Author Topic: New Players looking for GM: Code Lyoko  (Read 38151 times)

Epsilon Rose

• Minion
  • The King of Unrest
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: New Players looking for GM: Code Lyoko
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2013, 03:26:00 PM »
The really big things are the separated worlds, the scanners and ability for one world to affect the other.

Depending on the setting, the clandestine nature of things (i.e. we can't operate in the open [baring returns to the past] and can't really expect lots of outside help) and the school setting (especially because it gives us other things we need to deal with and limits our resources and actions) are also interesting. The difference of abilities in worlds is also interesting, though we should have some ability to fight in meat space.

Finally, if we go with a more vanilla setting, it might be worth considering banning spell-casting tracks, to keep with the more martial feel of the show (even Aelita can't throw out lightning strikes and fireballs and she's the closest thing the show has to a mage.

If you want, I could suggest a couple of basic setups, without much in the way of plot.

Magnificent Q

• Mook
  • Lookit that Chin.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2013, 03:35:13 PM »
Yeah, that's one of the limitations of the show;  despite having some fairly impressive tricks, the concept of magic or that kind of ranged arcane support hasn't appeared in any of the episodes I've seen.  Obviously, this can be easily side-stepped, but it is worth considering, especially with "what" can be considered magic in this setting.  Like, is the Ranger's "Iron Magi" magic?
You wa shock!

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2013, 03:39:01 PM »
I don't want to ban anything outright, but if you think the spellish tracks aren't as appropriate, feel free to avoid taking them. Its easier to use Legend to make characters that fi a setting than to try to limit the mechanics to force any characters made to conform. Plus, many of the tracks can be refluffed to other things that could fit. I've had a character that was, technically, 100% martial, but due to how I used and fluffed it, it looked like a spellcaster. So, I will leave it to you to make characters that you find appropriate.

I am thinking of letting each of you have 2 characters, one to operate in the virtual world and one for the real world. However, I need to see more of the show to determine what level each would be, and to see if the real version should be full  characters or not, or how much relation the abilities of one should have on the other. There are many possible ways to set it up, with many different feels to them.

I also need to see more of the time travel to figure out precisely what they are doing with it and figure out how that will relate to the game.  The first episode didn't really explain a whole lot of anything.
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

Epsilon Rose

• Minion
  • The King of Unrest
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2013, 03:48:56 PM »
I am thinking of letting each of you have 2 characters, one to operate in the virtual world and one for the real world. However, I need to see more of the show to determine what level each would be, and to see if the real version should be full  characters or not, or how much relation the abilities of one should have on the other. There are many possible ways to set it up, with many different feels to them.
The Lyoko characters seem to be roughly based on their meatspace counterparts abilities (Ulrich and Yumi both have martial-arts training and I think Ulrich has specific training with swordsmanship), but they also have additions (Odd is not a furry).

I also need to see more of the time travel to figure out precisely what they are doing with it and figure out how that will relate to the game.  The first episode didn't really explain a whole lot of anything.

Understandable. The prequel episodes explain a bit more, but the basics are fairly easy. Return to the past undoes 1 day of history, including erasing the old history from everyone's memories. The only exceptions to this are for people who have been scanned at some point (not necessarily during that day) and people who die (who, presumably, stay dead). There are also some effects concerning Xana, but those are spoilers, so I won't mention them if you don't want me to.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2013, 04:54:36 PM »
In that case, the 2 options I am considering are:

A. Your meatspace characters are low level versions of the lyoko characers
B. your meatspace characters are mooks which share a track with you lyoko characters

With option A, your lyoko versions are your normal abilities turned up to 11. with option B, your lyoko versions have your normal abilities, elevated to higher heights, and then some other abilities on top of it.

Epsilon Rose

• Minion
  • The King of Unrest
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2013, 05:00:55 PM »
I kinda like the second option better, because it means we'll have fewer crazy abilities in the real world, even when we're higher levels in Lyoko, without having to do weird level adjusting shenanigans. That said, there are some things about being a mook that should probably be adjusted (like not getting abilities to skills).

Magnificent Q

• Mook
  • Lookit that Chin.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2013, 05:08:19 PM »
For the second option, could I get a bit more in depth explanation or examples?  That being said, I can only speak for myself, but I agree with Epsilon.  I still have to concur with the final friend that we have in our group minus our new friends, who are welcome to join.
You wa shock!

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2013, 05:27:44 PM »
Good point about skills. I had not thought about that, but you would still get skills as a mook.

for mooks, you would be elite operatives, with some skills added on (I'l have to figure out how many, probably 5). The track you select will have to be one of the tracks from your full character, and the skills should be the same as well, but other than that you will stat them out independently. They will most likely be level 3.

Also, due to holiday travels, I won't be able to start running this until January. In the meantime we can iron out details, make characters, and those of us not familiar with the show can take some time to watch it.

Magnificent Q

• Mook
  • Lookit that Chin.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2013, 05:33:50 PM »
Alright.  All of that sounds pretty good.  I'll get the last member up to date, and get him to post his opinions here.
You wa shock!

Epsilon Rose

• Minion
  • The King of Unrest
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2013, 05:44:56 PM »
Sounds good. I was actually going to ask for help, because I'm not sure how to pull off what I want (and the rogue's esoteric radica vexed me).

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2013, 06:34:09 PM »
I will be happy to offer character build advice.

Epsilon Rose

• Minion
  • The King of Unrest
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2013, 06:38:32 PM »
Thank you.

Would you rather wait till you have the setting down more or would you like to start on that now?

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2013, 06:49:27 PM »
describe what you want the character to do and I'll help you figure out how to build it.

Epsilon Rose

• Minion
  • The King of Unrest
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2013, 07:10:20 PM »
Thank you.

I'm thinking of having my character be a punk/rebel type Hacker with a fondness for explosives. In Lyoko I think I'd want her serving in a both overwatch and trapper/sapper roles. For weapons, I was thinking I'd want to have her use a mortar or similar weapon, but if that's not viable I'd switch to a shotgun and eliminate her overwatch role. Ability wise I'd like to have her laying down Mines and turrets and making long range strikes.

Originally, I thought rogue might make for a good base, but I have no use for the esoteric track and I can't get rid of it. So far I really love the ninja defensive track and the alchemist and mechanist tracks look interesting. The demo man track also seems decent, but I'm worried it might overlap too much with other options. On the homebrew side of things, your Mad scientist and sapper tracks look like they have potential. Your mech pilot class also looks like it could be a good way to handle my weapons, but I'm worried it might be too out of setting.

I'm also considering taking the full buy in option.

Edit: It's probably worth mentioning that I'm worried about the number of automatons the mechanist gets and their inability to deploy fields to forward positions or leave them behind. Similarly, I'm worried about the number of potions an alchemist gets, if they're being used as bombs.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 07:14:16 PM by Epsilon Rose »

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2013, 07:28:23 PM »
I shall also open up point buy chassis, so if your build doesn't fit into the class structure easily you can still do it. That should alleviate your issues with esoterica radica.

demo man is the de facto way to go for chucking bombs, but you are right, it is hard to mix with things. alchemist does run dry very quickly if you are relying on it for bombs. I'm not sure what you mean by overwatch, though.
Sapper does work well for an explosives expert, but be aware that their role tends to be more discouragement than actual damage, especially at first. It would be interesting to combine with ninja, but there will be some conflict on your swift actions to deal with. It will give you the ability to lay mines, which isn't really supported elsewhere in the system other than spellcasting.

I should also point out that using any of my homebrew content will count as a play test, and hence it may be subject to change if it proves problematic- either being too strong or too weak.