Author Topic: New Monk Discipline Tracks (UPDATED!)  (Read 4384 times)

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
  • Ballot Box Eye of Seeing Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
New Monk Discipline Tracks (UPDATED!)
« on: March 04, 2013, 09:25:52 AM »
Since the Monk already had a Kung-Fu theme going w/ Serpent and Crane, I decided to complete the set of Disciplines w/ Tiger and Monkey. Both are Serpent alternatives, like Dervish is to Rage. I'm not confident on the balance of either of these, though I think only minor tweaks or handling of excpetions/loopholes  would be necessary.

Disipline of the Tiger
Anywhere you see ellipses, reference the text from the official Discipline of the Serpent track.

1st Circle
External TechniquesEX: ...

2nd Circle: Aerial Ace
UppercutEX: Swinging in a upward motion, you knock a target into the air. As a standard action, you make a single melee attack that deals normal damage. If the attack hits, the target must make a Reflex save or begin [Flying]. While the target does not possess the Fly movement mode, they are unable to move until the end of your turn. If the target does not possess the Fly movement mode at the end of your turn, they cease [Flying]. If the target never possessed the Fly movement mode from when you used Uppercut on them until the end of your turn, they take 1d6 fall damage per circle of Discipline of the Tiger you possess. If they are over a [Swimming] area, this damage is halved.
Axe KickEX: Swinging in a downward motion, you slam a target to the ground. As a standard action while [Flying], you make a single melee attack against a [Flying] target that deals normal damage. If the attack hits, the target must make a Reflex save or cease [Flying] and take 1d6 fall damage per circle of Discipline of the Tiger you possess. If they are over a [Swimming] area, this damage is halved. If the target had previously failed their save against Uppercut during your turn, they suffer the damage from that Combat Maneuver when they take the damage from this Combat Maneuver.
For both of these Combat Maneuvers, you can not provoke an Attack of Opportunity from your target from after you hit them until the end of your turn if they failed their save against said Combat Maneuver.

3rd Circle: Relentless Pursuit
Flying StrikeEX: You approach your enemy at high speed, utilizing your momentum to deal a blow. As a standard action, you may move up to your speed in a straight line and make a single melee attack. Any obstruction in a straight-line path prevents you from using Flying Strike (although you could maneuver to a straight-line path, if one exists, with your move action). You are not required to move and may change movement modes at the end of your movement (or lack thereof). You do not provoke an Attack of Opportunity from your target or anybody along your path, and you only provoke an Attack of Opportunity from enemies threatening your initial position if you have not hit and damaged them with a melee attack this round.
Forceful BlowEX: You deliver a powerful strike to an enemy's center of gravity, sending them careening away. As a standard action, you make a single melee attack that deals normal damage. If the attack hits, the target must make a Fortitude save or be pushed in 1 direction a distance equal to your movement speed. This movement does not provoke Attacks of Opportunity.
In addition, as a move action, you may immediately make a [Bonus Attack].

4th Circle
Ceaseless FlowEX: ...

5th Circle
Stop the BreathEX: ...

6th Circle
Rocket PunchEX: A living weapon, you literally launch yourself at your target. Once per [Encounter] when using Ceaseless Flow, you may replace your attack with both a Flying Strike and a Forceful Blow. For this ability, the movement range for Flying Strike is doubled, and the DC for Forceful Blow is increased by 1. On a critical hit with an attack affected by this ability, the DC for Forceful Blow is instead increased by 2, and an opponent failing their Fortitude save against Forceful Blow is [Blown Away] the distance they would have been pushed.

7th Circle
On PowerEX: ...
Discipline of the Monkey
Anywhere you see ellipses, reference the text from the official Discipline of the Serpent track.

1st Circle
External TechniquesEX: ...

2nd Circle: Go to no Evil, Do no Evil
Crippling JabsEX: You target your opponent's legs with rapid successive strikes, stunting their agility and movement range. As a standard action, you make a single melee attack that deals normal damage. If the attack hits, the target must make a Reflex save or take a -1 penalty to their Reflex saves for 1 [Round] and suffer a -5 ft penalty to their movement speed (minimum: their base movement speed) until the end of the [Encounter]. Every 5ft lost counts as a separate status condition for the purposes of effects that remove status conditions.
Disabling JabsEX: You target your opponent's arms with rapid successive strikes, stunting their offensive capability and range. As a standard action, you make a single melee attack that deals normal damage. If the attack hits, the target must make a Fortitude save or take a -1 penalty to their attack rolls for 1 [Round] and either  (you decide which) suffer a -5 ft penalty to their melee attack range (minimum: 5 ft) or lose the furthest range with any ranged attack (minimum: [Close] range). Every 5ft or range increment lost counts as a separate status condition for the purposes of effects that remove status conditions.

