Author Topic: Combat reflexes - feat  (Read 1715 times)

jared71

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Spell Casting Guide
    • Awards
Combat reflexes - feat
« on: October 18, 2013, 12:06:51 AM »
New feat - Combat Reflexes - Gives one additional attack of opportunity per round.  You may make attacks of opportunity, even while flat footed.  Each attack of opportunity during a round, must be against different creatures.  (That prevents one creature from provoking multiple times.)

This is sort of like the 3rd circle knight - Indefatigable.   But has different restrictions and benefits.

Some other people have written on another post about this that there shouldn't be feats that give attacks that don't require an action.  This isn't just another attack though, this is an attack that might happen and there are lots of ways to avoid an attack of opp.

It's true "A song of arrows" feat can be sort of used as a substitute for this but that feat can be used on your turn simply for another attack.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 01:55:21 AM by jared71 »

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Combat reflexes - feat
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 02:12:22 AM »
This steals one of knight's iconic abilities. Knights even have to spend a move action to get their AoO, and a lot of their dynamics are centered around that.
This also adds an additional restriction to a knight who takes this.
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

Zaq

• Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 02:49:33 AM »
The general trend is that a feat should not be more powerful than a circle ability. That said, it is possible for some feats to come pretty close to what a circle ability does, so if we limit this a fair bit, I don't think it would be completely unusable. Since this is, however, one of the Knight's most key abilities, the limits are going to have to be pretty harsh. I think you'll need a minimum of two of the following:

• Make it [Iconic]. That's a really nontrivial cost for a lot of characters.
  • Make it limited in uses per [Encounter]. This is the primary way that Exit, Stage Left is limited compared to ER C3. Exit, Stage Left might be a good baseline for this: start it at once per [Encounter], and eventually increase it to twice per [Encounter], but no more than once per [Round].
  • Make it have a level prerequisite. The earliest you can get Knight C3 is level 6, so level 6 might be a good choice. If you wanted to make it have an unambiguous disadvantage compared to Knight C3, make it level 9.

Personally, I'd be okay with an [Iconic] feat that is sharply limited in uses per [Encounter] and that is worded in such a way that anyone can use it, but a Knight can use it better. If it's got enough other limitations on it, it wouldn't necessarily bother me that the Knight takes a move action and the feat doesn't, but I'd have to see the wording before making a categorical declaration about that.
I do verb now and again, but gerunding is my real passion.

jared71

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Spell Casting Guide
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 12:37:52 PM »
New feat - Combat Reflexes -  You may make attacks of opportunity, even while flat footed.  Each attack of opportunity (given from this feat and your basic attack of opp) during a round, must be against different creatures.  You may use an immediate action to active this feat, even if you are not normally able to because of flat footed.   When activated, for one round you may make two additional attacks of opportunity during that round.

Don Jentleman

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 04:03:25 PM »
The new feat now takes from both knight and path of ancestors, making this feat far more powerful than it needs to be. I'd go more with Zaq's suggestions than anything else.