Author Topic: New [Iconic] Feats  (Read 3735 times)

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
New [Iconic] Feats
« on: March 12, 2012, 12:58:28 AM »
Prismatic caster[Iconic]
You learn to  utilize a variety of energy types in your magic
Prerequisite: Elementalist or Spellcasting track
Benefit: When you use a spell or spell-like ability that deals elemental damage, you randomly determine what type of damage it deals.
Roll a d4, and use the following energy type based on the result:
1: fire
2: electricity
3: cold
4: acid
If the ability has other effects dependent on the type of energy, they are chosen based on the new energy type.
starting at 5ht level, once per e you may choose the energy type instead of rolling. You may use this ability an additional time per encounter at 10th, 15th, and 20th level.

Unusual heritage[Iconic]
You have a touch of an unusual heritage, whether from a tainted bloodline or from an arcane ritual.
Benefit: Pick a race and racial track you do not possess. You may access its 1st circle ability.

Sweet ride [Iconic][Skill]
Requirements: Vigilante track, Signature Ride, Ride as a trained skill
Description: Your signature ride is significantly more awesome that one would expect.
Benefit: You may add in the qualities of a point buy mount to the mysterious contraption you call forth with Signature Ride. You must meet all of the normal requirements to have a mount of that tier, including the item slot consumed. The signature ride cannot be destructible.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 08:05:36 PM by Mystify »
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

crackpotTheorist

• Shaman
  • Minion
  • Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: New [Iconic] Feats
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 01:50:52 AM »
Prismatic caster[Iconic]
You learn to  utilize a variety of energy types in our magic
Should be YOUR magic.

1/encounter/5 levels you may choose the energy type instead of rolling.
Thats a really funky wording to go with. I would instead go with once per encounter per circle of your spellcasting/elementalist track. Or word it as "Once per encounter you may BLAH BLAH. At levels 5, 10, and 15, you gain an additional use of this ability per encounter."

Unusual heritage[Iconic]
You have a touch of an unusual heritage, whether from a tainted bloodline or from an arcane ritual.
Benefit: Pick a racial track you do not possess. You may access its 1st circle ability.
Has potential.  Would need some clarification on how that would work with something like Undead, since the first circle doesn't actually have you pick your subtype, you pick that when you gain the track, and you never actual gain the track in this case.
Track overview (stolen from Zejety to spread the love)

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 01:55:34 AM »
Good points, I've modified them accordingly.

crackpotTheorist

• Shaman
  • Minion
  • Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 02:17:03 AM »
Hmmm. Something about Unusual Heritage just looks... wrong. I dunno what it is though. Then again, I haven't slept in 30 hours and am sick, so don't take that too personally.
Track overview (stolen from Zejety to spread the love)

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 02:23:26 AM »
Hmmm. Something about Unusual Heritage just looks... wrong. I dunno what it is though. Then again, I haven't slept in 30 hours and am sick, so don't take that too personally.
You have now made me painfully aware of how unusual it is for a word to have three u's seperated by a single letter, and how the word is self-descriptive because of it, and how that is unusual in and of itself, yet surprisingly common in spite of that.

gkathellar

• Tactician
  • Global Moderator
  • Ace
  • My right hand was thunder, and my left was stone
  • Scroll of Scribes RoC Staff Dungeon Delver Eye of Seeing Dev Team Art Aficionado Magic 8-Ball
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 09:19:42 AM »
Prismatic Caster is interesting, but I'm not sure I can clearly see the benefits of taking it, how did you see it used?

Unusual Heritage is problematic, because feats in general shouldn't give you track abilities. This is especially weird when said track ability gives you a feat.
Seven is the Number of Legend.
This is my mod voice.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 01:22:07 PM »
Prismatic Caster is interesting, but I'm not sure I can clearly see the benefits of taking it, how did you see it used?

Unusual Heritage is problematic, because feats in general shouldn't give you track abilities. This is especially weird when said track ability gives you a feat.
Well, until 6th circle you are still subject to elemental resistances, so you would now have a 3/4 chance of getting around it. Same thing about elememtalist's rider effects; i you chose acid, and they are immune to nausea, you still have 3/4 chance of hitting them with a different status effect that they may be susceptible to. Or if they have a weakness, you now have 1/4 chance of your attacks striking it. Then the ability to choose lets you strike with specifically the element you need. It helps in the situation of "Oh no, my fire elementalist is in the land of fire elementals".

And for unusual hertitage, I specifically looked through all of the 1st circle abilities to see if they made sense. You end up with things like a demon-blooded creature having some claws and a bonus to a social skill, half-dragons get claws and wings, part constructs get hard to break, undead tainted get a minor consumption ability, and having a beastial background gives you reach with your unarmed attacks, and a +1 fury and item bonus  to either AC or to-hit.

All of these seemed quite reasonable to me, and generally conveyed a lot of the flavor of the race without doing anything that struck me as inappropriate for an iconic feat. Half-dragon was the most iffy, getting claws and wings of war. However, the claws are not really anything special, they are just a main weapon. the wings of war feat is acquired early, but as dragon shows, that is not necessarily a problem. Things can have flying early, and you are spending your iconic feat on it. Later, the flight will be expected, and you still are spending your iconic on it, with only a claws to show for it. Skeletal champion also gives you a feat, but that is all you get. Two of them are iconics, so spending your iconic feat to get them is 100% balanced, all you get is flavor, and picking kensai means you are spending your iconic feat for a non-iconic feat . Actually, skeletal champion establishes that a 1st circle ability is equivalent to an iconic feat.

DragoonWraith

• Sage
  • Global Moderator
  • Elite
  • Typo Hammer Ballot Box Eye of Seeing Dev Team Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • DragoonWraith.com
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 01:34:34 PM »
Dragons get Wings of War early, and pay for it with a weak racial chassis.... in theory. There are ways around that though.
Legend contributions: As Above, So Below (rewrite); Reap the Whirlwind, A Personal Touch, Kept Secret, Kept Safe (Professional Soldier); Combat Alchemist (extra track)

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 01:41:06 PM »
Dragons get Wings of War early, and pay for it with a weak racial chassis.... in theory. There are ways around that though.
And a half-dragon would be paying for it with their iconic feat.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 01:35:46 AM »
Actually, the unicorn track seems to be the most problematic to me. Mainly because its offering a scaling bonus to damage. 20d4 extra damage on a charge may make sense for a track ability, but the scaling makes it inappropriate for a feat. Other things that scaled tended to key off of circle, which meant they didn't. The only other one is earth elemental, and thats a standard action to do character level damage to things around you, so that doesn't feel wrong to me.
The closest ability to that on a feat is the bigger they are, which adds 1/2 level to creatures bigger than you.
So I think the real issue is that the ability is scaling with level, which implies that the other circles of the track are balanced to compensate, instead of a single circle ability that stands on its own.
The obvious solution would be to add in a clause to it that means it always operates as if you are level 1. Any thoughts on this?

Greenish

• Elite
  • Eye of Seeing
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 11:32:20 PM »
The only other one is earth elemental, and thats a standard action to do character level damage to things around you, so that doesn't feel wrong to me.
Move action, actually, and level+KOM damage.
Legend characters:

Samael Krane, chain-smoking demon paladin.