Author Topic: sirp's homebrew notebook  (Read 8046 times)

sirpercival

• Elite
  • you can't stop the miles
    • View Profile
    • Awards
sirp's homebrew notebook
« on: January 16, 2013, 03:53:46 PM »
This is a thread for me to keep track of and work through ideas for homebrew stuff that I'll be posting in separate threads.  It's kind of like an expansion of my To-Do List from mmx.

Please, please chime in to help!  Anything that I want input on will be linked to a post where I start to discuss it, and/or italicized.

Current Active Projects:
  • Ethos of the Wyrm (link is to Ethos on GitP):
    • Write True Devotee prc, along with assassin-y, fast-progression, and high-level only prc's?
    • Brainstorm new prcs, feats, and items (discussion)
  • Port Historian (and supporting materials) to RoC and finish update (discussion)
  • Write Chaos-based prc for GitP PrC Contest (discussion)
  • Heroes of Hyrule (link is to HoH on GitP):
    • Write Gerudo Dragmire base class.
  • Write more Epic Spheres
  • Write the Devouring Crypt epic discipline
  • Do more on Conquered Mountain (link is to CM on GitP)
  • Port Extractor to RoC, rewrite extraction rules
  • Write up Drammor's 3 disciplines
  • Port more of Magipunk to GitP
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 08:52:57 PM by sirpercival »
It's a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.

Homebrew Notebook
PbP Char Notebook

sirpercival

• Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: sirp's homebrew notebook
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 03:55:54 PM »
I hope you don't mind if I semi-hijack this thread to talk about the Historian.

The problem I was having was for the Martial Eras & "Feats" (aka Styles which is what I'm renaming them to).  The original class had you gain them every 1st + 2nd and 3 levels (so 8 total); however, that meant you'd have trouble attuning to 3 eras at once, and 4 was impossible (the minimum number of "feats" you would need was 10).

My solution was to give out the Styles with the Eras that required them.  However, there were 3 required Styles that didn't exist, and 9 that weren't associated with an Era and therefore would never be given out.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to fix this?  The most direct fix is to write the required-but-missing Styles (which I'm probably going to have to do anyway) and then make up some new Eras to cover the 9 unused ones... however, that's a lot of material that I'm adding.

How about a crazy third option? Give the feats/styles/widgets like in the original writeup, but don't have them as prerequisites (use a minimum level or something for that). Instead, each of the widgets can have an extra effect if you're attuned to its era (or if you prefer, each era can have an extra effect if you're attuned to its widgets).

Link to the Past/Present/Future material? I've sadly never even looked at it...

Link to the Past/Present/Future material? I've sadly never even looked at it...

Also... would it be too nuts to add a version of the Blueshift ability from this class to the Time Bandit?

My board, Strato's original.

Sadly, my Echocaller port is not cached...

How about a crazy third option? Give the feats/styles/widgets like in the original writeup, but don't have them as prerequisites (use a minimum level or something for that). Instead, each of the widgets can have an extra effect if you're attuned to its era (or if you prefer, each era can have an extra effect if you're attuned to its widgets).
You mean a min level prereq for the eras?  The problem with that idea is that I'd have to write new abilities for almost every era, since almost every existing era ability is based on one of the widgets.

One possibility... what if I just remove the prereq part?  If you don't have the widget that a particular era ability is based on, you don't get that ability, but you could theoretically still attune the era to get other stuff?

Anyone have input on this?
It's a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.

Homebrew Notebook
PbP Char Notebook

sirpercival

• Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 04:07:52 PM »
I'm brainstorming a Sage base class, based on the Seven Sages (including Zelda) from LoZ.  My sources at the moment are these sites, and my (hazy) memories of playing Ocarina of Time.

Current thoughts:
~I want to have a single class be able to do each/any of the elements (Light/Forest/Shadow/Spirit/Fire/Water/Time), so I want some sort of modular groupings of abilities (like Ideals, or vestiges, or what have you; one for each element) that you can gain access to at different times.
~The access mechanic will be called "Awakening", however it actually works.
~I want something having to do with the Master Sword.
~I'm playing around with the idea of having magical abilities conveyed through a general list of invocations, and then having the elemental stuff tied to Spellshaping circles.  I'd love to have some sort of essentia-like mechanic built into Awakening, though I really have no idea how to tie it all together.

Help??

