• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
  • Ballot Box Eye of Seeing Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Genie
« on: February 10, 2013, 02:48:15 PM »
I like that 3.5 included genies, but I always felt that not enough was done with them. So, I decided to make genies for Legend, drawing inspiration from the original myths and throwing in a little flavor from the Magi anime. Since there's still plenty of room mechanically within the concept of "associated with an element", I designed the racial track to be distinct from yet useful for the Elementalist and the Elementals. I was also dying for something to actually have [Vulnerability] by default, and the trade-off for [Immunity] seems fair. Additionally, I've been wanting to play around with Environments, includig Onrush, for a while.

Also, before anybody asks, the word "ghoul" comes from the term for an earth genie. This is why Ghul are similar to Ghouls (not specifically the Legend variety) in some respects.

Genie Race
Ability Adjustments
   +2 to Str or Cha
Size: Medium
Traits
   [Outsider] type (does not age)
   [Immunity] to energy type corresponding to your sub-race
   [Vulnerability] to ...
      Djinni: [Acid]
      Efreeti: [Cold]
      Ghuli: [Electricity]
      Maridi: [Fire]
      Janni: [Positive] and [Negative] (to prevent undead shenanigans)
Bonus Feat List
   Any [Skill] Feat

Genies are beings naturally infused w/ magic, though not composed of it like Elementals. Whereas only powerful Elementals gain sentience, all genies possess sentience. Such, they tend to look down on Elementals as lesser beings. Though they live on the plane of mana (their home world) or the elemental planes, genies are similar to the mortal races in many regards. They are proud of their inherent connection with magic and thus generally prefer magic to technology. Due to their immense power and foreign ways of thinking, many mortals mistakenly see them as demonic. Some utilize illusory techniques, and ALL despise being confined. There are several sub-races of genie, distinguished by their affinity for a particular element (or lack thereof).

Djinni [Electricity]/Air
Djinn resemble what one typically thinks when imagining a genie. They think themselves the most powerful sub-race of genie, though this is not true. However, this delusion leads many to have a god complex. The djinn are the most common image of genie among mortals, because their deific attitude will often move them to condescend to and aid those whom they see as their pitifully finite subjects. From the mortal perspective, a supernatural being with power over lightning coming down from the clouds to demand subservience in exchange for assistance has a certain sway in encouraging worship of said being. Djinn maintain good relations with air elementals through diplomacy, though they still consider themselves better. Such, djinn make use of their loyal air elemental servants in seeing to the needs of their followers. Their skin, eye, and hair colors range from white to gray.

Efreeti [Fire]/Fire
More so than any other sub-race of genie, efreet are portrayed as evil due to their link with fire. Much to their dismay, they are also often mistaken for fire elementals. Efreet can't expect much pity though, considering they spend most of their time on the Elemental Plane of Fire enslaving fire elementals. Their domination of other races is but one example of how genie pride is perhaps most potent in the efreet. Thus, efreet can be hard to deal with socially. Their skin color ranges from orange to red, their eye color ranges from yellow to red, and their hair color ranges from brown to black.

Ghuli [Acid]/Earth
Nobody is quite sure if the ghul have an inferiority complex or are paranoid, but it is certain that they view inferior races with large populations as a threat. Thus, encounters between mortals and ghul rarely end well. Thankfully their fear of inferior races doesn't shroud their capacity for rational thought; they fully realize that traveling to the material plane en masse would anger many important entities and organizations vastly stronger than they are. Since earth elementals are also an inferior race, ghul will usually kill them on sight. Their skin and eye colors range from gray to black, and their hair color ranges the entire spectrum or intense hues (i.e.: bright red, yellow, green, cyan, blue, magenta, etc...).

Maridi [Cold]/Water
Marid are coy water genie. Their tricky nature and association with water earns them the ire of the straightforward efreet. They have been called sirens by some sailors, and rightly so. While djinn seek ego-boosting worship, efreet seek absolute dominance, and ghul seek superiority-affirming elimination; marid seek loaded deals. Due to the situations in which marid may place mortals, The terms of these agreements are rarely fair. Still, aside from genies being ageless, marid only see themselves as superior to mortals in intellect. The sheer numbers of mortals can be manipuated toward a maridi's ends rather nicely, and it allows those marid to attend to other matters. Unless they get in each others' way, marid and water elementals generally ignore each other. Their skin color ranges from cyan to blue, their eye color ranges from green to blue, and their hair color ranges from purple to black.

