Author Topic: New Undead Races  (Read 2936 times)

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
  • Ballot Box Eye of Seeing Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
New Undead Races
« on: January 31, 2013, 03:23:54 PM »
I don't think I'll come up w/ any more than these 2, but I'll post them here if I do. The tracks are in the next post.

Ghost Race
Since ghosts aren't represented among the various types of undead, I decided to try my hand at them.

Undead: Ghost Race
Ability Adjustments
   +2 to Dex
   +2 to Wis
   -2 to Con
Size: Medium
Traits
   +1 to AC
Bonus Feat List
   By Will Sustained
   Funeral Dirge
   Shadow Blink

Ghosts are souls detached from their former bodies, generally through death. Most disembodied souls depart for the afterlife, but ghosts have remained on the material plane for some reason. By absorbing life energy from the faint aura that living things unconsciously emanate, ghosts can manifest a physical form.
A ghost’s Key Offensive Modifier is Wisdom, and its Key Defensive Modifier is Dexterity.

Feat: Funeral Dirge [Racial]
You can absorb the burst of ethereal/astral energy released upon someone's death.
Prerequisite: Ghost race
Benefit: When a creature within [Medium] range dies, you gain 1 point of temporary HP per 2 character levels for each circle of the Ghost track you possess.
Dullahan Race
Thought possessed suits of armor can sometimes be modeled w/ the Skeleton Champion, I felt a semi-reversal of it better in most cases.

Undead: Dullahan Race
Ability Adjustments
   +2 to Str, Dex, or Con
Size: Medium
Traits
   +1 to AC
Bonus Feat List
   By Will Sustained
   Dullahan King
   Any [Combat] feat

Though mythological dullahans are headless armored reventants, dullahans can be any kind of possessed suit of armor. Dullahans might once have been knights, swashbucklers, or kings. It is certain, however, that all lived for the heat of battle, and the magical forces that bind their armor together is most strengthened by the clash of steel on steel.
A dullahan’s Key Offensive Modifier is either Dexterity or Intelligence, and its Key Defensive Modifier is Constitution.

Feat: Dullahan King [Racial]
In life, you were not merely a fighter, you were a warlord.
Prerequisite: Dullahan race
Benefit: Once per [Encounter] as a swift action, you can utter a cry of vengeance. For the next [Round], all enemies within [Close] range take 1 magic damage per level on every successful attack roll they make.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 04:01:49 PM by Yoder »
"Trifles go to make perfection, and perfection is no trifle."
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

My friend just shared this: "Remember that time Gandalf convinced the whole party to flee so that he could take out the Balrog and not have to share any of the XP? Shows up the next session with fancy new robes and everything. What a jerk."

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Undead: Ghost
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 03:24:13 PM »
Ghost Track
Undead: Ghost Track
Anywhere you see ellipses, reference the text from the official Undead track.

1st Circle
ConsumptionSU: ...
   Ghost - Unsung Elegy: You draw strength from presence of others. If the creature closest to you is within [Close] range, you gain [Fast Healing] equal to your circles in this track.
   Additionally, due to being a spiritual entity, you have [Resistance] to physical damage, [Vulnerability] to magical damage, and +45 ft to your Ghostwise sight.

2nd Circle
Strength in DecayEX: ...
   Ghost - Spectral PresenceEX: The final remnants of your own residual life energy having been spent, your apparitional form now fully straddles the barrier between the material and the immaterial. You are [Invisible] to creatures beyond [Extreme] range (this one is mostly narrative, though it can be extremely useful), [Fully-Concealed] to creatures within [Extreme] range, and [Concealed] to creatures within [Long] range. This passive ability has no effect upon creatures within [Medium] range.
Old Version
   Ghost - Spectral PresenceEX: The final remnants of your own residual life energy having been spent, your apparitional form now fully straddles the barrier between the material and the immaterial. If the creature closest to you is either within [Extreme] range or beyond [Extreme] range, you are [Invisible]. If the creature closest to you is within [Long] range, you are [Fully-Concealed]. If the creature closest to you is within [Medium], [Close], or [Melee] range, this passive ability has no effect.

3rd Circle
The Flesh is StrongEX: ...

4th Circle
The Blight SpreadsSLA: ...
   Ghost - Spiritual OppressionSLA: Once per [Encounter] as a standard action, you can bombard a single opponent within [Medium] range with otherworldly power. The target starts [Bleeding] and must pass a Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 your level + your Key Offensive Modifier) or become [Energy-Drained] until the end of the [Encounter].
   Additionally, you have gained a new perspective in regards to your identity, allowing you to alter your size. As a swift, move, or standard action, you can shift 1 size category up or down (minimum of [Small], maximum of [Large]), both gaining the benefits and suffering the penalties associated with your new size category.

5th Circle
Necrotic AuraSU: ...

6th Circle
Contagion: ...
   Ghost - Phantom MenaceSU: You can choose to haunt someone, making their life a nightmare. Once per [Encounter] as a move or standard action while you have positive HP, you can begin haunting a target within [Close] range. By spending a move or standard action each turn thereafter, you can maintain this haunting while your target is within [Extreme] range. While haunted, a creature is continuously [fatigued] and [flat-footed]. If you are reduced to 0 HP or lower, you cease to haunt your target.

7th Circle
No RequiemSU: ...
Dullahan Track
Undead: Dullahan Track
Anywhere you see ellipses, reference the text from the official Undead track.

1st Circle
ConsumptionSU: ...
   Dullahan - Ill Will: You draw strength from the heat of battle. You gain one focus point every [Round] at the beginning of your turn.
   In addition, you may spend 3 focus points as a swift action during your turn to heal yourself an amount equal to your character level and cause all creatures that have successfully attacked you since the end of your last turn to take damage equal to your character level, provided they are within [Medium] range when you activate this ability.

2nd Circle
Strength in DecayEX: ...
   Dullahan - Clanking ArmorSU: You are willing and able to protect your friends. Whenever an ally within [Long] range is subjected to an offensive action, you may spend 4 focus points as a swift or immediate action to [Teleport] to that ally's position, shunting them to an available space within [Melee] range. The ally's shunting does not provoke attacks of opportunity. Since you are in the ally's previous location, you become the target of the offensive action, gaining a +2 bonus to either AC or Fortitude saves against that attack.

3rd Circle
The Flesh is StrongEX: ...

4th Circle
The Blight SpreadsSLA: ...
   Dullahan - Subversive DefenseSLA: Utilizing recollections of your past life (whether or not you consciously remember them), you are able to temporarily reclaim enough of your mortality to create a paradox. By spending 4 focus points as a swift or immediate action, an aura of black and white energies causes you to lose the Curse of Undeath extraordinary ability from your [Undead] creature type. This effect expires after being subjected to a [Positive] or [Negative] effect or at the end of the [Encounter], whichever comes first.
Old Version
   Dullahan - Dead as a DoornailSLA: You reap souls. By spending 1 focus point as a swift or immediate action, select a creature within [Medium] range that is at 0 or fewer hit points. You heal yourself an amount equal to that creature's remaining health and kill that creature.
   Additionally, by spending 3 focus points as a swift or immediate action, a resurrection effect affecting a dead creature within [Medium] range fails to resurrect its target.

5th Circle
Necrotic AuraSU: ...

6th Circle
Contagion: ...
   Skeleton Champion / Dullahan - Eternal WarriorEX: ...

7th Circle
No RequiemSU: ...
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 04:20:06 PM by Yoder »
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

My friend just shared this: "Remember that time Gandalf convinced the whole party to flee so that he could take out the Balrog and not have to share any of the XP? Shows up the next session with fancy new robes and everything. What a jerk."

Tim4488

• Elite
  • Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 07:49:39 PM »
I actually like this quite a bit. 1st Circle is a bit strong, but honestly I don't think it's overly so. The ability adjustments seem appropriate, feats look good... yeah. Overall, I'd say, nicely done. I'd be happy to use this as an option in my game.
"MY BLADE THIRSTS FOR MORE LEGEND." - Valixes

My homebrew.

Metool

• Rogue
  • Elite
  • You ever lose hope?
  • Eye of Seeing Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 05:14:19 AM »
Spectral Presence doesn't seem to actually do anything you can make that much use of, does it? It specifically conflicts with Unsung Elegy (which, by the way, is weak [Fast healing] at all levels, does it ever go beyond 1 per circle in the track?).

Additionally: Why specify that if you go below 0 HP you lose the ability to haunt? The track itself doesn't grant the ability to fight into the negatives...
"Honestly, I don't know if this non-core option is 1.0-ready"

No, it isn't. It may be updated at some point but it isn't 1.0-ready, which is why it isn't in 1.0. Anything that isn't in the 1.0 core rulebook should be treated as not being 1.0 compliant and used with caution if at all.

Draz

• Paladin
  • Elite
  • Typo Hammer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 05:07:00 PM »
How do you picture this interacting with the incorporeality Track that (rumor has it) will be in the Monster Guide?  Are they meant to be two different means of representing the same thing, or are they meant to be complimentary?

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 08:17:08 PM »
@Tim: Thanks, I'm glad you like it!

@Metool:
Spectral Presence can be quite useful (both mechanically and narratively), though I can see what you mean. The conflict w/ Unsung Elegy's Fast Healing was intentional, but not to the extent that RAW implies.
How about this rewrite of C2 that emphasizes a ghost's natural constant translucence instead of a ghost's fluctuating opacity as it draws in the life energy of creatures nearby:
C2
Ghost - Spectral PresenceEX: The final remnants of your own residual life energy having been spent, your apparitional form now fully straddles the barrier between the material and the immaterial. You are [Invisible] to creatures beyond [Extreme] range (this one is mostly narrative, though it can be extremely useful), [Fully-Concealed] to creatures within [Extreme] range, and [Concealed] to creatures within [Long] range. This passive ability has no effect upon creatures within [Medium] range.
Unsung Elegy's Fast Healing is supposed to be weaker since that Circle also extends your Ghostwise sight.

I'm not sure what you mean by your reference to 0 HP. All creatures can still fight while in the negatives and don't die until at -Constitution HP.

@Draz: I have no idea what tracks are planned to be in the monster manual, aside from what has been referenced on the forum a few times. Thus, this track may clash with that track if it exists. It'd be nice if they happened to mesh well, though.
The way I'd imagine it, if someone was able to take the Incorporeal track and this Ghost track w/o severe conflicts, it'd represent a "white sheet" ghost really well. Someone who took this track w/o the other track would be better to represent a malevolent spirit (more focus on being Undead).
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

Narsis

• Elite
  • Pirate Robot Ninja Dragon
  • Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 08:20:14 PM »

I'm not sure what you mean by your reference to 0 HP. All creatures can still fight while in the negatives and don't die until at -Constitution HP.

unless you are using one of the small handful of abilities, you can't take any actions under 0 HP.  you are [Unconscious].
Awesome Legend pally avatar by Prime32

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 08:25:21 PM »
Yup, and I was just specifying that even if the creature has a way to ignore the penalties of being under 0 HP, they still can't spare the energy to continue haunting. It's an edge case, so it doesn't matter all that much.
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: New Undead Races
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2013, 05:49:42 PM »
Inspiration strikes at the most random times... Such, I have added the Dullahan undead race and track to the first 2 posts, making it a general purpose undead thread. Given the Ghost and Dullahan are such minor changes, I didn't feel that Dullahan needed a separate thread for itself.

This track is good for many builds, since it is pretty action-light. It goes well w/ Sentient Construct, though the Immunites may overlap a bit. Allowing Int KOM gives Necromancers an effective and thematically-appropriate defensive option, even though they will likely use Clanking Armor only for the mobility it allows. It also combines well with the "+7 Item/Deflection bonus to AC" tracks.

I'm not sure on the Dexterity KOM option, so I may switch it to Strength.

I thought of an interesting combo: An enemy throws a large AoE that would kill an evil mage (read: boss) who has several Dullahan servants. By using Clanking Armor in tandem, they could continually shunt the necromancer until he is outside the effect (though this means that all the dullahans that did this would take the damage instead, an appropriate trade-off in that case).
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 11:25:27 AM »
Dullahan king is too strong. It is like the old retributive damage effects, only it doesn't even need to be against you. They cut the damage down from level/hit to level/round, since it ends up being a huge amount of damage the first way.

Dullahan's 1st circle is distinctly stronger than skeletal champions. It lacks the "combat actions happened" part of the clause, which serves to counteract various strategies involving being "in combat" while not actually fighting. The actual effect it grants seems pretty reasonable.

Clanking armor is interesting. However, as worded, your example with the AoE wouldn't work, as being attacked has a specific meaning in legend. It involves an attack roll, so an AoE, a targeted ability, etc, wouldn't trigger it. If you want those to apply, you should try "subjected to an offensive action" or something similar. There isn't existing wording for something like that, but it should work.

Dead as a doornail is weird. You target someone with 0 hp, then heal for their health? Are you trying to heal based on their remaining negative hp? This seems like a poorly designed ability. On a PC, its pointless. Its going to be an insignificant amount of healing, and nothing is going to be alive after the combat that PCs don't want to be alive. On a NPC, it is still poor healing, but it becomes a dick move to use, killing PCs who have dropped. Its hardly ever applicable, as the chance you actually land in the narrow window of [dying] is fairly low at this level, barely does anything, and consumes focus. You would be much better off grabbing a swift action effect to just deal damage, as that will kill them just as well, and you wouldn't have to burn a focus point for something so circumstantial.
The second half is useless when you get it, as resurrection effects won't show up for a while, and when they do they will be high circle effects. 3 focus points a round is not hard to pull off, and you could single handedly negate several 7th circle abilities. The closest thing to this in the system is knight, which has a 1/[Encounter] use limit, must have already spent their move action to [Steady] themselves, and its only applicable in [melee] range. Its also a higher circle effect.

My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2013, 04:19:43 PM »
I toned Dullahan King back to only 1 round. Since it only applies within [Close] range, it should be fine now.

I made C1 require a swift action. Is that sufficient or would limiting the range down to [Close] be a better alternative?

Ah, yes; I got my definitions mixed up. C2's wording has been changed.

I was iffy on C4. I liked the effects, but C4 was hard to do mechanically. So, I switched C4 to another ability (inspired by the Sonny RPG series). Since the new C4 reverses [Pos]/[Neg] instead of making both [Pos] and [Neg] heal, it discourages (though still allows) activating it ahead of time. Thoughts?
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew