Author Topic: Supers Setting  (Read 1415 times)

Kip Shades

• Mook
  • Hates and love make up this human.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Supers Setting
« on: April 20, 2015, 05:32:06 PM »
So, I'm working on a Supers setting for an upcoming campaign, and I need some ideas.  I got some advice from /tg/ for general worldbuilding stuff, but I kinda want some ideas for system-specific stuff.  Just for reference, we're starting off street-level with a party of 3rd-level characters.

The stuff I have developed so far:

The game takes place in the early 2020s, and most Supers are either magical or tech-based.  Little to no aliens or nonmagical metahumans.  The Age of Supers began with a great resurgence of magic in the early 1960s.  With the return of magic, two things were brought back from pocket dimensions: The city of Atlantis, which has merged with the island of Crete, and a section of the Library of Alexandria dedicated to magic, and they brought the Atlanteans and the Library's caretaker.

In the mid 2010s, advancements in robotics and cybernetics have resulted in the rise of tech-based, non-magical supers, though even then, magic and technology have become so intertwined that many of them use magitech to some degree.

The Paragons:
The Paragons are the main organizational force within the superhero community. Led by the Big Five, they provide missions, intel, and protection for heroes, as well as facilities for heroes to train or relax in their free time.  The only requirement is that registered heroes have to follow a code of honor, including a no-kill policy, among others.  The organization also has a ranking system, partially to identify the right hero for a job, partially to promote friendly competition.

The Big Five consists of:
Spoiler
The Crane
The muscle of the group. Seen as a beacon of hope throughout the world, The Crane is a magically-endowed martial artist, and the son of the first person to take on the title of The Crane.

Lady Luck
The brains of the bunch, and the face alongside The Crane. She's primarily a demolitions expert, but also has quite a few other gadgets, and supernatural luck. Has a slight playful hacker vibe to her.

Trickshot
The long range type of the bunch. She got her start as a sidekick for her father, the first Trickshot, and wields a magically-augmented bow that allows her to alter the course of her arrows in mid-air, and grants her a variety of "trick" arrows.

The Archmagus
A young prodigy, she has earned the title of Archmagus through surviving many trials and saving the world from [massive magic villain]. At the young age of 20, she is considered a child by most, and as she is relatively recent of a hero, few truly believe her skill. It doesn't help that she is a showy, bombastic braggart, who is very aware of her talents. She is a mage of Discipline, making her powers even more incredible, given the normally extraordinary amount of training required to use Discipline magic. She specializes in conjuration and metamagic.

Panopticon
Originally an AI designed to manage the surveillance system for <insert shadowy organization>, he hijacked one of their security robots and turned against them. He's an expert at stealth and reconaissance.
Hero rankings and equivalent levels:
Legendary - 20
S - 17-19
A - 14-16
B - 11-13
C - 8-10
D - 5-7
E - 2-4
F - 1

Dragons
Ancient embodiments of rivers and other running bodies of water, dragons are split along two lines - the Western and the Eastern dragons. Western dragons slumber deep underground, right above to water table, to accommodate their hoards, and are famous for their skill with magical artifacts. Eastern dragons, on the other hand, are more famed for their skill with enchantment and casting, and sleep at the bottom of their riverbeds to stay close to their power.

Dragons are typically deeply unimpressed with mortal affairs, and usually their bickering is with each other, the only things they consider as being on their scale.

Atlantis
The city of the Atlanteans, now returned to Earth, is magically advanced, but has no modern technologies. The magical power of it is impressive, and lets them fulfill similar things that human tech would, but otherwise the city is an odd and alien place.

Calburg City
The main focus of the campaign.  Calburg City is the home of many of the world's most famous supers, as it lies above the world's greatest font of magical energy. Calburg City is somewhere near New York, and while it was once a hellhole of a city, its magical potency has brought it a renaissance, and it is now one of the world's premiere magical locations.

Magic
Magic is the exertion of a strong mental image on the world around you through what is called The Will and The Word.  By exerting this image upon the world around you, you force reality to bend to your whims. That's the art of magic - the Will. By binding it to something, commonly a motion, word, or item, you give it endurance and lasting change. That is the Word.  There are three schools of magic, Discipline, Passion, and Intuition.

You can refine it, hone it, create every detail carefully from scratch. This is the path of discipline. With this path, you can achieve anything, but it takes extraordinary effort and time.

You can rely on your heart to provide you the image in perfect clarity. By using your emotions and the latent power within the impassioned mind, you can create images far more clear than any discipline could. This is the path of passion. It is far less reliable than discipline, but far easier.

And then there are those who are born with an image, or discover it within them from some insight or epiphany. They find it difficult to refine or change or learn new images, but the image they have is perfect in its clarity. This is the path of intuition.

And the two homebrew races I'm using:
Atlanteans
Spoiler
The Atlanteans were one a proud and powerful people. Though secluded and isolationist, they knew they were the pinnacle of the Earth, and held the admiration of mankind. However, they, and many other magical beings, were forced into hiding in a pocket dimension by a monstrously powerful villain, and the villain that did this shut off the magic on Earth to keep them there. Now, in the 1960s, they have finally broken through by finding a way to merge the dimensions. Atlantis suddenly fused with what we call Crete, and the Atlanteans - and magic - returned to Earth.

They're still proud assholes, though.

Medium Humanoid
+2 Wis
+2 any physical stat
-2 Charisma
+1 (+1/8 levels) racial bonus to Arcana
Swim movement mode
Bonus Feats (choose one): By Will Sustained, Arcantric Accuracy, Summon Mote
Dropmen
Spoiler
Not much is known about how the Dropmen came to be. Named for Dropbears, many have speculated about the reason behind their creation, from failed supersoldier programs to office bets, to "it was the '70s".  All we know is that they're magically-augmented sentient Koalas that showed up roughly 10 years after the beginning of the Age of Supers. They're somewhat dim, but they are renown for their physical strength and social skills, and integrated into society rather quickly.

