Author Topic: Some questions (mainly re: Ranger tracks)  (Read 2451 times)

HPetch

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Some questions (mainly re: Ranger tracks)
« on: September 22, 2014, 01:18:03 PM »
Hey folks, I was just mucking about with some of the tracks and feats while trying to come up with a third track for the Ranger character I'm building, and I noticed a couple bits of weirdness that I want a second opinion on. Hopefully a dev (or Mystify, who seems to know everything) will be able to clarify.

1 - In the Iron Magi track, there is some ambiguity about how the extra damage for Staccato Blastwave is calculated, due to the lack of a comma. Should it be interpreted as (2*level)+KOM, or
2*(level+KOM)? Not a huge difference, but it's there.

2 - How exactly does A Masterpiece of Violence react to sources of damage outside your current attack range? The wording is kind of unclear. Do you teleport to the source, or remain in place, or something else entirely? (I personally think you should teleport to the adjacent space most opposite the source from your current location, assuming the counter kills it, and you're attacking with melee. Because, you know, that would be cool.)

3- Why, exactly, is Esoterica Radica locked to the Rogue class? Even if other classes can't multiclass it in, why can't the Rogue multiclass it out? I can understand why the Paladin is stuck with Judgement, as it is inherently Paladin-y and wouldn't make sense in another class, and switching Shaman's Path is just silly, but why the Rogue? If there is a mechanical reason or something, I would be interested in knowing what it is.

I'm sure I've forgotten something, but if I remember I'll just add it on somewhere. Also, while it's fresh in my head, it would be nice to have two versions of the interactive character sheet, one with the standard three tracks, and another with the full buy-in four, rather than just one sheet with both. I tried to use an online tool to edit out the redundant one, but that disabled the interactive features, somewhat defeating the purpose. I have a bunch of other ideas for tweaks and such, but this is not the place for them. Some other time, perhaps. Thanks in advance for the clarification!

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Some questions (mainly re: Ranger tracks)
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 02:43:45 PM »
1 its (2*level) + KOM. I see why its confusing and it should probably be made more clear

2. Masterpiece of violence doesn't let you teleport anywhere; it would explicitly state an ability like that. It doesn't allow you to ignore range either, you get to take an attack action against the target, but that attack action works normally, needing line of effect, range, etc.

3. The class specific tracks are a relic of early versions of the rules, and the reasons they exist have shifted over time. At this point, its a combination of the legacy and balance concerns with the tracks.
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

HPetch

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 03:12:20 PM »
Well, that was quick. Thanks for the clarification. My confusion about masterpiece of violence stems from not knowing of any up-close abilities that could output that much damage in one hit, making an interesting ability somewhat useless when paired with iron magi. I suppose crashing of heaven could get suitable results, but that requires a bit too much luck for my tastes. Combine that with wording that sort of implies that it will work against targets outside your normal range, and it makes the ability sound somewhat more powerful than it actually is, it would appear. Oh well. Still a good trick to have. Maybe with a good chain finisher beforehand to close the distance... hmm. possibilities. Thanks!

chaos_redefined

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 09:50:43 AM »
I can't see why 60 damage from a melee attack would be out of the question...

There are several abilities that allow you to add 5 x your level at high levels (Assassin Circle 7, Vigilante Circle 6).  So, at level 15, when you can first get such an ability, that's +75 damage to an attack, and for the Vigilante ability, it must be a melee attack.  Even maxing out Precise Shot for that attack is still gonna deal at least 60 damage, and that's not including KOM or the Brutal weapon property.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 10:53:41 AM »
I have seen many builds that lay down 60+ damage by level 17. I have characters in the 10-15 range who can pull that off.
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

HPetch

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 03:38:55 PM »
Hmm, good point. I guess I'm kind of stuck in the "big explosions" paradigm when it comes to those levels of damage. Thanks for the clarification.