Author Topic: Track: Familiar Bearer  (Read 4037 times)

Kitsune_Kinomi

• Ranger
  • Elite
  • I love foxes, can you tell?
  • Eye of Seeing Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Track: Familiar Bearer
« on: January 27, 2013, 08:59:00 AM »
Hello every one!!! Well I kinda disappeared over the winter break ^^; it was a combination of not being around my party, and watching a tone of anime, but meh. So any ways over the break I watched an anime called Shugo Chara and in it they have these awesome little characters that are essentially familiars for the main cast. Which got me thinking that maybe Legend could use some kinda of Familiar thing (I'm aware of Summon Mote) and since I have no experience with legendary abilities I thought I would just try and make this track instead ;P (Not most of the abilities in this track are more from my memory of 3.5 familiars rather then Shugo Chara)

Also quick note, I know that 1.0 has a release candidate, I've actually not read it yet ^^; (well I read parts of it). So in other words this track isn't up to 1.0 snuff quiet yet, but that doesn't mean don't give suggestions. I am going to take time this week and read the 1.0 release candidate and start bringing some of my older home brew up to date as well. Oh, and one final note, I am pretty sure this track is UP so any constructive ideas in regards to making this a little more useful would be appreciated.

Familiar Bearer

Circle 1
Summon FamiliarSU: The miracle is a marvelous thing. Though this can come about in may different ways, it is no less life-altering. You can summon a creature to assist you in a veriaty of ways. This creatue is of [Tiny] size and it's form, personality, and talents are desighned by it's master. Unlike most [Tiny] beings it's movement speed is slightly fast then others, it shares the same movement speed as it's master. Additionally this creature may either gain flying or burrowing as an additional movment mode. Well this creature is with in [Close] range you gain a +2 untyped bonus to one save, you may choose to alter which save it applies to at the bigining of each [Scene]. This familiar is in many ways just an extension of ones self, so most of this creatures stat, unless other wise explicitly stated, are the same as it's masters.

Circle 2
Close BondSU: You and your companion hace grown closer over time. It is becoming clearer that this little fellow is more an extension of your soul/pyche then you would have at first guessed. You gain the ability to communicate telepathically with your familiar this communication works like the World Mind spell. You additionally gain a Fury Bonus to your health equal to your level when your Familiar is within [Close] Range.

Circle 3
Strong IntuitionSU: Your companion seems to more on the ball then he was before, sensing things for you before you ever thought you could. You gain a +2 Untyped Bonus to all perception checks. Additionally, your Familiar gains [Ghostwise Sight] out to 40ft.

Circle 4
See Through My EyesSU: The connection between you and your companion manifests itself in strange ways. If your familiar is within your [Extream] Range, you may choose to forgo your own sensory input for that of your familiar's the allows you to use perseption checks from the possition of the famliar. Additionally, if your familiar is within your [Medium] Range, you may choose to activate any Spell or Spell-Like Ability from the familiar's position instead of your own.

Circle 5
Combat ReadySU: Having seen many battles in his time, your companion is finally ready to help out in his own way. You familiar becomes of small size (though this doesn't reflect a athetic change inhariently). Your familiars Health is equal to one half of your own. Your companion gains a single weapon, the model and properties of which are defined by the master; this weapon may not be enchanted by any means.

Circle 6
Subversion SlipSU: Your compainion has thought up some new, more interesting tricks. As a standard action, your familiar may become [Invisible] for as long as he desires. Additionally, as a move action twice per [Scene], your familiar may teleport you to his location.

Circle 7
One MindSU: You and your companion have forged through many trials to arrive where you are now. You have fought side-by-side and grown to depend on each other. This bond has paid off in ways one might not expect. By negating the effects of Combat Ready you may gain a number of bonuses, all of which are Fury Bonuses, but do stack with other benefits of this track: +5 to AC, +5 to Attack rolls, +4 to all saves, +5 to Damage. Additionally you gain 30 points of [Damage Reduction] and [Resistance] to all elements. These effects last for three [Rounds] and can be activated twice per [Scene].
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 10:03:40 PM by Kitsune_Kinomi »
"The mark of a immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one. "
~ Wilhelm Stekel

"I thought I'd pretend I was one of those blind deaf-mutes."
~ Catcher in the Rye, J. D. Salinger

"The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power."
~ Julius Cesar, William Shakespeare

My Moonshine

Kitsune_Kinomi

• Ranger
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Track: Familiar Bearer
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 09:00:03 AM »
Revision Log
- Rewrote C1, C5, and C7 for clerity.
- Added burrowing as a movment choice in C1.
- Untyped skill bonues
- added Damage and elemental resistance to c7
- Removed 'either or' resitriction of c7
- set Familiars stats to be the same as the masters, except at half health.
- Removed turn cap for [Invisibility] on c6
- posted all the original version of the track

Running To Do List
- Clarify wording... Alot.
- figure out mechanical ramification of 5th circle.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 10:07:44 PM by Kitsune_Kinomi »
"The mark of a immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one. "
~ Wilhelm Stekel

My Moonshine

Greenish

• Elite
  • Eye of Seeing
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 09:57:11 AM »
Hmm. First off, the companion's movement speed seems too slow to keep up, especially since it doesn't scale (or does it get the base scaling?). Is there any particular reason it doesn't share the character's movement speed (which would allow it by default to keep up)?