Small Humanoid
+2 Str
+2 Cha
-2 Int
+1 (+1/8) racial bonus to Athletics
+1 bonus to Fort saves
Bonus Feats (choose one): Livers Need Not Apply, Chatty Bugger, The Bigger They Are
PC races are limited to these, Humans, and Sentient Constructs.  However, players can multiclass into other Racial tracks.

Tim4488

• Elite
  • Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Supers Setting
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 09:23:17 PM »
Cool setting, I dig it. Any specific questions? It looks pretty complete to me, to be honest.
"MY BLADE THIRSTS FOR MORE LEGEND." - Valixes

My homebrew.

Kip Shades

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 10:25:57 PM »
Honestly, I'm mainly looking for villain ideas, and ways to stat them in Legend.  I have a few with some idea for how to pull them off.
Spoiler
The Made Man
The Made Man grew bitter about the growing importance of magic - and irrelevance of technology - and feels that anyone capable of magic holds an unfair advantage in the world. For this reason, he became the Made Man, and began his criminal activities in order to fund a one-man war against magic.

The Made Man works with the mob as an enforcer, and also commits his own independent crimes against magical institutions. He uses a power suit of his own design to do the job.  Current plan: Either Ranger or Barbarian chassis.  Possibly Ranger/Barb multiclass.

[/b]Alchemist[/b]
Alchemist has quite possibly one of the most generic supervillain names ever, but he takes it as a point of pride - when the word Alchemist, so common in modern magical society, can be associated with one man, that man must be doing good.

Alchemist is a Disciplined magician, and he has mastered the art of alchemy in all of its forms. In fact, he is the only known alchemist alive capable of instantaneous transmutation and full transubstantiation.

Alchemist was already an old man when the magic returned - and he had already spent his life devoted to the ancient arts of alchemy. He was one of the first to realize the magic returned, and he capitalized on the opportunity to become a powerful crimelord. Now that the world has caught up with his private discoveries in many ways, Alchemist is growing desperate to keep his power. Luckily, he still has many secrets up his sleeves.

Current plan: either Tactician or Shaman with, well, Combat Alchemist.  Also contemplating Sage.  whatever synergizes best.

Totem
A young man gifted with the Intuitive magical ability of being able to tap into the form of any animal he has seen, Totem has a vicious vendetta against all of modern society, and wishes to tear it back down to its primal roots. In a world of magic, Totem sees the potential to remove ourselves from the sin of technology and return to the bounty of nature. And he will force other people to see his ideas too.  Current plan: Shaman base.  Possibly use either Path of War, or look for a good homebrew track based around shapeshifting.

Aries
Dude was born under the Aries sign, and wouldn't you know it? He herded rams, his favorite team was the rams, etc etc.

And then he found a mystical object that INFUSED him with magical RAM based powers. Now he commits crime.  Current plan: Rage Barbarian.  Maybe throw Knight in there.

Italian Robocop
I don't know why I think this is a good idea.  It just is.  Thinking Sentient Construct... Ranger?

Slip
Slip is an Intuitive, with the specialized gift of being able to instantaneously travel through contiguous areas that are 'unseen'. Slip uses these abilities as a mercenary, stealing artifacts, assassinating targets, and so on for her employers.  Rogue with Shadow Blink.  Next.

The Prince of Paris
Wizard turned Crime Mogul. Probably "took over" the family business.  Tempted to make him the most pimpin' wizard ever.  Pure Tactician.  Constantly surrounded by minions.

The Black Hound
A grizzled and stern killer. Few know he was once the hero Titan, until his family was killed by a supervillain. Now he hunts down supervillains with brutal force, without regard for the law. With mastery of martial arts and chi, he has inhuman strength and endurance, and his attacks pierce mortal resistances. (So for example, his punches go straight through steel as if it were tissue paper.)  Gonna roll Monk/Barbarian multiclass.
Stuff I have no idea how to handle:
Spoiler
Skein
Skein can create a magical string from nothing with incredible ease. As an Intuitive, she can do little else, so she has mastered the art of the string. Skein is a sociopathic mastermind. She'll do anything to entertain herself and to master her magic.  All I know is that she needs to be good at battlefield control and setting traps.

Rider
A man on horseback, dressed in tattered and garishly colored clothes, gaunt and nearly skeletal, his face shaded under a wide-brimmed hat. Rider gets supernatural endurance and strength as the area around him grows more chaotic. The things that fuel him best are unrest, death, strife, illness, etc.  Vigilante is gonna be in there, but I don't know what else to add.

Nemo
A man with a legion of loyal comrades, they seek to throw off the shackles of modern society and found a new nation of magical supers. He believes in complete freedom of magic, with no regulations or law, and is vicious in his methods of pursuing the dream of a lawless land of pure magical progress. He isn't exactly uber-powerful, but he has a HUGE army, and a mobile magical fortress to house them.

Tim4488

• Elite
  • Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 11:23:59 PM »
For Skein, I'd start with Professional Soldier and Bag of Tricks (from Tactician). Rider and Nemo could probably both benefit from some Homebrew tracks, not sure if you want to use those in your setting or not.
"MY BLADE THIRSTS FOR MORE LEGEND." - Valixes

My homebrew.

Kip Shades

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 10:23:36 AM »
I'm down with Homebrew stuff.  For Nemo, I'm contemplating the Marshal build someone posted, but I'll be on the lookout for some good homebrew stuff.