Author Topic: Boon Companion  (Read 4522 times)

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Boon Companion
« on: July 03, 2015, 09:16:00 PM »
Boon Companion
A track by gkathellar, considered for inclusion in a proposed Druid class for the Magic Book.
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

chaos_redefined

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Boon Companion
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 08:15:34 PM »
Can someone with more experience with the mook rules go over this?  I've been deliberately avoiding them, but they seem essential to this track.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 09:15:18 PM »
the mook rules relevant to this are very simple, its basically a pre-existing stat progression on top of the most basic creature possible. And most of those are going to be overriden by the player stats anyways.

So first circle basically ends up with a second position for you to manage, which many of the same defenses and stats, but it can only make attacks, and it has its own damage for those attacks.
Second circle is granting you attacks of oppurtunity against people who attack you, and make attacking the companion less beneficial.
third circle frees up some actions, and lets you control them even if stunned or whatever.
fourth circle grants it extra attacks, but uses up your [bonus] attack for the round. How benefiical this is depends on your build.
fifth circle makes them open up weaknesses in your opponents for you, and makes them more resiliant.
sixth circle basically lets you team up on enemies together
seventh circle lets you rack up offensive bonuses for attacking together, and caps out your companions resistance.

All of this seems reasonable. My big issue with it is the lack of customization. You can't do anything to make your companion act like a dragon, or a undead minion, or whatever. I'd suggest having some circles offer options to enable such things.

Knightsyde

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 06:21:44 AM »
Companions should be able to acquire [mount] magic items. Circle 3 is the only circle with room for an additional small bump. I propose a sub ability of circle 3 that allows a choice of Creature Type for the Companion.
EVOLUTION: Choose a Creature Type your companion is now a Creature of that type. Certain types as they have weaker offerings gain abilities above and beyond any abilities (if any)of the Creature Type gained.
  *Abberation - That's Not it: once per [Round] you may turn a Critical Hit that strikes your companion into a normal hit as a [Free Action].
  *Animal - Nowhere to Hide: Your companion gains [Darkvision] and grants you a +1 bonus to Awareness defense in situations where its sense would be applicable.
  *Fey - Great and Terrible: When adjacent to your companion you gain a +1 bonus to both Bluff DC's and defense.
  *Giant - Tougher Than You: The companion gains 1/2 its level in temporary HP every encounter. These HP do not stack with Temporary HP from any other source. As a [Swift] Action once per round you may renew these temporary HP.
  *Humanoid - This is my Rifle: Your companion gains an additional weapon property.
  *Magical Beast - ????

chaos_redefined

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 08:18:48 AM »
I wouldn't necessarily associate it with a creature type.

Also, I think fourth could be swap-able.

Options could include the current version, flight, some sort of blast, bonus to attack/damage, etc...

Additionally, first circle could offer some options some of the racial bonuses that PCs have available.  +1 attack, +1 AC, +1 to a saving throw, or +5 ft to movement.

At some point, you could give the creature one of your attuned item slots?  That would be another way to give some flavor, such as flight (Wings of Faith), combat/style feats, etc...  Might need a caveat saying it can't be a weapon/armor/shield, but I'm not certain.

Knightsyde

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 04:35:38 PM »
Dunno. I was trying to avoid anymore numeric bonuses to the companion really. Just a little something to differentiate companions in a simple but significant way and a small benefit to the character for taking weaker creature types. Also I thought it needed an evolution ability as the track names are bits of the pokemon themesong.

rejectedreality

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 07:24:19 PM »
Yeah, I figured mount items would be the perfect way to differentiate animal companions. I never thought to specify it as a track ability, but I suppose that would actually be a pretty neat thing to add at some point. That being said, item access is already limited by level, so I'm not sure how much of a boost it would be to give a circle the ability to equip mount items to your companion.

Maybe it would be more worth it to say that the companion can use those items with its own actions or something? IIRC, the flamespitter item requires a standard action from the rider, so letting the animal companion just use it might be worthwhile.

Knightsyde

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 08:17:56 PM »
Sorry if I wasn't more clear. I never meant for the ability to use mount items as part of a track ability. I was suggesting it was just something companions should be able to do innately. Only part that was to be included in the track was the Evolution ability. Again sorry for the confusion.

chaos_redefined

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2015, 09:51:50 PM »
Somewhere, you could also give the first circle of an existing track to your companion.  Balance would be...  weird?, but it allows that customization.

A whitelist might be necessary.

Knightsyde

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2015, 04:06:08 AM »
Somewhere, you could also give the first circle of an existing track to your companion.  Balance would be...  weird?, but it allows that customization.

A whitelist might be necessary.
I have no idea where to even begin with that, but if you could post an example I'll follow your lead.

chaos_redefined

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2015, 05:58:23 AM »
Third circle: Choose another track.  Your companion gains the first circle ability of that track, but is treated as though he had a number of circles in that track as you have in this track.  Your companion cannot benefit from fury or precision bonuses.

This would allow, for example, a dragon companion to gain [Fly] and a natural weapon ([Melee][Brutal 3]), or an undead companion to gain the first circle of ghoul (sickening, healing claws).

For a more complicated example, a Discipline of the Crane would gain a +20 ft movement when it first gains this ability.  When you get to 4th circle, it goes up to +25 ft, and so on until 7th circle, when it gets a total of +40 movement.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2015, 08:54:50 AM »
And taking assassin would give a ton of damage that was never intended.

Tim4488

• Elite
  • Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2015, 11:49:55 AM »
Well, he did explicitly say it won't work on fury or [Precision] abilities, which should clean that up?
"MY BLADE THIRSTS FOR MORE LEGEND." - Valixes

My homebrew.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2015, 12:01:19 PM »
mount items don't always make sense for a companion, and they don't really other the types of distinguishment I'd like to see

hideaway can work, psychic bond is redundant, silver harness makes no sense, submerisble is not that worthwhile, rocket booster is ok, turbo is drasticalyl less useful, elemental reactor is useless, mechanized armor is useless, trampling reads is useess, turret is useless, cloaking system barely works, how a drill works is weak, missile batter could be made to work, neutronium reactor is useless, apocolypse gun can be made to work.

so, most of them are either useless, or the benefit is nowhere near what hte cost is. Of the ones that remain, there isn't much room for customization.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2015, 01:37:23 PM »
Well, he did explicitly say it won't work on fury or [Precision] abilities, which should clean that up?
I am looking through all of the 1st circle abilities, and very few are actually appropriate and functional.