Author Topic: Just blade guide - 1.0  (Read 13149 times)

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Just blade guide - 1.0
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2013, 05:27:07 PM »
I just checked, and I didn't see any more prohibition against channeling Incantation. Unless I'm overlooking something embarrassingly obvious, it looks like the specific rule against channeling Incantation is no more, so that's probably worth mentioning.

(Now go ahead and make fun of me for missing where the restriction is still there, but kindly at least point out which page it's on, because I CANNOT find the damn thing.)
You are right, incantation is now viable to channel. You just can't imbue and channel in the same round. I will add it.
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

crackpotTheorist

• Shaman
  • Minion
  • Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2013, 12:42:49 AM »
False Life from the Necromancy track can probably be upgraded to gold, or at least blue, since it can no longer target others, so if you charge it, when it is activated, it will always heal yourself.

Code: [Select]
False Life:As a swift action, you can give your-self 1 temporary HP per level. These temporary HP disappear at the end of the [Scene].
Track overview (stolen from Zejety to spread the love)

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2013, 12:46:12 AM »
False Life from the Necromancy track can probably be upgraded to gold, or at least blue, since it can no longer target others, so if you charge it, when it is activated, it will always heal yourself.

Code: [Select]
False Life:As a swift action, you can give your-self 1 temporary HP per level. These temporary HP disappear at the end of the [Scene].
Its still pointless to charge, as it can be used as a swift action anyways, and I wouldn't even bother to activate it in combat ,as you can put them on outside of combat and in-combat you have better uses for your swifts

Baka Nikujaga

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2013, 11:16:55 AM »
Just thought I'd point this out...but Elemental Rift is a supernatural ability now.
"The secret to happiness is short-term, stupid self-interest."

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2013, 11:18:58 AM »
Just thought I'd point this out...but Elemental Rift is a supernatural ability now.
So it is. Thanks, I've updated the guide to reflect this.

Vicerious

• Minion
  • Foolish Mortal
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2013, 07:25:27 PM »
The damage effect from Telekinetic Scion/Strength is a supernatural ability now.

Assuming that the Grim Heritor attack replaces the melee attack made for Clutch of the Grave (lich racial feat), wouldn't that make it strictly worse raw damage than the lich's Undying Magecraft magic missile SLA? Clutch maxes out at 20d4 (50 average) while magic missile is 7*KOM (49-70, depending on KOM focus).  Plus MM has the [Revealed] rider effect and can't be reduced to below 21 damage.  The reduction stipulation makes Clutch better against [Lesser resistance] and [Resistance], but MM clearly wins against [Greater resistance].  I'm not sure if that makes Clutch worth the feat, though.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 07:45:12 PM by Vicerious »
"A witty saying proves nothing." --Voltaire

Draz

• Paladin
  • Elite
  • Typo Hammer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2013, 07:50:31 PM »
The damage effect from Telekinetic Scion/Strength is a supernatural ability now.
Telekinetic Strength is both, actually.  It still has the spell-like option clause at the end.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2013, 08:01:17 PM »
clutch of the grave is useful at lower levels before mystic focus comes online. The balance between it and magic missile varies, depending on what your stats are. Also keep in mind that while magic missile limits the damage per missile, that does nothing to protect extra damage boosts, so an arcane brutal 3 bonus is more likely to get swallowed up by resistances, wheras it would punch through on clutch.

Vicerious

• Minion
  • Foolish Mortal
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2013, 08:29:51 PM »
Telekinetic Strength is both, actually.  It still has the spell-like option clause at the end.
Oh, I see it now.  I was conflating the area effect (Su, from TK Scion and improved by TK Strength) and the single target effect (SLA, from TK Strength).  That's what I get for skimming :P  Thanks, Draz.

clutch of the grave is useful at lower levels before mystic focus comes online. The balance between it and magic missile varies, depending on what your stats are. Also keep in mind that while magic missile limits the damage per missile, that does nothing to protect extra damage boosts, so an arcane brutal 3 bonus is more likely to get swallowed up by resistances, wheras it would punch through on clutch.
I completely forgot about [Brutal] and other bonus damage effects.  In that case, TK Strength's 6x Int is probably a little bit better than Clutch for pure damage, assuming heavy KOM investment, and definitely better than MM vs [Lesser resistance] and [Resistance].  I don't know if that makes it good enough to spend 3 feats to get there - the other abilities you get from the feats may make up for it, but they're outside the scope of Mystic Focus.

On a related note, what about having [Magnum] on your Grim Heritor?  Does that appreciably change the value of magic missile? Assuming it applies per missile, and not just once.  Hmmm...  MM's effectiveness against [Greater resistance] and [Resistance] wouldn't really change, but it would get a substantial bump against [Lesser resistance], placing it about equal to Clutch at +10 KOM, but would quickly fall behind at lower KOM investment.

I understand what you mean about MM depending on stats.

"A witty saying proves nothing." --Voltaire

Mura

• Rogue
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2013, 05:36:21 PM »
Liches gain Magic Missile as an SLA at First Circle (Undying Magecraft), not Second Circle (Sorcerous Endurance) as the guide claims.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2013, 06:16:02 PM »
Liches gain Magic Missile as an SLA at First Circle (Undying Magecraft), not Second Circle (Sorcerous Endurance) as the guide claims.
Corrected