Author Topic: Spell Scion: Tome of the Wizard track  (Read 4541 times)

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
  • Ballot Box Eye of Seeing Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Spell Scion: Tome of the Wizard track
« on: November 10, 2012, 05:35:17 PM »
Okay, I'm trying out a spell scion. I estimated that +1 spell slot and spell known of each circle would be worth 7 enchantment points, so the rest of the track's abilities take up the remaining 9 enchantment points.

Here is a link to the thread where MetaMagic was discussed.

For the sake of variety and exploring some alternate avenues, I have made multiple versions of this track. The Usage Limitation and Meta Point versions of this track should be able to be taken multiple times without causing any problems.

I wanted to include Empower Spell (roll x1.5 number of dice) and Extend Spell (increase spell duration), but I don't think they would fit well with Legend.

~

Tome of the Wizard [NON-UNIQUE]
This arcane tome has been authored by a plethora of scholarly mages throughout the ages. Now, it has fallen to you. Provided you contribute to its pages, it will lend you its wealth of spellcasting power. The extensive data contained within its binding will augment your magical prowess.

Spell Scion: Tome of the Wizard track
None of the below versions of this track work with the Manyspell Magus feat. While none of the versions of this track require that they be tied to a specific spellcasting track, the resources of each spellcasting track are isolated from each other for the purposes of this track.
Circle Elevation
The abilities granted in circles 2 through 5 are known as metamagics. They can augment a spell, though their usage raises the spell's circle (and hence, which slot you use upon casting) by the listed "+#" amount. You can apply multiple metamagics (even the same one, though Silent/Still Spell and Maximize Spell would grant no further benefit) simultaneously, though the spell's circle is raised by each metamagic. For instance, if you use the Enlarge Spell metamagic twice on the Magic Missile spell, it can be cast at [Extreme] range and uses a Circle 3 spell slot instead of a Circle 1 spell slot.

1st Circle
Arcane MemoryEX: The compendium at your side broadens your spell knowledge. When you gain a circle of this track, choose a spell from the same circle of any of your spellcasting tracks. You learn that spell.
Arcane StaminaEX: This spellbook alleviates some of the burden of spellcasting. When you gain a circle of this track, you gain an extra slot of that circle for any of your spellcasting tracks. You can only benefit from this extra slot for a given spellcasting track ojnce that spellcasting track allows you to cast spells from that circle.

2nd Circle
Enlarge SpellSU: +1. You can cast farther. Increment the range of a spell augmented by this metamagic (melee => close => medium => long => extreme). A spell's range can never exceed [Extreme] range.
Heighten SpellSU: +1. You can cast stronger versions of a spell. You are treated as 1 Circle higher and 2 Levels higher for a spell augmented by this metamagic.

3rd Circle
Silent/Still SpellSU: +2. You can cast a spell without its verbal and somatic components. You do not provoke Attacks of Opportunity when casting a spell augmented by this metamagic.

4th Circle
Widen SpellSU: +3. You can cast more broadly. Double the Area of Effect of a spell augmented by this metamagic.
Maximize SpellSU: +3. You can ensure maximum damage. Do not roll damage for a spell augmented by this metamagic; it does damage equal to (the number of dice rolled of a given die type * the number of sides of that die type).

5th Circle
Quicken SpellSU: +4. You can cast faster. Decrement the action cost of a spell augmented by this metamagic (standard => move => swift => immediate). When decrementing from a swift action to an immediate action, this metamagic is only +2. A spell's action cost can never become less than an immediate action.

6th Circle
Arcane ExchangeSU: Your grimoire allows you to freely manipulate magic energy. You can use 2 slots of the same circle to equate using 1 slot of the next higher circle and vice-versa. This does not enable you to cast spells higher than the highest circle you can cast.

7th Circle
Arcane SupremacySU: The magic volume in your possession has enabled you to attain new peaks of spellcasting. Using metamagic, you can raise a spell's circle above 7, though you must utilize Arcane Exchange (now without the slot limitation) to do so.

Number-Crunching
16: tome of the wizard
   1: C1 (this is worth 7 enchantment points, which are spread evenly among the track's circles)
      arcane memory: +1 spell known per circle
      arcane stamina: +1 spell slot per circle
   2: C2
      enlarge: increment range
      heighten: circle +1, level +3
   2: C3: silent/still: no AoO
   3: C4
      widen: double AoE
      maximize: XdY damage = X*Y
   3: C5: quicken: decrement action cost
   3: C6: arcane exchange: 2-for-1
   2: C7: arcane supremacy: limit break
Usage Limitation
The abilities granted in circles 2 through 7 are known as metamagics. They can augment a spell. You can apply multiple metamagics (even the same one, though Silent/Still Spell and Maximize Spell would grant no further benefit) simultaneously. You can take this track multiple times, and all of its abilities stack, both C1's benefits and metamagic usage limits.

1st Circle
Arcane MemoryEX: The compendium at your side broadens your spell knowledge. When you gain a circle of this track, choose a spell from the same circle of any of your spellcasting tracks. You learn that spell.
Arcane StaminaEX: This spellbook alleviates some of the burden of spellcasting. When you gain a circle of this track, you gain an extra slot of that circle for any of your spellcasting tracks. You can only benefit from this extra slot for a given spellcasting track ojnce that spellcasting track allows you to cast spells from that circle.

2nd Circle
Enlarge SpellSU: You can cast farther. Once per [Encounter] when casting a spell, increment the range of that spell (melee => close => medium => long => extreme). A spell's range can never exceed [Extreme] range.

3rd Circle
Silent/Still SpellSU: You can cast a spell without its verbal and somatic components. Once per [Encounter] when casting a spell, you do not provoke Attacks of Opportunity when casting that spell.

4th Circle
Widen SpellSU: You can cast more broadly. Once per [Scene] when casting a spell, double the Area of Effect of that spell.

5th Circle
Quicken SpellSU: You can cast faster. Once per [Scene] when casting a spell, decrement the action cost of that spell (standard => move => swift). A spell's action cost can never become less than an swift action from this usage.
Alternatively, you can decrement from a swift action to an immediate action once per [Encounter] instead. A spell's action cost can never become less than an immediate action from this usage.
The two usages are mutually exclusive, meaning that once one has been used you cannot use the other until the next [Scene].

6th Circle
Maximize SpellSU: You can ensure maximum damage. Once per [Scene] when casting a spell, do not roll damage for that spell; it does damage equal to (the number of dice rolled of a given die type * the number of sides of that die type).

7th Circle
Free SpellSU: You can cast a spell without its material components. Once per [Scene] when casting a spell, it does not use up a spell slot, and 1 metamagic applied to it (aside from this one, because it'd be useless) does not count as having been used.

Number-Crunching
   1: C1 (this is worth 7 enchantment points, which are spread evenly among the track's circles)
   2: C2: enlarge: increment range
   2.5: C4: widen: double AoE
   2.5: C6: maximize: XdY damage = X*Y
   3: C7: free: no cost
Meta Points
You begin every [Scene] with a pool of Meta Points equal to double the circles of this track you possess. The abilities granted in circles 2 through 5 are known as metamagics. They can augment a spell, though their usage costs Meta Points equal to the listed "{#}" amount. You can apply multiple metamagics (even the same one, though Silent/Still Spell and Maximize Spell would grant no further benefit) simultaneously. For instance, if you use the Enlarge Spell metamagic twice on the Magic Missile spell, it can be cast at [Extreme] range and costs 2 Meta Points.

1st Circle

2nd Circle
Enlarge SpellSU: {1}. You can cast farther. Increment the range of a spell augmented by this metamagic (melee => close => medium => long => extreme). A spell's range can never exceed [Extreme] range.
Heighten SpellSU: {1}. You can cast stronger versions of a spell. You are treated as 1 Circle higher and 2 Levels higher for a spell augmented by this metamagic.

3rd Circle
Silent/Still SpellSU: {2}. You can cast a spell without its verbal and somatic components. You do not provoke Attacks of Opportunity when casting a spell augmented by this metamagic.

4th Circle
Widen SpellSU: {3}. You can cast more broadly. Double the Area of Effect of a spell augmented by this metamagic.

5th Circle
Quicken SpellSU: {4}. You can cast faster. Decrement the action cost of a spell augmented by this metamagic (standard => move => swift => immediate). When decrementing from a swift action to an immediate action, this metamagic is only {2}. A spell's action cost can never become less than an immediate action.

6th Circle
Maximize SpellSU: {3}. You can ensure maximum damage. Do not roll damage for a spell augmented by this metamagic; it does damage equal to (the number of dice rolled of a given die type * the number of sides of that die type).

7th Circle
Mitigate SpellSU: {4}. With less than the required mana, you can accomplish the same effects. Decrement the slot used up by a spell augmented by this metamagic.

Number-Crunching
   2: C2: enlarge: increment range
   3: C4: widen: double AoE
   3: C6: maximize: XdY damage = X*Y
   2: C7: mitigate: lower circle
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 02:02:14 PM by Yoder »
"Trifles go to make perfection, and perfection is no trifle."
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

My friend just shared this: "Remember that time Gandalf convinced the whole party to flee so that he could take out the Balrog and not have to share any of the XP? Shows up the next session with fancy new robes and everything. What a jerk."

Tenno Seremel

• Shaman
  • Elite
  • Destiny is chain for the weak.
  • Typo Hammer Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Spell Scion: Tome of the Wizard track
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 06:13:22 PM »
Enlarge SpellSU: +1. You can cast farther. Increment the range of a spell augmented by this metamagic (melee => close => medium => long => extreme). A spell's range can never exceed [Extreme] range.
Lightning Storm + Enlarge Spell + Elemental Specialization
[play|Hades: The bloody rage.flac]

+ Maximize spell, Manyspell Magus, Arcane Exchange, Arcane Supremacy
  • 3 circle 7 slots from class => one circle 7 slot, one circle 8 slot
  • 6 spell points = 6th slot, Arcane Exchange => 7th slot 12 spell points
  • circle 9 = 48 spell points
48 spell points, 3 circle 7 slots (or 96 spell points, doable even without 2 spellcasting tracks)
= Maximized Enlarged Lightning Storm
Death from heaven fall, everyone dies.

Greybender

• Elite
  • Eye of Seeing Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 06:16:00 PM »
Heighten spell seems quite strong if it affects your DCs, otherwise it's just a little weaker than maximize.
The game would implode into rocket tag in a twisted mockery of all that is wrong with 3.5, angels would weep and the skies would fall, and it would all be your fault. Yours and yours alone.

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 06:30:39 PM »
@Tenno Seremel:
And that goes to show that Call Lightning and especially Lightning Storm are both broken. Tweaking even 1 of the variables of those spells makes them far too strong, and their damage output when weighted against the fact that they only cost 1 spell slot for the entire [Encounter] makes them superior even to spells of circles higher than them.

Since Lightning Storm's target is yourself, the listed Range should really be the Area of Effect. This means Widen Spell is needed instead of Enlarge Spell. Thus, Maximizing and Widening would be +6 (requiring the equivalent of Circle 12, which is impossible).

I believe you're abusing a loophole in this track and Manyspell Magus to achieve part of that end. Using Manyspell isn't the same as using a slot, and you can't use this track to ignore Manyspell Magus's slot casting limit. Now, you could chain Arcane Exchange through multiple circles, but that'd cripple your casting ability for the remainder of the [Scene].
Is there a clause I need to include to prevent Manyspell Magus from interacting with this?

~

@Greybender: Since it does also affect DCs, I was considering making Heighten only do Level +2 (which would increase the DC by 1 exactly).
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 07:26:46 PM by Yoder »
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

My friend just shared this: "Remember that time Gandalf convinced the whole party to flee so that he could take out the Balrog and not have to share any of the XP? Shows up the next session with fancy new robes and everything. What a jerk."

Kitsune_Kinomi

• Ranger
  • Elite
  • I love foxes, can you tell?
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 06:33:20 PM »
Lightning Storm + Enlarge Spell + Elemental Specialization
[play|Hades: The bloody rage.flac]

+ Maximize spell, Manyspell Magus, Arcane Exchange, Arcane Supremacy
  • 3 circle 7 slots from class => one circle 7 slot, one circle 8 slot
  • 6 spell points = 6th slot, Arcane Exchange => 7th slot 12 spell points
  • circle 9 = 48 spell points
48 spell points, 3 circle 7 slots (or 96 spell points, doable even without 2 spellcasting tracks)
= Maximized Enlarged Lightning Storm
Death from heaven fall, everyone dies.

