Author Topic: Any news?  (Read 11869 times)

Tenno Seremel

• Shaman
  • Elite
  • Destiny is chain for the weak.
  • Typo Hammer Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Any news?
« on: January 06, 2015, 11:45:02 AM »
So *cough* last post on website's main page was almost 1 year ago. If anything is going on it'd be nice to know, I think.

rejectedreality

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Any news?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 01:22:45 AM »
It'd be tragic if this system were to die off without he MM that seems to have work done already. Also, I didn't get the chance to back the kickstarter, but it seems that the leatherbound books haven't been addressed either.

Hope this isn't too whiny, but I love this system. It's my favorite. But some of my friends and gaming buddies are losing interest since I kept telling them a MM would be coming, but it hasn't. I'm hoping to keep the interest strong.

Vicerious

• Minion
  • Foolish Mortal
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 12:25:48 PM »
Yeah, it's a real shame that the site is, for all practical purposes, dead.  Even the links to download the game still point to the 1.0 release, and 1.1 came out more than half a year ago.

The combination of the last few news posts on the front page of the site would be especially discouraging to any potential new visitors: it's essentially a "this important guy left" and an ancient "we're not dead" - which generally translates to "we're dead."

I realize the dev team is probably busy working on Legend 1.2, the MM, and so on, but the neglect shown to the website is nothing but damaging to the project.
"A witty saying proves nothing." --Voltaire

sfriedberg

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 05:30:57 PM »
I'll be a dittohead here and say, "Yeah, it would be reassuring to hear something, and I look forward to having actual Legend books to purchase with real money."

Vicerious has it right:  To the casually interested public, looking at the website and not being tied into the chat channel, Legend seems a dead project.  And since I haven't visited the chat channel for 9 months or so, it may look equally dead over there.

Iceberg256

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 12:58:59 PM »
Sadly I have to agree.  Early on this game was doing an amazing job of releasing mechanical extras on the website.  That slowed down a bit but then we had a burst of interesting setting and fluff articles.  But after the announcement of Mr. K having left the project, it was dead for nearly half a year.  A year ago I helped encourage a state of the game update, hoping that would provide some concrete previews of work being done. Instead we only got the blog post of no substance that has been sitting at the top spot for a year now.

It's really sad to see this happen to such an interesting system.  I would just hope that those who had been working on the project would release all that has been done and let us few remaining fans try to revitalize the system as an independent project.  Then again, I would be truly happy to be proven wrong and have some good quality commercial products released.

Regitnui

• Elite
  • Father of the Four
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 06:05:03 AM »
I'd recommend that the website and news page start getting their own staff. Moderators, admin, news staff. None have to be directly connected to the Dev team, since this forum can work equally well for the discussion of the system wothout constant mechamical news. Get one of the Dec team to act as a liaison and appoint and assist both forum staff, news writers and a few fiction writers. It works fairly well elsewhere.
Sebrica - The House of Corners
A Homebrew Campaign Setting

Tenno Seremel

• Shaman
  • Elite
  • Typo Hammer Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 05:49:54 AM »
: whois ruleofcool.com

Domain Name: RULEOFCOOL.COM
Registrar: FASTDOMAIN, INC.
Updated Date: 05-mar-2014
Creation Date: 20-mar-2011
Expiration Date: 20-mar-2015

MrVoid

• Mook
  • Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 01:34:29 PM »
So... what you're saying is, there is a significant chance of this website and its associated forums are going down on the 20th? :(

Tenno Seremel

• Shaman
  • Elite
  • Typo Hammer Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2015, 05:32:21 PM »
So... what you're saying is, there is a significant chance of this website and its associated forums are going down on the 20th? :(
There is a possibility. Although there might be automatic prolongation in place, I have no idea.

rejectedreality

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2015, 07:07:08 PM »
That's some pretty awful news, if it happens.

kellbyb

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2015, 10:19:51 AM »
: whois ruleofcool.com

Domain Name: RULEOFCOOL.COM
Registrar: FASTDOMAIN, INC.
Sponsoring Registrar IANA ID: 1154
Whois Server: whois.fastdomain.com
Referral URL: http://www.fastdomain.com
Name Server: NS1.MEDIATEMPLE.NET
Name Server: NS2.MEDIATEMPLE.NET
Updated Date: 10-mar-2015
Creation Date: 20-mar-2011
Expiration Date: 20-mar-2017

Looks like we're safe.

Tenno Seremel

• Shaman
  • Elite
  • Typo Hammer Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2015, 01:12:50 PM »
Looks like we're safe.

Good! I've already started thinking about commanding wget to download all the forums %)

rejectedreality

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2015, 02:00:44 PM »
Yaaaaay! I relish the rare few posts that do happen, would be sad not to have any more.

afroakuma

• Administrator
  • Elite
  • Prayer Wing Scroll of Scribes Problem Solver RoC Staff Art Aficionado Eye of Seeing Aquarius Dev Team
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2015, 04:25:23 PM »
For those of you still holding out hope, let me lay down a bit of information for you. I may put this up in a new topic later.

There are two things you need to know:

Legend is not dead
Of the few dev team members who are still operational, VertigoCharades continues to lead a determined effort to completely nail down the core rules and keep Legend on life support. Dedicated fans still play the game and hope to keep it alive and kicking.

Legend is dead
The collapse of the dev team due to a huge flood of Real Life, coupled with the greatly diminished influx of fan activity and the difficulty in marketing the game due to the nonexistent Monster Guide and fluff-null core book (not to mention a stack of promises by the former head of Legend), have basically brought development and support of Legend to a standstill. Sadly, everything that I warned the former head about has basically come to pass, and while the core rules might eventually be (re-)completed, I can't say reasonably that any other Legend product will be forthcoming.

That said, what I'd like to organize this summer is a cleanup and release of planned Monster Guide material; essentially taking what should already be available to our fans and moving it out there. I can't make guarantees, since that would involve speaking for other people, but we're still here and the IRC channel is still active.

Tim4488

• Elite
  • Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2015, 09:17:23 PM »
Fro: Thanks so much for commenting. It's nice to see something like an official update, and I just wanted to say I appreciate it.

On that note, is there intent to keep this forum alive for the foreseeable future, or should fans start considering if they need to find an alternate hosting service? Particularly some of the Q&A thread and the Homebrew stuff are stuff I would rather not lose.
"MY BLADE THIRSTS FOR MORE LEGEND." - Valixes

My homebrew.