Author Topic: New Players looking for GM: Code Lyoko  (Read 38152 times)

Magnificent Q

• Mook
  • Lookit that Chin.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
New Players looking for GM: Code Lyoko
« on: December 10, 2013, 02:06:49 AM »
Hello, all.  I represent myself and one to two other friend(s) who, viewing the system, and recently coming off a nostalgia binge, find ourselves quite interested in a campaign based upon Code Lyoko.  All potentially three of us, while versed in D&D 3.5 and Pathfinder, have no practical Legend experience, so this would be our first campaign.  Thank you for showing interest.
You wa shock!

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: New Players looking for GM: Code Lyoko
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 10:56:57 AM »
I am not familiar with code lyoko so I can't help with that. I may consider doing a different campaign for you guys  if you can't find someone.
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

Magnificent Q

• Mook
  • Lookit that Chin.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 02:43:29 PM »
@Mystify:  Thanks for the interest, man.  I appreciate it.  Let's see if we can get from a bit of fishing.  And Code Lyoko's pretty good.  It's about a pseudo parallel world of computer AIs and their surrounding domain, with an evil one trying to blur the lines of it's digital and our physical world, to. . .of course, destroy the world.  The characters either try delaying tactics on the physical world to buy time for the others, or, as the others, scan into the digital world as "avatars" with unique abilities to shut down the pillars that the evil AI uses to exert its force.  Yes, reality is hackable.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 03:35:50 PM by Magnificent Q »
You wa shock!

Epsilon Rose

• Minion
  • The King of Unrest
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 08:49:01 PM »
Hey, I'm the other player. I thought it might be worth mentioning that the game doesn't need to be stringently based on the cartoon. Honestly, given our personalities and favored tactics, we'd probably just end up breaking things if we got dropped straight into the show. Someone could probably get enough from simply watching the first few episodes and/or reading Q's description to set up a game.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 01:07:10 AM »
I found that I had access to the show on hulu, so I watched the first episode. I'll need to watch more, but I can see some potential here.

Magnificent Q

• Mook
  • Lookit that Chin.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 02:41:21 AM »
@Myst:  That's awesome, man.  I hope you enjoy the show, and thanks for the interest.
You wa shock!

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 02:43:39 AM »
Are you and your friends on the same schedule, or will we have to coordinate everybody? If I do decide to do this, and I make no promises to that yet, I would want to do it in real time. So, just from a pure logistical standpoint, what times would people be available to game?

Castodas

• Ace
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 03:32:28 AM »
Wow, I didn't think I'd be logging back on here quite so soon, but if this game goes down real time count me in- I'm fed up with PbP.

Code Lyoko, now that show was interesting and i'm pleasantly surprised to see it brought up. Unfortunately for me, I never got to finish watching it... :' (
I'll definitely be up for that; but then again, I've been dying to play legend since the core book came out. So I'm hungry for anything.

If you want some help Myst, let me know. Although, it might be a week until I have access to my legend stuff.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 03:35:15 AM by Castodas »

Epsilon Rose

• Minion
  • The King of Unrest
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2013, 04:22:22 AM »
Are you and your friends on the same schedule, or will we have to coordinate everybody? If I do decide to do this, and I make no promises to that yet, I would want to do it in real time. So, just from a pure logistical standpoint, what times would people be available to game?

We're on similar enough schedules that we can coordinate ourselves if you like. We're also hoping to do this in real time and pretty much any time after noon (est) on Sundays would be ideal, but we are somewhat flexible.  There are currently 3, possibly 4 (the fourth may or may not be in), people who want to make characters.

@Castodas: Yeah, I was never able to finish it either. I'm doing a quick refresher on Amazon , but it's not like this is likely to be entirely faithful to the show (if nothing else, the shear number of explosives I intend to employ should nicely derail things)  ;D. For our part, we'd be happy to have another person playing, which ever side of the screen you're on.

Speaking of things varying from the show, I know you're fairly new to the show, but do you have any idea on how you want to run things, Mystify, both in terms of the actual setting we use and the rules of the game?

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2013, 10:00:55 AM »
That time should work fine for me.

For the setting, I want to see more of the show before I decide, the setting hasn't really been well explained yet. The concept of a virtual world appeals to me, but I want to see more before I decide exactly how to handle it.

I will be allowing homebrew, with my approval. In my signature is a link to my homebrew. the 1.0 compliant tracks will be allowed, the retired tracks will not. If you want one of the tracks that needs updated, let me know, and I will see if I want to update it for you. The manipulative feat is in, as are the extra rules.

Epsilon Rose

• Minion
  • The King of Unrest
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2013, 10:18:47 AM »
That makes sense. I should probably mention that season 1 is made of standalone, one off, episodes. With the exception of the first one and last two episodes it can be watched in any order or skipped with no consequences. This changes in later seasons. There were also a pair of prequel episodes titled Xana awakens 1 & 2 that aired between seasons 2&3. Amazon placed them at the end of season 3, but I don't know where hulu has them. I don't believe these episodes spoil anything, so you should be able to watch them at any point as well.

Spikeball

• Mook
  • Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2013, 11:18:49 AM »
This sounds interesting, I've been wanting to play another Legend game and have had good experiences with Mystify GMing.

Is scanning in a permanent thing or something you can flip between when you want to?(exiting within a week of deciding to counts)
This would probably affect the game-play mechanics the GM uses for the virtual world.

Regardless of if I can join or not I think I will start watching Code Lyoko now...

Epsilon Rose

• Minion
  • The King of Unrest
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2013, 12:45:13 PM »
You can switch back and forth, but there are restrictions. In order to get from the real world to the virtual you need to use a scanner, which is a rather large device that can't be moved. If you die in the virtual world, you automatically de-vertualize, unless you're trapped in lyoko, in which case it's actually fatal.

On a side note, if you don't mind spoilers, the wiki is definitely worth reading. Especially the page on xana.

Magnificent Q

• Mook
  • Lookit that Chin.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2013, 02:42:54 PM »
Epsilon put it quite nicely. And, of course, the scanning is one of the key aspects of Code Lyoko;  it's both how the main characters counter whatever's going on, and it leaves them vulnerable without some others in the real world running interference.  It's pretty fun to see the results.
You wa shock!

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2013, 02:57:12 PM »
Could you list which aspects of the show you consider key and definitely want to see, and which aspects you think would be cool but could do without? It will make it easier for me to figure out how to do this in a way that accomplishes what you care about.