Author Topic: Phantasm (mind guardian/hyuma) race  (Read 4192 times)

Tenno Seremel

• Shaman
  • Elite
  • Destiny is chain for the weak.
  • Typo Hammer Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Phantasm (mind guardian/hyuma) race
« on: March 18, 2012, 11:53:44 PM »
Too much Ar tonelico makes weird things to you.

Mind guardian or Hyuma (whatever of them you feel more suitable for your character)

+2 Cha.
Size: Mind guardian – [Average], hyuma – [Small].
Darkvision.
Racial skills: +1 (+1/8 levels) racial bonus to any one skill.
Bonus feats (choose one): Hyuma Raid (refluffed Summon Mote: tiny hyuma(s) appear temporary), By Will Sustained, Breakneck Pace.
Hyumas are the personifications of strong feelings deep inside a Reyvateil's mind. There can be unlimited number of Hyumas inside a Reyvateil […]

Finding Hyumas means discovering new aspects of a Reyvateil's personality. Sometimes it means discovering a hidden side to her that she's not even aware of […]

To know thyself means to expand thy potentiality, and it follows that you will be able to sing new Sond Magic that you could not before. The Hyuma system is a legacy technology from the 1st Era, and can therefore only been found in worlds that retain technology from the 1st Era.

— Ar tonelico 3: The girl's song that pulls the trigger of world's demise

Reyvateils have an entity called a “Mind Guardian” in their soulspace. They protect the Reyvateil's mind, and watch over them as they grow up.

To make things worse better use them as cohorts. Probably full buy-in. Virtue track goes nicely with this fluff-wise as Reyvateils usually (but not always) support party. Discipline of the Crane allows flying and later auto revivification which goes nicely with them being personifications of your feelings. Arcane Lore might be also interesting because, seriously, Red/Grey/Crimson/Silver Hymn, although they need to be of offensive quality.

Racial class statistics
KOM: a Phantasm can choose either Strength or Dexterity to be her KOM.
KDM: Charisma.
HP/level: 10.
Skills: 5.
[Phantasm] type: (does not age).

BAB: good (+1/level).
Good saves: Will, Reflex or Fortitude*.
Bad save: Reflex or Fortitude*.
* A phantasm can choose either Reflex or Fortitude to be her second good save, the other one is a bad save.

Racial track: http://www.ruleofcool.com/smf/index.php/topic,89.msg4751.html#msg4751
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 10:38:30 PM by Tenno Seremel »

gkathellar

• Tactician
  • Global Moderator
  • Ace
  • My right hand was thunder, and my left was stone
  • Scroll of Scribes RoC Staff Dungeon Delver Eye of Seeing Dev Team Art Aficionado Magic 8-Ball
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Phantasm (hyuma) race
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 12:11:00 AM »
Looks fine to me. Never played Ar Tonelico.
Seven is the Number of Legend.
This is my mod voice.

Tenno Seremel

• Shaman
  • Elite
  • Typo Hammer Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Phantasm (hyuma) race
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 05:00:44 AM »
Ar tonelico takes place in the world of Sol Ciel. People are living around (on) the 3 Towers due to the fact that the planet surface is kind of dead. There are mainly 2 races: Human and Reyvateil. Although most of the Reyvateils are descendants of humans (Third Generation) and β-type Reyvateils which are "clones" (not quite but whatever) of Reyvateil Origins. Reyvateils can do Sond Magic by manipulating Towers. Although when Third Generation Reyvateil awakens to her powers she later needs life-extending agent every 3 months… which was mostly done for [more] innuendo. Have I mentioned that all Reyvateils are female only? :} They are also best Bards I've ever seen. Having their own language, Hymmnos, helps.

It is a world of techno-magic although it starts as fantasy until you learn all bits of knowledge about the world. Second magic is more techno, third one has more technology on the surface but is even more fantasy than the first one IMO.

Reyvateils also have their inner world accessible (with Dive technology) like some sort of virtual reality (Cosmosphere) which while potentially dangerous (for both Reyvateil and a diver) can be used to cure them of their problems or allow them to learn new Song Magic. Origins have them a bit different. While the third game was, IMO, weakest in that game Cosmospheres had hyumas. Small fairy-like creatures which are “personifications of strong feelings deep inside a Reyvateil's mind.” They can be accessed later to improve Reyvateil's Song Magic with boosts to party's attack/defense/healing/some resistances.

Example (well, they are mostly simple in design but a little bit different from each other): http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/1027/atqscreen10.jpg

Although maybe this race should be Mind Guardians which exist in Cosmospheres, while summoned motes are hyumas. Hmm…

Tenno Seremel

• Shaman
  • Elite
  • Typo Hammer Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Phantasm (mind guardian/hyuma) race
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 03:42:35 AM »
And now… a track for that. While granting abilities might seem a bad idea, in reality, however, some things it grants characters are expected to have anyway.

Phantasm track

1st Circle – Fade SU: Designate one willing ally within sight who cannot be you. This can be changed once a week, and the bond is exclusive (nobody can have two partners or benefit from two different partnerships). You have a permanent mental link to your partner and vice versa (see World-Mind spell). As a standard action you can enter you partner's mindscape regardless of distance between you as long as she is alive. If your partner dies while you are merged you are also dead although you are alive again if your partner comes back to life (your hit points are not affected in any way by this ordeal).

While you are merged:
  • you no longer exist in the physical world and cannot be targeted nor can you initiate your own actions but you do restore health with your Fast Healing + your partner's Fast Healing (if any);
  • you are aware of your partner's surroundings as if you were standing in her place yourself;
  • your partner gain all abilities from this track that you have access to other than Fade and Manifest.

Manifest SU: You can exit your partner's mindscape at any point during her turn. You appear withing 5 ft of her.

2nd Circle – Quick and Sturdy EX: You gain a bonus to Armor Class equal to the number of circles in this track you possess. This is both item and deflection bonus. Once per [Round] when you take 5 ft step you can move 10 ft instead.

3rd Circle – Air Walk EX: You gain a flight speed equal to your normal land speed.

4th Circle – Unearthly EX: You gain [Fast Healing] equal to your KDM.

5th Circle – Phantasmal Barrage SU: Once per [Encounter] as an immediate action you can assault 1 creature (who cannot be your partner) within [Medium] range so violently he is [Blown Away] in the direction of your choice. He must also succeed at a Fortitude save (DC 10 + 1/2 your CL + your KOM) or become [Blinded] for the duration of the [Encounter].
For 1 [Round] after you have used this ability reality is twisted in such a way that you gain +2 bonus to attack rolls, AC and all saves.

6th Circle – Perfect Body EX: You gain immunity to diseases, poisons, and ability damage.

7th Circle – Reality Revision SU: Once per [Scene], if you are killed, you are restored to life with full hit points one round after your death. You can choose not to return, if you believe that your impact on the multiverse is complete. If you are merged (see Fade ability) both of you are restored to life but only your partner's hit points are affected.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 04:02:38 AM by Tenno Seremel »

Tenno Seremel

• Shaman
  • Elite
  • Typo Hammer Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 02:20:06 AM »
Hmm… anyone have ideas what can I replace with abilities from 4th, 5th and 7th circles? There are way to many of those already in Legend and 5th is an attack while track is defensive.

The idea is that this track represent (mostly defensive) abilities of a creature that is a materialized mental construct. Somewhat like ghost but material.

Geigan

• Team Awesome
  • Elite
  • Typo Hammer Dev Team Magic 8-Ball Ballot Box Eye of Seeing Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 02:49:56 AM »
Unearthly could probably be kicked up to fast healing equal to level, though if you want a different, but still defensive effect make it [lesser resistance] to all damage and have fade let you stack it up to normal [resistance].

I think phantasmal barrage is fine as is, though I think it should be doable while faded and let the bonus apply to your partner as well.

For the capstone I have an interesting idea. Perhaps something about them acting together in the same body. They basically take their turns on the same turn while faded and count as the same person for everything they do. Use the highest of their defenses, any passive bonuses on themselves apply to both of them(though of course multiple instances don't stack), they have the same number of actions they each would separately, they act from the same square on the higher of the two's initiative count. When they roll a d20 they each roll and whichever is better is taken. Basically all the advantages of merging two characters into one and twice the actions done by one combination. This is probably just me being up far too late, so I'm just bouncing ideas off the wall. How much of it sticks is up to you if any of it sticks. I will note that I have never watched ar tonelico so I don't know how this would match up with the show or anything like that. Feel free to take this one or leave it.

Tenno Seremel

• Shaman
  • Elite
  • Typo Hammer Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 03:19:00 AM »
They boost character's healing aura or attacks, provide resistances, that kind of stuff. Well, in Ar tonelico they usually act inside mindscape so you don't even see them outside of it, so I'm just trying to guess what would be interesting if you could use them as cohorts.

Unearthly could probably be kicked up to fast healing equal to level, though if you want a different, but still defensive effect make it [lesser resistance] to all damage and have fade let you stack it up to normal [resistance].
Maybe… although Sage's [Lesser resistance] to everything is 6th Circle, so maybe not quite appropriate.

I think phantasmal barrage is fine as is, though I think it should be doable while faded and let the bonus apply to your partner as well.
*steals this*
For the capstone I have an interesting idea. Perhaps something about them acting together in the same body. They basically take their turns on the same turn while faded and count as the same person for everything they do. Use the highest of their defenses, any passive bonuses on themselves apply to both of them(though of course multiple instances don't stack), they have the same number of actions they each would separately, they act from the same square on the higher of the two's initiative count. When they roll a d20 they each roll and whichever is better is taken. Basically all the advantages of merging two characters into one and twice the actions done by one combination. This is probably just me being up far too late, so I'm just bouncing ideas off the wall. How much of it sticks is up to you if any of it sticks. I will note that I have never watched ar tonelico so I don't know how this would match up with the show or anything like that. Feel free to take this one or leave it.
Interesting. It is even somewhat consistent with the fact that they are usually inside of you.

Also, it feels like combining mechs now. Thank you :)

Geigan

• Team Awesome
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 03:21:57 AM »
That capstone will require tweaking. Try different combinations of what does and doesn't cross over until you hit on what fits I suppose.

The sage's 6th circle is getting a rework so I think you don't have to worry too much about that. Might be a bit strong though yeah. Do consider that you're giving up a lot while faded. It makes being a faded a strong defensive option at the cost of almost all your other actions.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 03:24:08 AM by Geigan »

Tenno Seremel

• Shaman
  • Elite
  • Typo Hammer Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 03:33:37 AM »
The sage's 6th circle is getting a rework so I think you don't have to worry too much about that. Might be a bit strong though yeah. Do consider that you're giving up a lot while faded. It makes being a faded a strong defensive option at the cost of almost all your other actions.
Come to think of it… that is true.

I'll try to think of capstone's description now (^. ^)

Tenno Seremel

• Shaman
  • Elite
  • Typo Hammer Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 05:19:29 AM »
Revision 1.
  • A character with Phantasm track cannot be targeted/affected by outside forces which might be pretty good when you get to act (7th Circle). On the other hand, partner's HP is not increased while they are combined via Fade ability, so it should be fine. Hopefully this will not lead to insanely high mortality rates…
  • Not sure about (non stackable) sharing of other bonuses. Roll d20 twice and use better result might be fine to represent that.
  • – Only 2 of you may enter here. / P1: fades into P2. / P3: fades into P4. / We are ready.
Revision 2.
  • Replaced immunity to ability damage at 6th circle with immunity to falling damage as the former is no longer a thing, apparently.
Revision 3.
  • Replaced C6 because immunity to poisons with existence of combat alchemist is a bit too much.

Phantasm track

1st Circle – Fade SU: Designate one willing ally within sight who cannot be you. This can be changed once a week, and the bond is exclusive (nobody can have two partners or benefit from two different partnerships). You have a permanent mental link to your partner and vice versa (see World-Mind spell). As a standard action you can enter you partner's mindscape regardless of distance between you as long as she is alive. If your partner dies while you are faded you are also dead although you are alive again if your partner comes back to life (your hit points are not affected in any way by this ordeal).

While you are faded:
  • you no longer exist in the physical world and cannot be targeted nor can you initiate your own actions other than using Manifest, but you do restore health with your [Fast Healing] + your partner's [Fast Healing] (if any) and can be affected with your partner's abilities if you so desire (on a case by case basis);
  • you are aware of your partner's surroundings as if you were standing in her place yourself;
  • your partner gain all abilities from this track that you have access to other than Fade, Manifest, and United as One.

Manifest SU: You can exit your partner's mindscape at any point during her turn as a free action. You appear withing 5 ft of her.

2nd Circle – Quick and Sturdy EX: You gain a bonus to Armor Class equal to the number of circles in this track you possess. This is both item and deflection bonus. Once per [Round] when you take 5 ft step you can move 10 ft instead.

3rd Circle – Air Walk EX: You gain Fly movement mode.

4th Circle – Unearthly EX: You gain [Lesser resistance] to all damage. When you are faded your partner gain [Resistance] to all damage instead.

5th Circle – Phantasmal Barrage SU: Once per [Encounter] as an immediate action you can assault 1 creature (who cannot be your partner) within [Medium] range so violently he is [Blown away] in the direction of your choice. He must also succeed at a Fortitude save (DC 10 + 1/2 your level + your KOM) or become [Blinded] for the duration of the [Encounter]. For 1 [Round] after you have used this ability reality is twisted in such a way that you gain +2 bonus to attack rolls, AC and all saves.

You can use Phantasmal Barrage even while faded and bonuses are applied to both you and your partner even if it was your partner who used this ability.

6th Circle – Perfect Body EX: You gain [Immunity] to diseases, poisons, and falling damage.

6th Circle – Perfect Body EX: You gain [Immunity] to [Blinded], [Deafened], [Petrified] conditions and falling damage. Once per [Encounter] as a standard action you can share some of this power temporarily to remove [Blinded], [Deafened] and [Petrified] conditions from an ally (within [Close] range) or your partner (regardless of range).

7th Circle – United as One SU: You can now act while faded. All your actions are made from your partner's square and you can do everything you can normally do but moving (you can still use your move actions for something else). You don't need to act in any particular order. For example, you take standard action, then your partner takes her standard action, and then you use your swift action and a move action.

You are a single entity as far as everyone else is concerned and it appears that your partner is just that good at doing her business. Use highest of your Initiative, AC and saves for both of you. When d20 is rolled you both roll it and use better result.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 07:36:03 AM by Tenno Seremel »

Tenno Seremel

• Shaman
  • Elite
  • Typo Hammer Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2012, 09:11:42 AM »
As I have both race and a track "Racial class statistics" block will not hurt as well. Added.

Geigan

• Team Awesome
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2012, 01:28:44 PM »
This should probably go find and play that game so I know what this track is trying to emulate. *Adds to list*

Tenno Seremel

• Shaman
  • Elite
  • Typo Hammer Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2012, 01:55:35 PM »
This should probably go find and play that game so I know what this track is trying to emulate. *Adds to list*
Well, it is trying to emulate my idea of them being outside, some sort of a fiction, more that anything as they are inside "mindscape" and don't really battle in real battles. The game is about a world after some catastrophe in the distant past. Song magic users (female only) unlock those "critters" in their minds (well, technically, protagonist does) that gives character new magic, or (in some games) boost character's magical aura in battle. Mind guardians protect songstress' mind while giving protagonist some hints, etc.

I choose to emulate that with Protection: bastion on a character herself with spells, to boost her party. I have a thread about this. While mind guardians look like protectors, some has weapons, so I made something that somehow looks somewhat similar to that, without really copying it. No idea whether others view that as I am but I think the idea kind of works, although I don't suppose I need a separate track per se but I needed something to make character withing someone's mind %)

Expect technomagic, tons of innuendo, craft and best bards I've ever seen. Never cared much about bards before, and, well, I didn't quite like technomagic either, but… I love it :) First 2 games are PS2 games. 3rd one is PS3 but it is weaker storywise.

EDIT: I think I'm starting to repeat myself… a little :}
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 02:02:06 PM by Tenno Seremel »