Author Topic: Legend Academy(Sigil PrepxRWBY) PBP General Discussion thread  (Read 87955 times)

Don Jentleman

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Legend Academy(Sigil PrepxRWBY) PBP Interest check
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2013, 02:28:07 PM »
I'm actually thinking of making a Necromancer/Demon/Knowing character. The only thing I'm worried about is dealing enough damage/disruption to be considered worthwhile, although it will make a great social character.

Qazarar

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2013, 07:35:28 PM »
I might add full buy in for arcane secrets to add some versatility.

Don Jentleman

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2013, 07:41:55 PM »
If you want versatility, then why don't you grab the Tactician Spells track instead? Ranger naturally has Int as a KDM, and it gives far more flexibility than Arcane Secrets with it's multitude of buffs and supplementary spells.

Qazarar

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2013, 08:30:36 PM »
Perhaps. I haven't really decided yet. I just plan to add a little magic to an otherwise martial character to give a few extra options.

munchlord

• Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2013, 08:42:11 PM »
Since a lot of people wanna know what's up before making chars themselves, I figure I'll type up a blurp for each of the characters I'm considering, as well as their build and general mechanics purpose.

Amalia: Apprentice and foster daugther to an old hermit druid who's come to the city and academy to learn more and to fly from the nest, so to speak, Amalia is ignorant of most things pertaining to city life, including the particulars of the concept of 'Money'. She's outgoing and open minded though with a slight tendency to naivity. Her magic focuses on plants for the most part. Build is Verdant/Mechanist Savant (reflavor)/Arcane Secrets (if Verdant doesn't get approved, I'm not sure I'll be able to build her to my satisfaction) with a strong focus on utility and support. She probably won't be killing things much, but she is likely to make enemies easier to kill and allies harder to hurt.

Arcath d'Cardin: young, intelligent and ambitious magitech expert. He uses rune-based magitech and he is turning himself into a magitech creation via writing said runes on his skin, turning his insides into a construct while leaving himself looking mostly like a heavily tattooed human. He is fairly cold and calculating, with good intentions but a willingness to adopt questionable means to get there and some rather unorthodox ideas from time to time. Build is Mechanist Savant/Sentient Construct/Elementalist (or Crazed Inventor if it is approved). The build is supposed to mostly focus on damage, though it gets some support on the side from Mechanist Savant and utility on the side of Inventor is approved.

Nathan Reaver: Once in a while, things just go horribly wrong. Nate is one such example, a soul predisposed towards kindness being born a devil. After being exiled from Hell for being too nice, he's come to the Academy hoping to find a place to belong. Build is Just Blade/Elementalist/Serpent Discipline/Judgement off of the Paladin chassis. The purpose is a mixed damage Bruiser, powering elemental blasts into his grim heritor and smacking people over the head with fire and brimstone. He is mainly designed as an offensive character, with the judgement immunities and such primarily there to give him some inevitability (and also, flavor!!)

Naur d'Cardin: Naur is a cheery, energetic and somewhat erratic girl with an always positive approach to life. She is very outgoing. Beside her considerable talent for wind magic, she cheerleads as a hobby and a way to stay in shape when not fighting stuff. Build is Just Blade/Air Elemental/Acrobatic Adept (though it may be subject to change) and the main purpose of it is to make positioning hell for the enemy by slowing things with gust and throwing people around with mental thrust. She'll also soon come into reasonable amounts of AoE damage with gust when that option opens.

Victoria d'Cardin: Victoria is Naur's sister and she's considerably more serious and studious to say the least. She's still open to other people, and can be very playful in her own way, but her approach is vastly different. She is a talented Telekinetic. Build is Serpent Discipline/Crane Discipline/Earth Elemental and this is obviously very reflavored, with it all mechanically being telekinesis instead of martial arts and earth/gravity magic. This is pending a small for the sake of flavor mechanics change I $noted Greybender about in chat, but I can make it work without it.... I think. Though I suspect she has the potential to deal quite a bit of damage as well, her main purpose is disruption, using combat maneuvers and her speed to throw people around left right and center. In a level, she will be making melee attacks, and hence combat maneuvers, out to [Close] range, giving her disruption a considerable range.

Zaccarias Caine: Zack is a musician in peaceful surroundings and a musician in combat, more specifically a swords dancer. He uses rythm, timing and a touch of magic to speed across the battlefield, slashing foes to pieces and invoking sound-based powers as his dance builds to crescendo. Beyond that, he's a party dude and a bit of a ladies man, though a good half of his flirtatiousness is just jokes. He's got a considerable love for alcohol as well, and will do his utmost to attend ALL the frat parties. Build is Swashbuckler/Escoterica Radica/Iron Magi and the main focus is mobility and damage output.

Castodas

• Ace
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2013, 10:17:14 PM »
So I watched the rest of the trailers and the first episode.
First I want to say that the red and the yellow girl are probably my favorites, kind of leaning towards yellow.
Second, the white girl's trailer reminded me of that movie "sucker punch" though I hope her background isn't so dark.

Thanks Munchlord, I'm basically seeing that there really aren't any restrictions to the character design concept. So now I'm more comfortable with this.

I'll begin seriously thinking about what I will be doing.
However, I have a couple more questions:
First, our character's need to find a curriculum based on the Sigil web pages right?

Second, so I'm not getting any wrong ideas, our characters can have any background we come up with? Can I establish my own realm for my character to come from? What would you require from us if you let us do that?

Third, looking at the Sigil pages, the setting sounds like typical D&D fantasy; but RWBY looks like a more futuristic/steam-punk setting.  So can you please explain the setting a bit further?

Unit001

• Minion
  • The good kind of evil
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2013, 11:34:16 PM »
I prefer White, she's the only one who doesn't use a gun of some kind.

My character is a warforged created by the Lord of Blades using his repaired creation forge in the Mournlands.  Unit001 was basically a prototype, a test bed for various systems, and as such his skills are fairly diverse.  He can deploy traps, has built-in weapons, excels athletically and has a strong superiority complex.  It's not that there's anything wrong with being organic, but he's just better than you.  He also has to get a complete cleaning every week or so, because you meatbags are so dirty.

Castodas

• Ace
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2013, 11:51:20 PM »
I guess that is why I lean towards Yellow. Yeah, she uses guns but the martial aspect of them is very appealing to me; and as much as I like swords, for some reason smash and bash gives me good feelings.

Unit001

• Minion
  • The good kind of evil
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2013, 12:04:34 AM »
From the show itself, I like Phyrra.  Sword/gun/spear plus shield equals awesome.

St. Salieri

• Minion
  • Typo Hammer Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2013, 12:22:11 AM »
I want you in my group.

I certainly wouldn't object to that; thank you for the support! ("Melting Pot of Friendship," indeed.)  :)

Following munchlord's example, a bit more about the character I'm planning on:

Spoiler
Roland LastNameToBeDetermined (I'm rubbish at naming characters  :-[)
Human Sage (Arcane Secrets / Just Blade / Vigilante)
Trained Skills: Acrobatics, Arcana, Athletics, Engineering, Perception, Vigor
Notable Feats: Blacksmith, Safekeeper Adept
Combat Style: Melee attacks, some control/debuffing via Arcane Secrets

Roland is the latest in a moderately famous family of inventors. While he enjoys magical engineering, he dreams of using his skills in a more direct fashion: namely, hunting monsters. His technical skills are well developed (he designed and built most of his equipment--including his signature weapon, armor, and "mount"--himself), but he has relatively little combat experience. Somewhat shy and reserved by nature, he has come to Sigil Prep/Beacon Academy to prove to his family--and himself--that he has what it takes to fight the Good Fight.

Qazarar

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2013, 12:54:01 AM »
Yeah, I think I'll take Don's suggestion. Ranger  with Reign of Arrows, Battle's Tempering, Acrobatic Adept, and Tactician Spellcasting. Overall, the quick and accurate gunlsinger with a few tricks up her sleeve. And when I say a few tricks, I mean more utility magic than most wizards. I have a bit of a personality concept worked out, but I need to hammer out the details.

Unit001

• Minion
  • The good kind of evil
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2013, 01:01:06 AM »
Unit's a Ranger/Sentient Construct, with Professional Soldier, Vigilante and Heavy Weapons.  He's sort-of Athletics focused skill wise but has Arcana and Engineering.  In combat he's pretty balanced between range and melee and has a few extra senses thanks to SC.  He's intended to be mobile and use ranged combat and traps as much as he can, but can hold his own in melee. 

Rokku

• Minion
  • Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2013, 02:11:02 AM »
I don't have a name yet, but I'm going to make a derpy goth chick.  A nice girl who had an encounter with a cursed artifact (specifically, a knitting needle) and now she's Just Blade/Lich/Necromancer.  The cursed needle will of course be her Grim Heritor.

Castodas

• Ace
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2013, 02:33:59 AM »
Ok, I think I have my basic theme down. A heavily implanted creature with a strong affinity towards fire.

Let me know if I'm not doing this right:
'Utter Brute' racial with 'Ranger's Battle's Tempering' Multi-classed with 'Fire elemental' and FBI 'Sentient Construct'.

I swear one of these days building a character will be a breeze for me. Let me know if what I came up with is impossible. I think action slots are distributed well enough; lots of passive abilities. I almost went with Elementalist.

I'll go deeper into this concept if I get no arguments.

Metool

• Rogue
  • Elite
  • You ever lose hope?
  • Eye of Seeing Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2013, 02:44:31 AM »
Three questions, Greybender.

Can I use Ego Check?
Can I use revised versions of published content provided they're official reworks?
How do you like lasagna rolls?
"Honestly, I don't know if this non-core option is 1.0-ready"

No, it isn't. It may be updated at some point but it isn't 1.0-ready, which is why it isn't in 1.0. Anything that isn't in the 1.0 core rulebook should be treated as not being 1.0 compliant and used with caution if at all.