Janni [Force]/None
Jann are the most basic sub-race of genie. Their essence not being mingled w/ any element paradoxically makes them both more mundane and more arcane. The other genie sub-races feel that they aren't worthy of being called genie, but they tolerate their presence so long as the jann keep to themselves. Since they have no elemental plane to call their own, jann spend the vast majority of their time mingling with the race they most resemble, humans. Due to their similar appearance, jann are almost always mistaken for humans. This misclassification suits them fine, because they generally don't want the special treatment (whether positive or negative) they would receive. Many great heroes of legend were actually jann, because they seem to be gifted humans. Since they don't have consistent contact with elementals, jann usually see elementals as equals (their behavior based on this view can startle mortals unaware of a janni's race). Their skin and hair colors are all similar to those of humans, but their eye color ranges from pink to purple. Whatever their skin color, it tends to bear a slight golden hue.

Legendary Ability: Legend: Wish Granting
Your mastery of mana is such that you can command reality.
Restriction: Genie race
Benefit: Thrice per [Scene] as a standard action, you can cast Miracle as the spell. Provided the Genie race is available to players, some GMs may restrict this ability to NPCs, especially if they use this ability to cause either mechanical effects not covered by the Miracle spell or narrative effects.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 07:00:16 PM by Yoder »
"Trifles go to make perfection, and perfection is no trifle."
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

My friend just shared this: "Remember that time Gandalf convinced the whole party to flee so that he could take out the Balrog and not have to share any of the XP? Shows up the next session with fancy new robes and everything. What a jerk."

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Genie
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 02:50:10 PM »
Genie Track
Remember that Mana Infusion, Mana Enchantment, and Mana Reforging work for natural weapons too.

8 HP/Level
6 Skills
KOM: Str
KDM: Cha
BAB: 20
Fort: 15/10
Ref: 15/10
Will: 15/10

1st Circle
Force of ManaSU: Learning to concentrate your mana, you can unleash an intense rush of pressure when you strike. As a standard action, make a single attack. The attack does normal damage. In addition, if your attack hits, your opponent must make a Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 your level + your KOM) or treat movement, except in the direction away from you, as difficult terrain for 1 [Round].
Alternatively, this ability can be used as a move action. You deal no damage with this method, and only the effects from this ability occur when the target is hit and fails their save.
Under no circumstances can this ability be used more than once per [Round].
Mana InfusionSU: Your mana empowers your weapons, making them gleam with your element. Whenever you hit an opponent with a weapon, they begin [Burning].

2nd Circle
Mana PalaceSLA: You can use mana to manipulate your surroundings to represent your inner reality. You emit an Environment out to [Close] range, activated and deactivated with a swift or immediate action. It is an [Elemental, Lesser] Unusual Area corresponding to your sub-race within [Close] range. The effects of this environment stack with normal Environments and other Mana Palaces.
Mana EnchantmentSU: You learn to channel extra mana into your weapon, wreathing it in your element. As a free action, one magical weapon you are wielding gains the [Energized] enchantment corresponding to your sub-race, overriding any existing [Energized] enchantment. This effect is deactivated with another free action or if you ever cease to wield the affected weapon (including sheathing it).

3rd Circle
Great Force of ManaSU: The rush of pressure released when you strike is so strong that none can approach. An opponent failing their save against Force of Mana is additionally [Checked] against the direction toward you for 1 [Round].
Mana FlowEX: You attain a new means of traversing the world, corresponding to your sub-race.
   Djinni: You gain the [Fly] movement mode.
   Efreeti: Once per [Encounter] as a standard action, you can cast Dimension Door, as the spell.
   Ghuli: You gain the [Burrow] movement mode.
   Maridi: You gain the [Swim] movement mode.
   Janni: You gain a +2 bonus to Acrobatics and Athletics.

