Author Topic: Using Discipline of the Serpent effectively.  (Read 6618 times)

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Using Discipline of the Serpent effectively.
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2014, 02:44:36 PM »
you don't get to roll the dice AND take serpent's precision damage. "Only a single source of additional damage with the [Precision] descriptor can apply to any single attack". This isn't a damage type that you pick the highest of, you have to choose a /source/ before you make your attack. So, you could get serpent's precision damage if you fail to qualify for sneak attack, but if you use sneak attack you could roll a lower damage than serpent would have given you.

as far as poison the blood goes, if you don't get sneak attack, most of assassin will shut down. Fortunately, sneak attacking with those attacks still qualifies you for the full imbalance.

I mean, yeah, it is workable, they have a lot they can offer each other. Mixing multiple fury or precision tracks is something I do, but it is inherently counter-synergistic, so its harder to use to its full potential. assassin gives you 1d6/circle. 1d6 averages to 3.5. circle is about 1/3 level. So, sneak attack is about 1.16 damage per level. Serpent is 1 damage per level to start. Assassin is a bit more front-loaded since you get 1d6 at first and 2d6 by 3rd(assuming it is fast), which is 3.5-2.33 damage per level at first, but it evens out pretty quickly. The main advantage assassin gives for precision damage is that it works when ceaseless flow fails.
So, for the most part, the sneak attack itself is a minor improvement over just having serpent. You would be taking the track for the rest of the abilities. The front-loading on assassin is helpful here, as it makes the sneak attack help in the beginning when the track doesn't offer much, then as it fades the other abilities kick in. The extra precision from assassin is the real star, I think. Serpent really likes more accuracy, to help with ceaseless flow, and that +4 is extremely good. You just have to realize that sneak attack itself is a very minor improvement.
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

RichTea

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2014, 10:19:42 PM »
Hey there.

On the topic of Discipline of the Serpent and Imbalances, I'd just like to confirm whether you get all the imbalances under the number you reached, or just the top.
So for example I manage to apply 6 imbalances to one opponent. Which of these happens?
  • A: The opponent is [Slowed] for 1 [Round].
  • B: The opponent is [Battered] for 2 [Rounds], and [Blinded] and [Slowed] for 1 [Round].

I think on a related note I could ask: do imbalances apply as soon as they qualify for an effect, or at some specific time such as at the end of the Attack action? (I'm not sure it ever matters, but in case it does).

PS. Sorry if I should have just created a new thread!

Rofel Wodring

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2015, 10:25:48 PM »
Here's another idea I had for Discipline of the Serpent:

How well would the track work in conjunction with Combat Alchemist, Way of the Gun, that relic that gives an additional swift action per round, and Exit Stage Left? The idea is to let the enemies come to you while you're laying on debilitating status effects on them so that you can use your move actions to prime Combat Alchemist brews. That way, you get to prime two brews and get a full attack with all of the benefits of Discipline of the Serpent your first round of combat.

Combat Alchemist not only adds a badly needed non-fury attack bonus (it's an item bonus, but it'll most likely way outstrip your weapon at higher levels) but has several rather painful 'on-hit' status effects that would seem to synergize nicely with the track.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2015, 10:47:05 PM »
should work just fine

Rofel Wodring

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2015, 06:00:03 AM »
If it's all right, could we get a detailed analysis of how that would work and notable synergies at, say, levels 6, 10, 14, and 18?

I was toying with a Discipline of the Serpent / Shaman Spellcasting / Combat Alchemist that used a ranged Spellstoring weapon, that +1 Swift Action relic, Way of the Gun and Exit Stage Left. First round would be something like Potion Priming + Swift-to-Move Potion Priming + a Ranged Full Attack + Swift Action Spellstoring. Second round would be something like a Move + Melee Full Attack + Swift-to-Move Potion Priming + Swift Action Spellstoring. The rest of the rounds would mostly be vanilla attacks.

The only fly in the ointment is that I don't know how to get DEX as a key offensive or defensive modifier with that build. I really want a good DEX because of the bonus to initiative scores and a good initiative score is very important important for status-effect people.

Machine Gun Batman

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2015, 08:46:43 PM »
Combat Alchemist not only adds a badly needed non-fury attack bonus (it's an item bonus, but it'll most likely way outstrip your weapon at higher levels) but has several rather painful 'on-hit' status effects that would seem to synergize nicely with the track.

Do you mean Demoman? Combat Alchemist has no item bonuses on attacks.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2015, 01:02:06 AM »

Do you mean Demoman? Combat Alchemist has no item bonuses on attacks.
its one of the effects of liquid courage