Author Topic: Writers Wanted: Ruleofcool.com Articles  (Read 9959 times)

afroakuma

• Administrator
  • Elite
  • Prayer Wing Scroll of Scribes Problem Solver RoC Staff Art Aficionado Eye of Seeing Aquarius Dev Team
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Writers Wanted: Ruleofcool.com Articles
« on: July 23, 2013, 04:29:28 PM »
The main page of ruleofcool.com is going to start running more frequent articles, which means once again we're calling for contributors to create concicse, compelling, copious content for consumption.

Here are the major sections we'll be running for which contributions are sought:

Back on Track
Back on Track is an article series that takes an in-depth look at a single track, breaking it down by role, interactions, balance and any other metric you can think of to assess it. Back on Track articles prioritize official Legend content, though we'll accept the occasional homebrew assessment with prior permission and the consent of the homebrewer (don't ask permission to cover your own material.) Back on Track articles are expected to run between four to ten paragraphs depending on selected material and choice of assessment(s), though if you've got more to say we're happy to see it. Back on Track runs on Wednesdays.

The Campfire
The Campfire is the catch-all header for short stories published on the main site. Submissions can be of any nature provided they are appropriate for a PG-13 audience, and are expected to run between 500 and 1500 words (shorter or longer stories can be accepted, but stories in the target length range will receive priority). The Campfire runs on Thursdays.

Feat-ure Presentation
Feat-ure Presentation is an article series that explores Legend's feats, comparing them to other available suggestions, finding build roles for them and otherwise giving a thorough look at the character-building role of feats in the game. Feat-ure Presentation articles prioritize official Legend content, though we'll accept the occasional homebrew assessment with prior permission and the consent of the homebrewer (don't ask permission to cover your own material.) Feat-ure Presentation articles are expected to run between two to four paragraphs depending on selected material and choice of assessment(s), though if you've got more to say we're happy to see it. Feat-ure Presentation runs on Wednesdays.

Local Flavor
Local Flavor is an article series that involves reflavoring ("refluffing") existing Legend material; essentially taking what's there in the rules, stripping out the current genre and tone and replacing it with something else mechanically fitting. Local Flavor articles are expected to run between two to six paragraphs depending on selected material, though if you've got the ideas we're always open to more. Local Flavor runs on Tuesdays.

Monster Makers
Monster Makers is an article series which provides prestatted NPCs/monsters for others to use. Submissions will be expected to provide all information required to run the NPC/monster, though format is not (currently) a concern as long as it's clear and legible. Monster Makers articles are expected to run one to four paragraphs apart from the statblock (longer submissions will be permitted on a case-by-case basis). Monster Makers runs on Thursdays.

Other article ideas not covered above can also be submitted and will be reviewed for inclusion. Article submissions not conforming to any of the above will run on Thursdays.

This thread can be used to discuss article ideas and collaborate with other writers, but completed articles should be submitted via personal message to VertigoCharades or afroakuma.

Don Jentleman

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Writers Wanted: Ruleofcool.com Articles
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 05:15:14 PM »
I could almost see myself writing a few articles for Feat-ure Presentation, although I could also see myself writing more than 4 paragraphs for each article...

In any case, for those who are interested, when should we start writing? ASAP? I have a few ideas forming in my head, and if I feel compelled enough, I could have an article for next Wednesday.

afroakuma

• Administrator
  • Elite
  • Prayer Wing Scroll of Scribes Problem Solver RoC Staff Art Aficionado Eye of Seeing Aquarius Dev Team
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 05:38:43 PM »
ASAP indeed.

Regitnui

• Elite
  • Father of the Four
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 02:45:10 AM »
Consider the Campfire taken. I don't know much about the Legend settings (Have read what's on ruleofcool.com's bonus page) but I love writing short stories!
Sebrica - The House of Corners
A Homebrew Campaign Setting

Psyga315

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 08:55:13 PM »
Now, could anyone partake in sending articles? Would it be for certain kinds of articles? I might consider contributing to Campfire, but I have the same concern that Regitnui has.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 11:14:27 PM »
should we state if we are submitting a track for Back on Track? It seems desirable not to have people doing the same track,  unless you want to get different takes on it.
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

afroakuma

• Administrator
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 11:26:57 PM »
This thread can be used to discuss article ideas

So yeah, that would be good.  :P

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 11:46:12 PM »
I am converting my elemental guide into a short series for Back on Track, featuring the 4 elemental tracks. I won't  cover all of the various elemental combinations and the other things in the guide.
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

Regitnui

• Elite
  • Father of the Four
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 12:32:59 AM »
Psyga, depending how accomodating the mods are or how far the setting guides are along, we have two choices: if in the case of accomodating mods, we make up small connective details that could find themselves in the books, or if the setting guides are far along, we nag the mods for an exclusive look so we can hint at the awesomeness they've prepared.

I suspect they'll go for the former option.

afroakuma

• Administrator
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, 12:50:52 AM »
Regitnui, Psyga, I would direct your attention to the following:

Submissions can be of any nature

You can write noir or cyberpunk or historical fiction or a coming-of-age gangland Chicago sports story if you like.

Regitnui

• Elite
  • Father of the Four
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, 01:47:42 AM »
So I can occasionally submit stories set in my Homebrew universe?

Faceless Fox

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2013, 01:53:14 AM »
I could do a back on track for the vigilante track. It's my favorite track in the game as it did such a good job depicting Kamen Rider. Or power rangers. I wasn't too sure which one of the too you were trying to get at. Hopefully Kamen Rider.

Edit: If I were to do a short story for the campfire edition, could it be a series thing, or it would need to be a start to end type of thing?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 02:06:21 AM by Faceless Fox »
"So you're telling me this Warhammer of Cure Moderate Wounds doesn't work!?"

Wayson Harris

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2013, 05:08:28 AM »
Meh. Kamen rider has much to be desired. Seems more like Batman to me. That would probably be under local flavor if you wanted to describe the track abilities.

Narsis

• Elite
  • Pirate Robot Ninja Dragon
  • Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2013, 12:42:45 PM »
Heh seems like the two tracks I was thinking of doing a Back on Track for both (Earth Elemental and Vigilante) got picked already. XD

BTW for that Monster Makers series, have you considered using some of the monsters/NPCs already fleshed out here on the forums?
Awesome Legend pally avatar by Prime32

afroakuma

• Administrator
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2013, 12:45:23 PM »
Need them submitted by the above standards.