Author Topic: Request: Dark Trader  (Read 4537 times)

loganic

• Monk
  • Elite
  • Problem Solver Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Request: Dark Trader
« on: November 28, 2012, 01:15:38 PM »
Many good stories have a character that can offer basically anything, for the right price. Whether you're talking about John Constantine, or basic power broker demons from Buffy, these are people who had to weasal, deal and just plain do hard work to get to where they are and they exploit that.

This was originally inspired by what I hoped the Zehr track from Battle Royale is, but I can't see how this would work mechanically. Feel free to put in your version of this. Use these 3 versions to inspire you

John Constantine/Harry Dresden -  Human with heavy occult knowledge that doesnt have any direct allegiances. He uses that knowledge to play one power against another and exploit them magically. A magical dark Mcgyver if you will.
Norn/Jaden - A dark Djin/demon/fey char who's tie to an alien god allows him to grant a wish in exchange for what your value most.
Power Broker: That spell is mine, in exchange for this.

Submissions

Kitsune_Kinomi
Dark Trader
Circle 1
Under the TableSU: You can make a pact with any willing creature, this is treated as a Combined Move and Standard action in combat, but will most often happen outside of combat. The benefits of these pacts vary depending on the pact itself. You may make one pact per circle you possess of this track. Whenever you have at least one pactee, you gain a untyped +1 bonus to all saves, and a untyped +1 bonus to all skills. If a Pactee breaks the terms of their pact, then they will no longer gain the benefit and take a negative to all save equal to the number of circles you posses of this track. If you break a pact, the pactee no longer gains the benefits of the pact. Pacts continue to function regardless of distance (even across planes), provided the pactee and pacter are both still alive.

Circle 2
Devilish DebonairEX: You gain a +2 fury bonus to all social skills.

Circle 3
Shaded WitEX: You can use your full move action when you use the combate uses of your skill checks, rather then only using half.

Circle 4
Drawn PowerSU: You gain a fury bonus to AC, Attack, Damage, or [Damage Reduction] equal to the number of pacts you have made. You may change which stat is affected once per round as a swift action.

Circle 5
Back Up PlanEX: Once per [Encounter], when you fail a skill or save check, you may re-roll and take the second result.

Circle 6
Burning WisdomSU: Once per [Encounter] you may cancel the effects of a single spell, spell-line, or supernatural ability, provided that it originated from a track that one of you pactees has.

Circle 7
I Will Borrow ThisSU: At the start of each [Scene] you may gain one seventh circle ability from any track that one of your pactees has. This does not take the circle away form it's original owner, nor do you pull from their usage pool.

Pacts
Wish for Youth
Gain [Fast Healing 5]

Wish for knowledge
Bonus +2 to a single knowledge skill

Wish for Power
Bonus +2 to either Attack or Damage rolls
Version Log
- Posted original Track
loganic

Spoiler
Dark Trader

You gain special skill:
Tactical Knowledge:(Creature subtype/organization)
  You can roll a Tactical Knowledge check at the start of each Encounter in which creatures you have a bonus in participate. These effects are cumulative. You either gain these bonuses yourself against these creature types, or provide these bonuses to an ally who shares this creature type

DC 15: +2 AC against/for this creature type
DC 25: Forced movement against/for creature type 5' 1/Round
DC 35: Critcal range increased by 1 against/for this creature type
DC 45:  Reduce resistance by one category against/for this creature type

1st: You gain the abilitiy to form a Pact, Lesser. You are able to benefit from one of each kind of Pact a time. The creatures with whom you form a pact with, must willingly agree to do so and prior to doing so, becomes fully aware of the number of times you have failed to uphold your end of a Pact.  If you establish a new Pact that exceeds your maximum, you cease to gain the benefits from a previous Pact, but failing to complete the required cost still counts as a failure on your part. See Pact Table for Benefits and costs.

2nd You gain a +2 to Cha bonus towards checks against any creature subtype/organization you have formed a Pact with in the past.

