Author Topic: Track: Ronin  (Read 2973 times)

Kitsune_Kinomi

• Ranger
  • Elite
  • I love foxes, can you tell?
  • Eye of Seeing Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Track: Ronin
« on: November 05, 2012, 12:39:20 PM »
   Ohaio! I've finally gotten this track done e.e. The wonders of Midterms, Minecraft, and To Aru Kagaku no Railgun were trying their best to make sure I never worked on Legend again (which is particularly bad since I'm DMing a game too xD). However after loosing a hefty sum of materials in Minecraft I finally found to will to work on this again.
   Basically this track is entierly based off of three characters in Rurouni Kenshin (namely Kenshin, Aoshi, and Saito). The abbiltys of the track are ment to be a little suplimentary to other things so they can seem a little bit weird at times I admit, but the whole point is that you have a variaty of options available. The only exepetion is C7 when you get an abbility that you can only use when you miss and is ment to really throw that round on its head ^^.
   Any ways I'm aware of a few synergy things that would make this track to unbalanced, however I don't know every track by heart so if you cna think of any synergy that breaks things please let me know! This is also the first time I've messed with putting track rules in that first little heading bit (the puella class doesn't count e.e) so I'm not sure if I did it right. Hope you all enjoy. I'm not quiet sure with my next track, it's either going to be some thing soundly more Eldrich, or some thing more in line with the resent Combat alchemist e.e both requier a lot of work so I'm waiting for an idea to hit me.

With the exception of the seventh circle only one of these attacks may be used in a round no matter how many swift actions one has. However one can spend a swift action to apply the condition, however not the [Bonus Attack], to a single attack in an attack action or an attack of opportunity .

Ronin
A Ronin is a sword with out a lord to serve. They have all been dishonored in some way in their life, yet they continue to live on seeking some goal that is out of their reach at this point, and possibly for all eternity. A ronin's swordsmanship is unparalleled with any other because of their lives spent in the craft.
Unless other wise stated these abilities are all swift actions, each character with this track may use no more then one ability of this track a round, no matter how many swift actions they may possess.

Circle 1
BatojutsuEX: You have your skills in the art of the sword are only at their beginning, however you have already mastered a deadly art, a silent slash that can become a deadly blow to an opponent. Once per [Encounter], as an swift action, you make take a ten foot step and make an [Bonus Attack]. This ten foot step does not incur any attack of opportunity.

Circle 2
Kaiten KenbuEX: The flow of your blade is a tricky and quick like water in a babbling brook. The strikes you make with it can seem to come from no where and every where at the same time. Once per [Encounter], as a swift action, you can make and [Bonus Attack] that strikes your opponent in such a way that leaves them [Flat-Footed] for two [Rounds].

Circle 3
KotosuEX: Yet another technique has been added to your deadly arsenal. A technique strong enough to burst threw even bolstered iron doors. Once per encounter, as a swift action, you can make a [Bonus Attack] that strike to the heart of your opponent inflicting the [Bleeding] condition.

Circle 4
Ryu-tsuisenEX: Strong and wise you have become with this cold steel beside you. Once per [Encounter], as a swift action, you can make a [Bonus Attack] that is always a successful critical hit.

Circle 5
GatotsuSU: A strong push is all it takes to send your opponents to their death beds. Once per [Encounter], as a swift action, you can make a [Bonus Attack] that when in hits an opponent who is already suffering from [Bleeding] deals additional [HP Reduction] equal to your level for the rest of the encounter.

Circle 6
Jissen KenbuSU: Your movements are swift and unpredictable, like a leaf on the wind. Once per [Encounter], as a swift action, you can make a [Bonus Attack] that, when hitting a [Flat-Footed] opponent will leave him [prone].

Circle 7
Amakakaeru Ryu No HiramekiSU: This sword of mine glows with an awesome power, it's cold burn tells me to defeat those who stand in my way. Once per [Encounter], as a part of your attack action, if any part of the attack misses you make a second roll ignoring the opponents item and deflection bonus to AC, and inflict the [Battered] condition for 2 rounds.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 01:41:25 PM by Kitsune_Kinomi »
"The mark of a immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one. "
~ Wilhelm Stekel

"I thought I'd pretend I was one of those blind deaf-mutes."
~ Catcher in the Rye, J. D. Salinger

"The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power."
~ Julius Cesar, William Shakespeare

My Moonshine

Kitsune_Kinomi

• Ranger
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Track: Ronin
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 12:39:41 PM »
version log
version 1.0
   -Posted opening message
   -Posted track
"The mark of a immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one. "
~ Wilhelm Stekel

My Moonshine

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
  • Ballot Box Eye of Seeing Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 01:19:11 PM »
I really how these fit together mechanically. It may be a bit on the strong side, but the way it works is very neat!
"Trifles go to make perfection, and perfection is no trifle."
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

My friend just shared this: "Remember that time Gandalf convinced the whole party to flee so that he could take out the Balrog and not have to share any of the XP? Shows up the next session with fancy new robes and everything. What a jerk."

Sanctaphrax

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 11:06:33 PM »
Pretty darn cool. I don't feel totally qualified to judge it mechanically, but it's cool.

The only Circle that worries me is the last one. It bugs me that it makes missing into a good thing, since that provides some weird incentives.

Maybe it could trigger when you make a [Bonus Attack] with one of the other circles instead, whether you hit or not.

Kitsune_Kinomi

• Ranger
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 08:39:26 AM »
I can understand why that would seem a little odd, but I guess the only thing that I can really offer as a defence is that their are ways that you can tenically miss on purpose (say, the feat Kensai) which is one of the things I had in mind when making that circle. It's generally meant to make a recovery from a bad situation, or to mess some one up just before you finish them.

Does that make any more sense?
~ Wilhelm Stekel

My Moonshine

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 09:35:12 AM »
Considering its once per [encounter], I don't think it encourages you to be inaccurate at all. You would have to be doing some extremely serious focus on precision to expect to never miss in an encounter, and the only advantage it gives over hitting in the first place is [battered]-which by that point would be dirt common. I don't think it provides any "weird incentives" as is, even though abilities that activate on a miss have the potential to do so.
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

Kitsune_Kinomi

• Ranger
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 10:48:50 AM »
Speaking of which, I was just reading over c7 again and it's not as clear as I wanted it to be and has an older version of the effect from what I though.

First it's supose to be all remaining attacks ignor the AC's mentioned.

Secondly I was thinking of upping battered for the rest of the encounter (I think there are effects that do that and I'm 90% possitive battered can be easily removed at that level any ways)

How does that sound?
~ Wilhelm Stekel

My Moonshine

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 10:56:02 AM »
My main concern would be that you get more benefit if you miss earlier in the attack sequence... on the other hand, if you don't miss until later, you didn't really need the bonus anyways, so I guess that is fine. This very nearly translates to "Once per encounter, ensure that you hit every attack in a round". Well, not quite, as literally giving that ability would interact with power attack and such.
It seems fairly reasonable for a 7th circle, I think.
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

Kitsune_Kinomi

• Ranger
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 12:09:10 PM »
That's true, however like i've said before it's intended for a bit of synergy with intential miss things like Kensai, and if you miss later you can choose not to use it at all. I supose ^^; any ways I'll fix it up later today.
~ Wilhelm Stekel

My Moonshine