Is the companion an actual creature? If so, it'll need more stats than just HP, AC, and saves. What Awareness does it have (since it gains Ghostwise Sight at 3rd circle, it's probably intended to have a score). Does it have skills? What about offensive stats before 5th circle (since if it's a creature, it will have Unarmed Strike that it can attack with by default)? Can it use combat maneuvers (after or before 5th circle), and if so, at what DC? How much damage do it's attacks do anyway?

It's tricky to gauge the effectiveness of this track, since while most of the circles are pretty poor, it seems to give you a second set of actions, which has huge potential.

The 7th circle is obviously crap, though.
Legend characters:

Samael Krane, chain-smoking demon paladin.

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
  • Ballot Box Eye of Seeing Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 01:07:56 PM »
@Kitsune: It's good to see a familiar track in Legend, b/c it hasn't felt like you could do a 3.5 wizard very well w/o a track like this.

Hmm. First off, the companion's movement speed seems too slow to keep up, especially since it doesn't scale (or does it get the base scaling?). Is there any particular reason it doesn't share the character's movement speed (which would allow it by default to keep up)?
Aside from updating it to 1.0, I believe a familiar could cling on their master's person if their master is going to be highly mobile (just using logic, b/c I don't think 3.5 ever specified that either).

I believe he asked for constructive idea, which that is not.
"Trifles go to make perfection, and perfection is no trifle."
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

My friend just shared this: "Remember that time Gandalf convinced the whole party to flee so that he could take out the Balrog and not have to share any of the XP? Shows up the next session with fancy new robes and everything. What a jerk."

Kitsune_Kinomi

• Ranger
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 01:21:07 PM »
Sweet Action! Thanks for helping out.

The only reason that I put it that way because they are small (well as of 1.0 tiny technically) and on average Small creatures get 25ft from my understnading. Because I very much doubt that people are atully tracking moving ment out side of combat it can be said that they for the most part are hanging on to your or some thing to that effect. In combat they mostly are just trying to stay out of the way so I don't think it's going to be a big deal that they are a little slower then you as I would assume they would mostly just be trying to stay in your range with out being too much in the way.
I do recognize this is a problem, however I don't think that it's going to cause too much of an issue, however I will keep it in mind when I make a revision to the track, so thank you.

Is the companion an actual creature? If so, it'll need more stats than just HP, AC, and saves. What Awareness does it have (since it gains Ghostwise Sight at 3rd circle, it's probably intended to have a score). Does it have skills? What about offensive stats before 5th circle (since if it's a creature, it will have Unarmed Strike that it can attack with by default)? Can it use combat maneuvers (after or before 5th circle), and if so, at what DC? How much damage do it's attacks do anyway?
This is ment to model a number of different things, so it's generic. If you were having a cat follow you around, yes it would need it's own stat block, however this is suppose to be a little different from that, they are a magical compainion that isn't really suppose to attribute directly to combat (until fifth circle) So they do not get their own stat block because they wouldn't be using most of it. I tried to provide the states that would be useful, and ya I might need to include a few more cause I wasn't thinking about these thing actully making skill checks of their own, but that's why I submitted it to you guys so I can find out these problems with it.
As for after fifth circl I believe I clerified that it gains a non magical weapon that you creat (so it could have a sword a bow or what ever) but since it's not enchanted it would be the basic stats.

It's tricky to gauge the effectiveness of this track, since while most of the circles are pretty poor, it seems to give you a second set of actions, which has huge potential.
You don't tenically gain a second set of actions at any point. The track is massivily UP and I admit that, that's why I want some constructive input to make it better.

The 7th circle is UP, and I know that, but adding passives was never really my strong suit. I would like to know what passives would be a little more fitting though, do you have any ideas?
~ Wilhelm Stekel

My Moonshine

Greenish

• Elite
  • Eye of Seeing
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 01:42:00 PM »
I'd written some point-by-point replies (spoilered below), but as I thought about it, there are just two fundamental questions, from which most of my confusion springs:

1) Is the familiar a separate creature with it's own actions? The track suggest yes, designer comments suggest no.

2) What sort of characters do you envision taking this track? Familiars are stereotypically a caster thing, but the bonuses seem slightly more appropriate for a bruiser.

Spoiler
The only reason that I put it that way because they are small (well as of 1.0 tiny technically)
Does it grow to be Small for 5th circle? If so, you should specify that.

and on average Small creatures get 25ft from my understnading. Because I very much doubt that people are atully tracking moving ment out side of combat it can be said that they for the most part are hanging on to your or some thing to that effect.
How does hanging on work? How are you supposed to use things like the 4th or the 6th circle if the familiar is in your square?

This is ment to model a number of different things, so it's generic. If you were having a cat follow you around, yes it would need it's own stat block, however this is suppose to be a little different from that, they are a magical compainion that isn't really suppose to attribute directly to combat (until fifth circle) So they do not get their own stat block because they wouldn't be using most of it.
So is it a creature or not? And what's the point of having a special vision mode if you don't have an awareness score to go with it?

As for after fifth circl I believe I clerified that it gains a non magical weapon that you creat (so it could have a sword a bow or what ever) but since it's not enchanted it would be the basic stats.
Yes, but what are the KOM and Str scores of the familiar (since those get added to the damage)?

You don't tenically gain a second set of actions at any point.
How does the familiar move, then? How can it attack if it doesn't have actions?

The 7th circle is UP, and I know that, but adding passives was never really my strong suit. I would like to know what passives would be a little more fitting though, do you have any ideas?
First thing to fix would be allowing it to work with the rest of the track.
As a side note, I don't think fury bonuses to skills are a thing. Most track-granted skill bonuses are either untyped or item bonuses.
Legend characters:

Kitsune_Kinomi

• Ranger
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 03:55:30 PM »
1) Is the familiar a separate creature with it's own actions? The track suggest yes, designer comments suggest no.
Ok. I know that part is confusing because yes it is it's own entaty, but because it doesn't have the abbility to do very much I had orginally indended that this would no receive it's own actions.
Ultimatly this is going to be a tiny creature (as defined in the 1.0 candidate) and so I will try to make the wording much clearer later this date hopfully.

2) What sort of characters do you envision taking this track? Familiars are stereotypically a caster thing, but the bonuses seem slightly more appropriate for a bruiser.
I would like for either one to take it, the bonuses are better for a bruser, but it does have some applications for a wizard as well (though a little more abstract). The under laying idea behind the track was "Small companion who give you bonuses well you are with in range" So yes it happens to help brusers a little bit more ^^; Part of that is because the orginal consept I was using for insperation for this class isn't a sterio typical wizard and is a bruser... of sorts... I guess.

Spoiler
Does it grow to be Small for 5th circle? If so, you should specify that.
Long answer: Right now it starts out as small as the track was being desinged on the BETA rules, I only talk about it being tiny cause that is the first change I am making (I'm going to update the whole thing later this week when I'm not as busy with home work). But I am still thinking about weather or not I want to give it an attack action cause right now 5th circle is suppose to be more a bonus attack from some other place (granted at significate loss due to bonus attacks getting out of hand from my recolection)
Short Answer: I don't know yet, but I will specify.

How does hanging on work? How are you supposed to use things like the 4th or the 6th circle if the familiar is in your square?
Hanging on was a narative expination for why i doesn't slow you down out side of combat. Inside of combat I'm still mulling over the idea of upping the movement range of it.
No the idea for 4th and 6th is mostly for using when the two of your are seperated.

So is it a creature or not? And what's the point of having a special vision mode if you don't have an awareness score to go with it?
The abbility to see invisible things comes to mind. I don't beilve that you have to roll a awarness check to see every thing.

Yes, but what are the KOM and Str scores of the familiar (since those get added to the damage)?
I thought I had said that KOM was the same as yours and STR is a 1.0 thing and thus this track hasn't been updated for that quiet yet.

How does the familiar move, then? How can it attack if it doesn't have actions?
It can fly or walk, like most other things with with those movment modes. And I said it gains one attack action at 5th circle.

First thing to fix would be allowing it to work with the rest of the track.
[\quote]
Ok I'm goign to look through doing that however a lot of the abbilities that you get through out wouldn't apply however. So maybe some ideas on how to make the idea stronger rather then changing the idea.
[\spoiler]

As a side note, I don't think fury bonuses to skills are a thing. Most track-granted skill bonuses are either untyped or item bonuses.
I'm use to if I don;t know what it is and I don't want it to be be untyped calling it [Fury Bonus] because it seems like that's what happens a lot times. However I can understand why that would be, when I' done reading 1.0 I might look into changing that.

Running To Do List
- Set size chatagory to tiny
- Lay out character sat block more clearly
- increase boosts to c7
All right aside from the above things, on my to do list, is there any other things you thing need some tweaking.
~ Wilhelm Stekel

My Moonshine

Greenish

• Elite
  • Eye of Seeing
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 04:33:07 PM »
The abbility to see invisible things comes to mind. I don't beilve that you have to roll a awarness check to see every thing.
You'll want to check the new rules for vision and invisibility (hint: yes, you do need an awareness score).

