Author Topic: Melee Range  (Read 2540 times)

Faceless Fox

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Melee Range
« on: August 04, 2013, 06:17:38 PM »
So, My group is having some hard times fluffing out the increase range to peoples melee as they level, I understand it's meant for a balance issue, but it still doesn't make any sense in game, can some one explain melee range in more detail please? Thanks in advance :)
"So you're telling me this Warhammer of Cure Moderate Wounds doesn't work!?"

Madwand

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Melee Range
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 06:38:38 PM »
As I understand it, increased melee range is required for balance reasons at higher levels. You can fluff the reason why your PC has increased melee range any way you want. My PC uses her telekinetic powers to wield her weapons at a distance, but maybe yours just moves super fast in this small area of territory he controls, or attaches a chain to his weapon, or has eaten gummi fruit, or his weapons are enchanted to be "dancing". It's up to you.

Metool

• Rogue
  • Elite
  • You ever lose hope?
  • Eye of Seeing Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 07:04:09 PM »
DragoonWraith did a good bit on this, in one of the other many threads on the topic.

If you look around a bit, a lot has been written on this subject. In fact, I'm a little surprised our veteran posters didn't link you to any of it.

It's not any more unrealistic, really, than the abstraction of the five-foot square to begin with. No human being actually takes up a five-foot square space: that is an abstraction that represents all of the little movements, feinting, and so on, that happen during a fight. The five-foot square is the space the warrior needs to operate in to be "unhindered" by his environment, and it is his "area of control" that other creatures cannot enter.

The expanding melee range can represent partially expanding this "area of control:" these are squares that he threatens, with lunges and the like, and can manuever in. Moving, then, becomes a lot about moving this area of control, and unlike operating within it, attempting to recenter yourself in the fight is riskier and provokes. In Legend, warriors become exceptionally skilled and powerful, so that area becomes quite large, but even in real life you see this to a certain degree.

Now, I'll be the first to admit that there are occasionally some problems with this explanation for melee. Sometimes it's a bit weird if it extends past a pit or dangerous squares or what have you. But those are corner cases, and Legend is definitely and unashamedly a gamist system: it accepts minor departures from reality or verisimilitude for the sake of gameplay, be it balance or ease of play.

And, of course, Legend doesn't require you to understand melee reach that way. If you want your character to have Dhalsim-esque stretchy limbs, or air-pressure blasts a la Aang, that's totally cool too.

Consider, as well, that move speed scales in Legend, so why couldn't distance covered when making an attack?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 07:19:16 PM by Metool »
"Honestly, I don't know if this non-core option is 1.0-ready"

No, it isn't. It may be updated at some point but it isn't 1.0-ready, which is why it isn't in 1.0. Anything that isn't in the 1.0 core rulebook should be treated as not being 1.0 compliant and used with caution if at all.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 09:04:54 PM »
the "default" explanation is that melee ranges are an abstraction.  your 5ft square is the zone you control completely, and your melee range is the area you dominate partially, moving around and patrolling it, darting out to strike at people, etc, but you can use whatever explanation best fits your character
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

Exelixi

• Barbarian
  • Ace
  • Dwarfs can do lots of stuff. Like dig.
  • Contest Champion Dungeon Delver Eye of Seeing
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 06:42:50 AM »
The great thing about open fluff is that it's, well, open fluff. You can come up with a default explanation for this for the setting you're using, or you could let individual characters do it differently, or both.

The most obvious explanation is that characters in high-level Legend are darting around at superhuman speed- reflected by the fact that a character built for speed can go from standing still to running faster than a Jaguar in a split second, just by doing the movement speed maths. The square characters 'occupy' is actually just the space they have the most control over, i.e., the one they will jump back to when an exchange of blows ends.

Another explanation, and remember they are not mutually exclusive, is that higher level Legend characters can wield anime-style gigantic swords. I find this to be awesome, but only capable of stretching so far, so I tend to blend it with the above explanation.
http://www.ruleofcool.com/smf/index.php/topic,1185.0.html - A point-buy chassis (class) system. Perfectly balanced by the judicious application of SCIENCE!

""Release your inner dwarf.  Then get him some ale!" -EspyLacopa
"I have no idea what Exelixi looks like. I just picture crow feathers and a claymore." -Fro

DragoonWraith

• Sage
  • Global Moderator
  • Elite
  • Typo Hammer Ballot Box Eye of Seeing Dev Team Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • DragoonWraith.com
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 09:10:58 AM »
I have addressed this question at length here (it's easier to keep track of that question than it is a forum thread, though I have done that as well).

The short answer is, there are a lot of potential reasons for increased melee range, and every character is welcome to fluff it differently if they like. However, the fluff that is perhaps most widely-applicable across many characters is to consider the five-foot square that is a character's "space." Humanoids do not have anything like a five-foot-square footprint. Instead, that space is the area of control within the fight: it is the area that they can prevent others from entering and within which they can move, dodge, reposition, and so on freely. In reality, the person would be moving around a great deal within that square. Now consider that, at the superhuman skill levels that high-level characters reach, they can partially extend this area of control: they can't prevent others from entering those squares, but they can move, themselves, freely within them to make attacks. This is their larger reach.
Legend contributions: As Above, So Below (rewrite); Reap the Whirlwind, A Personal Touch, Kept Secret, Kept Safe (Professional Soldier); Combat Alchemist (extra track)