Author Topic: Request a Legend Homebrew  (Read 24381 times)

Timeless Error

• Ranger
  • Elite
  • Emerald Knight
  • Typo Hammer Dev Team Problem Solver Eye of Seeing Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Request a Legend Homebrew
« on: December 24, 2012, 01:38:57 PM »
I've seen a couple homebrew requests popping up on the boards, so I thought that it would be cool to have an official thread for it (similar to this).

What It's For
If you're reading this thread, chances are you want a custom-tailored Legend mechanic.  Maybe you'd like to spring a nasty, unique monster on your players.  Maybe you have a character concept with a unique trick that the official rules don't account for.  Maybe you have an idea burning a hole in your pocket, but you don't think you have the mechanical know-how to create it yourself.  If so, you've come to the right place!

How It Works
To make a request, specify what kind of homebrew you want (track, feat, race, etc.) and provide a description of what you envision.  Then wait for one of the board's homebrewers to respond.  If the homebrew is relatively small (such as a feat or an item), the homebrewer posts it here.  If the homebrew is larger in scale (such as a track), the homebrewer starts a separate thread and links it here.  Once the homebrew has been created, other posters should feel free to critique and recommend changes as usual.  Comments should be posted in the appropriate thread (the main thread for small homebrews, the separate thread for large homebrews).

Requesters, please number your requests as R1, R2, etc.  Homebrewers, please number your homebrews as H1, H2, etc. (corresponding to the number of the request).  Commentators, please number your comments as C1, C2, etc. (corresponding to the number of the request).

Happy Homebrewing!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 09:42:01 PM by Timeless Error »
Thanks to Aruius on GitP for creating my excellent avatar!

This space is dedicated to Nezzy, the noblest Roden of them all.  May he rest in peace and be undisturbed by toxic chemicals.

My Homebrew

--Timeless Error, Emerald Knight

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Request a Legend Homebrew
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 02:10:45 PM »
I think it could work, if the actual tracks are created in their own thread and linked
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

loganic

• Monk
  • Elite
  • Problem Solver Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 02:59:56 PM »
I think it could work too, but I also think it'll be underused until our numbers swell after 1.0 release
It might be good to get it in place early in anticipation of a future need for it.

I like the gist of request tracks because with multiple perspectives, you can get some cool ideas.

Since we're in the topic of new stickies, I'd like to request an officiated thread. A thread where a dev nominates a post/track to being balanced within Legend standards, or at least close.. Of course it would still be up to the GM, but that may allow for more GMs to consider using some homebrew material if they know that there's not going to be a major balance issue.

Edit: On second thought, this may be more of a head ache than it's worth because that could lead to lots of review requests. Meh, it's your call, but it seems like a good idea, but more work.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 03:02:48 PM by loganic »

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
  • Ballot Box Eye of Seeing Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 05:59:56 PM »
A repository of links to request threads could be useful.
"Trifles go to make perfection, and perfection is no trifle."
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

My friend just shared this: "Remember that time Gandalf convinced the whole party to flee so that he could take out the Balrog and not have to share any of the XP? Shows up the next session with fancy new robes and everything. What a jerk."

afroakuma

• Administrator
  • Elite
  • Prayer Wing Scroll of Scribes Problem Solver RoC Staff Art Aficionado Eye of Seeing Aquarius Dev Team
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 07:41:56 PM »
*sets up camp to watch the story as it develops*

Timeless Error

• Ranger
  • Elite
  • Emerald Knight
  • Typo Hammer Dev Team Problem Solver Eye of Seeing Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 08:33:40 PM »
OK, main thread updated with some suggested rules.  Thoughts?

This space is dedicated to Nezzy, the noblest Roden of them all.  May he rest in peace and be undisturbed by toxic chemicals.

My Homebrew

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 09:55:08 PM »
That looks like a good set of guidelines. I do foresee a potential problem, though I'm not sure how to curb it:
Some may come asking for something that Legend already provides (namely, a monster modeled w/ certain tracks that may not be obvious). Such, they may create a topic for something relatively simple (we already have 2 threads dedicated to posting builds). When this forum gets larger, there could be a lot of threads that die very quickly due to being answered w/ existing content. What do you think?
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

My friend just shared this: "Remember that time Gandalf convinced the whole party to flee so that he could take out the Balrog and not have to share any of the XP? Shows up the next session with fancy new robes and everything. What a jerk."

Timeless Error

• Ranger
  • Elite
  • Emerald Knight
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2012, 12:09:12 AM »
That looks like a good set of guidelines. I do foresee a potential problem, though I'm not sure how to curb it:
Some may come asking for something that Legend already provides (namely, a monster modeled w/ certain tracks that may not be obvious). Such, they may create a topic for something relatively simple (we already have 2 threads dedicated to posting builds). When this forum gets larger, there could be a lot of threads that die very quickly due to being answered w/ existing content. What do you think?
The way I envision it, initial requests will be submitted in the main thread, regardless of size.  A new thread would be created only when the homebrew itself is posted.  That way, if an idea can be modeled with existing content, people can comment to that effect and recommend it to the requester.

My Homebrew

Metool

• Rogue
  • Elite
  • You ever lose hope?
  • Eye of Seeing Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2012, 04:00:49 AM »
R1, a classic of the d20 system...
Breath weapons! I'd like to see a decent at-will-ish AoE attack for those with the Dragon track, or perhaps for those fond of flamethrowers. However you can make it work, feat ([Iconic] or no), track, magic item, anything will do. I'd like to see how the people here would work it!
"Honestly, I don't know if this non-core option is 1.0-ready"

No, it isn't. It may be updated at some point but it isn't 1.0-ready, which is why it isn't in 1.0. Anything that isn't in the 1.0 core rulebook should be treated as not being 1.0 compliant and used with caution if at all.

Greybender

• Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2012, 08:43:49 PM »
H1 Deadly breath [Iconic]
You inherited the non smelly part of your forefathers.
Benefit: You gain a breath weapon, which deals 1d12 damage per level and  may be used 2 times per [encounter], your breath weapon deals damage from one of the following elements, choose one, the choice is permanent: [cold], [fire], [acid], [lightning];
It also takes one of the following forms, choose one, the choice is permanent:
Line that reaches to [close] range
Cone that reaches to [Melee] range

At 10th level creatures affected by your Deadly breath must make a Reflex save(DC 10+1/2 level+KOM), or fall [prone]

Hope you like it :P
The game would implode into rocket tag in a twisted mockery of all that is wrong with 3.5, angels would weep and the skies would fall, and it would all be your fault. Yours and yours alone.

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2012, 12:34:37 AM »
The way I envision it, initial requests will be submitted in the main thread, regardless of size.  A new thread would be created only when the homebrew itself is posted.  That way, if an idea can be modeled with existing content, people can comment to that effect and recommend it to the requester.

Sounds like a plan!
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

Tim4488

• Elite
  • Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2012, 12:35:09 AM »
H1 Deadly breath [Iconic]
You inherited the non smelly part of your forefathers.
Benefit: You gain a breath weapon, which deals 1d12 damage per level and  may be used 2 times per [encounter], your breath weapon deals damage from one of the following elements, choose one, the choice is permanent: [cold], [fire], [acid], [lightning];
It also takes one of the following forms, choose one, the choice is permanent:
Line that reaches to [close] range
Cone that reaches to [Melee] range

At 10th level creatures affected by your Deadly breath must make a Reflex save(DC 10+1/2 level+KOM), or fall [prone]

Hope you like it :P

I might make it 1/encounter, +1/4 or 5 levels, rather than a static 2 per encounter all the time. That seems to match other Legend mechanics better.
Maybe some feats like (I'm just guessing at level requirements, they might need adjustment)

Enlarged Breath
Requirement: 12th level, Deadly Breath
Benefit: If your breath weapon is a Line, it now extends to [Medium] range. If your breath weapon is a Cone, it now extends to [Close] range.

Versatile Breath
Requirement: 6th level, Deadly Breath
Benefit: You may use your weapon as either a Line or a Cone, as described in the Deadly Breath feat.

Breath Admixture
Requirement: 9th level, Deadly Breath
Benefit: You may choose an additional energy type from the list of those available for breath weapons (not the same type you already possess). Your breath weapon's damage is divided equally between your two energy types.
"MY BLADE THIRSTS FOR MORE LEGEND." - Valixes

My homebrew.

Greybender

• Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2012, 08:14:38 AM »
@Tim4488 I made it 2/encounter because in d&d it was every 1d4 rounds for most breath weapons, so in legends 3-5rounds encounters it would reflect that bit, I like your feats, was thinking of making some meta-breath feats, but didn't have the time for it :D
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 04:48:25 PM by Greybender »
The game would implode into rocket tag in a twisted mockery of all that is wrong with 3.5, angels would weep and the skies would fall, and it would all be your fault. Yours and yours alone.

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2013, 10:00:11 PM »
H1 - Breath Weapons
I'll take a crack at a Legendary Ability version. It uses Elementalist C3 as a base (w/ Elemental Boost being added across the board), adding in the effects of Onrush in the later abilities while upping range proportionally and damage die.

Fated: Great Breath Weapon
Once per [Encounter] at the cost of both a standard action and a move action, you can unleash a blast of energy from your gaping maw. The choices of the shape your blast manifests and the element your blast deals are permanent.

Your breath weapon deals 1d6 elemental ([Acid], [Cold], [Electricity], or [Fire]) damage per level. Also, based on your element choice, your breath weapon inflicts the associated status condition for the associated duration:
   [Acid]: Nauseated for 1 [Round].
   [Cold]: Slowed for 1 [Round].
   [Electricity]: Entangled for 2 [Rounds].
   [Fire]: Blinded for 2 [Rounds].

Your breath weapon manifests in one of the following shapes:
   A. A ball fired at a specific location within [Long] range that detonates in a 20 ft radius explosion upon either reaching that location or hitting an obstruction. Any creature affected is entitled to a Reflex save for half damage. Creatures who fail the Reflex save are hurled to the outside edge of the effect.
   B. A 5 ft-wide line fired at a specific location within [Medium] range that continues until it reaches the limit of [Medium] range or strikes an obstruction. The line deals damage to the obstruction and, if that damage is sufficient to break through the obstruction, continues as normal. Any creature affected is entitled to a Reflex save for half damage. Creatures who fail the Reflex save become [Prone].
   C. A cone, 15 ft long + 5 ft per level (Reflex half). Creatures who fail the Reflex save are pushed backwards up to 5 ft per level, but cannot be pushed past the outside edge of the cone.

If you cast spells, the Reflex save DC is based off of your primary spellcasting ability. Otherwise, you can pick a mental ability, and that ability determines the Reflex save DC for this Legendary Ability. The Reflex save DC for this Legendary Ability is 10 + 1/2 your character level + the modifier of the mental ability you selected.

Immortal: Greater Breath Weapon
Prerequisites: Great Breath Weapon
Your breath weapon instead deals 1d8 damage per level. Also, your breath weapon inflicts the [Blown Away] condition. Additionally, the shapes are upgraded as specified below:
   A. The ball instead detonates with a 80 ft radius explosion.
   B. The line can instead be fired at a specific location within [Long] range and continues until it reaches the limit of [Long] range.
   C. The cone is instead 60 ft long + 20 ft per level.

Legend: Greatest Breath Weapon
Prerequisites: Greater Breath Weapon
Your breath weapon instead deals 1d12 damage per level. Also, your breath weapon inflicts the [Battered] condition until the end of the [Encounter]. Additionally, the shapes are upgraded as specified below:
   A. The ball instead detonates with a 200 ft radius explosion.
   B. The line can instead be fired at a specific location within [Extreme] range and continues until it reaches the limit of [Extreme] range.
   C. The cone is instead 150 ft long + 50 ft per level.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 10:12:20 PM by Yoder »
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

Metool

• Rogue
  • Elite
  • You ever lose hope?
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2013, 11:30:59 PM »
R2
An ability of some sort that rewards allies for being near each other, not necessarily near the character with the ability. One suggestion is an [Iconic] that allows placing Savant automatons on allies.
"Honestly, I don't know if this non-core option is 1.0-ready"

No, it isn't. It may be updated at some point but it isn't 1.0-ready, which is why it isn't in 1.0. Anything that isn't in the 1.0 core rulebook should be treated as not being 1.0 compliant and used with caution if at all.