Author Topic: Dragonborn: Unleash your Thuum  (Read 4531 times)

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Dragonborn: Unleash your Thuum
« on: March 21, 2012, 12:40:56 PM »
Here is my initial version of a shout system for legend. It needs work still. Notably, there is no mechanism for higher level shouts, nor any reason not to use all the words of a shout, beyond it costing extra to learn them. Skyrim had cooldown, but I find that is generally doesn't translate well in a turn based RPG like this. At least, not one without a lot more turns in your average encounter. Thoughts on how to handle this would be welcome. As it is , this is mainly an attempt to translate the effects of the shouts into legend.

Shout System:

Each circle, you can learn 3 new words
You must know the previous word in a thuum to learn the next one, but you can learn multiple words from the same thuum at the same circle
The key attribute modifier for this track is any con.
Any saves are 10+1/2 level + CON.
The action it takes to use a Thuum is based on how many words you use. 1 word is a swift, 2 is a move, 3 is a standard. You may only use one thuum each round.
Some words can only be learned after obtaining a certain circle. That number is in parentheses after the word.

Aura Whisper
LAAS
Gain ghostwise sight out 10ft for 1 round
YAH
Gain ghostwise sight out 20ft for 2 rounds
NIR
Gain ghostwise sight out 30ft for 3 rounds

Become Ethereal
FEIM(3)
You become immune to falling damage for 1 round.
ZII(5)
Become ethereal for 1 round. This lasts until the end of your next turn.
GRON(6)
Become ethereal for 1 round. This lasts until the start of your next turn.

Clear skys
LOK
dispells any wind effects within close range, such as from a vortex spell or an air elemental.
VAH
Also Dispels any mist or fog within close range, such as from an obscuring must spell or a water elemental
KOOR
Also prevents any new mist, fog, or wind effects from being generated within close range of you for 5 rounds

Call Dragon
OD(7)
nothing   
AH(7)
nothing
VING(7)
In 1d6 rounds, a dragon comes to your aid. Treat this as a cohort, which must be an operative 1 levels below your own with the dragon track. It flies into the battle from the edge of the battlefield, if it makes sense to do so.  This shout may only be used once per encounter. (well, you could use it more often, but it won't do anything)

Disarm
ZUN
Target within close range must make a reflex save or drop their weapon
HAAL
If the target fails their save, their weapon is [blown away], landing several squares away.
VIIK
You disarm all foes within a 25ft+ 5ft per 2 levels cone

Dismay
FAAS(2)
target within close range must make a will save or be [Shaken] for 1 rounds
RU(3)
target within close range must make a will save or be [frightened] for 2 rounds
MAAR(4)
you can cause all targets within a 25ft+5ft per 2 levels cone to make a will save or be [shaken] for 3 rounds

Dragonrend
JOOR
Target within medium range must make a will save or lose [Flying] for 1 round
ZAH(2)
if the target fails its save, it cannot fly for 2 rounds
FRUL(3)
if the target fails its save, it cannot fly for the rest of the encounter

Elemental Fury
SU
You may flurry without penalty for 1 round
GRAH(2)
you may flurry without penalty for 3 rounds, and make a [bonus attack] whenever you use an attack action
DUN(3)
you may flurry without penalty and get a bonus attack whenever you use an attack action for the rest of the encounter.

Fire breath
YOL(2)
you breath fire in a 10ft+5ft per 4 levels cone, which does 1d4+d4 for every 5 levels fire damage, reflex half
TOOR(3)
you breath fire in a 25ft+5ft per 2 levels cone, which does 1d4+1d4 for every 2 level fire damage, reflex half
SHUUL(4)
you breath fire in a 25ft+5ft per 2 levels cone, which does 1d4/level fire damage, reflex half
targets that fail their save catch [On Fire]

frost breath
FO(2)
you breath cold in a 10ft+5ft per 4 levels cone, which does 1d4+1d4 for every 5 levels cold damage, fort half
KRAH(3)
you breath cold in a 25ft+5ft per 2 levels cone, which does 1d4+ 1d4 for every 2 levels cold damage, fort half
DIIN(4)
you breath cold in a 25ft+5ft per 2 levels cone, which does 1d4/level cold damage, fort half
targets that fail their save are [Slowed]

Ice form
IISS(3)
a target within close range must make a fort save or be Slowed for 1 round
SLEN(4)
a target within close range must make a fort save or be Paralyzed for 1 round
NUS(5)
a target within close range must make a fort save or be Paralyzed for 2 round, and takes 10 cold damage each round they are paralyzed

Marked For Death
KRII
a target within close range gets a -1 penalty to their AC for the rest of the encounter
LUN(2)
a target within close range gets a -3 penalty to their AC  for the rest of the encounter
AUS(3)
a target within close range gets a -5 penalty to their AC  for the rest of the encounter, and catch [On Fire]

Slow Time
TIID
Time seems to slow down. You gain a +1 bonus to attacks and a +1 bonus to AC for 1 round
KLO(2)
Time seems to slow down. You gain a +2 bonus to attacks and a +2 bonus to AC for 2 rounds
UL(4)
Time seems to slow down. You gain a +3 bonus to attacks,a +3 bonus to AC, and +10ft to your speed for 3 rounds

Storm Call
STRUN(2)
Gain the effect of Call Lightning, as the spell, only it can only calls 1 bolt.
BAH(4)
Gain the effect of Call Lightning.
QO(6)
Gain the effects of Lightning Storm

Unrelenting Force
FUS
Opponent within close range is [staggered] for 1 round if they fail a fort save
RO(2)
Opponent within close range is [staggered] for 3 rounds
DAH(4)
Opponents within a 25ft+5ft per 2 levels cone are [blown away] and staggered for 1 round

Whirlwind sprint
WULD
Increase your speed by 30ft for 1 round
NAH(2)
Increase your speed by 60ft for 1 round
KEST(3)
increase speed by 90ft for 1 round, and move your speed
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 11:53:22 AM by Mystify »
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

Grue

• Monk
  • Elite
  • Typo Hammer Eye of Seeing Dungeon Delver
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Dragonborn: Unleash your Thuum
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 03:18:07 PM »
are the words for fire and ice breath supposed to be the same?

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 03:22:41 PM »
are the words for fire and ice breath supposed to be the same?
No, that was an error. I fixed it.

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
  • Ballot Box Eye of Seeing Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 07:04:19 PM »
This track definitely has potential.

What if the cooldown was 1 time period longer than the time period the shout took, so:
1: swift :: move
2: move :: standard
3: standard :: full round

That may make it more bearable to have to nerf another aspect of this track a little more than you may have originally wanted to, like limiting access to getting seconds words until 2nds circle and limiting access of third words until third circle (enforcing some aspect of variety). I believe these two adjustments balance out well enough.
"Trifles go to make perfection, and perfection is no trifle."
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

My friend just shared this: "Remember that time Gandalf convinced the whole party to flee so that he could take out the Balrog and not have to share any of the XP? Shows up the next session with fancy new robes and everything. What a jerk."

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 07:30:06 PM »
This track definitely has potential.

What if the cooldown was 1 time period longer than the time period the shout took, so:
1: swift :: move
2: move :: standard
3: standard :: full round

That may make it more bearable to have to nerf another aspect of this track a little more than you may have originally wanted to, like limiting access to getting seconds words until 2nds circle and limiting access of third words until third circle (enforcing some aspect of variety). I believe these two adjustments balance out well enough.
Well, currently all shouts take a standard, so that wouldn't really change much. I'm also not sure how much it would change even if there were ones that where different. You spend a move to shout, then have to wait a standard... so you just use it next round? thats not really a cooldown.
only accessing the first word at the first circle and such would add an advancement to it, but it still doesn't help that some shouts are simply more powerful. I'm thinking each word(or maybe just each shout) would have a minimum circle requirement.
One thing I was considering is making the action dependent on the number of words you say. For instance, maybe you can say 1 as a swift, 2 as a move, and 3 as a standard. The numbers would probably need tweaked for that, so the initial shouts are weaker. Also limit yourself to 1 shout per round.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 09:15:15 PM »
I added in the varying action cost, tweaked some of the powers to compensate, and added on some minimum circle requirements. I'm sure this still needs tweaking, so please comment.

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 09:17:43 PM »

Shout System:

Each circle, you can learn 3 new words
You must know the previous word in a thuum to learn the next one, but you can learn multiple words from the same thuum at the same circle
You can say one word of a shout as a swift actin, 2 words as a move, or 3 words as a standard
The key attribute modifier for this track is any con.
Any saves are 10+1/2 level + CON.
All shouts are a supernatural ability that requires a standard action to use. You must wait at least 1 round in between using shouts

You said right there that shorter shouts take less time.

That was the point. The weaker shouts have less cooldown, so a second-level shout prevents movement that turn. Effects from shouts wouldn't stack but merely refresh, encouraging players to use a variety.

I can definitely see making certain shouts require higher circles to access at all or certain words of.

EDIT: And now you repeated yourself about the # of words differing in action cost.

EDIT2: The circle requirements seem to be a good starting point, though further tweaking might be better handled through playtesting.
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

My friend just shared this: "Remember that time Gandalf convinced the whole party to flee so that he could take out the Balrog and not have to share any of the XP? Shows up the next session with fancy new robes and everything. What a jerk."

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 09:23:51 PM »
Sorry, I had gotten mixed up with what version I posted.
My point about the cooldown is that a cooldown of less than a round doesn't make much sense.

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 09:36:15 PM »
No problem.

What if the cooldown was a full round for the highest level shout you had and scaled down from there. That way you'd still have a long cooldown initially, but the first-level version of your shout would be a pittance once you had access to the third level.
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 09:40:32 PM »
No problem.

What if the cooldown was a full round for the highest level shout you had and scaled down from there. That way you'd still have a long cooldown initially, but the first-level version of your shout would be a pittance once you had access to the third level.
I don't want to allow multiple shouts within the same round, so the shortest cooldown would be until next round. not being able  to use the shout the round after may be fine, but a 2 round cooldown is excessive. The action economy implications of the different wordings should be enough to encourage a variety of uses.

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 09:44:36 PM »
Okay, so what if the variable cooldown penalties applied to the rest of that turn and your next turn?
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

Flickerdart

• Bathtub Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Minion
  • Problem Solver RoC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 10:01:11 PM »
Really? Swift-action etherealness has no circle prerequisite?

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 10:07:17 PM »
But it would have at least a 1 turn cooldown. So you can only spend half of your time being ethereal. Anyway, the circle thresholds will surely require tweaking.
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2012, 10:07:35 PM »
That one was meant to, not sure I how missed it. It was one of the ones that stood out as needing it from the start.

Narsis

• Elite
  • Pirate Robot Ninja Dragon
  • Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2012, 10:11:50 PM »

i agree.  other tracks that get etherealness get it at circle 4 or higher and are limited on the total amount of time per scene. 

additionally the short time spent [Ethereal] allows abuse.  move+standard then shout as swift.  at start of your next turn [Ethereal] wears off, move+standard then shout as swift again.

a cooldown would help, but only that instead of it requiring a swift, the person could bump it up to a move and essentially do the same thing (combat would just be slower).
Awesome Legend pally avatar by Prime32