Author Topic: Glacial Soul v2.0 (1.0 compliant, massive re-haul)  (Read 4234 times)

Don Jentleman

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Glacial Soul v2.0 (1.0 compliant, massive re-haul)
« on: October 29, 2012, 06:08:17 PM »
Original post:
Spoiler
Alright, so this is my attempt at making an Item Scion track.  It involves a natural weapon that deals cold damage and focuses on stacking conditions so that enemies can't hide or run from your wintery wrath.

Glacial Soul (Unique)
There are those who love the cold, and there are those who wish to master it.  Those who desire the power of ice learn to chill their hearts and dull their feelings, and draw forth a weapon from this coldness of heart.  The ice that forms this weapon cannot be melted by mere flames, for it represents the utter detachment from life the wielder is willing to become one with the cold.

This Weapon Scion track features the [Frostbite] condition.  Enemies with the [Frostbite] condition take 1d4 [Cold] damage every [Round] for each stack of [Frostbite] at the end of their turns. An opponent may have a maximum of two [Frostbite] stacks for every circle you have of this track, up to a maximum of 14 [Frostbite] stacks at seventh circle. This condition lasts for 2 [Rounds], but the duration resets each time an effect would inflict it. Characters may spend a move action to stop the [Frostbite] condition but this provokes attacks of opportunity. An enemy suffering from [Frostbite] is immune to the [On Fire] condition, and vice-versa.

Glacial is an [Elemental (Cold)], [Magnum], and [Throwing] natural melee weapon.

First Circle
Winter is ComingEX: Glacial Soul is treated as a Lesser Magical Item and gains the Flesheater enchantment. In addition, the [Frostbite] condition replaces the [On Fire] condition for the Flesheater enchantment.
Weapon ScionEX: Disregard the item bonus Glacial Soul would receive based upon its item tier. It instead gains a +1 item bonus for every circle you have of this track. Additionally, Glacial Soul does not take up a magical item slot.
Second Circle
Lingering ColdSU: Your weapon begins to suck heat away from your surroundings and yourself.  Frost beings to linger on whatever you touch and wherever you step, and you begin to feel the cold as an extension of your presence. You feel the presence of any creature within your plane of existence in [Close] range, but this will not tell you their location. Once per [Round], as a swift action, you may cause the cold to creep up all opponents within [Close] range, causing them to be [Revealed] for one [Round] and gain a stack of [Frostbite].
Third Circle
Drive DownSLA: Once per [Encounter], as a standard action, you may unleash a blizzard upon your opponents. This manifests as a cone that is 15ft long + 5ft per level, and deals 1d6 [Cold] damage per level (Reflex save for half). Those who fail the save gain two stacks of [Frostbite].
Additionally, Glacial is treated as a Greater item.
Fourth Circle
FrostfireSU: Once per [Round], as a swift action, whenever you strike an enemy with Glacial Soul (or an ability that applies [Frostbite]) with at least 6 stacks of [Frostbite], they immediately take d4 [Cold] damage equal to half of their [Frostbite] stacks (Rounded down, fortitude save with DC 10 + 1/2 level + KOM to halve damage).  Those who fail the save can also be inflicted with the [Slowed] condition for 1 [Round].  While multiple enemies can be affected by Frostfire, only one enemy that fails the save can be [Slowed].
Fifth Circle
Cold-BloodedEX: The blood of your enemies is your weapon now.  You gain the Hearteater enchantment.
Additionally, Glacial Soul is treated as a Relic.
Sixth Circle
Absolutely Zero HopeSU: Twice per [Encounter], as a standard action, an enemy within [Close] range has their current [Frostbite] stacks doubled.
Seventh Circle
FlashfrostSU: If an enemy with at least 10 [Frostbite] stacks is affected by Frostfire, you can make them take d4 [Cold] damage equal to their stack count, instead of half of their stack count.  Should they fail the fortitude save, they are [Petrified] instead of [Slowed] for 1 [round].  Only one enemy can be the target of Flashfrost in a [Round]. You cannot inflict [Slowed] with Frostfire in the same turn that you inflict [Petrified] with Flashfrost, and regardless of whether or not they fail the fortitude save, the enemy affected by Flashfrost cannot be affected by Flashfrost for the rest of the [Encounter].
Additionally, Glacial Soul is treated as an Artifact.

Number Crunching
Natural weapon- 1
C1 Winter is Coming- 1
C2 Lingering Cold- 2
C3 Drive Down- 2
C4 Frost Fire- 2
C5 Cold-Blooded- 3
C6 Absolutely Zero Hope- 2
C7 Flashfrost- 3

Total- 16 points

Change Log
v1.1
Added a slow clause to Frostfire
v1.2
Made Glacial Soul a unique track
Changed the wording for the [Frostbite] condition
v1.3
Clarified the damage done by Frostfire (hopefully)
Flashfrost now replaces I am the Frost as the C7 ability
v1.4
Clarified some text in Flashfrost
Thoughts: Like I said, this is my first time making an item scion track, let alone any sort of homebrew content, so if I messed up on the point distribution, or if you see any balance issues, let me know. In addition, I'm not sure if I'm completely satisfied with the higher circles. I would have loved to have included a petrification effect, possibly as new addition to Frostfire: having at least 10 [Frostbite] stacks and failing the Frostfire save will cause [Petrification] instead of [Slowed] for one [Round]. What do you guys think?

Edit: Thanks to Yoder's help, this track is nearing finalization. I would like a bit more input from other forum goers before I declare this track ready for use, but I have no problems seeing this track being used in a homebrew campaign as of now.  Changes may or may not be made when Legend 1.0 comes out if I feel this track doesn't fit with the new set of rules.

Version 2.0

Glacial Soul (Unique)
There are those who love the cold, and there are those who wish to master it.  Those who desire the power of ice learn to chill their hearts and dull their feelings, and draw forth a weapon from this coldness of heart.  The ice that forms this weapon cannot be melted by mere flames, for it represents the utter detachment from life the wielder is willing to become one with the cold.

This track features a stackable condition called [Frostbite].  Enemies with the [Frostbite] condition take 1d4 damage every [Round] for each stack of [Frostbite] they possess at the end of their turns. The damage is not subject to [Damage reduction] or [Resistance]. An opponent may have a maximum of two [Frostbite] stacks for every circle you possess of this track, up to a maximum of 14 [Frostbite] stacks at seventh circle. This condition lasts for 2 [Rounds], but the duration resets each time an effect would inflict it. Characters may spend a move action to remove all [Frostbite] stacks from themselves or a creature within [Melee] range, but doing so provokes attacks of opportunity. If this homebrew track is being considered for a campaign, take caution when allowing multiple people in a group to take this track.

First Circle
Winter is Coming EX: Once per [Round], an opponent that you hit with your Glacial Soul natural weapon gains a stack of [Frostbite].  In addition, you gain the following natural weapon:
Glacial Soul- Melee, Range [Close], [Elemental (Cold)], [Magnum], [Throwing].

Second Circle
Lingering Cold SU: Once per [Round], as a swift action, you may cause the cold to creep up all opponents within [Close] range, causing them to be [Revealed] for one [Round] and gain a stack of [Frostbite].

Third Circle
Frostfire SU: Once per [Round], whenever you inflict a [Frostbite] stack on an opponent, and they have 2 or more [Frostbite] stacks after the [Frostbite] stack is applied, you may spend a swift action and cause the opponent to immediately take d6 [Cold] damage equal to half of their [Frostbite] stack count (rounded down), and become [Slowed] for 1 [Round]. A successful fortitude save of DC 10 + 1/2 level + KOM halves the damage, and negates the [Slowed] condition. Even if multiple enemies can be affected by Frostfire in a single action, only one enemy may be affected by Frostfire per [Round].

Fourth Circle
Hailstorm EX: Once per [Round], you may add the [Volley] descriptor to one attack with this weapon; this attack with the [Volley] descriptor is applied against all opponents within a wedge originating from you with a length of 15 ft plus 5 ft per character level you possess. All enemies hit with this attack gain a stack of [Frostbite]. You cannot apply an additional stack of [Frostbite] on an enemy with your Glacial Soul natural weapon on this attack.

Fifth Circle
Cold Blood EX: Opponents with [Frostbite] stacks that you inflict are [Battered] until the [Frostbite] stacks are either removed or expire. In addition, you may apply [Frostbite] stacks twice per [Round] on an opponent you hit with your Glacial Soul natural weapon, applying each [Frostbite] stack on a separate attack.

Sixth Circle
Absolutely Zero Hope SU: Twice per [Encounter], as a move action, you may inflict an additional [Frostbite] stack on an opponent affected by Lingering Cold or hit with your Hailstorm [Volley] attack, as well as apply [Frostbite] stacks 4 times per [Round] on an opponent you hit with your Glacial Soul natural weapon, applying each [Frostbite] stack on a separate attack. These effects last until the beginning of your next turn.

Seventh Circle
Flashfrost SU: You may now activate Frostfire as a free action, though you still may only do so once per [Round]. Once per [Round], whenever you inflict a [Frostbite] stack on an opponent, and they have 8 or more [Frostbite] stacks after the [Frostbite] stack is applied, you may spend a free action and cause the opponent to immediately take d6 [Cold] damage equal to their [Frostbite] stack count, and cause them to become [Petrified] for 1 [Round].  A successful fortitude save of DC 10 + 1/2 level + KOM halves the damage, and negates the [Petrified] condition. You may not activate Frostfire on an enemy that is currently [Petrified] by Flashfrost, and an enemy can be affected by Flashfrost only once per [Encounter]. Even if multiple enemies can be affected by Flashfrost in a single action, only one enemy may be affected by Flashfrost per [Round].
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 07:08:19 PM by Don Jentleman »

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
  • Ballot Box Eye of Seeing Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Weapon Scion: Glacial Soul
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 08:56:25 PM »
I'm a little confused by your wording of the [Frostbite] condition. If Frostbite only lasts for 1 round, it will never stack properly. Based on how you refer to it, I think you want it to last 2 rounds (so it'll still be affecting the enemy when your next turn comes around). Also, you say the duration of all [Frostbite] stacks is refreshed every time a new stack is added, but does [Frostbite] grow on its own like [On Fire]?

Otherwise, the progression and point distribution seem pretty solid overall.

Petrification would be a pretty neat effect, and you could probably fit it in by replacing C5 or C7. Depending how you implement the Petrification (usage limits, action cost, saves against, etc...) C6's stack doubling may be troublesome.
"Trifles go to make perfection, and perfection is no trifle."
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

My friend just shared this: "Remember that time Gandalf convinced the whole party to flee so that he could take out the Balrog and not have to share any of the XP? Shows up the next session with fancy new robes and everything. What a jerk."

Don Jentleman

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 09:23:17 PM »
Admittedly, the only real similarity between [On Fire] and [Frostbite] this rate is that it takes a move action to remove, as well as the damage die used.  [Frostbite] should only grow when a [Frostbite] stack is applied, either through an attack or through the use of an ability. Since the track in non-unique, it is possible for someone else to place a stack on an enemy and refresh duration like that. I might consider making the track unique because of this: having an entire team with glacial soul would make it too easy to stack the stacks and the [Slowed] condition.

As for the [Petrification] effect, it would have to be C7. I want to keep C5 so that the damage from [Frostbite] can't simply be healed/mitigated by [Fast Healing] or an unlimited heal.  It would have the same clause as the slowing clause, and you would be unable to cause [Slowed] and [Petrification] in the same turn, you would have to choose one enemy and one condition for this effect. Also, it would be a 1 [Round] effect, just like the [Slowed] condition.  Frostfire is always activated with a swift action, so that will not change, but again, you need 10 [Frostbite] stacks instead of 6 to apply for the [Petrification] effect.