Homebrew Notebook
PbP Char Notebook

sirpercival

• Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 04:28:20 PM »
Re: Chaos Prc, I don't have much concrete on this, yet, I'm just kinda writing down my thoughts to organize them.

I love the 2E wild mage... the 3E one didn't really live up to what I had hoped.  There are also 2 "wild" prcs already, the WM and the Anarchic Initiate.  But what about something for a martial adept? Crusader could work, especially with the whole "randomly-granted maneuvers" idea.  That adds some wildness to it.  Could make it something like RKV or JPM, but working off of Wilder... Wild surge for maneuvers?

I dunno if that's too derivative...

Another possibility (since I've been in Ethos mode for a week now) is to make some sort of chaotic Ethos prc... I know there's a Chaos dragon, but a prc focusing on that is just True Devotee (Chaos).  So that won't work.  There also isn't another deity that's iconic enough to have its own prc... I mean maybe Io or Chronepsis, but they are nowhere near as iconic.  So I'm not sure what tactic to take with it if I go that route.

Other things that are Chaotic: Limbo & Slaad, but I've done two planar PrCs in a row for those contests, and should probably try something else. A lot of undead, but I'm guessing that the next contest is going to be Evil, so I don't want to get in a rut there, either.

Meh.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 04:50:21 PM by sirpercival »

Homebrew Notebook
PbP Char Notebook

Linklord231

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 05:24:29 PM »
I'm brainstorming a Sage base class, based on the Seven Sages (including Zelda) from LoZ.  My sources at the moment are these sites, and my (hazy) memories of playing Ocarina of Time.

Current thoughts:
~I want to have a single class be able to do each/any of the elements (Light/Forest/Shadow/Spirit/Fire/Water/Time), so I want some sort of modular groupings of abilities (like Ideals, or vestiges, or what have you; one for each element) that you can gain access to at different times.
~I'm playing around with the idea of having magical abilities conveyed through a general list of invocations, and then having the elemental stuff tied to Spellshaping circles.  I'd love to have some sort of essentia-like mechanic built into Awakening, though I really have no idea how to tie it all together.

Help??

My first thought would be a Spellshaping class.  Use Brilliant Dawn/Natural Balance/(Devouring Shadow or Glimmering Moon)/Astral Essence/Searing Flame/Roaring Tide/Eternal Moment as the Circles you have access to.  DCs and such would be Wis based (obviously).  In my head, a Sage is someone with knowledge of lots of different things, so maybe have a relatively large amount of Formulae Known (also helps so that you don't have to focus on one or two Circles in order to meet higher level prereqs).  Balance it by having relatively few Formulae Prepared at any given time. 
For the Master Sword - themed ability, you could have them designate one weapon at a time to be a "Master Weapon", which would get scaling bonuses similar to those cleric/paladin spells that turn normal swords into +5 Holy Flaming Burst weapons.  The weapon need not be wielded by the Sage herself, since in the game I don't think the Sages ever actually used the Master Sword.
I think you should have a mechanic called Seals, which would be debuffs that inflict penalties when a target takes certain actions.  For example, the Seal of Shadow might inflict a miss chance, the Seal of Time would slow enemies, or the Seal of Fire would inflict damage when the enemy attacks.  Seals are permanent, but you can only have one of each type in effect at a time.  Master Weapons have bonuses vs enemies effected by your Seals.
Awakening would be how you specialize in certain elements, and would be your Essentia-like ablility.  You get X Awakenings that you can invest to increase the DCs of Formulae from certain schools or pump up the effects of certain Seals.  Awakening your relationship to Fire would give +1 DC to Searing Flame and increase the damage done by your Seal of Fire by 1d6 per Awakening. 

Concerned Ninja Citizen

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 07:13:36 PM »
The problem I was having was for the Martial Eras & "Feats" (aka Styles which is what I'm renaming them to).  The original class had you gain them every 1st + 2nd and 3 levels (so 8 total); however, that meant you'd have trouble attuning to 3 eras at once, and 4 was impossible (the minimum number of "feats" you would need was 10).

My solution was to give out the Styles with the Eras that required them.  However, there were 3 required Styles that didn't exist, and 9 that weren't associated with an Era and therefore would never be given out.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to fix this?  The most direct fix is to write the required-but-missing Styles (which I'm probably going to have to do anyway) and then make up some new Eras to cover the 9 unused ones... however, that's a lot of material that I'm adding.

Simplest thing I can think of is to do both. Have the eras give out the styles they're associated with and also let the Historian pick a number of styles, which would presumably be ones not granted by the era they attuned that day.

Cons: It's not an elegant solution
It dilutes the focus on eras
It boosts the power level of the martial Historian somewhat

Pros: you don't have to write any new styles or eras
It lets the player create combos between styles attuned to different eras without having to wait for double attunement

sirpercival

• Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 08:33:01 PM »

Current thoughts:

Help??

My first thought would be a Spellshaping class.  Use Brilliant Dawn/Natural Balance/(Devouring Shadow or Glimmering Moon)/Astral Essence/Searing Flame/Roaring Tide/Eternal Moment as the Circles you have access to.  DCs and such would be Wis based (obviously).  In my head, a Sage is someone with knowledge of lots of different things, so maybe have a relatively large amount of Formulae Known (also helps so that you don't have to focus on one or two Circles in order to meet higher level prereqs).  Balance it by having relatively few Formulae Prepared at any given time. 
This was kind of what I was thinking... but rather than having you do a normal Formulae Known thing, I was thinking that you'd Awaken (i.e., attune to) one circle at the beginning of the day, and just know all the formulae of the appropriate level for that circle.  That would represent the fact that each Sage was specialized at any given time (so you don't have cross-discipline and therefore cross-element stuff), and the Awakening would have to do with the fact that the Sages are just normal folks until Link manages to Awaken them.
For the Master Sword - themed ability, you could have them designate one weapon at a time to be a "Master Weapon", which would get scaling bonuses similar to those cleric/paladin spells that turn normal swords into +5 Holy Flaming Burst weapons.  The weapon need not be wielded by the Sage herself, since in the game I don't think the Sages ever actually used the Master Sword.
Yeah, this was my first inclination.  The only problem with it is that the idea of having one of your main class feature chains be to make something for someone else to use seemed kinda weird to me.  Though I guess artificers kinda do that all the time... I dunno.  I'll think about this.
I think you should have a mechanic called Seals, which would be debuffs that inflict penalties when a target takes certain actions.  For example, the Seal of Shadow might inflict a miss chance, the Seal of Time would slow enemies, or the Seal of Fire would inflict damage when the enemy attacks.  Seals are permanent, but you can only have one of each type in effect at a time.  Master Weapons have bonuses vs enemies effected by your Seals.
Ooh, I like this.  Definitely.
Awakening would be how you specialize in certain elements, and would be your Essentia-like ablility.  You get X Awakenings that you can invest to increase the DCs of Formulae from certain schools or pump up the effects of certain Seals.  Awakening your relationship to Fire would give +1 DC to Searing Flame and increase the damage done by your Seal of Fire by 1d6 per Awakening.
See above for how I want to do Awakening.  I think the essentia-like mechanic might be done using different things like the Numena or Incantations and stuff like that.... or possibly it could be related to the recovery mechanism?

Simplest thing I can think of is to do both. Have the eras give out the styles they're associated with and also let the Historian pick a number of styles, which would presumably be ones not granted by the era they attuned that day.

Cons: It's not an elegant solution
It dilutes the focus on eras

Pros: you don't have to write any new styles or eras
It lets the player create combos between styles attuned to different eras without having to wait for double attunement

Well, I'd still have to write 3 styles, since there are 3 from prereqs that don't exist.

Thanks to the Martial Fusillades, I'm not worried about the power level of the Martial Historian, I think it should be able to keep up (not in versatility, but whatevs).

At the moment I'm inclined to also just write 3-4 more eras, to fill out the list, and then hand them out with their respective eras.  The eras are the more interesting part.

Homebrew Notebook
PbP Char Notebook

Concerned Ninja Citizen

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 09:08:02 PM »
Yeah, this was my first inclination.  The only problem with it is that the idea of having one of your main class feature chains be to make something for someone else to use seemed kinda weird to me.  Though I guess artificers kinda do that all the time... I dunno.  I'll think about this.

Since the Sage/Hero connection is a significant element in the games, maybe the Sage class could have a series of "Hero" or "Champion" class features, including the Master Sword, which would focus on buffing a specific other individual.

The question then is whether the Hero/Champion would need to be another PC or if the feature would be a Leadership type thing. Making it another PC would be more flavorful but would require anyone playing the class to find another player amenable to a shared backstory and such.

Well, I'd still have to write 3 styles, since there are 3 from prereqs that don't exist.

Thanks to the Martial Fusillades, I'm not worried about the power level of the Martial Historian, I think it should be able to keep up (not in versatility, but whatevs).

At the moment I'm inclined to also just write 3-4 more eras, to fill out the list, and then hand them out with their respective eras.  The eras are the more interesting part.

You could just remove those prerequistes (unless that would create an era with no styles but you could remove that era) as a path of least effort method.

If you've got the time and enegy, though, writing new eras would be better. If you wouldn't mind, I could look over the orphan styles and see if any era ideas jump out at me.

Power wise, I think you're right. The fusillade system seems cool and powerful (do you forsee any issues with porting that?) My kneejerk reaction tends to be to buff the noncaster in any given situation.

sirpercival

• Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 09:12:02 PM »

Since the Sage/Hero connection is a significant element in the games, maybe the Sage class could have a series of "Hero" or "Champion" class features, including the Master Sword, which would focus on buffing a specific other individual.

The question then is whether the Hero/Champion would need to be another PC or if the feature would be a Leadership type thing. Making it another PC would be more flavorful but would require anyone playing the class to find another player amenable to a shared backstory and such.
Well, I have the Hylian Warrior class... I'll have to think about this.

You could just remove those prerequistes (unless that would create an era with no styles but you could remove that era) as a path of least effort method.

If you've got the time and enegy, though, writing new eras would be better. If you wouldn't mind, I could look over the orphan styles and see if any era ideas jump out at me.

Power wise, I think you're right. The fusillade system seems cool and powerful (do you forsee any issues with porting that?) My kneejerk reaction tends to be to buff the noncaster in any given situation.
Yeah, that would be awesome.

Homebrew Notebook
PbP Char Notebook

Concerned Ninja Citizen

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 11:13:00 PM »
Here's a stab at an Era using two of the orphan styles.

Champion's Zeal: The mighty Champion is a figure who strode across countless ancient battlefields. Many ancient cultures conducted warfare not through clashes of armies but by duels between their elite champions, the rest of the battle reduced to a backdrop for the chosen pair. These duels were a stirring spectacle but they fell by the wayside as armies became more organized and war became more science than art.
          Restrictions: None
          Styles: Vengance Duel, Trophy Collector
          Knowledge Check: History DC 18
          Effect 1: A fighter who tried to flee rather than duel a champion found his efforts futile. The Historian gains +10/3 levels     (minimum +10) to all movement speeds and ignores difficult terrain while moving towards the target of Vengance Duel.
          Effect 2: A victorious champion could often use the impact of the first battle to win the next. If the Historian spends a move action taking a trophy from a downed foe on whom he used Vengance Duel, the range of Trophy Collector increases to 10 ft and the bonuses granted by the next use of Vengance Duel double.
          Penalty: Focused on a single enemy, the Historian ignores those who might attack from an unexpect direction. Flanking opponents treat the Historian as flat footed.

EDIT: Here's another one

Song of War: The Tintangula were a loquacious people in peace or in war. Their battles rang with the sounds of their chants, cries, and entreaties even over the clash of weapons.
   Restrictions:
   Styles: Joyous Chant, Warrior's Prayer
   Knowledge Check: History DC 26
   Effect 1: The battle chants of the Tintangula drove their warriors to great feats in battle. The    
              Historian's Joyous Chant has the effect of Inspire Courage activated by a Bard of the Historian's level. The morale bonus from  this effect stacks with the morale bonus from Joyous Chant.
   Effect 2: When the battle turned against them, Tintangula armies would cry out to their gods with
one voice. If the Historian casts a spell using Warrior's Prayer that targets a single creature while sustaining a Joyous Chant, he may grant the benefits of that spell to all allies chanting with him.
   Penalty: The Tintangula valued communication in battle to such a degree they found it difficult to fight those with whom they could not speak. The Historian gets -2 to attack against an enemy who cannot understand him.

This one feels like it should have a restriction but I'm not sure what.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 01:41:22 AM by Concerned Ninja Citizen »

Linklord231

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 01:04:58 AM »
Hmm I definitely like your idea for how to access Circles better.  Awakening lets you choose one of the Seven Circles to have access to, and the Circles you're Awakened in count as both your Formulae Known and Formulae Prepared. 

What level do you think the Sages in the games were?  Does creating that bridge to get in to Gannon's castle represent the pinnacle of Sagacity, or was that the result of several low-level Sages pooling their power?  If the latter, then you can do things like Double or even Triple Awakening, to gain access several Circles at once. 

For recovery method, what about a full-round action to re-Awaken?  You have enough maneuvers to not run out in the middle of combat (an entire Circle ranges from 3 at level 1 to 21 at level 17, more or less on par with the other Spellshapers), and can essentially change your Formulae Known at will.  Admittedly, you have relatively few Formulae Readied at low levels - the same number as a Spellshape Champion, but (presumably) without the Full BAB to do interesting things with when you run out.  But I guess low level Wizards have that problem too. 

sirpercival

• Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2013, 12:40:45 PM »
Hmm I definitely like your idea for how to access Circles better.  Awakening lets you choose one of the Seven Circles to have access to, and the Circles you're Awakened in count as both your Formulae Known and Formulae Prepared. 

What level do you think the Sages in the games were?  Does creating that bridge to get in to Gannon's castle represent the pinnacle of Sagacity, or was that the result of several low-level Sages pooling their power?  If the latter, then you can do things like Double or even Triple Awakening, to gain access several Circles at once. 

For recovery method, what about a full-round action to re-Awaken?  You have enough maneuvers to not run out in the middle of combat (an entire Circle ranges from 3 at level 1 to 21 at level 17, more or less on par with the other Spellshapers), and can essentially change your Formulae Known at will.  Admittedly, you have relatively few Formulae Readied at low levels - the same number as a Spellshape Champion, but (presumably) without the Full BAB to do interesting things with when you run out.  But I guess low level Wizards have that problem too.

Check it: Sage (WIP)

Homebrew Notebook
PbP Char Notebook

Concerned Ninja Citizen

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2013, 05:39:46 PM »
Sage looks awesome. Can't wait to see what you do with it in Oslecamo's spin off campaign.

Few things:

Awaken Element: Any Sage can choose to awaken any element on a given day, and can go for a different one the next day?

Exaltation/Spark, using two different names for the same resource could be confusing. I know little about LoZ so if there's a strong flavor reason it's probably fine.

You mention spending Spark to recover manuvers, does this get rid of the Spark for good (for the encounter anyway) or does it come back like allocated Exaltation?

Is there a limit to the Sage's Spark pool?

If you hit multiple creatures with a single spellshape attack (as with the "shape forumla" feat), do you get multiple spark?

sirpercival

• Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2013, 07:10:59 PM »
Sage looks awesome. Can't wait to see what you do with it in Oslecamo's spin off campaign.
:D

Few things:

Awaken Element: Any Sage can choose to awaken any element on a given day, and can go for a different one the next day?
Correct.  I didn't want to lock you into an element, because that's far more boring.  I like modular things, especially modular things that you can change up when you want.  Options, man! lol.

Exaltation/Spark, using two different names for the same resource could be confusing. I know little about LoZ so if there's a strong flavor reason it's probably fine.
There's no flavor related to it at all, it's entirely mechanical.  I wanted different names because they're different resources -- one is permanent, the other is transient.  Trying to deal with the permanent Stuff for readying maneuvers and the temporary Stuff for recovering them at the same time would be a wording nightmare -- how do I keep track of the Stuff you get from the spellshape attacks?  Is it "temporary Stuff" which goes away at the end of the encounter?  How is that different from just having a resource name?

You mention spending Spark to recover manuvers, does this get rid of the Spark for good (for the encounter anyway) or does it come back like allocated Exaltation?
Spark is used up permanently; you can get more; and it goes away at the end of the encounter.  Exaltation is a static amount which you can distribute (and redistribute) into 2 categories: buying abilities (maneuvers, numen, incantations), or buying Spark.

Is there a limit to the Sage's Spark pool?
Nope.  If it's an absurdly long battle and you don't recover any maneuvers, you could build up a lot... but it goes away at the end of the encounter, so there's no point.

If you hit multiple creatures with a single spellshape attack (as with the "shape forumla" feat), do you get multiple spark?
I would think so... though generally it's clearer because you make different attack rolls for each creature.  I'm also considering giving out 1 spark whenever you shape a formula, so that at later levels you can prepare more formula and not have to worry quite so much about buying Spark.  Thoughts?

Homebrew Notebook
PbP Char Notebook

sirpercival

• Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2013, 11:33:53 PM »
Sage is complete!

Homebrew Notebook
PbP Char Notebook