And this is why lightning storm is horribly broken xD, even out side of this track lightning stome is just, weird and broken IMO XD (call lightning too)
"The mark of a immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one. "
~ Wilhelm Stekel

"I thought I'd pretend I was one of those blind deaf-mutes."
~ Catcher in the Rye, J. D. Salinger

"The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power."
~ Julius Cesar, William Shakespeare

My Moonshine

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 07:11:39 PM »
I added the Usage Limitation version of Wizard. Taking that version of this track multiple times shouldn't pose a problem, but there might be a loophole in C7's Free Spell that I'm not seeing.
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

Tenno Seremel

• Shaman
  • Elite
  • Typo Hammer Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 07:42:13 PM »
@Tenno Seremel:
Also, Maximizing and Enlarging would be +4 (requiring the equivalent of Circle 10).
I'm aware of the fact, I substitute others with real slots (or just double as written later if you can't mix and match)

Using Manyspell isn't the same as using a slot
It should be mentioned then. Because this tracks changes spell's circle and Manyspell Magus allows you to cast spells with points instead of slots. Although… there is that pesky limit of "5 character levels ago", since you can't get access to Arcane Supremacy at level 15 then it isn't possible to do so unless there are more than 20 levels total.

But. Depending on how you read Arcane Exchange it allows you either (neither are intended, I guess):
  • to cast circle 7 by circle 6 (you don't have such spells, though). Which means at level 20 Manyspell Magus is a fair game for Enlarged Lightning Storm.
  • do what Arcane Supremacy is supposed to be doing. Which means… Maximized Enlarged whateverness of doom.

With 2 spellcasting tracks and Manyspell magus I can get 269 spell points without touching 7th circle slots. Maybe a bit more with this track and if I'll use point buy stats to get maximum casting stat possible. That's quite a large amount of Enlarged Lightning Storms even if I have to recast them every round.

You can also abuse it for an additional 1/round Call Lighting zap at 1 target, though, as it doesn't really consume resources after casting.

Now, you could chain Arcane Exchange through  multiple circles, but that'd cripple your casting ability for the remainder of the [Scene].
What if it's 2 spellcasting tracks? Besides, NPCs might not really care about surviving more than 1 encounter. Try to find him first. Oh, and he is zapping you every round. He can be everywhere withing extreme range. Good luck. And even PCs with this track and 2 spellcasting tracks can go full buy-in with at will abilities so they wouldn't be completely useless after that.

I propose to:
  • remove Extreme range from Enlarge Spell.
  • rewording Arcane Exchange a bit to clarify that you still can't cast higher that your spellcasting circle.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 07:44:49 PM by Tenno Seremel »

Grue

• Monk
  • Elite
  • Typo Hammer Eye of Seeing Dungeon Delver
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 07:54:24 PM »
the usage limit version of quicken spell still refers to +2 spell level when going from swift -> immediate.

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2012, 08:01:50 PM »
@Tenno:
I'm not understanding some of the way you're wording some of the exchanging, notably the 2nd bullet point in your first post:
"6 spell points = 6th slot, Arcane Exchange => 7th slot 12 spell points"

I had edited my reply to you a bit while you were writing your post. The change was to mention that altering Lightning Storm's "range" is really altering its Area of Effect (since you are really the target of the spell itself). This results in +6 instead of +4.

At the same time, NPCs aren't supposed to be played like they know they're going to die all the time so they just spam all of their resources because they can (the definition of meta-gaming).

Okay, I clarified Arcane Exchange.

EDIT: This should be assumed since they are isolated from each other anyway, but I went ahead and stated that spellcasting tracks' resources are isolated from each other.

~

@Grue: Thanks for the catch. I've fixed that.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 08:45:30 PM by Yoder »
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

Tenno Seremel

• Shaman
  • Elite
  • Typo Hammer Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2012, 12:57:26 AM »
"6 spell points = 6th slot, Arcane Exchange => 7th slot 12 spell points"
6 spell points is equivalent of 6th circle slot, two 6th circle slots is equal to one 7th circle slot. That makes 7th circle slot 12 spell points.

At the same time, NPCs aren't supposed to be played like they know they're going to die all the time so they just spam all of their resources because they can (the definition of meta-gaming).
Maybe they are desperate, maybe they have allies, maybe they are just homicidal maniacs that want this town to suffer, who knows. Of course, it shouldn't be usually done like this.

This should be assumed since they are isolated from each other anyway, but I went ahead and stated that spellcasting tracks' resources are isolated from each other.
Spell points are not isolated from each other, though. You spend slots and get spell points, which is a resource like focus points. And then you can
spend one point per circle of the spell you wish to cast, instead of expending a spell slot

EDIT:
I had edited my reply to you a bit while you were writing your post. The change was to mention that altering Lightning Storm's "range" is really altering its Area of Effect (since you are really the target of the spell itself). This results in +6 instead of +4.
Is there "area of effect" in Legend? Because Lightning Storm is an effect spell with Range: Long by RAW. i.e. caster is not the target of this spell at all.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 01:05:41 AM by Tenno Seremel »

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2012, 09:21:17 AM »
Ah, I see.

Fair enough.

I wasn't saying spell points should be isolated. I was saying that w/o Manyspell Magus, the resources of Tactician spellcasting are separate from Shaman spellcasting, right?

Are of Effect is in plenty of spells and abilities that describe the radius of an effect (Holy Smite, Flame Strike, etc...) or produce cones or lines. The Beta guide isn't always too good about distinguishing between Range and Area of Effect, so RAW is rather misleading in that regard. If you refluffed Lightning Storm to be a sphere of lightning expanding from you out to [long] range, that would clearly be the area of effect. The only reason it seems weird is because of the default fluff and wording.
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

Tenno Seremel

• Shaman
  • Elite
  • Typo Hammer Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2012, 09:53:40 AM »
I wasn't saying spell points should be isolated. I was saying that w/o Manyspell Magus, the resources of Tactician spellcasting are separate from Shaman spellcasting, right?
Yes.

Are of Effect is in plenty of spells and abilities that describe the radius of an effect (Holy Smite, Flame Strike, etc...) or produce cones or lines. The Beta guide isn't always too good about distinguishing between Range and Area of Effect, so RAW is rather misleading in that regard. If you refluffed Lightning Storm to be a sphere of lightning expanding from you out to [long] range, that would clearly be the area of effect. The only reason it seems weird is because of the default fluff and wording.
I'm more worried about spell stat blocks rather than fluff. They don't mention area which means who knows what. Maybe you could write it so only targeted spells (with Target line) can be Enlarged or something.

amechra

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2012, 03:44:48 PM »
May I suggest a Circle that let's you, 1/encounter, apply a [Weapon] feat to your spells?

So you could smack someone with A Scattering Wind, thus blasting spells off them with lightning.

Same goes with [Combat] feats.

Kitsune_Kinomi

• Ranger
  • Elite
  • I love foxes, can you tell?
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2012, 03:49:30 PM »
I don't entirely understand why this would be useful... I mean just take a short bow and use those feats. Beyond that would equivocally let you have all the combat/weapon feats at your disposal for the cost of 1+x, which is a horribly broken though *shudders*
"The mark of a immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one. "
~ Wilhelm Stekel

"I thought I'd pretend I was one of those blind deaf-mutes."
~ Catcher in the Rye, J. D. Salinger

"The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power."
~ Julius Cesar, William Shakespeare

My Moonshine

amechra

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2012, 04:00:54 PM »
What do you mean by 1+X?

Also, when I say 1/Encounter, I'm talking 1/encounter for using any of them. So if you used Epic Flail on a melee range spell (don't think there are any of those, but it works for an example), you would use up your 1/encounter use of [Combat]/[Weapon] feats on just increasing your reach by a little (and ignoring some armor class, which is a nice bonus.)

Seriously, you could restrict it to just single-target spells; if you did that, I don't see anything unbalanced in augmenting Call Lightning with And My Axe (you are still going to be doing less damage in a round than the guys who focused on dealing damage anyway, thanks to how the math works.

1 Lightning Bolt=20d6 damage +20 (Elemental Specialization)=140 damage, on average at level 20.
Martial Character with 4 attacks=Only have to deal something like 35 damage per attack to keep up. It's silly levels of easy to deal A LOT more with a martial character.)

Seriously, spellcasters are pretty damn weak at the moment. All that is probably going to change with 1.0, but as it is, Lightning Bolt is one of the few damage-dealing spells I like, just because, well, it brings me up to the point where I can participate in damage dealing without feeling like I'm useless.