Author Topic: Skill Game: Duel  (Read 1640 times)

Kitsune_Kinomi

• Ranger
  • Elite
  • I love foxes, can you tell?
  • Eye of Seeing Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Skill Game: Duel
« on: December 01, 2012, 05:35:01 PM »
Hello hello! Well I've been stuck on making a track for some time now so that's why I've not been as active as much. Any ways earlier today I was running a campain with one of my friends and we were trying to decide who would be coming on the next quest and who would be staying in our hub town to watch over the place, this was a dispute between a few NPC's  that rounded out a solo-campain. It ended up escalating to a improptue boxing match, which made me start thinking that some thing like that might be kinda nice for legend. So I've been trying to put this skill game together to represent some thing allong those lines. That being said I fully admit my grasp on skill games is tenuous at best and I'm fully aware that tecniqually you could model alot of this by using combat with natural weapons. However I just wanted to give it a go and see who it turned out.

I think the biggest problem right now is the lack of options, especially defencive so if you guys have any ideas, any at all please post them. Other then that I don't think it's too off, but at the same time I might be missing some thing so if you guys have any thing related to balance issues I would like to hear that out two.

One final note, I included three 'modules' with this. I didn't think that the same thing can really represent every thing so I ended up adding that system so that you can tweak it to slightly and get a veriaty of results. Let me know what you think. Well here goes nothing.

Duel
Type of Skill Game: Options
Numbers of Skills Chosen Per Round: 1
Maximum Number of Actions Per Action Round: 1
Skill List: Varies
Weather it is a gentlemanly dual to settle a dispute, or a one on one battle to the death. The Dual is a tried and ture method of settling an argument the bloody way. Though this option is not supose to be a way that one would want to take on the big bad bad-guy, this would make a good way to possibly setle a 'minor' disagreement or even model a bar room brawl, though that would require a bit of tweeking as currently it's one on one.

Duel Action Round
At the beginning of each round you may choose to fight either Offensively or Defensively, the Offensive and Defensive skills are assined based on the module of the skill game. From this you may choose to modify your action with an option by spending tokens. You roll against your opponent's Defense DC if you chose Offense and roll against your opponent's Offense DC if you chose Defense. Success means that you gain a token and additionally gain one of the following effects.
Offensive: You Score one hit.
Defensive: You negate one hit.

Duel Actions
There are two sorts of options that you may appile to your action that round, Offensive and Defensive. These two options are limited to the choice that you made at the beginning of the round. You may only choose to applie one of these options to an attack no matter how many tokens you may have acrued. These options will be cared out reguarless of the passing or failing of your skill check. Additionally reguardless of having modified you action with an option you may use the following.

Remise/Guard
Whenever you fail a check against your Offense/Defense DC check, you may spend a single token to still gain its effects, though you do not gain a token.

Duel Action Set: Offensive
Guard Break (2 Tokens): If your opponent guards this turn then you still score a hit.

Feint (2 Tokens): By making a Bluff check (The DC is their Perception Social Defense) you can negate the option your oponet has chosen this round.

Precise Blow (2 Tokens): By making a Knowledge Medicine check (DC 10 + level of Opponent/2 + Their CON) you can strike your opponent were it really counts. You remove one token from your oponet and and they take a -2 to all checks for the next round.

Lunge (3 Tokens): Your attack this round counts as having scored two hits.

Duel Action Set: Defensive
Parry & Riposte (2 Tokens): If your opponent fights offensively this round then you may score a hit.

Retreat (2 Tokens): By making a Bluff check (DC 10 + 1/2 opponets level + opponets perception) you can negate the option your oponet has chosen this round.

Modules
There are different conditions for winning based on what sort of dual you are undertaking. These primarly affect win conditions, however some might change some of the more basic rules.

Boxing
Offense Skill: Athletics
Defense Skill: Vigor
Every time an attack is made you must make a Vigor check (DC 10 + 2/Level + Opponent's STR) if you pass you continue the fight and the next check DC is increased by one. If you fail a save then you are knocked out and have lost the Skill Game.

Kendo
Offense Skill: Athletics
Defense Skill: Acrobatics
The main idea of a kendo match is to score a point on your opponet. To do this you often must set them off guard with a number of strikes first. To acive a point in a kendo dual you must make a number of seccesful attack atempts in a row equal to 1/3 your opponets Acrobatics skill.  The final hit in this chin will strike you opponet and score you one point. Though these attacks must be successive this doesn't mean that you can't defend it just means that you mustn't gail a save. The final blow in the chain scores you one point. You must score two points to win the match.

Fencing
Offense Skill: Acrobatics
Defense Skill: Vigor
At the start of the fencing match you start with a number of Dual Points equal to 1/2 your vigor skill. Every seccessful hit reduces your Dual Points by one until you reach zero and you have lost the match.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 03:47:13 PM by Kitsune_Kinomi »
"The mark of a immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one. "
~ Wilhelm Stekel

"I thought I'd pretend I was one of those blind deaf-mutes."
~ Catcher in the Rye, J. D. Salinger

"The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power."
~ Julius Cesar, William Shakespeare

My Moonshine

Kitsune_Kinomi

• Ranger
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Skill Game: Duel
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 05:35:30 PM »
Version Log
Version 1.0
Version 1.0.0
 - Posted original version of skill game and introduction
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 05:43:29 PM by Kitsune_Kinomi »
"The mark of a immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one. "
~ Wilhelm Stekel

My Moonshine

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
  • Ballot Box Eye of Seeing Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 10:04:08 PM »
Quite interesting, good job! It's nice to finally see a homebrew skill game.

I like the wide range of situations it can cover. It can also see it modeling martial arts instruction/training in those modules.

I agree that it needs some more defensive options, but I can't think of any (or at least, how they would be implemented mechanically).
"Trifles go to make perfection, and perfection is no trifle."
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

My friend just shared this: "Remember that time Gandalf convinced the whole party to flee so that he could take out the Balrog and not have to share any of the XP? Shows up the next session with fancy new robes and everything. What a jerk."

Kitsune_Kinomi

• Ranger
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 10:43:42 AM »
I don't know I think I really screwed up the way things work as far as skill games I've only run this game once in my campaign and it was interesting... not horridly broken just interesting...

It can ultimately cover a variety of different situations. I kind of wish I could think of a more generalized case for it though because right now you have to use the different modules and none of those really fit for just any thing especially boxing and kendo... Fencing is also a little bit string but that probably has a lot to do with how little I actually know about fencing.

Ya at least for the time being I'm tapped out for ideas as well... Most of the ideas I had came from playing The Witcher 2 any ways xD and I kinda suck at the boxing mini game so I don't have time to pay attention to what's going one when I'm staring at the screen waiting for a button to flash... speaking of which I wonder if you can model a witcher in legend or if it would require it's own track... hmmmm.
~ Wilhelm Stekel

My Moonshine