Author Topic: Track: 11th Dimensional Calculus  (Read 6751 times)

Kitsune_Kinomi

• Ranger
  • Elite
  • I love foxes, can you tell?
  • Eye of Seeing Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Track: 11th Dimensional Calculus
« on: October 19, 2012, 06:47:50 PM »
Howdy partners. I've whipped up a track that I didn't think I was going to end up doing. However I ended up looking into Shirai Kuroko a good bit more, namely I'm watching threw 'Toaru Kagaku no Railgun' and noticed that most of her powers actually would work out fairly well in legend. So I started writing down notes and looking stuff up about her. And thus this track came together before I was done working on my other one.
Just to clear some thing up, 11th Dimensional Calculus is just a joke between me and few of my players who watch the show. When I first hear reference to the way that Kuroko's power worked (it's based on her doing an 11th dimensional calculations) I thought that it had said 'calculus' rather then 'calculation'. So basically the name of of this track is some what of an inside joke between me and my friends. And the track really should be named '11th Dimensional Calculations' however that sounds boring an weird.
Well all that being said I'm still working on converting my track over from 3.5, which is proving a little bit harder then one might think. When I post it though I'm probably just gunna give it the normal intro since it has it's roots in anime just like all my other tracks.
Final closing notes, I'm not real set on any of the names of these tracks, and as for c6 and c7 they are... ummm... difficult to balance. So if you guys have any suggestions on who to tweak things to make then a little bit more ballanced then I'm all ears.

11th Dimensional Calculus

The nature of teleportation is a fickle thing. The workings of magic often have their place in the explanation of a shift in space and time, however you have a different way of moving things in space time. A knack for the supernatural, or the scientific? That much is note known however you do know that these these shifts must be done by making calculations in your head, and can only affect those things in which you touch.

Circle 1
Spatial MovementSU: A most curious thing, you can move things instantaneously by merely touching them and doing a few calculations in your head. This power is indeed strong, but strange as well; you don't dare push your limits right now. As a standard action, you can move any object within [Melee Range] anywhere within [Close Range]. This can not be used on living creatures... yet. This does however manifest a specific ability as well.
Just Stay DownSU: Once per [Encounter] as an immediate action, when a foe within [Melee] range is knocked
[Prone], you can attempt to restrain them with thick nails. The opponent must make a [Reflex Save] (10 + 1/2 level + KOM) 
or remain [Prone] for an additional round, taking no action that round.

Circle 2
Go The DistanceSU: The gears are turning. You can tell that the study of the 11th dimension is some thing much deeper then you will probably ever understand. However this doesn't mean some of the more obvious applications escape you. Melee weapons you wield are treated as having the [Throwing] property, and ranged weapons you wield are treated as having the [Distant] property (which stacks on existing [Distant] properties). [Distant 3] weapons are not affected.

Circle 3
Away With YouSU: Your skill with 11th dimensional calculations has become much quicker, more natural... fewer mistakes. It's about time you tried it on some thing living- it's not like it will hurt you at all. As a standard action, you may teleport any creature within [Melee] range, friend or foe, anywhere within your [Close] range.

Circle 4
Personal MovementSU: Some rules were meant to be broken. It's said that only the truly great teleporters can manage the feat on their own bodies with out fear. You have determined that your name will go down in the history books as well. As a move action, you may teleport anywhere with in [Close] range, and you provoke Attacks of Opportunity on the side in which you finish your teleportation.

Circle 5
SurpriseSU: Sometimes life is not fair. It's tough for most people to make it, especially the small. So, you thought that you might even the odds a little bit by fighting dirty. Thrice per [Encounter], you may use a variant of Personal Movement that provokes attacks of opportunity on the starting end of your teleportation. At the end of your jump you may treat any enemy within [Melee] range as [Flat-footed]. Additionally, you are [Concealed] to enemies within [Melee] range until the beginning of your next turn.

Circle 6
Calculated AttackSU: You danger sense tingles; it is a low steady hum in your neck telling you that the end is near. With the use of your teleport you have no fear of danger. Twice per [Encounter], when you are targeted by any effect, you may, as an immediate action teleport into [Melee] range of the attacker and gain an Attack of Opportunity.

