Author Topic: Spell Resistance in Legends?  (Read 2629 times)

MoshiSquared

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Spell Resistance in Legends?
« on: April 17, 2015, 09:33:20 AM »
Hello!

I'm new to the forums, but I've been playing Legends for awhile now and it's become one of my favorite systems.  I love the homebrew aspect of it and have started designing my own tracks, which is actually where my question comes from.

In designing one circle (I'll try and avoid specifics so I don't reveal it just yet), I'm trying to use a mechanic that gives a player the chance to dispel spells, spell-like abilities, and supernatural abilities that are targeted at it by certain enemies, similar to Spell Resistance in Pathfinder.  After doing a scan of the book I didn't see any abilities or keywords that did anything like this.

So, in case you haven't figured out the question yet here it is; Are there any mechanics like this that I'm somehow missing? Or, perhaps more importantly, is this kind of mechanic balanced?

Thanks!

rejectedreality

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Spell Resistance in Legends?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 01:29:41 PM »
I'm no expert on Legend balance (that'd be Mystify), but my main concern is the semi-niche properties of anti-mage. If you aren't fighting a mage, then one of your 3 character defining tracks is useless. Off the top of my head, it seems that all tracks are pretty universally useful. It might be best to do something like a feat chain, like the telekinetic feats. Start off with a reaction to try to dispel, then maybe some spell resistance, then, I dunno, spell reflection. Situationally useful feats seem better than situationally useful tracks.

rejectedreality

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 02:11:04 PM »
Oh, I just realized you said one circle. That's not so bad.

Well, there is dispel magic. I think it's a third circle tactician spell. You could give a circle that lets you use dispel magic against a magic effect targeted on you as an immediate action or something. There is precedent in the form of the spell, I guess.

Oooorrrr, you could do something else. Some creative use of what's already there, for example. Maybe ask for a will save against the spell effect (not sure how to determine that, maybe just the DC of a typical spell from the enemy), and if it succeeds, you're immune to the effect. That might just make it basically "will for all saves", but hey, it's not something that has to stick.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 05:03:33 PM by rejectedreality »

Tenno Seremel

• Shaman
  • Elite
  • Destiny is chain for the weak.
  • Typo Hammer Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 08:27:12 AM »
I don't think you should do it, at least not in that way. Discipline of the Dragon while not quite the same might be interesting.

MoshiSquared

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 10:22:04 AM »
@rejected: Thanks for the feedback.  Actually the version I have written right now is similar to your second idea, but instead forces the caster to make a Will Save (DC 10+1/2 lvl+kdm) or dispel the effect on the person forcing the save.

@Tenno: I'm not quite sure what you're saying, I'm making a new track not looking for an old one.

rejectedreality

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 01:40:07 PM »
Making the caster save seems like a pretty cool idea. Fits better with spell resistance in 3.5, and kinda replicates how most of the time attackers are the ones doing the rolling, not defenders.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 11:29:35 PM »
making the caster save also avoids "I make myself use will saves so I'll just optimize my will saves for magic immunity". acrobatic adept makes themselves take reflex saves, but its against attacks, so the rolls are much harder to begin with.
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly