Author Topic: Request: Swordmaster (WIS-based martial thing)  (Read 6350 times)

Metool

• Rogue
  • Elite
  • You ever lose hope?
  • Eye of Seeing Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Request: Swordmaster (WIS-based martial thing)
« on: December 23, 2012, 06:17:55 AM »
1st Circle – Trance EX: You enter a martial trance, a state where you gain heightened focus and reflexes. As a swift action, if you are not [Fatigued], [Exhausted], or in a trance, you can enter a trance, which lasts for a maximum number of [Rounds] equal to 3 + your Wisdom modifier (if positive).

Have fun with it!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 06:41:55 PM by Metool »
"Honestly, I don't know if this non-core option is 1.0-ready"

No, it isn't. It may be updated at some point but it isn't 1.0-ready, which is why it isn't in 1.0. Anything that isn't in the 1.0 core rulebook should be treated as not being 1.0 compliant and used with caution if at all.

Timeless Error

• Ranger
  • Elite
  • Emerald Knight
  • Typo Hammer Dev Team Problem Solver Eye of Seeing Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Request: Swordmaster (WIS-based Ragey thing)
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 10:26:17 AM »
Oooh...I like the idea.  I'll start thinking something up.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 11:32:03 AM by Timeless Error »
Thanks to Aruius on GitP for creating my excellent avatar!

This space is dedicated to Nezzy, the noblest Roden of them all.  May he rest in peace and be undisturbed by toxic chemicals.

My Homebrew

--Timeless Error, Emerald Knight

Exelixi

• Barbarian
  • Ace
  • Dwarfs can do lots of stuff. Like dig.
  • Contest Champion Dungeon Delver Eye of Seeing
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 03:40:28 PM »
I've been fencing for several years, and have never entered nor seen anyone entering a "martial trance."

Besides, Dervish is already basically like that.

I'd make it a passive thing.
http://www.ruleofcool.com/smf/index.php/topic,1185.0.html - A point-buy chassis (class) system. Perfectly balanced by the judicious application of SCIENCE!

""Release your inner dwarf.  Then get him some ale!" -EspyLacopa
"I have no idea what Exelixi looks like. I just picture crow feathers and a claymore." -Fro

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 04:05:22 PM »
I've been fencing for several years, and have never entered nor seen anyone entering a "martial trance."
I've never seen people do most of the things you can do in Legend. What is your point?
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

Exelixi

• Barbarian
  • Ace
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 04:39:13 PM »
Martial characters- at least at first- do realistic things, they just do them really well. At level one, a barbarian is just a Norse berserker. A Dervish is... Well, Dervishes are real things. Cleave is just swinging a claymore properly. Serpent is just kung-fu. (Not even magic kung-fu.) Assassin is just... You get the point. You don't get to "impossible" until around third circle or so for a martial character. So if a character- at least in the beginning- is supposed to be exactly what it says on the tin, a master of swordsmanship, then they should feel a little bit like a master of swordmanship. Until they hit fifth level and start ramming through brick walls, anyway.
http://www.ruleofcool.com/smf/index.php/topic,1185.0.html - A point-buy chassis (class) system. Perfectly balanced by the judicious application of SCIENCE!

"I have no idea what Exelixi looks like. I just picture crow feathers and a claymore." -Fro

Greybender

• Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 05:29:48 PM »
Swift action, concentrate on one opponent, get relevant bonuses.
Fluff: Observing thy opponent, analyzing his moves.
The game would implode into rocket tag in a twisted mockery of all that is wrong with 3.5, angels would weep and the skies would fall, and it would all be your fault. Yours and yours alone.

Timeless Error

• Ranger
  • Elite
  • Emerald Knight
  • Typo Hammer Dev Team Problem Solver Eye of Seeing Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2012, 06:13:53 PM »
Martial characters- at least at first- do realistic things, they just do them really well. At level one, a barbarian is just a Norse berserker. A Dervish is... Well, Dervishes are real things. Cleave is just swinging a claymore properly. Serpent is just kung-fu. (Not even magic kung-fu.) Assassin is just... You get the point. You don't get to "impossible" until around third circle or so for a martial character. So if a character- at least in the beginning- is supposed to be exactly what it says on the tin, a master of swordsmanship, then they should feel a little bit like a master of swordmanship. Until they hit fifth level and start ramming through brick walls, anyway.
I don't think it's so implausible for a character to pause for a split second at the beginning of combat to collect themselves.  I'm by no means an expert on swordsmanship, but from the experiences I've had as a competitive foil fencer (of the olympic, as opposed to historical, variety), mental focus, calmness, and the ability to enter "the zone" are just as important as skill and athleticism.

That said, this is Legend, whose main tenet is "Rule of Cool takes precedence."  Even if warriors historically never took a moment a moment to focus themselves before a battle, who cares?  It's fun.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 06:13:31 PM by Timeless Error »

This space is dedicated to Nezzy, the noblest Roden of them all.  May he rest in peace and be undisturbed by toxic chemicals.

My Homebrew

Exelixi

• Barbarian
  • Ace
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2012, 06:18:51 PM »
Yes, you have to collect yourself for a second before a match. However, if you're good, that second is the second you're grabbing your weapon. Furthermore, it doesn't wear off until the match is done. That's the main thing. I've never felt myself suddenly go "nope, I just forgot everything I know about the Bind. Well, fuck."

Timeless Error

• Ranger
  • Elite
  • Emerald Knight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2012, 06:29:47 PM »
Yes, you have to collect yourself for a second before a match. However, if you're good, that second is the second you're grabbing your weapon. Furthermore, it doesn't wear off until the match is done. That's the main thing. I've never felt myself suddenly go "nope, I just forgot everything I know about the Bind. Well, fuck."
Fair enough.  Myself, I'm not too attached to the swift action thing.  As the requester, Metool should decide.

My Homebrew

Metool

• Rogue
  • Elite
  • You ever lose hope?
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2012, 06:40:29 PM »
Screw the Rage-like bit.
"Honestly, I don't know if this non-core option is 1.0-ready"

No, it isn't. It may be updated at some point but it isn't 1.0-ready, which is why it isn't in 1.0. Anything that isn't in the 1.0 core rulebook should be treated as not being 1.0 compliant and used with caution if at all.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Request: Swordmaster (WIS-based martial thing)
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2012, 10:56:45 AM »
It could be a semi-magical trance.
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

loganic

• Monk
  • Elite
  • Problem Solver Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2012, 03:18:04 PM »
Simplify the concept. Trace is a matter is simple refocusing, and it's easy to lose focus over the course of several moves or interchanges with an opponent. Heck, name it focus, and call it good.

In swordplay and kungfu which I have no real knowledge of, apart from practing some simply forms, you move from position to position based on the forms your practice and you adapt. A lot like the new beast track, or maybe I'm thinking of something else . I think we can use a similar mechanic.
Focus -> bonus to next attack
Builder - >  if hits, causes a specific defense to lower.
Finisher - > Takes advantage of defense.
Maybe some recovery options if you fail the builder, or you can choose to refocus.
Have range/forced movement be a factor too.
A track like this would make swordplay a rather cerebral back and forth. That would be awesome.

Timeless Error

• Ranger
  • Elite
  • Emerald Knight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2012, 08:33:19 PM »
OK, here's what I've come up with so far.  Thoughts?  I'm concerned that I may have gone slightly overboard in terms of power.  Also, I'm open to suggestions for new abilities.  I have an open slot in the first circle, and if people have more ideas, feel free to speak up - I think it'd be cool to pile on the complexity for this one.

Swordmaster

This track changes your KOM to Wisdom, unless Wisdom is already your KDM.

This track grants access to Techniques, secret arts that you have learned on your journey to master the sword and the spirit.  Techiques can be activated at any time during a [Round], even when it is not your turn, and do not require an action.  You can use a number of Techniques per [Round] equal to half your highest circle in this track (minimum 1). 

1st Circle - Way of the SwordEX: You learn the Swordmaster's Basic Techniques.  All of the following are Basic Techniques:
       Insightful StrikeEX: Your next attack gains a bonus to the attack roll equal to half your opponent's deflection or item bonus to AC, whichever is higher.
       Uncanny DodgeEX: The next time an opponent attacks you, you gain a deflection or item bonus to AC (your choice when you activate the ability) equal to half that opponent’s fury or item bonus to attack rolls, whichever is higher.
       XYZEX:

2nd Circle - Eternal RhythmEX: You gain a bonus to initiative checks equal to half your level.  Additionally, you gain a number of temporary hit points equal to your highest circle in this track every time you use a Technique.  These temporary hit points last until the end of the [Encounter] and stack with themselves up to a total of three times your character level.

3rd Circle - Path of the SwordsmanEX: You gain access to Advanced Techniques.  All of the following are Advanced Techniques:
       Careful TimingEX: When you are targeted by an attack of opportunity, that attack of opportunity takes a penalty to the attack roll equal to your highest circle in this track.
       Defensive StanceEX: XYZ.
       Offensive StanceEX: XYZ.

4th Circle - Still MindEX: Just as you have refined your body and blade, so have you strengthened your soul and spirit.  You gain [Immunity] to [Mind-affecting] effects.

5th Circle - The Art of WarEX: You gain access to Master Techniques.  You can use a total number of Master Techniques per [Encounter] equal to one per five character levels you possess.  All of the following are Master Techniques:
       Faultless StrikeEX: Your next attack gains a bonus to the attack roll equal to the target’s deflection bonus to AC, item bonus to AC or KDM, whichever is higher.
       Karmic RetributionEX: Whenever an opponent within your [Melee] range would inflict the [Battered], [Bleeding], [Dazed], [Entangled], [Exhausted], [Fatigued], [Flat-footed], [Nauseated], [Prone], [Sickened], or [Slowed] condition on you, but you ignore the effect (through a successful save, [Immunity], or some other method), that opponent must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + ½ your level + your WIS modifier) or have the condition you ignored inflicted on them.
       Perfect DodgeEX: The next time an opponent attacks you, you gain a deflection or item bonus to AC (your choice when you activate the ability) equal to half that opponent’s fury bonus to attack rolls, item bonus to attack rolls, or KOM, whichever is higher.

6th Circle - Flying BladesEX: Once per [Encounter] as a standard action, you may perform three of the following actions, in any order (you may perform the same action more than once): move up to your speed, ignoring difficult terrain and without provoking attacks of opportunity; make up to two attacks, one at your highest base attack bonus and one at your lowest base attack bonus; perform any combat maneuver useable as a standard action; force all opponents within your [Melee] range to take damage equal to your level and make a Reflex save  (DC 10 + ½ your level + your WIS modifier) or be knocked [Prone]; force one opponent within your [Melee] range to make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + ½ your level + your WIS modifier) or become [Stunned]; heal yourself up to 6 times your level in damage.

7th Circle - Supernal ClarityEX: Once per [Encounter], you can use a Legendary Techniques.  All of the following are Legendary Techniques:
       One As Ten ThousandEX: Activate this ability at the beginning of a [Round].  For that [Round], once for each opponent in the [Encounter] with you, you can negate up to three times your level in damage that a creature deals to you and, if that creature is in your [Melee] range, may force them to make a Reflex save (DC 10 + 1/2 your level + your WIS modifier) or be [Blown away] in a direction of your choice or knocked [Prone] (your choice when you activate the ability).
       ForesightEX: For the remainder of the [Encounter], you are treated as if under the effects of a foresight spell.  You can choose to end the effect to achieve a natural 20 on one d20 roll as usual.
       Time Stands StillEX: You can move up to half your movement speed without provoking attacks of opportunity and make a single attack (you may make the attack before or after you move).
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 09:00:51 PM by Timeless Error »

My Homebrew

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
  • Ballot Box Eye of Seeing Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2012, 10:09:48 PM »
I really like the Strike+Dodge duality.

Can you use the same Technique multiple times in the same round?

You state how many Techniques you get at C1, but it isn't clear whether the restriction mentioned applies to all Techniques or just Basic Techniques. Also, how many Advanced Techniques you get isn't specified.

C6 is where the track is definitely being a little OP.
Can the same one be done multiple times? If so, that allows for a 6-hit flurry attack.

As a suggestion for C1, how about "Once as One Thousand," which negates the first critical from each opponent?
"Trifles go to make perfection, and perfection is no trifle."
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

My friend just shared this: "Remember that time Gandalf convinced the whole party to flee so that he could take out the Balrog and not have to share any of the XP? Shows up the next session with fancy new robes and everything. What a jerk."