Author Topic: Path of War Disciplines as Tracks  (Read 15418 times)

rejectedreality

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Path of War Disciplines as Tracks
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2015, 03:32:07 PM »
Oh, if you don't need to have a source of fury or precision damage, then the track strongly encourages characters to never choose a track that would give them any source in the first place. I dunno, it seems like another sort of action choice cost should be involved, just because it's pretty easy to either sidestep the track or have a significant power reduction as a result of taking the track. I know it's an option, not mandated, but still. Maybe a straight penalty to damage? Half level, min 1? Or maybe you need to make a social skill check to activate the healing? That would take half your move, and potentially negate damage by preventing debuffs to enemies, while taking half a move action. Just throwing ideas out, the whole thing might not be a problem anyway.

Another potential issue with Scarlet Throne (it might not be a problem): Second circle lets you use a move action to make an attack. Most instances of extra attacks that I see has the [bonus attack] tag on it, in order to limit the number of attacks that is possible in one turn. Should this track use that same convention, or is it meant to give an attack above and beyond other tracks? If it should be changed to [bonus attack], I still like the whole perception thing, but maybe the action cost should be reduced?

Tim4488

• Elite
  • Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2015, 04:08:32 PM »
My understanding was that the goal of Silver Crane was to be mutually exclusive with [Precision] and Fury the way that [Precision] and Fury are mutually exclusive with each other, rather than to be a cost exactly.
"MY BLADE THIRSTS FOR MORE LEGEND." - Valixes

My homebrew.

chaos_redefined

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2015, 07:30:41 PM »
As Tim said, the "cost" was supposed to be that it didn't stack with Precision and Fury.  A lot of the Precision/Fury first circles would be overpowered if they were allowed to stack.

I was thinking, however, that it could give 0 [Precision] damage, and if you dealt that precision damage, you got the healing.  But that just seems weird.  Weirder than it currently is.

Scarlet throne's extra attack is once/encounter, so I'm not too worried about it stacking with bonus attacks, just like nobody is worried that A Song of Arrows stacks with bonus attacks.  If it still should be changed to a [Bonus Attack]...  it'd probably lose the action cost and become at will.  Keeping the perception check, of course.

rejectedreality

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2015, 07:53:41 PM »
Ah, you know, that makes sense. Changing my frame of mind from "Avoiding the cost by not choosing tracks" to "The cost IS the motivation to avoid those tracks" makes a big difference. That's a fair justification.

I didn't notice that the extra attack was 1/encounter. In that case, it seems fine to me. Song of Arrows can even be used 3/encounter, and that's far from overpowered.

Thanks for humoring me. I really like these tracks. Helps to give more flavorful mundane-focused options. Still haven't read them all, but I will.

chaos_redefined

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2015, 09:14:21 PM »
More than happy to humor people.  Valid criticisms can be raised through that process.

chaos_redefined

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2015, 08:55:29 PM »
Hmm...  So, I was wondering...  Which version would be better to go with for Scarlet Throne's second circle?

Current Version: Once per [Encounter], as a move action, make a melee attack.  In place of the attack roll, make a Perception check. This attack does not receive bonuses from the Power Attack maneuver.
 Additionally, you receive a bonus to Perception checks equal to the number of circles you possess in this track.

The version RejectedReality alluded to: You gain a [Bonus Attack] whenever you make an attack action.  When making this attack, in place of the attack roll, make a Perception check.  This attack does not receive bonuses from the Power Attack maneuver.
 Additionally, you receive a bonus to Perception checks equal to the number of circles you possess in this track.

Also, I have changed Silver Crane's second circle so that the bonus to AC is a deflection bonus.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 08:58:54 PM by chaos_redefined »

chaos_redefined

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2015, 01:09:33 AM »
So...  I can't see how to write this otherwise, so, instead, 1 precision damage has been tacked on to some tracks.  If you have two sources of 1 precision damage, you only did one of them.  Same with a few other things.

Also, my friend who knew full well the intention of this setup, did it anyway.  In other words, my friend is an ****hole.