to enchant the item's seperatly? Like if my rifle is a relic quality would I have to treat the butt as a different weapon and their for make it a greater or lesser enchantment?
~ Wilhelm Stekel

My Moonshine

Tharinock

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 04:10:55 AM »
From a strictly mechanical perspective, ignoring all fluff, [Bashing] would then be strictly better than [Thrown[. They would both have equal range and melee options. However, a melee weapon is consumed when thrown while a [Bashing] weapon is not. There is a section on improvised weapon rules that may handle your situation appropriately. Or maybe a [Bashing] weapon only benefits from one of the other properties when used melee, or does reduced damage or something like that? If you want a bayonet, you could make one with the [Quick Draw] property. Perhaps maybe some sort of [Dual Wield] or [Offhand] or [Bayonet] property would work too, letting you wield that weapon at the same time as another weapon, effectively letting you have your ranged and melee options ready.

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
  • Ballot Box Eye of Seeing Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2012, 08:46:54 AM »
That's a misunderstanding, even though it makes some sense. You don't consume a ranged weapon when using it, and a [throwing] weapon behaves exactly as a ranged weapon does when used that way.
"Trifles go to make perfection, and perfection is no trifle."
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

My friend just shared this: "Remember that time Gandalf convinced the whole party to flee so that he could take out the Balrog and not have to share any of the XP? Shows up the next session with fancy new robes and everything. What a jerk."

Grue

• Monk
  • Elite
  • Typo Hammer Eye of Seeing Dungeon Delver
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2012, 09:05:57 AM »
it is assumed you have however many [throwing] weapons on your person that you want to throw, or some other mechanic to mechanic to make sure you always have it available (ex: boomerang returning).

gkathellar

• Tactician
  • Global Moderator
  • Ace
  • My right hand was thunder, and my left was stone
  • Scroll of Scribes RoC Staff Dungeon Delver Eye of Seeing Dev Team Art Aficionado Magic 8-Ball
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2012, 09:18:35 AM »
The issue here is that any such property would be identical to Throwing. That is to say, it would have exactly the same results and do exactly the same thing. A rifle with a broad stock that you chose to represent with [Brutal 2][Bashing] would be exactly identical to a rifle with a broad stock that you chose to represent with [Brutal 2][Throwing].

However, a melee weapon is consumed when thrown while a [Bashing] weapon is not.

This is incorrect, and nothing in the text supports it. [Throwing] weapons are not consumed upon use.
Seven is the Number of Legend.
This is my mod voice.

Kitsune_Kinomi

• Ranger
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2012, 10:17:57 AM »
The issue here is that any such property would be identical to Throwing. That is to say, it would have exactly the same results and do exactly the same thing. A rifle with a broad stock that you chose to represent with [Brutal 2][Bashing] would be exactly identical to a rifle with a broad stock that you chose to represent with [Brutal 2][Throwing].

Thank you GK, this is what I was getting at with the original post. I'm not trying to say I made some thing new I was trying to give a name that was a little more accurate to a ranged [Throwing] weapon for shot hand use in my home brew.
~ Wilhelm Stekel

My Moonshine

Exelixi

• Barbarian
  • Ace
  • Dwarfs can do lots of stuff. Like dig.
  • Contest Champion Dungeon Delver Eye of Seeing
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2012, 11:05:42 PM »
I just geneal.y tell my players that [Throwing] is for anything that can be used up close and far away, whether it's ACTUALLY a throwing axe or ACTUALLY a musket with a bayonet. (Or a power suit that has a laser cannon and power fist. :3)
http://www.ruleofcool.com/smf/index.php/topic,1185.0.html - A point-buy chassis (class) system. Perfectly balanced by the judicious application of SCIENCE!

""Release your inner dwarf.  Then get him some ale!" -EspyLacopa
"I have no idea what Exelixi looks like. I just picture crow feathers and a claymore." -Fro