3rd Circle: See no Evil, Be no Evil
Impairing JabsEX: You target your opponent's head with rapid successive strikes, stunting their concentration and vision. As a standard action, you make a single melee attack that deals normal damage. If the attack hits, the target must make a Will save or take a -1 penalty to their Will saves for 1 [Round] and lose 1 vision mode (or have the effects of the Arcane Sight, Blindsight, See Invisibility, or True Seeing spells upon them dispelled) of their choice (minimum: normal vision or [Blindsight] if possessing the Justice, Blind [Iconic] feat) until the end of the [Encounter]. Each vision mode lost counts as a separate status condition for the purposes of effects that remove status conditions.
Debilitating JabsEX: You target your opponent's core with rapid successive strikes, stunting their stamina and endurance. As a standard action, you make a single melee attack that deals normal damage. If the attack hits, the target must make a Fortitude save or take a -1 penalty to their Foritude saves for 1 [Round] and become [Battered] until the end of the [Encounter].

4th Circle

5th Circle

6th Circle: No Evil
Choose one of the following abilities (this choice is permanent):
Defeat All EvilEX: Your Combat Maneuevers become more devastating in ways unique to each:
   Double Disarm: On a failed save, Disarm additionally causes the target to drop their shield (if any).
   Strangle: Choke additionally causes [Bleeding] and [Burning].
   Roundhouse / Slide Tackle: On a failed save, Trip instead causes [Blown Away].
   Crippling Flurry: On a failed save, Crippling Jabs additionally causes a -1 penalty to AC for 1 [Round].
   Disabling Flurry: On a failed save, Disabling Jabs additionally causes a -3 penalty to damage for 1 [Round].
   Impairing Flurry: On a failed save, Impairing Jabs additionally causes a -1 penalty to both Awareness and Perception checks for 1 [Round].
   Debilitating Flurry: On a failed save, Debilitating Jabs additionally causes a -3 penalty to [Damage Reduction] for 1 [Round].
Purge All EvilEX: Your special Combat Maneuevers have surpassed their former limits:
   Crippling Palms: Crippling Jabs's minimum movement speed is now 0 ft. A creature without a movement speed cannot move or change movement modes.
   Disabling Palms: Disabling Jabs's minimum melee attack range is 0 ft, and it has no minimum ranged attack range. A creature without a melee attack range threatens no area and cannot use melee attacks, and a creature without a ranged attack range cannot use ranged attacks. Remember that [Melee] range, which is not affected by Disabling Palms's penalties to melee attack range for purposes of ranged attack range, stands between [Close] range and no range.
   Impairing Palms: Impairing Jabs's minimum vision mode count is now 0. A creature lacking any vision modes is [Blind].
   Debilitating Palms: On a failed save, Debilitating Jabs also inflicts [Energy-Drained] for 1 [Round].

7th Circle
Drunken Brawler

Some drinkers figure out how to integrate alcohol into their fighting style, though none would call it a Discipline. It can be surprisingly effective, and foes are often caught off guard by a Drunken Brawler's unexpected comptenence. Aside from the brute force unlocked by being drunk, these Drunken Brawlers can also manifest effects reminiscent of the various stages of drunkenness in those they manage to hit.

Condition: [Inebriated]
Though you can hold your liquor well, you are undeniably drunk. Like a [Confused] creature, an [Inebriated] creature’s actions are determined by rolling d% at the beginning of his turn:
RESULTEFFECT
1-10spend his standard or move action babbling incoherently
11-30have his movement speed halved for 1 [Round]
31-60take offensive actions against the nearest enemy, moving toward it as necessary
61-100act normally
An [Inebriated] creature who can’t carry out the indicated action does nothing but babble incoherently. If an opponent takes an offensive action against an [Inebriated] creature, that creature takes offensive actions against that opponent on its next turn, moving toward it as necessary as long as it is still [Inebriated] when its turn comes. If remaining in an Area of Effect would cause harm to an [Inebriated] creature, it attempts to leave that Area of Effect so long as this would not prevent it from taking offensive actions against an opponent that has just attempted to harm it. An [Inebriated] creature does not make Attacks of Opportunity against any creature that it is not already devoted to attacking (either because of its most recent action or because it has just been attacked). Unless otherwise noted, this condition expires at the end of the [Scene]. Any effect that can remove the [Confused] condition can remove the [Inebriated] condition.