Circle 7
Calculus MasterySU: You have mastered the art of the teleport. Your 11th dimensional calculations have become second nature to you. At this point it seems as though nothing can touch you. You are always treated as having a 50% miss chance, however this miss chance cannot stack with any other source including concealment.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 01:39:47 PM by Kitsune_Kinomi »
"The mark of a immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one. "
~ Wilhelm Stekel

"I thought I'd pretend I was one of those blind deaf-mutes."
~ Catcher in the Rye, J. D. Salinger

"The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power."
~ Julius Cesar, William Shakespeare

My Moonshine

Kitsune_Kinomi

• Ranger
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Track: 11th Dimensional Calculus
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 06:48:09 PM »
Version Log
version 1.1
version 1.1.2
   - Removed 'Danger Above'

version 1.1.1
   - Changed c1 'danger above' removing [dazed]

version 1.1
   - Changed c1 'danger above' to deal 2d6 + dazed.
   - Changed c7 to 50% miss chance no stacking.
version 1.0
Version 1.0.1
   - Changed the name of c6 form 'just that Quick' to 'Calculated Attack' via grues suggestion.

Version 1.0
   - Posted original version of the track.
   - Posted original version of the introduction.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 09:12:27 PM by Kitsune_Kinomi »
"The mark of a immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one. "
~ Wilhelm Stekel

My Moonshine

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 09:55:26 PM »
Danger above is problematic. 5d6 is strong for 1st level(1d6+KOM is more typical), esp for autodamage. but will fairly quickly become weak and pointless. There isn't a later ability that takes over and supplants it, or keeps it worthwhile. I'd change  it to a more typical damage progression, and say that represents teleporting heavier objects that are higher up and hence do more damage. Fluff-wise, I feel like dropping objects on people should afford a save, but whether it actually needs on depends on the damage scaling you do.
The use restriction of having a heavy object nearby is also iffy. That just makes people say "I have a bowling ball in my pack".
Just Stay Down is really powerful. remaining prone for an additional round is a nasty effect by itself. "Taking no action that round" is equivalent to a high-end condition, only with no way to resist or fix it. That is problematic

Circle 2 is giving you 2 weapon properties. I'm not sure if they both activate for a melee weapon by chaining through [throwing]- clarify the intent. If not, it is giving 1 property. That is pretty weak for a 2nd circle. A natural weapon is essentially 3 free properties, and they come with something extra at 1st

Circle 3 is like Into the Breach, which can be taken at level 1. Your range is a bit better, and you can target allies, but Into The Breach also grants the ally an attack, so its stronger. I'd also add a save if you are teleporting enemies. Its hard to gague the power of relocating an enemy, but it can be extremely powerful in the right situation.

Circle 4 is kinda odd. typically, teleporting provokes from where you start. Provoking from where you go just means its not useful as an attacking technique, but is practically uncounterable as an escape. Compare Shadow Step. it requires a swift action in addition to the movement, and only offers a chance to avoid the AoO. This can also be a large boost to your effective move speed with little investment. At a rough guess, changing it to provoke from where you start would make it ok.

Circle 5 - I like flat footed after teleporting. Just take out the provoking at the start part due to my suggested changes fir 4th

Circle 6 - I typically dislike a teleport-on-attack ability like that, but teleporting INTO the range of the attacker mitigates my main concern with it. It does make you very effective against ranged attackers, but I think that is intended. That fact that you use up your AoO on the teleport means you aren't immediately supressing htem further in the middle of their attack action. I like this ability.

Circle 7 - Using my powers of seeing 1.0 content to see reference points, I can say that this is weak.
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

Grue

• Monk
  • Elite
  • Typo Hammer Eye of Seeing Dungeon Delver
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 10:08:08 PM »
Just That Quick is the name of Acrobatic Adept's 1st circle. it should be named something else to avoid confusion. Calculated Attack, perhaps?

