Author Topic: War!  (Read 1642 times)

chaos_redefined

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
War!
« on: November 07, 2014, 06:19:07 AM »
I have no experience with skill games, however, the players have recently gained control over a warring army.  I figure that this is the kind of thing best represented by a skill game, but I have no idea how to set it up.  So far, I have figured out the following:

The skills should be Geography, History, Nature, Bluff, Perception and Stealth. Geography and Nature are used to figure out oppurtunities on the battlefield, Bluff is used to fool the enemy, Perception is to spot weaknesses in the enemies tactics, and Stealth can be used for scouting or for noting hidden paths that the enemy is unlikely to notice.  Additionally, funds can be used to purchase a token (which will be of limited supply to both sides), representing extra equipment for the soldiers.

I'm currently thinking of a Bidding game, where both sides are sending troops to different areas.  While a side has control of an area, it gains some unique benefit.  However, an Option game could work as well, with both sides taking different actions on one battlefield.  But I'd have no idea how to set up the unique benefit or the options.

Finally, in the case of a Bidding game, a side wins when they control all the areas, or a strong enough majority.  In the case of the options game, I have no idea...

So...  help?

sfriedberg

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: War!
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 04:53:09 PM »
chaos_redefined, I can't help, but I am chortling from the sidelines here.  Let me explain why.  Role Playing Games in the D&D mold are an offshoot of old-school grognard war games.  So we now have an RPG in which we need to set up a more traditional war game.

I'm applauding, not mocking.  And looking forward to people's takes on the appropriate rule-to-fluff ratio for doing a war game in the context of Legend.