3rd When you make a Tactical Knowledge check, you gain/provide a +1 bonus to attack rolls for every multiple of 5 you make your check by, a 5' movement bonus for every multiple of 10 and a +1 to AC for every multiple of 15.

4th You gain the ability to form a Pact, Nominal. Lesser Pacts get a 50% bonus to listed bonus values.

5th You gain a +5 bonus to each Tactical Knowledge(Creature subtype/organization)  you have gained a bonus to in the past. This does not stack with any other bonuses.

6th You gain the ability to form a Pact, Greater. Nominal Pacts get a 50% bonus to listed bonuses, and Lesser pacts gain a 100% bonus (instead) to listed bonuses.

7th 1/Round, as a free action, you can summon a creature with whom you have formed a Pact with. This creature is granted the ability Return for up to 10 Rounds. The creature is only able to be summoned voluntarily and doing so consumes/completes it's Pact (cost still required). A momentary telepathic bond opens prior to this to confirm the creature's willingness.
Return: As a free action, return to the location from whence you were summoned

Pacts clarified
Pacts have a cost and benefit that's based on a point system, the details of which need to be negotiated between you and the other party
Lesser Pact - 2 points
Nominal Pact - 4 points
Greater Pact - 6 Points

Costs
1 - Errand
2 - Minor Task
4 - Major Task
6 - Major Quest

Bonuses
1 - +1 Bonus to Tactical Knowledge of Creature subtype/organization, that said creature is a part of, or has major influence.
1 - 1/Scene, you gain an Encounter long bonus to attack rolls and damage  equal to 3, against Creature subtype/organization, that said creature is a part of, or has major influence.

If you have bonuses from multiple Pacts, apply the greatest, and half of the rest.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 12:57:02 PM by loganic »

Kitsune_Kinomi

• Ranger
  • Elite
  • I love foxes, can you tell?
  • Eye of Seeing Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Request: Dark Trader
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 05:25:16 PM »
I did one, kinda of ^^; I'm not really familiar with any of the people that you were talking about so I just tried to model a track similar to some of the examples you gave.

I don't really like the idea of having the pacts have to much mechanical benefit (as it seemed most of your examples were more narative in nature, or extreamly OP) but I did include a few mechanical ideas non the less... I hope that this was at least kinda close... or at least interesting ^^;

Dark Trader
Circle 1
Under the TableSU: You can make a pact with any willing creature, this is treated as a Combined Move and Standard action in combat, but will most often happen outside of combat. The benefits of these pacts vary depending on the pact itself. You may make one pact per circle you possess of this track. Whenever you have at least one pactee, you gain a untyped +1 bonus to all saves, and a untyped +1 bonus to all skills. If a Pactee breaks the terms of their pact, then they will no longer gain the benefit and take a negative to all save equal to the number of circles you posses of this track. If you break a pact, the pactee no longer gains the benefits of the pact. Pacts continue to function regardless of distance (even across planes), provided the pactee and pacter are both still alive.

Circle 2
Devilish DebonairEX: You gain a +2 fury bonus to all social skills.

Circle 3
Shaded WitEX: You can use your full move action when you use the combate uses of your skill checks, rather then only using half.

Circle 4
Drawn PowerSU: You gain a fury bonus to AC, Attack, Damage, or [Damage Reduction] equal to the number of pacts you have made. You may change which stat is affected once per round as a swift action.

Circle 5
Back Up PlanEX: Once per [Encounter], when you fail a skill or save check, you may re-roll and take the second result.

Circle 6
Burning WisdomSU: Once per [Encounter] you may cancel the effects of a single spell, spell-line, or supernatural ability, provided that it originated from a track that one of you pactees has.

Circle 7
I Will Borrow ThisSU: At the start of each [Scene] you may gain one seventh circle ability from any track that one of your pactees has. This does not take the circle away form it's original owner, nor do you pull from their usage pool.