Kitsune_Kinomi

• Ranger
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 10:17:16 PM »
Danger above is problematic. 5d6 is strong for 1st level(1d6+KOM is more typical), esp for autodamage. but will fairly quickly become weak and pointless. There isn't a later ability that takes over and supplants it, or keeps it worthwhile. I'd change  it to a more typical damage progression, and say that represents teleporting heavier objects that are higher up and hence do more damage. Fluff-wise, I feel like dropping objects on people should afford a save, but whether it actually needs on depends on the damage scaling you do.
The use restriction of having a heavy object nearby is also iffy. That just makes people say "I have a bowling ball in my pack".
I'm well aware of this problem ;/ those first two things are more things like suggestions on how to use the abbilty to move things in close range effectivly. I'm not really set on Danger Above in particular since in leans way to much on context of the battle which at least for me was a tenate of 3.5. Because that damage is good but it's only if you have some thing of sufficiate size to drop in the first place so depending on the battle you may not have any damage out put, at all. Do you have any hard suggestions?

Just Stay Down is really powerful. remaining prone for an additional round is a nasty effect by itself. "Taking no action that round" is equivalent to a high-end condition, only with no way to resist or fix it. That is problematic
Ok this on I'm alot more set on, I know its very strong however it's once per encounter, period, as in if the save is past then that's the end of that till the next encounter. So I can see that it's a very strong attack however it's only one turn in an encounter which in the grand sceam isn't too bad I don't think.
I would also note, and we have talked about this before, but this is an abbility that the sorce material for the track uses constantly so getting rid of it makes it less Shirai Kuroko like. If you have a roughly equivelent suggestion then I'll gladly here it.

Circle 2 is giving you 2 weapon properties. I'm not sure if they both activate for a melee weapon by chaining through [throwing]- clarify the intent. If not, it is giving 1 property. That is pretty weak for a 2nd circle. A natural weapon is essentially 3 free properties, and they come with something extra at 1st
I'll try to work on the wording a little bit, It was clear in my orginal version, namly I said it just ups the range catagory but my editor changed it and I rarly proof him so I'll try to fix it up to make it clearer. It's supose to grant throwing to melee, and distant to range.
I know it's UP but I'm thinking that will help for some of the latter OP circles, and help to balance out C1 which I know isn't idea but at the same time it was the only thing I could think to do.

Circle 3 is like Into the Breach, which can be taken at level 1. Your range is a bit better, and you can target allies, but Into The Breach also grants the ally an attack, so its stronger. I'd also add a save if you are teleporting enemies. Its hard to gague the power of relocating an enemy, but it can be extremely powerful in the right situation.
I completely for got about the save xD, isn't into the breach a feat one that has a feat prerequiset I think that it's a little bit hairy trying to compair then, however they are similar. I honestly thing adding a save this circle should be fine so I'm not going to mess with this one TOO much do to the fact that teleporting your foe is a little bit of a OP thing so I think a little UP + a little OP balances out.

Circle 4 is kinda odd. typically, teleporting provokes from where you start. Provoking from where you go just means its not useful as an attacking technique, but is practically uncounterable as an escape. Compare Shadow Step. it requires a swift action in addition to the movement, and only offers a chance to avoid the AoO. This can also be a large boost to your effective move speed with little investment. At a rough guess, changing it to provoke from where you start would make it ok.
I'm actully gunna keep this the way it is a think. Again the idea is alot more along the line (fluff wise) that your pop out instantly but can be caught off guard where you are. Again I'm moddles this with out using the legend core book at all, so alot of the things don't perfectly line up with legend teleport, but that is what I ultimatly wanted a teleport that is different form legends core one. (this is also why the range of the teleport never exceeds [Close] with one exception)

Circle 5 - I like flat footed after teleporting. Just take out the provoking at the start part due to my suggested changes fir 4th
I might think about this one, like I said before this was to keep it a little more ummm balanced. So let me just think about if for a bit.

Circle 6 - I typically dislike a teleport-on-attack ability like that, but teleporting INTO the range of the attacker mitigates my main concern with it. It does make you very effective against ranged attackers, but I think that is intended. That fact that you use up your AoO on the teleport means you aren't immediately supressing htem further in the middle of their attack action. I like this ability.
yay I made some thing you liked for once xD, and what's more it's some thing you normaly dislike xD (this was not meant to be inflamitory please don't take it that way tone is very hard on the internet saddly ><)

Circle 7 - Using my powers of seeing 1.0 content to see reference points, I can say that this is weak.
useing my power of rummors I send you a PM
~ Wilhelm Stekel

My Moonshine

Kitsune_Kinomi

• Ranger
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 10:21:09 PM »
Just That Quick is the name of Acrobatic Adept's 1st circle. it should be named something else to avoid confusion. Calculated Attack, perhaps?
That must have been were I pulled it from xD I think I mentioned this in the orignal post but circles 2-6 got there names in five minutes so they have very... werid names that need to be changed any ways.
~ Wilhelm Stekel

My Moonshine

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 10:43:17 PM »
I'm well aware of this problem ;/ those first two things are more things like suggestions on how to use the abbilty to move things in close range effectivly. I'm not really set on Danger Above in particular since in leans way to much on context of the battle which at least for me was a tenate of 3.5. Because that damage is good but it's only if you have some thing of sufficiate size to drop in the first place so depending on the battle you may not have any damage out put, at all. Do you have any hard suggestions?
I don't think a standard action damage ability fits with the track. Its a very good support for melee, so its kinda out of place, especially without other demands on your standard actions.
If we keep the concept of "I teleport things over your head",  I'd make it a minor action for some light damage and a 1 round debuff. You aren't dropping a piano on their head, you are teleproting a brick that that disorients them.
Ok this on I'm alot more set on, I know its very strong however it's once per encounter, period, as in if the save is past then that's the end of that till the next encounter. So I can see that it's a very strong attack however it's only one turn in an encounter which in the grand sceam isn't too bad I don't think.
I would also note, and we have talked about this before, but this is an abbility that the sorce material for the track uses constantly so getting rid of it makes it less Shirai Kuroko like. If you have a roughly equivelent suggestion then I'll gladly here it.
Most abilities that take out an enemy are already 1/encounter, and much higher level. In the grand scheme of things, an encounter is 3-5 round typically, so that can be a huge portion of it.
Just make it so they stay prone for another round and are [Entangled].

I'll try to work on the wording a little bit, It was clear in my orginal version, namly I said it just ups the range catagory but my editor changed it and I rarly proof him so I'll try to fix it up to make it clearer. It's supose to grant throwing to melee, and distant to range.
I know it's UP but I'm thinking that will help for some of the latter OP circles, and help to balance out C1 which I know isn't idea but at the same time it was the only thing I could think to do.
I'd give it a boost and smooth out the power curve

I completely for got about the save xD, isn't into the breach a feat one that has a feat prerequiset I think that it's a little bit hairy trying to compair then, however they are similar. I honestly thing adding a save this circle should be fine so I'm not going to mess with this one TOO much do to the fact that teleporting your foe is a little bit of a OP thing so I think a little UP + a little OP balances out.
a little UP + a little OP means you only have a little OP. Why take the UP option if you have a OP one at your  fingertips?
I'm actully gunna keep this the way it is a think. Again the idea is alot more along the line (fluff wise) that your pop out instantly but can be caught off guard where you are. Again I'm moddles this with out using the legend core book at all, so alot of the things don't perfectly line up with legend teleport, but that is what I ultimatly wanted a teleport that is different form legends core one. (this is also why the range of the teleport never exceeds [Close] with one exception)
You are the one who is expecting you to appear there, not them. Why are you the one being surprised?

Kitsune_Kinomi

• Ranger
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2012, 10:55:11 PM »
I don't think a standard action damage ability fits with the track. Its a very good support for melee, so its kinda out of place, especially without other demands on your standard actions.
If we keep the concept of "I teleport things over your head",  I'd make it a minor action for some light damage and a 1 round debuff. You aren't dropping a piano on their head, you are teleproting a brick that that disorients them.
I can see that, like I said I'm not to big on the danger above thing in the first place I am just wondering if C1 will be nearly usless with damage out put especially since stay down is under fire, maybe taking this out would help to round it out.

