Author Topic: Track: Mental Trickster  (Read 2146 times)

loganfynne

• Mook
  • I play things.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Track: Mental Trickster
« on: December 11, 2012, 11:43:45 PM »
My first track! I made this entirely myself, and would love some advice on balancing it.

Mental Trickster

Spoiler
You may select your Charisma, Wisdom, or Intelligence modifier as your Key Ability Modifier, or KAM, which will be referred to as such throughout the track.
All abilities in this track are referred to as Tricks. All Tricks, unless otherwise noted, are [Mind-affecting].

1st Circle - Mental SpikeSU:
As a swift action, you may inflict [Shaken] on an opponent within [Close] range. Your target can negate the effects with a Will save with a (DC 10 + 1/2 your level + your KAM). The action is performed mentally, and can thereby be performed regardless of any physical obstacles between the Telepath and the target. The Telepath requires line of sight or a rough idea of the target's location to perform Tricks.

2nd Circle - Nice VibeSU:
You gain a rough idea of the emotions of those in close proximity to you. Along with this, you recognize harmful intentions a split second before they are acted upon. This causes you to gain a bonus to your Initiative equal to half your level.

3rd Circle - Third EyeSU:
Your Third Eye has been opened, and the way you view the world has changed dramatically. Well, actually, it has changed by about half, given that you have three eyes instead of two. You gain Ghostwise Sight out to 30 ft. All Tricks inflict 1d6 per circle + your KAM [Precision] damage upon the target(s).

4th Circle - HallucinogenSLA:
You can use a standard action to cast Major Image or Greater Invisibility as a spell like ability. These abilities are not considered [Mind-affecting].

5th Circle - Mind Blown SU:
As a move action, you may inflict [Confused] on a single creature within [Close] range. This effect may be negated with a Will save of (DC 10 + 1/2 your level + your KAM)

6th Circle - Intense Focus SU:
Due to your intense mental focus, you have gained the ability to discern malicious intent from the normal swathes of emotions in the minds of others. You are always able to act in a surprise [Round].

7th Circle - Mental Shockwave SU:
Once per [Encounter], as a standard action, inflict [Confused] on all creatures within a 35 foot radius of the Telepath. This effect may be negated with a Will save of (DC 10 + 1/2 your level + your KAM).

Many thanks to Metool for help with balancing and wording.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 12:47:51 AM by loganfynne »
sagesagesage

Metool

• Rogue
  • Elite
  • You ever lose hope?
  • Eye of Seeing Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Track: Telepathic Savant
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 12:42:54 AM »
Hmm, more resources to manage... Well, I would suggest carefully considering action costs for your conditions, as well as how disabling the conditions are. Decide on the ability type (EX, SU, SLA) for each of these, as well.
Additionally, perhaps list the core mechanic of the track (Trick points) before the actual 1st circle, and mention starting each encounter with a number of points in your pool equal to the number of circles of Telepathic Savant you possess, and then list your first circle ability.
It's an interesting concept, one that's not especially covered too well in the system yet. I'd like to see how this ends up.
"Honestly, I don't know if this non-core option is 1.0-ready"

No, it isn't. It may be updated at some point but it isn't 1.0-ready, which is why it isn't in 1.0. Anything that isn't in the 1.0 core rulebook should be treated as not being 1.0 compliant and used with caution if at all.

Kitsune_Kinomi

• Ranger
  • Elite
  • I love foxes, can you tell?
  • Eye of Seeing Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 10:33:00 AM »
C1: This seems to be really OP... or 'how to end any encounter in 3 turns' Well most combat doesn't last that long giving this as a free action is just way to powerful. You might want to consider making it a standard or better yet a move (at least IMO). Additionally editing the rules like 'You start each encounter with a number of Tricks equal to the number of circles you have in this track.' are probably not a good idea. Just follow the normal rules for Fear ladder on pg 120 of the BETA pdf.

C2: This one is at least two rounds of not using the track (granted that's t recover the points starting out you would have a nice nest egg) but again I'm not sure about this being a swift action in let's you get off a lot more in a round then I think your suppose to. I'm definitely no scholar of action economy but still...

C3: This one seems pretty good. I like you explanation for the ghost wise sight and the damage isn't too bad.

C4: Again I don't think there is any thing wrong with this, however I can't remember cause I think other members have said to avoid using things like 'You gain this spell' as track, but I'm pretty sure that tracks have that any ways so that's your call.

C5: The only thing that I'm just gunna give you a heads up about, making people switch around sides especially control over them is very difficult to balance and from my understanding on the whole legend has difficulty with people switching sides in the middle of combat so just consider making this a little bit different...

C6 and C7: This is an area I've run into a lot in home brew my self. Though 6 isn't to bad it can be really bad since every one looses their turn it is just on the whole kinda OP. Honestly I think 7 just needs a rewrite.... controling other's actions in legend is some thing that is insainly hard to balance because like I mentioned before it's some thing the system it's self has trouble with. A little bit here and there isn't too bad I don't think but controlling every one is just way to OP. I think C7 might need a whole re write. Maybe inflict some thing like the legend [confused] on every one for one turn. That is a lot stronger then you might think.

~

On the whole it seems to be a good first step forward. I look forward to seeing more of your Homebrew ^^
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 10:35:46 AM by Kitsune_Kinomi »
"The mark of a immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one. "
~ Wilhelm Stekel

"I thought I'd pretend I was one of those blind deaf-mutes."
~ Catcher in the Rye, J. D. Salinger

"The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power."
~ Julius Cesar, William Shakespeare

My Moonshine

loganfynne

• Mook
  • I play things.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 01:09:21 PM »
C1: I would say that having it as a free action makes it possible to perform the trick multiple times, but that the mechanic of only getting one Trick added to the point pool per round makes up for that in that to use it multiple times one would have to store up Tricks. I think this is pretty balanced, personally. Yes, you start each encounter with that number of Tricks. Therefore it is possible to use more than one Trick per turn. I fixed it and it functions as the Fear ladder generally does.

C2: I have changed it to a standard action. It does seem pretty overpowered. Any advice on ways to balance this circle more?

C3: Thanks, I like this one too.

C4: It is done in I Am Ten Ninjas, and a few other Tracks.

C5: So maybe I should weaken it a little bit? I really want the mind control part.

C6: Yes, that's kind of the point of 6. Maybe I should make it take up the move action and the swift action?

C7: It only lets the character control one person at a time. It has a save to negate the effects too. I haven't played with this ability, but I think if I weaken it a little it would be good.

Thanks very much for your input!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 12:29:18 AM by loganfynne »
sagesagesage

loganfynne

• Mook
  • I play things.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Track: Mental Trickster
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 12:31:08 AM »
I have now reworked a lot of the Track, and taken out the mind control aspects. I moved the sixth circle ability to the seventh, worked a lot on wording and the cost of actions, took out the Trick point mechanic as it was pointless, and toned down a lot of the overpowered aspects of the track. Thoughts, comments, concerns?
sagesagesage