4th Circle
Large Mana PalaceSLA: You are able to enforce your inner reality more strongly and expansively. Your Mana Palace extends to [Medium] range. It is an [Elemental, Lesser] Unusual Area corresponding to your sub-race within [Medium] range and an [Elemental, Standard] Unusual Area corresponding to your sub-race within [Close] range. Upon activation or with another swift or immediate action, you can limit this effect to [Close] range.
Mana ReforgingSU: You learn to overflow your weapon with mana, transforming it into your element. As a free action, one weapon you are wielding gains the [Elemental] property corresponding to your sub-race (Janni cause their weapon to lose any [Elemental] property it may have), overriding any existing [Elemental] property. This effect is deactivated with another free action or if you ever cease to wield the affected weapon (including sheathing it).
Mana ReformationSU: Through mana, you can make your weapon an extension of yourself. As a free action, one weapon you are wielding gains the [Arcane] property. This effect is deactivated with another free action or if you ever cease to wield the affected weapon (including sheathing it).

5th Circle
Greater Force of ManaSU: The rush of pressure released when you strike sends foes flying. An opponent failing their save against Force of Mana is additionally [Blown Away] in the direction away from you.

6th Circle
Huge Mana PalaceSLA: Your inner reality has become incredibly potent and vast. Your Mana Palace extends to [Long] range. It is an [Elemental, Lesser] Unusual Area corresponding to your sub-race within [Long] range, an [Elemental, Standard] Unusual Area corresponding to your sub-race within [Medium] range, and an [Elemental, Greater] Unusual Area corresponding to your sub-race within [Close] range. Upon activation or with another swift or immediate action, you can limit this effect to [Medium] or [Close] range.
Mana SurgeSLA: You learn to emit a burst of mana that can overpower others' mana. Once per [Encounter] as a standard action, all enemies within [Long] range must make a Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 your level + your KOM) or suffer [Vulnerability] to the element corresponding to your sub-race until the end of the [Encounter].

7th Circle
Greatest Force of ManaSU: The rush of pressure released when you strike batters your enemies. An opponent failing their save against Force of Mana is additionally [Battered] until the end of the [Encounter].
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 07:02:02 PM by Yoder »
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

My friend just shared this: "Remember that time Gandalf convinced the whole party to flee so that he could take out the Balrog and not have to share any of the XP? Shows up the next session with fancy new robes and everything. What a jerk."

Djtooth

• Rogue
  • Elite
  • Tourist wielding a Pez dispenser that holds kunai.
  • Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Eye of Seeing
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 03:55:45 PM »
The Racial feat is pretty weak, not to mention lacking for an [Iconic].
[Arcane] doesn't have a property cost, so you are just spending a move action to gain brutal on a spell.
Two dictionaries and a chicken were playing tag one day, they are joined by a tree and some marshmallows.

Metool

• Rogue
  • Elite
  • You ever lose hope?
  • Eye of Seeing Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 06:49:06 PM »
Bear in mind that the [Positive] and [Negative] shenanigans are racial traits of undead, and you can't be both undead and a genie in mechanics.
(the positive and negative don't come with the undead tracks, and if you want to gain those traits you lose your previous traits)
"Honestly, I don't know if this non-core option is 1.0-ready"

No, it isn't. It may be updated at some point but it isn't 1.0-ready, which is why it isn't in 1.0. Anything that isn't in the 1.0 core rulebook should be treated as not being 1.0 compliant and used with caution if at all.

Tim4488

• Elite
  • Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 09:19:48 PM »
I feel like the Janni 3rd circle is significantly weaker than the other 4. Not too sure how I feel about Janni Mana Reforging, either. And Djtooth has a good point about the Racial feat.
"MY BLADE THIRSTS FOR MORE LEGEND." - Valixes

My homebrew.

loganic

• Monk
  • Elite
  • Problem Solver Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 04:41:04 PM »
I love some of the naming and flavor. It seems to play like what I imagine a greater elemental is, which is I suspect is what you see.

I made a track 'Dark Trader', (and a few people contributed their versions) that would fit this theme very well.
If you want to create a full class version of this, I'd be happy to collaborate and draft a few more tracks.
http://www.ruleofcool.com/smf/index.php/topic,602.msg11698.html#msg11698

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 09:22:17 PM »
@Djtooth:
The feat may not need to be [Iconic], but [Arcane] does a lot more than just add [Brutal]. This ability would let you apply your item bonus and all on-hit enchantments to both spells and attacks. Considering Imbue Spell from Incantation can make any spell use an attack roll instead of causing a save, that can be pretty powerful when used right.

Also, I wonder if [Variable] is supposed to exclude switching out [Arcane]. I'm asking the devs regarding this.

@Metool: Ah, true. I'll leave it there just in case some official or homebrew content comes along later that flips those like Undead. It won't be problematic unless a player somehow manages to take damage from both [positive] and [negative].

@Tim:
Giving a movement mode at 1st-3rd circle is pretty standard, and few tracks give much else beside that at those low circles. Also, preventing an enemy from approaching you if you're a ranged attacker can be pretty nice.

With Reforging, I may have overestimated the usefulness of being able to target physical and elemental (or 2 elements), especially given the [Variable] property. I can certainly reduce the cost to a free action; would that be sufficient?

@loganic:
Thanks, I'm glad you like it. They are like Elementals in some ways, and elemental genie, mechanically-speaking, are ultimately just a variant of elementals.

Yeah, I remember the Dark Trader. I can see how that would be a mechanical way to represent the personality of many of the genie sub-races (which I left out mechanically so it could be played up as much as the DM/players want).
Maybe, though this semester is going to be a busy one for me. I got the Ghost and Genie done b/c projects later down the road will eat all of my time (and my current internet connection problems aren't helping at all).

~

@ANYBODY: Seeing as the Mana Infusion, Enchantment, and Reforging abilities are on the weaker side, does anybody have ideas on other weapon-based elemental abilities that fit the flavor of this track?
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

loganic

• Monk
  • Elite
  • Problem Solver Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 01:41:13 PM »
random brainstorm ideas. I made some of these concept into a convulated elemental mage track that never got finished

Weapon effects
fire: additional fire damage to target and 1 adjacent square, reflex for half.
ice: Stacking 5' movement penalty,  cap at your discretion
Acid: stacking DR 1, reduction, cap at your discretion
Electric: Forced movement 5'-10', Fortitude save

Body effects
Fire: Either KDM damage or hit. Or on dodge, gain 1 Fiery burst effect. Consume 6 Fiery Burst effect, to deal Close Burst 1d6/level.
Ice: AC + 1, on hit Fort save or movement debuff
Acid: 1/Round, you can make a Fortitude save. If it succeeds, one source of damage that was dealt to you instead deals half damage.
Electric: When it attacks multiple targets in 1 round, they gain a cumaltive -1 to attack rolls, reset end of turn. (windy)
Or Electric charge effect per hit, 1d6 per level  deal to up to # of Electric charges enemies

Area
Fire: Fire Pillars = number of circles, small area of effect to adjacenet squares
Ice: (Icy world) 10+ movement speed in Med area to non-flying. Non Flying creatures who move more than 20', have to roll Reflex or suffer Prone.
Acid: Multiple attacks to a person cause acid pit at that location, causes KOM damage per Round to creatures starting there
Electric: in Medium area of effect, deal 1d6 +1 per 2 levels, minimum of 15' apart, every Round. 1/Round you can teleport to a square adjacent to these..

Control
Fire Blossoms:  As an immediate action, place a fire blossom in an unoccupied square. The following Round, it unfurls. Starting that Round and for 2d4 round, it deals 1d6 per level within 10'. You cannot have more blossoms than circles of said track

Electric Line Traps: As an immediate action, place/adhere an E-trap on a flat surface.  It takes a standard action to remove this. At the start of your turn,  any E-traps that have a clear line of sight to any other E-traps, establish a connection.  If any one cross/interupts an E-Trap, they must make a Reflex save or be dealt 1d6+1 per level damage.

Ice Puddle: choose a 10'x10' area within [Medium] range. As an immediate action, you apply [Icy Ground] to that area. Any creatures that move through it, or start there must make a Reflex save or suffer Prone.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 03:00:42 PM by loganic »

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 07:10:42 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions, loganic. :)

Before I go adding any new abilities, I integrated the feat into C4 and made it and the [Elemental] ability be free actions. How does the track look now power-wise?
It seems like being able to change [arcane] and the specific [elemental] more than once per [round] is balanced against [variable] in that those are the only 2 properties you can do it to.
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew