Author Topic: Pacific Rim  (Read 3764 times)

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Pacific Rim
« on: July 14, 2013, 02:59:19 PM »
First off, the movie is great, go see it.

Spoiler
I had gone to see it with the sole expectation of seeing some awesome giant robot battles. And it delivered, but the movie was good beyond that. It had a compelling narrative and good characters, and it worked for more than a delivery mechanism for giant robot battles.

I was pleased with how the trailers worked.  I had expected the story to be about the creation of the Jaeger program, the monsters first coming through, etc. However, that was basically  the premise handed to you in the first moments of the movie, as well as what the trailers told you. The trailer therefore managed to tell you why you should see the movie without giving you any extra information beyond what the movie itself establishes in the beginning.

The soundtrack was also really awesome, and worked perfectly to punctuate a moment of awesome.
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

Vicerious

• Minion
  • Foolish Mortal
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Pacific Rim
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 03:40:15 PM »
Spoiler
While I agree that the movie's robot vs monster battles were awesome, I must disagree and say that the rest of the movie was pretty stupid.  It was my impression that this movie did not, in fact, have any characters, but instead a collection of talking cardboard cutouts.  None of the characters have any depth beyond "hates kaiju," "is a jerkass," or "is a jerkass who hates kaiju."

Even for the characters who have issues that are resolved, those issues are either resolved immediately without effort (the jerkass pilot suddenly becoming respectful before the final battle) or are resolved by simply ignoring them (such as the female lead's childhood trauma issues never being mentioned again after a throwaway scene where she has a breakdown).  In fact, after that moment, the female lead's lines practically dry up, and she becomes little more than a piece of scenery.

The pilots of the other jaegers, are interesting to look at (especially the Russians) but were very disappointing in the end.  The Chinese team has a unique, three-armed mech with a supposedly unique fighting style which we never get to see as the arms are disabled (and the team killed) shortly after the technique's name is called out.  The Russian team fairs a tiny bit better in the screen-time department, but they fall flat as characters.  The male Russian pilot, in fact, doesn't even have any lines, while the female's entire dialog consists of combat orders. Then they die.

The scientist characters I found to be particularly grating.  The biologist is supposed to come across as "adorkable," I guess, but he's really just obnoxious and incredibly self-involved - going so far as to effuse over how cool the kaiju are to a jaeger pilot who lost his brother to a kaiju attack, and to protest loudly and petulantly when his plan is passed over for a different one.  When you create a nerdy character for whom I wish a swift death, you've screwed up.  The other scientist, a mathematician of some sort, is again a repugnant, self-absorbed jerk whose entire contribution as a researcher is the ability to do arithmetic and basic pattern recognition.

On perhaps a more personal, rant-y, note, I found the movie's treatment of nuclear weaponry and atomic science particularly grating to the point of insulting.  When the male lead cites his mech being "analog and nuclear" as a reason for it to be resistant to an EMP weapon, I almost left the theater.  What does that even mean? Am I supposed to believe his nuclear-powered, stories-tall, mind-melding giant robot runs on vacuum tubes and transistors?  Is it an atomically-powered clockwork automaton?

I also facepalmed when, during the final confrontation, the jaeger survives total exposure to a 1.6 megaton detonation from, at most, a few hundred meters away.  Plus there's the usual stuff about how nuclear reactors cannot, by nature and design, be caused to detonate as a nuclear weapon.

I had other issues with the film's premises as well, mostly dealing with fridge logic.  The fights between the robots and monsters are great though.
"A witty saying proves nothing." --Voltaire

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 03:51:49 PM »
Spoiler
Maybe it was because I had no expectations for the rest of the movie, but none of that bothered me. I liked the scientist characters, largely because of how extreme their personalities are. The repungant, self-absorbed jerk was amusing because he was a repungent, self-absorbed jerk.

The "analogue and nuclear" bit was really weird, I admit.

It wasn't a masterpiece, but I found it throughly entertaining from start to finish.

gkathellar

• Tactician
  • Global Moderator
  • Ace
  • My right hand was thunder, and my left was stone
  • Scroll of Scribes RoC Staff Dungeon Delver Eye of Seeing Dev Team Art Aficionado Magic 8-Ball
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 06:33:05 PM »
I loved it. The characters lack complexity, but in an archetypal sort of way, where you can understand them with a look and a few lines of dialogue. They're not compelling as people, but they add force and meaning to the narrative through their presence. The fight scenes were memorable and balletic, and I spent every moment of them excited. The monsters were well-designed, as were the mechs, and the visuals were powerfully done and displayed del Toro's characteristic for artistic presentation and visual mirroring. Is the movie dumb? Yeah, but it's dumb in a smart, practiced way that knows what it's doing, and it's fun.

Also, the film features gratuitous amounts of friendship. SO MUCH FRIENDSHIP.

And then the friendship is used to power giant robots.

Spoiler
I also actually feel like the characters develop pretty smoothly and organically throughout the film, and the concept of the Drift is a really big part of that. This is a movie about giant robots, giant monsters, and friendship, so most of the development takes place through friendship and the feelings surrounding one's friends being at risk (from giant monsters while inside giant robots). Rally and Mako in particular set into this really nice rhythm where you're constantly aware of their combined presence.
Seven is the Number of Legend.
This is my mod voice.

KyleJ

• Paladin
  • Elite
  • Maker of Cool Stuff
  • Typo Hammer Eye of Seeing Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 01:37:01 PM »
Pacific Rim is big, dumb, loud, cheesy, and the most fun I've had at the movies all year.
Remember, the rules exist to facilitate the game, not the other way around.

Alternative OFFICIAL Character Sheet
GM Screen (OUTDATED)
Quickstart Sheet
Mook Quicksheets

IF YOU WANT ME TO SEE SOMETHING QUICKLY, PM ME. I don't check this forum regularly.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2013, 01:28:17 AM »
I came across this review, which I found very interesting
http://stormingtheivorytower.blogspot.com/2013/07/the-visual-intelligence-of-pacific-rim.html
I think it explains why I got so much out of it in areas other people described as boring.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards

Castodas

• Ace
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 08:10:38 PM »
Well i finally read it. It was good; I'll be honest though, while watching the movie I didn't take notice of the blue in Mako's hair- I guess I've gotten to used to cinematic females dying their hair. However, I'm far from being one that thought the movie was dumb and i thought the concept for the mind drift to be pretty sweet- however, slightly dissapointed, AT FIRST, when i found out that driving one of those robots required two people.
I found the entire movie to be incredibly entertaining and I feel like the characters acted in the only way they could have under their own individual circumstances. I don't really understand the questioning of depth based on how many lines a certain character has. I mean, a movie only has so much time to open up all the layers and still complete the movie with at least some level of satisfaction- and I for one really enjoyed the Jaeger/Kaiju battles.  Especially that one Kaiju- which I won't mention for the sake of not spoiling too much- that really surprised me.

Lineikosen

• Mook
  • 3D Exterior Modeling
    • View Profile
    • 3D Exterior Modeling
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2017, 06:22:37 AM »
Ever since the 2013 debut of Pacific Rim, fans all across the pop culture spectrum have been clamoring for a sequel. But according to recent news, fans will have to wait just a little bit longer to see it.
and Pacific Rim: Uprising Release Date Delayed