Weapon Property: [Disgusting]
Disgusting weapons inflict [Sickened] on a critical hit.

1st Circle
Spirit SpiritEX: You seem like a bumbling drunkard, which has its benefits. You are [Immune] to the [Confused] condition. Also, you are [Immune] to the [Nauseated] and [Sickened] conditions from any source other than this track and can never become completely [Immune] to those conditions. In combat encounters, you are permanently [Inebriated].
Raw StrengthEX: Your buzzed state has stripped away all inhibitions (and eliminated any hope of concentration).
Your Unarmed Strike Natural weapon gains the [Brutal 3], [Disgusting], and [Magnum] properties. When wielding an Improvised weapon, you can grant it properties of your choice from your Unarmed Strike Natural weapon until it has 5 properties. The Improvised weapon retains those properties for as long as you wield it.
Your bonuses to damage from the Deadly Aim and Power Attack Combat Maneuevers and Critical hits are doubled. Also, all bonus damage from the Deadly Aim and Power Attack Combat Maneuevers and Critical hits is [Precision] damage. Additionally, you cannot use the Precise Strike Combat Maneuever.
Attacks you make as part of a Disarm, Grapple, Pin, or Trip attempt deal additional [Precision] damage equal to your level.

2nd Circle: Imbibed Insight
Your blurred vision and slurred speech belie a deepening grasp on your surroundings. ...
True HeadbuttEX: As a standard action, you make a single melee attack that deals normal damage. Before calculating [Miss Chance] (if any), the target must make a Reflex save or have their [Miss Chance] ignored.
Violent GougeEX: As a standard action, you make a single melee attack that deals normal damage. If this attack hits, the target must make a Fortitude save or begin [Bleeding] and [Burning].

3rd Circle: Drunken Boxing
You no longer know when to throw in the towel. You are [Immune] to the [Disabled] and [Dying] conditions. Additionally, you gain access to the following special Combat Maneuvers:
Drunk FistEX: As a standard action, you make a single melee attack that deals normal damage. If this attack hits, the target must make a Fortitude save or become [Sickened] for 1 [Round].
Hangover HookEX: As a standard action, you make a single melee attack that deals normal damage. If this attack hits, you are [Sickened] for 1 [Round]. If this attack hits a [Sickened] opponent, the target must make a Fortitude save or become [Nauseated]. If this attack hits a non-[Sickened] opponent, the target must make a Fortitude save or become [Sickened]. If this attack hits an opponent who is [Immune] to the [Sickened] condition, the target must make a Fortitude save or become [Sickened] for 1 [Round], ignoring their [Immunity].

4th Circle

5th Circle

6th Circle: Disjunction of the Alcoholic
You have learned how to dispel the magic known as sobriety. You gain access to the following special Combat Maneuever:
Temulent SlamEX: You make a single melee attack that deals normal damage. If this attack hits, you become [Nauseated], and the target must make a Fortitude save or become both [Battered] and [Inebriated]. If the opponent fails their save, this attack doesn't qualify you as the target for the [Inebriated] condition's aggression rules.

7th Circle
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 07:49:30 PM by Yoder »
"Trifles go to make perfection, and perfection is no trifle."
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

My friend just shared this: "Remember that time Gandalf convinced the whole party to flee so that he could take out the Balrog and not have to share any of the XP? Shows up the next session with fancy new robes and everything. What a jerk."

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: New Monk Discipline Tracks
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 09:26:13 AM »
Discipline of the Turtle track
Anywhere you see ellipses, reference the text from the official Discipline of the Crane track.

1st Circle
Slow MovementEX: You accrue a penalty to your movement speed equal to 5 ft per circle you possess from this track (to a maximum of a 35 ft penalty at 7th circle). Every enemy that begins its turn within [Melee] range suffers an equal penalty to their movement speed (minimum: their base movement speed).
Also, you gain [Fast Healing] equal to your circles in this track. Additionally, you gain a +1 bonus to Vigor checks; this bonus increases by 1 at 4th circle and again at 6th circle.

2nd Circle
Against the RockslideEX: You gain an item bonus to Armor Class equal to the number of Discipline of the Turtle circles you possess.

3rd Circle
Through the DirtEX: You gain the Burrow movement mode.

4th Circle
Tough BodyEX: You can withstand trials. You gain [Resistance] to physical damage.

5th Circle
Solidarity of the TurtleEX: You are faithful and strong in the face of adversity. You are [Immune] to the [Checked], [Disabled], and [Dying] conditions. If you are not [Flying], you are [Immune] to [Blown Away], but if you are [Flying], you treat being [Blown Away] as if [Checked] while not [Flying].
Additionally, once per [Encounter] as a swift action, you become [Immune] to [Precision] damage for 1 [Round].

6th Circle
Steady ActionsEX: You can accomplish much by staying put. Once per [Encounter] as a move action, you can gain an extra 2 swift actions on your turn.

7th Circle
Terrapin RebornSU: ...
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 07:48:16 PM by Yoder »
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

My friend just shared this: "Remember that time Gandalf convinced the whole party to flee so that he could take out the Balrog and not have to share any of the XP? Shows up the next session with fancy new robes and everything. What a jerk."

Tim4488

• Elite
  • Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 10:19:01 AM »
Shouldn't Uppercut say IF the target does not possess the Fly movement mode, rather than while?

In terms of Crippling Jabs and the minimum an enemy can be reduced to, you're referring to the base movement speed due to them by race, not counting any increases for leveling up, correct? I only ask because I'm not entirely fluent in the new movement speed rules, and want to be sure.

Impairing Flurry seems... meh, compared to the rest of Defeat All Evil.

Is Impairing Palms able to remove Blindsight from someone with Justice, Blind?

I'm sure they do require some minor tweaks from someone with a more trained eye than myself, but overall, very cool. Thanks for making these, I like them quite a bit. I might even let the Monk in my current game look them over to possibly swap out, if he likes one of these better.

For the overall set, would it be something like Offensive Discipline, then, which is one Track with these three subsets, like the Rogue?
"MY BLADE THIRSTS FOR MORE LEGEND." - Valixes

My homebrew.

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 01:11:47 PM »
I only said while to cover any potential interactions with other abilities. If they get the Fly movement mode at some point during their "hang time," they could move away then. I had to be specific w/ the wording on that to avoid a loophole, so it probably isn't a clear as it should be.

Yes, that's correct. You can strip away all bonuses to movement speed, but they will always retain their base movement speed (25 for [small], 30 for [medium], 35 for [large]). Of course, Crippling Palm can strip away all movement speed...

Hmm... You're right about Impairing Palms. Maybe also give a -1 penalty to Perception checks?

Yes, just as it can strip away normal sight from a character w/o that feat.

Thanks, I'm glad you like them! It started w/ my attempt to model a monk that dashes around between opponents w/ the charge combat maneuever, and I ended up w/ the DBZ-like Tiger track. The Monkey track followed pretty naturally from that.

Yeah, something along those lines.
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

loganic

• Monk
  • Elite
  • Problem Solver Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 02:48:28 PM »
Loving the feel of this, We need more martial abilities like this. I had started working one for basic swordplay

Personal reccomendation. You shouldn't penalize someone who has other tracks that already certain circles, ie Path of Serpent, or these two together. 
Have them read. Gain X as per track Path of Serpent. If you already have this or gain this from another track, gain Y from Path of Dragon. In the event you have that or gain that as well, instead gain Z on charge attacks, ect

Personally, I would encourage you to make more, Mantis, Crane, Budhist Palm,  Stone, Water, ect ect.

If you do that, and have multiple shared abilties, I personally would just make a table saying, in the event you already have this ability from another track, choose an alternate abilite of equal or lesser circle from the alternate circles table.

Draz

• Paladin
  • Elite
  • Typo Hammer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 03:23:39 PM »
Will read later, but for now, I just wanted to ask: are you going to add a Mantis and a Panda discipline to complete the set?  ;D

Tim4488

• Elite
  • Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 07:02:21 PM »
How about "As long as the target does not possess the Flying movement mode..." is that a little bit better?

Thanks for the clarification.

That would improve Impairing Palms, though I'm still not sure it's on par with -1 AC or -3 Damage. Eh, maybe they can't all be perfect - at least you get all the options there.

Loganic, that's an interesting idea, though I fear it might lead to some really wonky interactions. There's a reason some tracks are mutually exclusive, due to perhaps overly powerful interactions, and I think that might be the case here. Especially with Full-Buy In, it could get very min-maxy in the bad way.

I personally would love to see Mantis and Panda, and if you're not up for it Yoder, might take it a crack at it myself after doing some more research on them.

My homebrew.

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 08:50:24 AM »
@loganic:
Thanks.

As Tim pointed out, these tracks are supposed to be mutually exclusive w/ Serpent, like how many of the other core class's tracks are. Besides that, they all give [Precision] bonuses that wouldn't stack and would therefore be wasted.

@Tim:
That sounds like a good alternative wording. I'll change it later today.

True, but Impairing can be useful if you want the guy w/ See Invisibility and a good Perception/Awareness to not be able to detect the Rogue trying to assassinate him.

@loganic & Draz & Tim: I wouldn't mind making more of these, but I'm tapped out for concepts/creativity currently. Feel free to take a shot at it yourselves if you want.
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

Tim4488

• Elite
  • Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 06:16:20 PM »
Good point on Impairing Palms that I hadn't considered. I'll try to do some research into Panda and Mantis style over the next day or two and see what I can churn up. I'll probably start a new thread, I think that makes the most sense?

My homebrew.

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 02:57:17 PM »
Okay, cool.
Yeah, making a separate thread may be for the best.
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

Tim4488

• Elite
  • Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2013, 03:12:04 PM »
In which Tim learns that real-world martial arts do not necessarily conform to distinct specializations that are easily translated into game mechanics. But! Still working on it, you'll see it whenever it gets put together.

Does anyone else have anything to say about Monkey and Tiger, or are they basically done? I'm sure someone with a keener eye than my own can fix one or two last balance issues.

My homebrew.

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2013, 08:50:52 AM »
Yeah, I took most of my inspiration for these from how pop-culture shows the kung-fu styles working. I'd imagine real-world study of them would be more difficult.
Okay.

I'm not entirely happy w/ the Roundhouse's upgrade to Trip in Defeat all Evil. I don't want to spam [Blown Away] (though it a a really fun condition). Any thoughts for a replacement upgrade, or should I just scrap Roundhouse?
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: New Monk Discipline Tracks (UPDATED!)
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 07:49:39 PM »
I came up w/ 2 more tracks, moving Monkey into the first post to make room.

Drunken Brawler's purpose should be pretty obvious from its name. It was fun to make a "non-discipline."

I came up w/ Discipline of the Turtle as a joke, but it ended up turning into something pretty solid (still a little iffy on C1 amnd C5). It is not mutually exclusive w/ Crane like how the others are w/ Serpent. In fact, I designed to to complement Crane, and I think it does so pretty well. I also made sure it wouldn't conflict w/ Sentient Construct, Earth Elemental, or Air Elemental (not necessarily in action economy, more in not having things that don't stack).
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

Metool

• Rogue
  • Elite
  • You ever lose hope?
  • Eye of Seeing Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2013, 08:49:53 PM »
Slow MovementEX: [...] Every enemy that begins its turn within [Melee] range suffers an equal penalty to their movement speed (minimum: their base movement speed (define, please)).
Also, you gain [Fast Healing] equal to your circles in this track. Why? Why this low, why this early?

Solidarity of the TurtleEX: You are faithful and strong in the face of adversity. You are [Immune] to the [Checked], [Disabled], and [Dying] but not [Unconscious] (a real concern) conditions. If you are not [Flying], you are [Immune] to [Blown Away], but if you are [Flying], you treat being [Blown Away] as if [Checked] while not [Flying].
Additionally, once per [Encounter] as a swift action, you become [Immune] to [Precision] damage for 1 [Round]. Odd, why discriminate? What use is this if your GM (or players) don't build things with Precision?
"Honestly, I don't know if this non-core option is 1.0-ready"

No, it isn't. It may be updated at some point but it isn't 1.0-ready, which is why it isn't in 1.0. Anything that isn't in the 1.0 core rulebook should be treated as not being 1.0 compliant and used with caution if at all.

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2013, 09:42:28 AM »
It was defined previously in this thread as your movement speed at L1 (before the scaling bonuses of leveling kick in).

Are you asking for reasoning as to why it fits w/ the track concept? I think that should be obvious.
It's low since there are other benefits granted by C1, and no amount of [FH] is inconsequential.
I don't see why giving FH at C1 is a problem.

That's not a real concern, considering quite a few homebrew tracks feature [immunity] to [disabled] and [dying] (and not just mine). It just means you can fight normally so long as you're not dead. [Unconscious] is caused by [disabled]/[dying], so not granting [immunity] to a condition that can forseeably be caused by other circumstances is logical.

I wouldn't call that discrimination. It's similar to things being immune to critical hits in 3.5. It models not having a weak spot to take advantage of.
Simple, if GMs/players don't build things w/ [Precision], then don't use this track if it bothers you that much. It's just as bothersome as if you got [immunity/resistance] to an element you never got hit with (like the fact that neither mage spell list has a cold element spell, aside from flame blade).
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 09:45:42 AM by Yoder »
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew