Author Topic: Better evasion/hard to break  (Read 2546 times)

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Better evasion/hard to break
« on: October 14, 2013, 06:59:49 PM »
So, one common ability is evasion/hard to break, where you get to ignore the partial effects of an ability on a successful save. Which is nice, but people find it boring, and tend to avoid tracks with those abilities because of it. So, I thought I would add a little something to them to spice it up.

path of ancestors: hard to break
   Additionally, once per [Encounter] when you succeed on a fortitude or will save, you gain a +5 bonus to your next vigor check

Discipline of the dragon:
careful sun:
   Additionally, once per [Encounter] when you succeed on a fortitude or will save, as an immediate action you can cause one opponent to make that same save, and suffer any effects from failing it if they  fail the save.

reckless moon, dance:
Additionally, Once per [Encounter] when you succeed on a reflex save, you may move to another square within [Close] range

reckless moon,cloak:
   Additionally, you may use your *reckless moon, dance* ability even if you fail the reflex save

Battle's Tempering: Dive for cover
Additionally, Once per [Encounter] when you succeed on a reflex save, you become [Covered] for 1 [Round]

Acrobatic Adept, Evasion:
This ability is already doing something else

ten ninjas, ninja reflexes:
Additionally, Once per [Encounter] when you succeed on a reflex save, you may make a stealth check as an immediate action. At 6th circle, this no longer requires an action

Sentient construct: hard to break:
   Additionally, once per [Encounter] when you succeed on a fortitude or will save, your speed increases by 15ft for 1 [Round]
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 09:30:45 AM by Mystify »
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

Exelixi

• Barbarian
  • Ace
  • Dwarfs can do lots of stuff. Like dig.
  • Contest Champion Dungeon Delver Eye of Seeing
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Better evasion/hard to break
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 03:24:07 AM »
careful sun:
   Additionally, once per [Encounter] when you succeed on a fortitude or will save, as an immediate action you can cause one opponent to make that same save, and suffer any effects from failing it.

"Fort save to half your 1/Scene power."
http://www.ruleofcool.com/smf/index.php/topic,1185.0.html - A point-buy chassis (class) system. Perfectly balanced by the judicious application of SCIENCE!

""Release your inner dwarf.  Then get him some ale!" -EspyLacopa
"I have no idea what Exelixi looks like. I just picture crow feathers and a claymore." -Fro

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 09:30:05 AM »
careful sun:
   Additionally, once per [Encounter] when you succeed on a fortitude or will save, as an immediate action you can cause one opponent to make that same save, and suffer any effects from failing it.

"Fort save to half your 1/Scene power."
What do you mean by that?

Exelixi

• Barbarian
  • Ace
  • Dwarfs can do lots of stuff. Like dig.
  • Contest Champion Dungeon Delver Eye of Seeing
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 01:24:35 PM »
What I mean by that is that abilities like that are almost always overpowered. Do you remember My Name Is War? The OLD version? This is that with defensive flavour. Once per [Encounter], as an immediate action, you can take someone's strongest ability, negate it, and throw all its non-damage effects onto someone else.
http://www.ruleofcool.com/smf/index.php/topic,1185.0.html - A point-buy chassis (class) system. Perfectly balanced by the judicious application of SCIENCE!

""Release your inner dwarf.  Then get him some ale!" -EspyLacopa
"I have no idea what Exelixi looks like. I just picture crow feathers and a claymore." -Fro

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 03:00:00 PM »
This doesn't negate anything. It does end up negated, but it would be negated without this. There are no 1/[Scene] uber abilities to reflect. Most scary high level abilities are such because they target multiple things. Those extra targets still apply on their original casting, and your reflection only effects one guy. The things that are concerning are reflecting a [Stun] type effect. Also, if the ability has a partial effect on a successful save, that does not transfer, no would any effects that are independent of the save.
What if, instead, it was a save, and if they fail the save, they get hit with the partial effects of the ability? This suffers from the same drawback of the original effect in that it does nothing if the opponents don't throw out a fort/will partial effect, which is somewhat rare.

jared71

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Spell Casting Guide
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 07:34:27 PM »
I have to agree with Excelixi. 

The Discipline of the Dragon has a 1st circle and a 5th circle  save negate power.   

The 5th circle power could have a power that high and that makes it similar in power to immune to binding.  The Reckless Moon: Once per [Encounter], when you make a Reflex

The 1st circle power should have a lesser effect.  How about you become covered for one round.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 07:43:54 PM »
the fort/will doesn't have a 5th circle negate power, it gets the immunity to binding. I've already put covered on battle's tempering abilitiy.
I'm open to another ability for it