I thought I had said that KOM was the same as yours and STR is a 1.0 thing and thus this track hasn't been updated for that quiet yet.
You said that it uses the owners attack bonus.

It can fly or walk, like most other things with with those movment modes. And I said it gains one attack action at 5th circle.
So it has move actions? And "attack action" is a specific term in the rules that you probably don't want to use here (since it refers to what in D&D 3.5 was "full attack").

Ok I'm goign to look through doing that however a lot of the abbilities that you get through out wouldn't apply however.
What?

So maybe some ideas on how to make the idea stronger rather then changing the idea.
Well, if it stops all the other circles from working, it has to be as strong (or stronger) than the rest of the entire track. Maybe [Immunity] to HP damage and a bunch of conditions would be a decent start, though the three round duration means it might swing too much into the other direction. Then again, it almost has to be overpowered to be worth using, given the opportunity cost.

I'm use to if I don;t know what it is and I don't want it to be be untyped calling it [Fury Bonus] because it seems like that's what happens a lot times. However I can understand why that would be, when I' done reading 1.0 I might look into changing that.
The point of the bonus types is to prevent things that shouldn't stack from stacking. Given that nothing else gives fury bonuses to skills, I don't see any reason why it can't be untyped.

- Set size chatagory to tiny
- Lay out character sat block more clearly
- increase boosts to c7
[/spoiler]
All right aside from the above things, on my to do list, is there any other things you thing need some tweaking.
I like the 6th circle, though given how high level it is, the Invisibility might as well be permanent. You could also clarify whose actions are being used (yours or the familiar's) to activate the abilities.
Legend characters:

Kitsune_Kinomi

• Ranger
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 04:47:21 PM »
You'll want to check the new rules for vision and invisibility (hint: yes, you do need an awareness score).
All right thank you for the heads up :3

So it has move actions? And "attack action" is a specific term in the rules that you probably don't want to use here (since it refers to what in D&D 3.5 was "full attack").
I am just gunna modle the whole thing after a tiny creature to prevent all confusion. It will still share most stats with it's master for the sake of you not having to worry about so much book keeping. Does that sound good so it will have move, standard and quick just like normal... just wont do much with them I think.

So maybe some ideas on how to make the idea stronger rather then changing the idea.
Well, if it stops all the other circles from working, it has to be as strong (or stronger) than the rest of the entire track. Maybe [Immunity] to HP damage and a bunch of conditions would be a decent start, though the three round duration means it might swing too much into the other direction. Then again, it almost has to be overpowered to be worth using, given the opportunity cost.
All right that's at least a start I suppose.

The point of the bonus types is to prevent things that shouldn't stack from stacking. Given that nothing else gives fury bonuses to skills, I don't see any reason why it can't be untyped.
I agree, I was trying to say that I called it [Fury] on the off chance that some thing did stack like that, so I'll just untype it later

All right added your suggestions and moved the list my version log post.
~ Wilhelm Stekel

My Moonshine

Greenish

• Elite
  • Eye of Seeing
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2013, 09:56:55 PM »
Legend characters:

Kitsune_Kinomi

• Ranger
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2013, 10:35:23 PM »

Alot appreciates your efforts.
I can't see the destination of the link.
I'm not sure what exactly what you meant by it either.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 10:52:53 PM by Kitsune_Kinomi »
~ Wilhelm Stekel

My Moonshine

Geigan

• Team Awesome
  • Elite
  • Typo Hammer Dev Team Magic 8-Ball Ballot Box Eye of Seeing Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2013, 11:08:01 PM »
Awww, that thing doesn't make any sense without the link for context. It was just a reference to a funny complaint about typos, don't worry.

Kitsune_Kinomi

• Ranger
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2013, 11:24:31 PM »
I figured as much ^^; I just wasn't sure ._.
I guess my post seemed really defensive, sorry ><
~ Wilhelm Stekel

My Moonshine

Kitsune_Kinomi

• Ranger
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2013, 10:09:08 PM »
Any ways, I've updated the track.
I hope it's a little bit more clear now then it was before. I changed my mind on a few things to make it a little bit more manageable but I hope that doesn't make it too strong ._.
~ Wilhelm Stekel

My Moonshine

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
  • Ballot Box Eye of Seeing Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2013, 03:16:50 PM »
It's a lot more clear, though you still don't specify how it behaves as a creature once [Small], like how many attacks it gets (or whether it pulls from your attack pool) and such.

I like the revision to C7.
"Trifles go to make perfection, and perfection is no trifle."
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

My friend just shared this: "Remember that time Gandalf convinced the whole party to flee so that he could take out the Balrog and not have to share any of the XP? Shows up the next session with fancy new robes and everything. What a jerk."