I'm beginning to debate whether or not Frostfire should do full stack damage when attempting to petrify an opponent, in exchange for that enemy being excluded from that effect for the rest of the encounter, whether or not they make the save.  This sounds rather powerful, but it does seem appropriate for a C7 ability.

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 09:31:55 PM »
Okay, now I understand how you want [Frostbite] to work.

That sounds like a fair idea.

Doing 0-14 damage at C7 to all within [close] wouldn't be too powerful. In fact, you could probably make C5 do full stack damage and C7 do double stack damage (assuming that the stack damage you're referring to is 1 damage for every stack).
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

My friend just shared this: "Remember that time Gandalf convinced the whole party to flee so that he could take out the Balrog and not have to share any of the XP? Shows up the next session with fancy new robes and everything. What a jerk."

Don Jentleman

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 12:23:10 PM »
The stack damage I'm talking about is like this: say an enemy has 4 [Frostbite] stacks, and through the use of Drive down, they now have 6 [Frostbite] stacks, allowing for the use of Frostfire.  They immediately take 3d4 damage (3 stacks worth of damage), with a fort save to halve damage and stop the [Slowed] condition.

If said enemy had 8 stacks instead of 4, they would be brought up to 10 stacks, and take 5d4 damage under Frostfire's original effect. Now, if C7 were to have the new [Pertification] effect (I'm going to call it Flashfrost for now), I would propose that they would instead take the full 10d4 damage, and if they failed that save, they would be [Petrified] for 1 [Round].  That same enemy would no longer be a target for Flashfrost for the rest of the [Encounter], so if they ever got back up to 10 stacks again in the same [Encounter], they would only be eligible for the 5d4 damage and [Slowed] effect.

Remember that even though multiple enemies could be effected by Frostfire, only one enemy could be [Slowed] from failing the fort save. Likewise, only one enemy can be the target of Flashfrost, and you cannot inflict [Slowed] on another enemy while using Flashfrost.  I hope that cleared up any other sources of confusion and shows my way of thinking.

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 12:49:03 PM »
I see. In that case, your idea seems pretty well-balanced. You may want to re-word in your track to make the way that works more clear.
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

Don Jentleman

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 01:10:52 PM »
Alright, Flashfrost is now the ability for C7.  I also attempted to clarify some things about Flashfrost.  Let me know if I got my point across.

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 03:33:32 PM »
Yeah, C4 and C7 are a lot more clear that way.
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

Kitsune_Kinomi

• Ranger
  • Elite
  • I love foxes, can you tell?
  • Eye of Seeing Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Weapon Scion: Glacial Soul v1.4
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012, 06:13:35 PM »
This track seems really interesting I was really hopping to see some one mess with stacks and such on a home brew, it's a very interesting use of it at least.

I think all the conditions are farly neat and nothing seems to be to far out of left feild, their is just one thing I wanted to bring to your attention, [On Fire] doesn't nessesitate... being on fire. Namly this condidtion gets used from time to times that have little to do with fire and some times not even heat damage so the immunity to [On Fire] isn't bad, just weird you mgith want to look into it a little bit more.
"The mark of a immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one. "
~ Wilhelm Stekel

"I thought I'd pretend I was one of those blind deaf-mutes."
~ Catcher in the Rye, J. D. Salinger

"The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power."
~ Julius Cesar, William Shakespeare

My Moonshine

Don Jentleman

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Weapon Scion: Glacial Soul v1.4
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2012, 08:35:25 PM »
That is rather interesting. I did not know that.  However, I will stick by the restriction that [On Fire] and [Frostbite] cannot both be on a target at once, because it creates an unusual conflict.  Removing one of those conditions with a move action means that the other one will still be there, unless you have an ability that grants another move action.  While it is true that this can be easily solved with Exit, Stage Left, DotC, or Esoterica Radica, if a team can continuously apply [On Fire] and [Frostbite], the target will eventually run out of extra move actions.  This is why the [Petrification] effect is on C7 rather than earlier: I don't want there to be a situation early on where damage is ensured and move actions are taken away at early levels.

