Author Topic: Track selection help  (Read 5975 times)

DragoonWraith

• Sage
  • Global Moderator
  • Elite
  • Typo Hammer Ballot Box Eye of Seeing Art Aficionado Dev Team
    • View Profile
    • DragoonWraith.com
    • Awards
Re: Track selection help
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2013, 12:11:34 AM »
That is very interesting. (I personally would have guessed that the most common would be saying "screw Guild Initiation, just take the tracks you want," but what do I know?)
The requirement of Guild Initiation for Mech. Savant and Knight was removed in 1.0. Unless you mean multiclassing twice for free, which is pretty common but it's a much more significant change than just swapping orders.

Are you comfortable telling us what choices cause problems, or at least some idea of what kind of problems arise?
No, I don't feel comfortable because I'd probably get it wrong.
Legend contributions: As Above, So Below (rewrite); Reap the Whirlwind, A Personal Touch, Kept Secret, Kept Safe (Professional Soldier); Combat Alchemist (extra track)

Spellsnare

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2013, 01:31:40 AM »
It's being forced FBI b/c he wants to run a low magic item campaign. He already took issue with me using shaman's path to pretty much be a shaman with no "shaman" tracks so I don't think I'll push him on it.

Zaq

• Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2013, 01:57:54 AM »
It's being forced FBI b/c he wants to run a low magic item campaign. He already took issue with me using shaman's path to pretty much be a shaman with no "shaman" tracks so I don't think I'll push him on it.

The point is that magic items don't have to be magic items. When you get down to it, it's just "this many abilities, chosen from this list, progressing at this rate." They're basically like feats (one character levels up and takes the feat Daggerstorm, and one levels up and takes the item Ironshod Staff. The powers they gain aren't identical, but can you give me a good reason why the staff has to be a physical item held by the character and the feat doesn't?), just with their own progression. It's rare for me to think of any magic item as actually being an item, or at least not the fluff that's hinted at in the text. There are a few exceptions, but personally, I don't think of every character with a True Symbol as having a slick magic tattoo, I don't think someone with a Rime Wand is clutching a physical wand in addition to whatever weapon/implement/whatever I envisioned them with, and I sure as hell don't think of everyone with a magic shield actually wielding a shield. Places of power are even worse; the snapshots of fluff are neat and I actually really like them in a vacuum, but if I pick up Endless Pit at level up, I don't imagine that the group dropped what they were doing and journeyed to some magical canyon in the time between sessions. They don't take up a certain body slot or a certain number of hands, they don't translate into something that can be bought or sold or stolen, and they're not really expected to be found in treasure chests or on the corpses of your foes. They're just numbers and abilities.

But I'm preaching to the choir here. You know this already, and your GM is the one who needs convincing. But he's your friend (or at least your gaming buddy), not mine, and if you know he wouldn't be receptive to this argument, I know better than to tell you otherwise. There are some folks I game with who would listen to me about this sort of thing, but there are some who wouldn't, and I'm sure you know which one your GM is.

(That said, why get hung up on Shaman's Path being used to glue together three tracks that otherwise couldn't be? That's the best thing you can do with it! I really disliked SP and thought it felt like a band-aid instead of a good design decision, until I realized that it's the only way to combine three classless tracks. Now I still think it's weird in the face of every other class, but since I found a use for it, it bothers me a hell of a lot less.)
I do verb now and again, but gerunding is my real passion.

Narsis

• Elite
  • Pirate Robot Ninja Dragon
  • Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2013, 11:22:17 AM »

well if you are stuck going FBI I would recommend a somewhat more passive track for your fourth.  preferably something defensive (cause even with a tank you are gonna get targeted at some point).  Path of the Ancestors might be a good choice since you get some initiative/acting quickly type stuff as well as free Vigor (which means tasty TMP HP and removing conditions on yourself and such which is very useful once you start taking [Hp reduction] from Chirguic Poet).  Dragon may also be a cool option since it gets you a bunch of extra HP to spend on [Hp reduction] if you need to.  another option (although less defensive) would be, since you already are going Assassin, to make it a Rogue and grab Esoterica Radica (which is a pretty sweet track...especially once you hit 4th circle).
Awesome Legend pally avatar by Prime32

DragoonWraith

• Sage
  • Global Moderator
  • Elite
  • Typo Hammer Ballot Box Eye of Seeing Art Aficionado Dev Team
    • View Profile
    • DragoonWraith.com
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2013, 02:08:57 PM »
I'd really encourage your DM to try heading over to #Legend to discuss his goals for the game. As Zaq and I are saying, his rule does not do what he seems to think it does.
Legend contributions: As Above, So Below (rewrite); Reap the Whirlwind, A Personal Touch, Kept Secret, Kept Safe (Professional Soldier); Combat Alchemist (extra track)