Author Topic: What builds are good at PvP?  (Read 2485 times)

Machine Gun Batman

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
What builds are good at PvP?
« on: August 19, 2013, 01:14:49 PM »
As the title says. What kind of builds are good in a PvP scenario, à la Test of Spite? Assuming equal level and a neutral playing field.

Madwand

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: What builds are good at PvP?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 01:36:46 PM »
I am also curious about this, though I'd like to add that I'm interested in builds at all levels, not just 20th level.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 02:21:17 PM »
You want to avoid part-based abilities, like tactical insight. You also need to be able to deal high single-target damage, not multi-target.
Defenses that work a limited number of times per round are more effective, as it is harder for 1 guy to overwhelm them.
Action denial is very effective, esp. if you can get it without slowing down your own offense, such as with smiting or reign of arrows
taking multiple rounds to warm up is generally bad, as you don't have anyone else to absorb aggro.
You need defenses against these things. Action denial immunities are important due to how strongly they will shut down your entire side( i.e. you).
You need to avoid major weaknesses, like not being able to deal with invisibility/stealth
Spellcasting is generally hard to do, as you don't get to spread the benefits of buffs amongst your party, nor do you have people to take advantage of tactical advantages. Being able to both establish such advantages and exploit them effectively is hard.
SLA tracks tend to be about multi-target effects, so they tend to be less effective.
Surge effects like just blade, spellstoring, or incantation can be a way to use them effectively.
You need good mobility, or the ability to counter high mobility. If the opponent can simply dart around at long range and shut you down, then you have a problem.

At high levels, defensive abilities are very important. Being able to ignore a round of damage can negate your opponent's bigger attacks, and buy you time to do things yourself. Auto-res abilities can double or triple (or even quadruple, though you are probably seriously weak offensively at that point) your health, but you have to deal with them in turn.
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

Roboyoshi15

• Mook
  • Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 11:34:28 PM »
Utter Brute (Attacker+Striker)/Fire Elemental/Vigilante

Enchant your natural weapon with Flesheater

Burn multiple foes at a distance, then hit a foe with your Brutal Kick that also burns them. Depending on your level, you may prevent them from putting out their burning. It'll suck when you face another fire elemental, but what are the chances of that?   

Mura

• Rogue
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 01:26:47 PM »
Basically, I back what Mystify said. Go for single-target DPS; don't be afraid of using your [Scene] and [Encounter] abilities; either be fast or have long-ranged attacking options.