Author Topic: New Track: Sniper  (Read 5356 times)

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
New Track: Sniper
« on: March 15, 2012, 06:04:24 AM »
The sniper is based around making single, precise shots at long range. While they are still capable of dealing with close enemies, their motto remains the same: Make Every Shot Count.

1st Circle- Sniper's ShotEX: By spending a standard action to make a single ranged attack against a single target, the sniper can make a shot strike with devastating accuracy. A sniper's shot gains a +1 bonus to accuracy for every circle of sniper you possess, and 1d4 [Precision] damage per level.

2nd Circle- Long Range AccuracyEX:When using Sniper's Shot, the range penalties for firing outside of your weapons range are eliminated. 
                2a Cloaked position: If you remain immobile, you do not take the -5 penalty to stealth for taking an offensive action due to Sniper's shot, however you do not benefit from the +2 modifier for being immobile.

3rd Circle- Sniper's aimEX: When using Sniper's Shot, you add 2x your KOM to damage. This increased to 4xyour KOM at 11th level, and 6x your KOM at 16th level.

4th Circle- Make Every Shot CountEX Once per Encounter per level, If you hit with a Sniper's Shot, the target must make a fortitude save equal to (10+1/2 your level + KOM) or be [Dazed] for 1 round.

5th Circle- KnockbackEX: When you hit with Sniper's shot, you can cause the target to be [Blown Away] from you.
                                                         Snipers shot now deals 2d4[Precision] damage  per level

6th Circle- Unstoppable shotEX: Once per encounter, as a free action, you may declare your next  Sniper's Shot [Unstoppable]. An [Unstoppable] ability cannot be mitigated, reduced, or redirected.

7th Circle- Head shotEX: Once per encounter, you can declare you are taking a head shot. Your next attack will deal 10x your level in bonus damage. A successful Fortitude save (DC 10+1/2 level + KOM) halves the extra damage, and prevents the target from being reduces below 1hp. The target is [Battered] and [Bleeding], regardless if they make the save. This is a [Death] effect. You may not use head shot on an [Unstoppable] attack.

Explanation of my balance choices:
The standard action for 1 attack aspect was central to the character concept. However, as the levels go up, and everyone else is getting 4 or 5 attacks per round, your damage needs to scale faster for that one shot. The +1 accuracy per circle is comparable to barbarian's rage. The +1d4/level damage does start out a bit high, but my earlier attempts to make it scale were ending up overly complicated. But i have estimated that most damage tracks add in 25-30 extra damage by the end of the tracks. With 4 attacks, that is 100 potential damage. As it happens, 2d4 averages 5 damage, and 5x20 is 100, so 2d4 per level seems like a good estimate for end-game damage. However, that is clearly too high in the beginning when you aren't paying for extra attacks, hence the 1d4 at the beginning and the 2d4 bump in the middle.
I chose long range accuracy to function as it did because I wanted them to function at longer ranges than normal, but since there are already ways to do that(such as the Sniper feat),  I didn't want  to further extend it with stacking. The range penalty increase makes you better at long range, without exceeding any expectations on the max range you can fire at.
Snipers aim kicks in about when you would be getting the second shot. It is there to make up for the lost Weapon + KOM damage on other shots. 2xKOM is acting under the assumption that KOM and weapon damage are similar, as per weaponized. As it is, getting KOM higher than main weapon damage takes a while, so the weaponized feat is generally a downgrade until really endgame, so I consider it a conservative estimate.
Make Every Shot Count is to give an extra reward for doing this tactic, as opposed to something easier to synergize with. I floated around before deciding on what status to inflict. Monk did Stunned 1/encounter/2 levels, ans stunned is a very nasty condition. I decided that I liked the feel of staggered better, and touch of death was able to inflict it. However, since this is a 4th circle power with a weaker effect than the monk's 2nd circle power, I upped the uses to 1/encounter.
Knockback feels like it would be satisfying, and feels like a good companian for the damage bump.
Unstoppable shot feels like an appropriate thing for a sniper to do, though their higher base damage probably makes it less necessary.
Head shot was based on the monk's touch of death and the rangers A Crashing of Heaven abilities, but beefed up for 7th circle.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 09:56:15 AM by Mystify »
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

Tenno Seremel

• Shaman
  • Elite
  • Destiny is chain for the weak.
  • Typo Hammer Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: New Track: Sniper
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 06:39:08 AM »
The +2 accuracy per circle is worth approximately 2 damage, due to deadly aim.
I'm not sure about deadly aim (besides you already have bonus damage) but this makes investing in AC pointless…

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 07:13:53 AM »
The +2 accuracy per circle is worth approximately 2 damage, due to deadly aim.
I'm not sure about deadly aim (besides you already have bonus damage) but this makes investing in AC pointless…