Pacts
Wish for Youth
Gain [Fast Healing 5]

Wish for knowledge
Bonus +2 to a single knowledge skill

Wish for Power
Bonus +2 to either Attack or Damage rolls
Version Log
- Posted original Track
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 05:32:24 PM by Kitsune_Kinomi »
"The mark of a immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one. "
~ Wilhelm Stekel

"I thought I'd pretend I was one of those blind deaf-mutes."
~ Catcher in the Rye, J. D. Salinger

"The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power."
~ Julius Cesar, William Shakespeare

My Moonshine

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 09:41:28 PM »
To me, this sees more like a way to play a character than something mechanical. Maybe be a rogue type with the appropriate skills.
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

Kitsune_Kinomi

• Ranger
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 10:28:51 PM »
Well you could technically do that, I think it's fun to try and build a track any ways. Because at least to me, it seemed as though this was some thing that was drawing power from those it made pacts with, some thing, at least rouges in legend, don't tend to do. I cold possibly see that is being a little like how the Heroica works for the paladin but not quiet. So really I would say that making a track for this sort of character would actually be fairly nice ^^; At the very least I can't think of any thing that seems to come close to the way it works, do you have any more specific idea's Mystify?
"The mark of a immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one. "
~ Wilhelm Stekel

My Moonshine

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 10:44:41 PM »
Well,  if I was going to try to make a track out of deals, it would work something like this:

You can establish deals and trades with other creatures. You grant some bonus, but they have to pay some cost, which translates into a bonus for you. For example, you might  give a +2 bonus to attacks, but they have to pay 1hp/level, which you gain. As you level, you gain acccess to more powerful deals, with more expensive  costs.
You could do this in 2 main ways.  The first is that these are normal buffs, but you are extracting a cost for it. The second is that you are also giving something up for it.
You also would need to consider the durations. Are these trades permanent? If so, it may be tricky figuring out who to give the bonuses to. If not, it may be tricky to make deals that regularly, and having your power fluctuate like that is bad. Perhaps there is an escape clause in the contracts that allows you to revoke them between scenes, so you can regive them.
The power of the track itself would be measured by the bonuses you accrue from the trades. The bonuses you give out are balanced by the costs that are paid, such that whether you buff a teammate or make a deal with a 3rd party it remains balanced. This would also allow players the option of taking deals with a 3rd party dark trader to mix things up- a bonus that can be revoked if need be.

Kitsune_Kinomi

• Ranger
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 10:48:00 PM »
Interesting! You don't think it would be too big a of a problem since you would be inflicting those negatives on other people, and how would this help you the pacter?
~ Wilhelm Stekel

My Moonshine

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 11:00:08 PM »
Interesting! You don't think it would be too big a of a problem since you would be inflicting those negatives on other people, and how would this help you the pacter?
You get a corresponding benefit for the negative. My example was a hp trade. Their max hp lowers by 1/level for the duration, and your max hp increases by 1/level. Your net gain is 1 hp/level. The negatives you inflict on  others would be voluntary, and should be balanced against the gains you grant.

Kitsune_Kinomi

• Ranger
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2012, 11:03:10 PM »
So you would gain the same benefit that the pactee would gain, only with out the negative? Doesn't that seem a little bit over powered >< that's why I didn't want to do that with my track because it would stack so many benefits on top of each other and that would lead to some problems when your messing with things like AC and Attack rolls right?
~ Wilhelm Stekel

My Moonshine

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2012, 11:10:51 PM »
So you would gain the same benefit that the pactee would gain, only with out the negative? Doesn't that seem a little bit over powered >< that's why I didn't want to do that with my track because it would stack so many benefits on top of each other and that would lead to some problems when your messing with things like AC and Attack rolls right?
no, you would gain the inverse of their negative.
and the benefits don't have to be simplistic things like AC and attack bonuses, nor would they need to be untyped. A typical track can be viewed as a set of bonuses you gain.
One odder pact may be only doable for spellcasters, but you trade in a portion of their magical power. They lose a spell slot per scene, you get a bonus roughly equal to a scene-duration spell of that circle, and you grant them some bonus.
The trick would be coming up with a set of balanced, interesting trades that can be made

Kitsune_Kinomi

• Ranger
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2012, 11:16:18 PM »
I see I see! That sounds really cool, what are the chances of you making said track xD
~ Wilhelm Stekel

My Moonshine

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2012, 11:19:01 PM »
Remind me in a few days, and I'll see what I can put together.

Kitsune_Kinomi

• Ranger
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2012, 11:34:21 PM »
All right I can't wait to see ^^ (assuming we both have finals I'll wait a bit >> *writes down note*)
~ Wilhelm Stekel

My Moonshine

Sanctaphrax

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2012, 10:32:10 PM »
I really like this idea.

If Mystify decides not to write it up, then I will.

loganic

• Monk
  • Elite
  • Problem Solver Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2012, 01:04:08 AM »
Hmm, you guys got me thinking, try this on for size,

Spoiler
Dark Trader

You gain special skill:
Tactical Knowledge:(Creature subtype/organization)
  You can roll a Tactical Knowledge check at the start of each Encounter in which creatures you have a bonus in participate. These effects are cumulative. You either gain these bonuses yourself against these creature types, or provide these bonuses to an ally who shares this creature type

DC 15: +2 AC against/for this creature type
DC 25: Forced movement against/for creature type 5' 1/Round
DC 35: Critcal range increased by 1 against/for this creature type
DC 45:  Reduce resistance by one category against/for this creature type

1st: You gain the abilitiy to form a Pact, Lesser. You are able to benefit from one of each kind of Pact a time. The creatures with whom you form a pact with, must willingly agree to do so and prior to doing so, becomes fully aware of the number of times you have failed to uphold your end of a Pact.  If you establish a new Pact that exceeds your maximum, you cease to gain the benefits from a previous Pact, but failing to complete the required cost still counts as a failure on your part. See Pact Table for Benefits and costs.

2nd You gain a +2 to Cha bonus towards checks against any creature subtype/organization you have formed a Pact with in the past.

3rd When you make a Tactical Knowledge check, you gain/provide a +1 bonus to attack rolls for every multiple of 5 you make your check by, a 5' movement bonus for every multiple of 10 and a +1 to AC for every multiple of 15.

4th You gain the ability to form a Pact, Nominal. Lesser Pacts get a 50% bonus to listed bonus values.

5th You gain a +5 bonus to each Tactical Knowledge(Creature subtype/organization)  you have gained a bonus to in the past. This does not stack with any other bonuses.

6th You gain the ability to form a Pact, Greater. Nominal Pacts get a 50% bonus to listed bonuses, and Lesser pacts gain a 100% bonus (instead) to listed bonuses.

7th 1/Round, as a free action, you can summon a creature with whom you have formed a Pact with. This creature is granted the ability Return for up to 10 Rounds. The creature is only able to be summoned voluntarily and doing so consumes/completes it's Pact (cost still required). A momentary telepathic bond opens prior to this to confirm the creature's willingness.
Return: As a free action, return to the location from whence you were summoned

Pacts clarified
Pacts have a cost and benefit that's based on a point system, the details of which need to be negotiated between you and the other party
Lesser Pact - 2 points
Nominal Pact - 4 points
Greater Pact - 6 Points

Costs
1 - Errand
2 - Minor Task
4 - Major Task
6 - Major Quest

Bonuses
1 - +1 Bonus to Tactical Knowledge of Creature subtype/organization, that said creature is a part of, or has major influence.
1 - 1/Scene, you gain an Encounter long bonus to attack rolls and damage  equal to 3, against Creature subtype/organization, that said creature is a part of, or has major influence.

If you have bonuses from multiple Pacts, apply the greatest, and half of the rest.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 12:56:28 PM by loganic »

Sanctaphrax

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2012, 01:30:22 AM »
loganic, I'm having a lot of trouble parsing what you've written there. Think you could clean it up a bit?

Also, I'm PMing Mystify to ask him whether he minds if I write up his idea.