With that being said, I'm glad that you found the track interesting, that was the goal after all! ;D

Don Jentleman

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Glacial Soul v2.0 (1.0 compliant, massive re-haul)
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2013, 08:28:04 PM »
This track has been re-hauled and updated to be 1.0 compliant. The biggest change to note are that this track is no longer an Item Scion track, and thus the Glacial Soul Weapon no longer gets a +1 to attack per circle of this track. In exchange, this track has become a bit more friendly with the stacks required for Frostfire and Flashfrost, and has more martial synergy via it's new ability, Hailstorm, which appears at C4.  I would also like to bump up the damage for Frostfire up to a d6, although this could make it very nasty when Flashfrost rolls around. As always, criticism is appreciated.

Zaq

• Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2013, 02:47:07 PM »
Off the cuff, the first thing that jumps out at me is that you'll need to specify what happens if two different creatures inflict [Frostbitten] on the same target, for the purposes of how they stack. (Also, Legend style precedent would call it [Frostbitten], not [Frostbite]; it's [Slowed] instead of [Slow], [Energy drained] instead of [Energy drain], [Entangled] instead of [Entangle], etc.)

C1: Hmm. I kind of feel like it should apply once per [Round] per opponent, instead of just once per [Round], but it's still not terrible. (Going back after thinking about C5, I can see what you're doing, but oh well.)

C2: It conflicts with C3, but if that's intended to prevent you from being able to just get two stacks of [Frostbitten] AND the C3 ability in the same [Round] (unless/until you get extra swifts), then I can understand that.

C3: Do they have to have two stacks of [Frostbitten] before you hit, or can it work as you inflict the second stack? Also, if you're able to inflict [Frostbitten] on more than one enemy at once, does this ability affect all of them, or just one? For example, let's say you're near a handful of enemies who already have two stacks, and you've got a True Symbol. Can you use C2 and then C3 to hit everyone?

C4: The first thing I notice here is that you can get some weirdness with being a melee attack vs. a ranged attack, but that's pretty much par for the course with most sources of [Volley]. Also, "this weapon" should be "with your Glacial Soul natural weapon." When you say "additional stacks," what do you mean? It only works on enemies who aren't already [Frostbitten]? If it's meant to say that you can't inflict two[Frostbitten] stacks (one from C1, one from C4) with a single attack on a single enemy, I think you'll need to say that more specifically.

C5: It should specify that this ability applies only to [Frostbitten] that you apply. Even if you're not expecting two people in the same party to have Glacial Soul, and you're not expecting any other tracks to provide [Frostbitten], it could still happen with My Name Is War. Even disregarding that, it's just good form.

C6: Until your next turn? Sloppy wording. Does the doubling last until then, or do the stacks last until then? I assume that it's meant to apply to the doubling. Also, when in your next turn? I think it would be much cleaner if you said something in the vein of "Twice per [Encounter], as a move action, until the <start/end; pick one> of your next turn, whenever you use an ability from this track that applies one or more stacks of [Frostbitten] to one or more opponents, add one additional stack for each stack you would normally inflict." That wording might not be perfect, but I think it's on the right track.

C7: I mostly see what you're trying to say, but what you actually said is confusing (and possibly not what you meant). First, as written, if one opponent is [Petrified], then everyone else is either [Petrified] or bust; the prohibition against both [Slowed] and [Petrified] should specify that it applies separately to each opponent. Honestly, I think it would be better to make this a separate ability that is very similar to Flashfrost, but different. Here's a proposed draft of the revision, though as usual, it might need further tweaking.

"C7: You may now activate Flashfrost as a free action instead of a swift action, though you still may only do so once per [Round]. In addition, once per [Round] as a swift action, you may cause each opponent within your [Close] range who has at least eight stacks of [Frostbitten] to take 1d4 energy damage with the [Cold] descriptor equal to half the number of stacks of [Frostbitten] they have and to become [Petrified]. If an opponent has already taken damage from Flashfrost this [Round], then for that opponent, [Lesser resistance], [Resistance], or [Greater resistance] do not apply to the damage dealt with this ability. A successful Fortitude save negates the [Petrified] condition. If an opponent is [Petrified] by this ability, they lose any [Slowed] condition inflicted by Flashfrost, and they gain [Immunity] to [Slowed] until the [Petrified] condition ends. Each enemy may be affected by this ability only once per [Encounter]."

This isn't wholly identical to what you wrote, but I feel like it's pretty close. It's a swift instead of being part of Flashfrost's free, it's clearer about how it affects each individual enemy, it doesn't prevent further uses of Flashfrost, and while it looks like it does less damage, it actually deals just as much as your version, because you're assumed to be using Flashfrost first (but you don't strictly have to). Feel free to take the suggestion, amend it, or ignore it, of course. (That's the basic assumption for any advice, if you think about it, since it's not like any of us really feel the right or the need to demand anything else, but you get what I'm saying.)
I do verb now and again, but gerunding is my real passion.

Metool

• Rogue
  • Elite
  • You ever lose hope?
  • Eye of Seeing Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2013, 03:58:17 PM »
C3: [...] If you're able to inflict [Frostbitten] on more than one enemy at once, does this ability affect all of them, or just one? For example, let's say you're near a handful of enemies who already have two stacks, and you've got a True Symbol. Can you use C2 and then C3 to hit everyone?

Language suggests only one opponent ("an enemy" rather than "any enemies" or such), probably chosen as you activate Frostfire.
"Honestly, I don't know if this non-core option is 1.0-ready"

No, it isn't. It may be updated at some point but it isn't 1.0-ready, which is why it isn't in 1.0. Anything that isn't in the 1.0 core rulebook should be treated as not being 1.0 compliant and used with caution if at all.

Don Jentleman

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2013, 04:36:30 PM »
Off the cuff, the first thing that jumps out at me is that you'll need to specify what happens if two different creatures inflict [Frostbitten] on the same target, for the purposes of how they stack. (Also, Legend style precedent would call it [Frostbitten], not [Frostbite]; it's [Slowed] instead of [Slow], [Energy drained] instead of [Energy drain], [Entangled] instead of [Entangle], etc.)

C1: Hmm. I kind of feel like it should apply once per [Round] per opponent, instead of just once per [Round], but it's still not terrible. (Going back after thinking about C5, I can see what you're doing, but oh well.)

C2: It conflicts with C3, but if that's intended to prevent you from being able to just get two stacks of [Frostbitten] AND the C3 ability in the same [Round] (unless/until you get extra swifts), then I can understand that.

C3: Do they have to have two stacks of [Frostbitten] before you hit, or can it work as you inflict the second stack? Also, if you're able to inflict [Frostbitten] on more than one enemy at once, does this ability affect all of them, or just one? For example, let's say you're near a handful of enemies who already have two stacks, and you've got a True Symbol. Can you use C2 and then C3 to hit everyone?

C4: The first thing I notice here is that you can get some weirdness with being a melee attack vs. a ranged attack, but that's pretty much par for the course with most sources of [Volley]. Also, "this weapon" should be "with your Glacial Soul natural weapon." When you say "additional stacks," what do you mean? It only works on enemies who aren't already [Frostbitten]? If it's meant to say that you can't inflict two[Frostbitten] stacks (one from C1, one from C4) with a single attack on a single enemy, I think you'll need to say that more specifically.

C5: It should specify that this ability applies only to [Frostbitten] that you apply. Even if you're not expecting two people in the same party to have Glacial Soul, and you're not expecting any other tracks to provide [Frostbitten], it could still happen with My Name Is War. Even disregarding that, it's just good form.

C6: Until your next turn? Sloppy wording. Does the doubling last until then, or do the stacks last until then? I assume that it's meant to apply to the doubling. Also, when in your next turn? I think it would be much cleaner if you said something in the vein of "Twice per [Encounter], as a move action, until the <start/end; pick one> of your next turn, whenever you use an ability from this track that applies one or more stacks of [Frostbitten] to one or more opponents, add one additional stack for each stack you would normally inflict." That wording might not be perfect, but I think it's on the right track.

C7: I mostly see what you're trying to say, but what you actually said is confusing (and possibly not what you meant). First, as written, if one opponent is [Petrified], then everyone else is either [Petrified] or bust; the prohibition against both [Slowed] and [Petrified] should specify that it applies separately to each opponent. Honestly, I think it would be better to make this a separate ability that is very similar to Flashfrost, but different. Here's a proposed draft of the revision, though as usual, it might need further tweaking.

"C7: You may now activate Flashfrost as a free action instead of a swift action, though you still may only do so once per [Round]. In addition, once per [Round] as a swift action, you may cause each opponent within your [Close] range who has at least eight stacks of [Frostbitten] to take 1d4 energy damage with the [Cold] descriptor equal to half the number of stacks of [Frostbitten] they have and to become [Petrified]. If an opponent has already taken damage from Flashfrost this [Round], then for that opponent, [Lesser resistance], [Resistance], or [Greater resistance] do not apply to the damage dealt with this ability. A successful Fortitude save negates the [Petrified] condition. If an opponent is [Petrified] by this ability, they lose any [Slowed] condition inflicted by Flashfrost, and they gain [Immunity] to [Slowed] until the [Petrified] condition ends. Each enemy may be affected by this ability only once per [Encounter]."

This isn't wholly identical to what you wrote, but I feel like it's pretty close. It's a swift instead of being part of Flashfrost's free, it's clearer about how it affects each individual enemy, it doesn't prevent further uses of Flashfrost, and while it looks like it does less damage, it actually deals just as much as your version, because you're assumed to be using Flashfrost first (but you don't strictly have to). Feel free to take the suggestion, amend it, or ignore it, of course. (That's the basic assumption for any advice, if you think about it, since it's not like any of us really feel the right or the need to demand anything else, but you get what I'm saying.)

C1 is meant to keep in line with something like Mummy, not to mention that C5 makes it easier to apply [Frostbite] stacks to more people at once. Regarding stacks from different sources: I will say that I would advise people accepting this homebrew in a campaign to allow only up to 2 characters to have this track in a campaign, and they should be prepared for the damage spike in such a case. The language is a bit of a problem: [Frostbite] is always referred to as a stack, not as a whole condition like [Slowed] and [Entangled]. "[Frostbitten] stacks" sound... weird, imo. If there isn't a grammatical problem with such wording, I will change it.

C2 is designed as you already stated: the track is meant to become more and more efficient as it progresses.

C3 can work as you apply the 2nd stack, and the once per [Round] restriction is meant to clarify that it can only apply to one person, even if multiple opponents qualify. You can select whoever you want to be the target of Frostfire if multiple people qualify, however. Pretty much what Metool said.

"Additional stacks" in C4 means that you can't hit an opponent with the [Volley] attack, apply the [Frostbite] stack from the [Volley] attack, and then tack on another [Frostbite] stack if you haven't done so with your Glacial Soul natural weapon. I'll attempt to clarify that in the next revision

You have a point about C5, even though copying a circle with  My Name is War only grants you the benefits of that circle, even if it's copied from a C5 or higher Glacial Soul character. I will add that in.

The doubling for C6 is referring to the doubling of applying stacks, not their duration. I thought that was clear, but I will attempt to clarify that.

C7 is meant to act as an "improved" Frostfire, so it cannot target multiple targets. You also mix up Frostfire with Flashfrost, so it makes what you wrote a bit confusing at first. Your suggestion for damage is fairly interesting, I will consider it when writing up a revision.

Don Jentleman

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2013, 07:01:03 PM »
Track update:

Language for almost every single circle and [Frostbite] has been reworked to be more clear (hopefully).
[Frostbite] damage no longer has an element, and cannot be subjected to [Damage reduction] or [Resistance].
Frostfire and Flashfrost damage is now d6 damage based on stacks, up from d4.

Edit: added another clause to Frostfire and Flashfrost regarding multiple enemies.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 07:09:25 PM by Don Jentleman »