Hmmm, that does scale up pretty drastically. I'll scale it back to 1/level, on par with rage.

gkathellar

• Tactician
  • Global Moderator
  • Ace
  • My right hand was thunder, and my left was stone
  • Scroll of Scribes RoC Staff Dungeon Delver Eye of Seeing Dev Team Art Aficionado Magic 8-Ball
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 08:57:54 AM »
Hm. Part of my worry here is that while you keep up in terms of damage, the track does very little else. Sure, you can hit from far away, and eventually inflict some pretty nice conditions, but especially for those first three circles, the track consists of "shoot the guy, do some damage." I guess it's pretty comparable to Smiting, in that respect, so maybe that's not a problem.
Seven is the Number of Legend.
This is my mod voice.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 09:12:00 AM »
Hm. Part of my worry here is that while you keep up in terms of damage, the track does very little else. Sure, you can hit from far away, and eventually inflict some pretty nice conditions, but especially for those first three circles, the track consists of "shoot the guy, do some damage." I guess it's pretty comparable to Smiting, in that respect, so maybe that's not a problem.
I think smiting is a good precedent that it can work. Also, the nice thing about tracks is that this is not the entire character. You have at least 2 other tracks to do other things with, and this leaves your move and swift actions free to do other things with.
However, if you have some ideas for other things this track could do, I'm open to suggestions.

gkathellar

• Tactician
  • Global Moderator
  • Ace
  • Scroll of Scribes RoC Staff Dungeon Delver Eye of Seeing Dev Team Art Aficionado Magic 8-Ball
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 09:20:55 AM »
Some stealth-based stuff, maybe? It is a sniper, after all.
This is my mod voice.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 09:35:22 AM »
Some stealth-based stuff, maybe? It is a sniper, after all.
Something like this?
Cloaked position: If you remain immobile, you do not take the -5 penalty to stealth for taking an offensive action due to Sniper's shot, however you do not benefit from the +2 modifier for being immobile.

gkathellar

• Tactician
  • Global Moderator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 09:41:04 AM »
Yeah, along those lines, though depending on what circle it's at, it could potentially afford to be better.
This is my mod voice.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 09:44:42 AM »
I think I'll add it to the second circle. It felt kinda weak by itself, considering you won't likely be outside of a sniper's range very often.

Tenno Seremel

• Shaman
  • Elite
  • Destiny is chain for the weak.
  • Typo Hammer Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 09:48:30 AM »
Head shot + Knockback + Unstoppable shot = on average +300 unstoppable damage 1/encounter.

Insta-kills any character with 8 HP/level even when buffed with Nature's Power unless CON is their KOM or KDM. Isn't that a little too good?

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 09:52:16 AM »
Yeah, it would make sense to use unstoppable with your headshot. I'll add a clause making them mutually exclusive.

Djtooth

• Rogue
  • Elite
  • Tourist wielding a Pez dispenser that holds kunai.
  • Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Eye of Seeing
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 11:28:15 AM »
Nice to see a track that actually gives snipers some love. Sure there's Rain of Arrows but that's more for the machine gunners.
Usually i would give an entire review about the track for changes but when i was writing it i noticed i wasn't really changing anything just giving compliments so ill just say this.

4th- You aren't going to run out of shots with 1/CL unless the encounter lasts 12 rounds, i would suggest giving it 1/Circle and possibly adding an option to gain 1/Circle concealment piercing bullets instead?

5th- I'm going to admit i love utility, so why not have an option that allows you to instead 1/circle have you bullet act as an [force] effect that pierces DR instead?

6th- [Unstoppable]... Move action to activate? I rather have the sniper give something up than just once one out of five free actions.

7th- I love this slay living in a bullet but all its missing is the "On a failed save the target cannot be dropped below 1 hp." Im all for killing targets outright but if they still need a chance to act in their round.

This is a very good track and i would love to see it in one of my groups campaigns, hopefully it will make it into one of the books because my party wont even take a peek at homebrew.
Also when i look at this track all i can imagine playing is a demo-man throwing bombs at extreme range, with the trap setting track to always keep the path to me very painful and annoying to tread.
Two dictionaries and a chicken were playing tag one day, they are joined by a tree and some marshmallows.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2012, 01:33:07 PM »
Nice to see a track that actually gives snipers some love. Sure there's Rain of Arrows but that's more for the machine gunners.
Usually i would give an entire review about the track for changes but when i was writing it i noticed i wasn't really changing anything just giving compliments so ill just say this.

4th- You aren't going to run out of shots with 1/CL unless the encounter lasts 12 rounds, i would suggest giving it 1/Circle and possibly adding an option to gain 1/Circle concealment piercing bullets instead?

5th- I'm going to admit i love utility, so why not have an option that allows you to instead 1/circle have you bullet act as an [force] effect that pierces DR instead?

6th- [Unstoppable]... Move action to activate? I rather have the sniper give something up than just once one out of five free actions.

7th- I love this slay living in a bullet but all its missing is the "On a failed save the target cannot be dropped below 1 hp." Im all for killing targets outright but if they still need a chance to act in their round.

This is a very good track and i would love to see it in one of my groups campaigns, hopefully it will make it into one of the books because my party wont even take a peek at homebrew.
Also when i look at this track all i can imagine playing is a demo-man throwing bombs at extreme range, with the trap setting track to always keep the path to me very painful and annoying to tread.

4th circle - the 1/level/encounter is the only thing making it better than a 2nd circle from monk. I wouldn't expect them to run out, its mainly there as a theoretical limit.

5th circle: What, getting all of your damage on one shot isn't enough DR mitigation for you? Or unstoppable?

6th circle: I guess it depends on the proper balance between an artifact and a 6th circle ability. Anyone know a good rule of thumb?

7th circle: Yeah, I guess the other abilities do have that clause. I'll add it in.

GreyMantle

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2012, 03:00:57 PM »
Your entire 2nd circle is kind of butts.

I'm not quite sure what Longrange Accuracy even does.

Does it let the Sniper target anything he can see by totally removing Range penalties (and, by extension, Ranges altogther)? I'm assuming not, but that seems like a semivalid interpretation.

I'm assuming that it essentially extends the range of your weapon by one category. But if this is the case, your wording is really wonky, and I'd advise cleaning it up.

I'm legitimately confused here.

Also, Cloaked Position is mildly weaksauce. And boring.

Potentially, you could insert some ability that lets the Sniper disarm dudes with a ranged weapon? That'd be cool, it wouldn't just be vertical advancement, and it would give the Sniper something to do if he's not trying to kill his target.

Finally, Snipers don't seem to play well with others, since most other Legend classes are about closerange combat, but that's more a problem inherent in the concept of a sniper, and not one you can reasonably be expected to solve.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2012, 07:40:23 PM »
Your entire 2nd circle is kind of butts.

I'm not quite sure what Longrange Accuracy even does.

Does it let the Sniper target anything he can see by totally removing Range penalties (and, by extension, Ranges altogther)? I'm assuming not, but that seems like a semivalid interpretation.

I'm assuming that it essentially extends the range of your weapon by one category. But if this is the case, your wording is really wonky, and I'd advise cleaning it up.

I'm legitimately confused here.

Also, Cloaked Position is mildly weaksauce. And boring.

Potentially, you could insert some ability that lets the Sniper disarm dudes with a ranged weapon? That'd be cool, it wouldn't just be vertical advancement, and it would give the Sniper something to do if he's not trying to kill his target.

Finally, Snipers don't seem to play well with others, since most other Legend classes are about closerange combat, but that's more a problem inherent in the concept of a sniper, and not one you can reasonably be expected to solve.
Long range:
 Normally, you can fire 1 range category higher than normal, but you take a -4 penalty to accuracy. The sniper does not take that penalty. Legend does not allow you to fire at more than 1 range category higher than normal.
Cloaked position is very useful. Typically, it would be very difficult to attack from hiding without revealing yourself. This would let you continue to peg enemies while they run around trying to figure out where you are hunkered down. If you can throw on a few range increments between you and them, even better. It also serves to passively encourage the sniper to be dex-based, so their stealth skill will be higher. As it is set up, everyone has an awareness defense, which is essentially an automatically trained wisdom based skill. So, you have a 50% chance of being spotted, lowered by the gap between your dex and their wisdom. a -5 penalty to stealth drastically loweers your chances of  remaining hidden to 25%, plus or minus the attribute gap.  Removing that penalty is very useful.

Ranged disarm would be fairly pathetic. Normally, you can use a move action to pick up their weapon yourself. When sniping, that won't be an option, so you will only force them to spend an extra move. Also, being unarmed is much less meaningful. Oh no, your base weapon damage drops to 1d4 instead of 2d6. You still have every other bonus, you aren't provoking AoO from attacking unarmed, you just have a very minor damage drop. If they are weaponized, it doesn't even do that. Legend is currently not built to let you take out enemies without hurting them. There is no way to deal nonlethal damage, no way to grapple, etc.

And there is nothing here that will prevent them from fighting alongside the party. Its more that they can function better at long range, not that they need to be there. I included that in the description of the class. If you can arrange to be at long range and providing sniping support, great. If you are in the thick of things, you are still fine. I'm not requiring them to lay prone and be immobile in the middle of a skirmish.