Most abilities that take out an enemy are already 1/encounter, and much higher level. In the grand scheme of things, an encounter is 3-5 round typically, so that can be a huge portion of it.
Just make it so they stay prone for another round and are [Entangled].
So wait, keep them pron + [Entangled] I was just thinking prone for an additonal round?

I'd give it a boost and smooth out the power curve
I'll keep that in mind

a little UP + a little OP means you only have a little OP. Why take the UP option if you have a OP one at your  fingertips?
Well I can see what you mean, however some like you said the OP abbility is a little contextual, and the UP abbility is useful for some things. I can understand what your saying cause you would use the OP abbility more often, howeve I don't think that means you wouldn't use the UP abbility in the right situation. So I would rather keep it.

You are the one who is expecting you to appear there, not them. Why are you the one being surprised?
Hmmmmmm.... Well I would say it's becuase fluff wise your not use to doing it yet so they figure out your there before your oriented. However that makes little sense given latter abbilities, but that's what I'm gunna stick with I guess. The fact that your disorented when showing up.
~ Wilhelm Stekel

My Moonshine

Sanctaphrax

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2012, 11:44:02 PM »
The title here amuses me. I just did a multivariable calculus midterm, and I'm pretty sure I could do 11 dimensional calculus if I felt inclined.

That aside, I mostly agree with Mystify's comments.

Narsis

• Elite
  • Pirate Robot Ninja Dragon
  • Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2012, 12:38:32 AM »
The title here amuses me. I just did a multivariable calculus midterm, and I'm pretty sure I could do 11 dimensional calculus if I felt inclined.

That aside, I mostly agree with Mystify's comments.

11th dimensional calculus is easy if the equations are simple.  but i doubt the user of this track would be doing simple calculations. :P
Awesome Legend pally avatar by Prime32

Kitsune_Kinomi

• Ranger
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2012, 09:56:58 AM »
I don't think they would have the conviniance of doing in a board or paper either, generally you have to think pretty fast if you wanna dodge a fire ball (ref. c6).

In reguards to Sanctaphrax, I don't entierly know if your saying you agree with all of Mystify's comments or what, but I'm gunna do an updata to this track after midterms are over later this week and make most of the tweeks that were suggested (namly the ones that I don't change the way I wanted the track to work.)
~ Wilhelm Stekel

My Moonshine

Kitsune_Kinomi

• Ranger
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, 10:24:53 AM »
Okey dokey, I upped the c7 to 50% miss chance flat now, and made danger above 2d6 + dazed. Now any more ideas?
~ Wilhelm Stekel

My Moonshine

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2012, 11:38:27 AM »
Dazed is absurdly strong for a 1st circle ability

Kitsune_Kinomi

• Ranger
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2012, 12:19:16 PM »

Quote from: legend
Dazed
The creature is unable to act normally.

I would like to add that the possiblity exists for you to drop a piano on some ones head, however as the orginal texted stated the likely hood of having a piano is very nill. I'm not going to make a catagory for every single thing so again I ask, if you have any specific things that you think would be better I would love to hear the suggestion, because the only other status condition that makes sense to me is confused which would be even weirder (at least to me). Honestly I didn't want this to inflict a status condidtion in the first place. Additionally Danger Above and Just Stay Down are suggestions that I'm making for ways to use the first circle rather then just giving the player an abbility that I'm sure would be called useless (The abbility to teleport objects in melee range to close range) So really it's not even limited to those two things it could be a number of different things, however I'm just giving two potential uses for it.
I'm also goign to note that unlike a ranged weapon you not supose to have a bunch of these things, (unless you playing a character who OCD collects big rocks).
~ Wilhelm Stekel

My Moonshine

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
  • Ballot Box Eye of Seeing Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2012, 07:35:30 PM »
Looks pretty good. I like the possibilities present within C1, and I like how C6 works.
"Trifles go to make perfection, and perfection is no trifle."
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

My friend just shared this: "Remember that time Gandalf convinced the whole party to flee so that he could take out the Balrog and not have to share any of the XP? Shows up the next session with fancy new robes and everything. What a jerk."