Author Topic: Shamans... What does everyone else do?  (Read 3032 times)

shadowtam

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Shamans... What does everyone else do?
« on: April 21, 2015, 01:04:34 AM »
Hey this is my first time posting so hey be nice

Hey guys, I'm playing a shaman in a campaign at the moment and was curious as to what others were doing in regards to their shamans and what tracks they use?

My shaman is currently lvl 8 with: Shaman Spell Casting(F), Incantation(M) and as Shaman's Path: Bastion: The Seven Circles of Protection(S).
I have been told by the gm and another player who gm's his own campaign and who both visit the forum often that this isn't the typical build for a shaman so i am curious.

~ta :)

Grue

• Monk
  • Elite
  • Typo Hammer Eye of Seeing Dungeon Delver
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Shamans... What does everyone else do?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 01:43:06 AM »
if we use the class "Shaman" in the loosest sense, a very common shaman build includes a racial track and any other two tracks (that are neither Judgement nor Esoterica Radica) by using Shaman's Path and a normal multiclass to strip the character of any semblance of shamanhood. This is very common because it pretty much allows you to get any three tracks you want without having to use a feat on Guild Initiation (as long as you take a race with an associated track). As far as shamans who actually bother with being shaman-y, your build seems like a fairly logical thing to do.

rejectedreality

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 02:21:54 AM »
^ That's why I let people choose any 3 tracks they want when they build characters, and any chassis to go along with it.

As far as ACTUAL shaman builds, I mainly see people attracted to it for the first circle incantation ability. Being able to heal or hurt with a basic magic attack is pretty cool to a lot of people. The surrounding tracks vary wildly. I've never played one personally. Haven't gotten much chance to actually PLAY Legend, sadly. Mainly DM.

Tim4488

• Elite
  • Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 09:10:16 AM »
I had a player use Shaman's Path for Force of Will to maximize his buffing/healing abilities, and then go FBI for a homebrew track that further augmented that. Another buff-focused player is using Sentient Construct/Shaman Spells/Force of Will, for what it's worth.
"MY BLADE THIRSTS FOR MORE LEGEND." - Valixes

My homebrew.

chaos_redefined

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 10:06:30 PM »
In Legend, "not the typical build" is not a problem, because there isn't a typical build in a lot of cases.  Legend tries to make cookie-cutter builds less of a thing, by allowing more flexibility without sacrificing power.

Shaman's Path is like a Cleric's domain in 3.5/PF.  It is there to allow you to express your flavour in a mechanical way.  The difference is, most of the options are mechanically balanced.  While there are some which will synergize better than others, they aren't going to be labeled the "typical build" because there isn't a "typical build"

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 10:46:38 PM »
That actually seems like a very standard build to me. Putting bastion on a straight shaman chassis is a obvious choice due to the internal synergy. It works /slightly/ better to have bastion on someone else, as they can be made to front-line, and hence benefit from heals more than a support character, but its not a huge deal, and managing your own spells for group buffs is a perfectly good strategy.
Its also not a standard build, because people do so many different things with the system that even obvious synergies are not that common. Its a testament to the system's flexibility.

I do some things with it that require a bit more experience to manage well. One is to mix the spellcasting with a SLA track, like necromancer or elementalist. The SLA track gives me a fall-back ability at low levels, and at higher levels I can use the tracks for their big 1/encounter abilities and mix it with higher level spells to push out more high level abilities in the combat. This genrally involves taking some of the more passive abilities from the other track to reduce action conflict.

I also use it with spellstoring weapons to create a non-just-blade gish. It focuses a lot of buffing up then channeling pain at people.

a glass cannon build can combine it with reign of arrows and some other things to deal massive amounts of damage per hit, for a low-endurance low-durability novaing approach.

You can also go full healer, and take things like force of will to be a strong source of healing for everyone.
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

shadowtam

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 01:37:43 AM »
It works /slightly/ better to have bastion on someone else, as they can be made to front-line, and hence benefit from heals more than a support character, but its not a huge deal, and managing your own spells for group buffs is a perfectly good strategy.

Yeah... i may have second highest ac and health in the party, the only higher is because he is a dragon... so i kinda hang at the back of the front line   ;D ;D ;D

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 09:40:28 AM »
It works /slightly/ better to have bastion on someone else, as they can be made to front-line, and hence benefit from heals more than a support character, but its not a huge deal, and managing your own spells for group buffs is a perfectly good strategy.

Yeah... i may have second highest ac and health in the party, the only higher is because he is a dragon... so i kinda hang at the back of the front line   ;D ;D ;D
that works too
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

Kitsune Inari

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2016, 09:06:47 AM »
if we use the class "Shaman" in the loosest sense, a very common shaman build includes a racial track and any other two tracks (that are neither Judgement nor Esoterica Radica) by using Shaman's Path and a normal multiclass to strip the character of any semblance of shamanhood. This is very common because it pretty much allows you to get any three tracks you want without having to use a feat on Guild Initiation (as long as you take a race with an associated track).
TVTropes once used that plus Full Buy-in to create a literal Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot.