Author Topic: Powered Armor  (Read 4511 times)

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Powered Armor
« on: July 14, 2015, 04:56:06 PM »
Powered Armor

The "orphaned" track, floated for an eventual Core revision, then for an undefined module, then as a bonus to be released on the site, questioned for the Monster Guide but rejected as off-theme, planned to move back to Core again until its role and play space were questioned, and never actually scheduled for either the Magic Book (unlikely) or the Fourth Book. Possibly the most complete track to have been "lost" in this fashion.
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

Tim4488

• Elite
  • Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Powered Armor
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 01:07:52 PM »
Honestly looks fine to me. I think synergies with this track might be a little wonky sometimes - C2 wants you to be using weapon attacks as your Standard, C3 you either use a move or a standard, but can use it every round, and then C5 either way gives you more ways to spend your move that you can do every round (and while Focusing Prism is cool, the rest of the track isn't necessarily going to play nice with most spell-like ability tracks). But overall the theme fits and the mechanics seem sound, I think players who use this will just have a lot of choices to juggle at higher levels, is all. Which is not a bad thing.

The fact that it's "choose an existing piece of armor" instead of how Vigilante does it was also strange to me, but seems to work fine for the purposes of this track. 
"MY BLADE THIRSTS FOR MORE LEGEND." - Valixes

My homebrew.

Knightsyde

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 01:12:25 PM »
I like the choose an existing piece of armor bit as  it allows you combine it with your vigilante armor :)

Regitnui

• Elite
  • Father of the Four
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 01:20:56 PM »
I like the choose an existing piece of armor bit as  it allows you combine it with your vigilante armor :)

That's likely intentional, as it can give the character a mecha suit/Iron Man feeling. Combine with the Sentient Construct track w/o racial modifiers, and you're a human(oid) in a robot suit.
Sebrica - The House of Corners
A Homebrew Campaign Setting

Tim4488

• Elite
  • Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 01:26:00 PM »

That's likely intentional, as it can give the character a mecha suit/Iron Man feeling. Combine with the Sentient Construct track w/o racial modifiers, and you're a human(oid) in a robot suit.

Oooooh, good calls.
"MY BLADE THIRSTS FOR MORE LEGEND." - Valixes

My homebrew.

rejectedreality

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2015, 03:05:39 PM »
Honestly looks fine to me. I think synergies with this track might be a little wonky sometimes - C2 wants you to be using weapon attacks as your Standard, C3 you either use a move or a standard, but can use it every round, and then C5 either way gives you more ways to spend your move that you can do every round (and while Focusing Prism is cool, the rest of the track isn't necessarily going to play nice with most spell-like ability tracks). But overall the theme fits and the mechanics seem sound, I think players who use this will just have a lot of choices to juggle at higher levels, is all. Which is not a bad thing.

The fact that it's "choose an existing piece of armor" instead of how Vigilante does it was also strange to me, but seems to work fine for the purposes of this track.

I rather like that there is an option for each action type in this track. It lets Powered Armor work better with other tracks than if all of the abilities were, say, a standard. Being able to use other actions does make it difficult to use every part of this track, but at least you'll have something to show for it at every circle.

Altaria87

• Mook
  • Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2015, 07:32:35 AM »
Isn't Dazed at 3rd Circle ridiculously good? Perhaps tesla Coil should swap with one of the 5th circle weapons

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2015, 08:42:25 AM »
yeah, this was written back when low level action denial was more common so its balance needs updating
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

Machine Gun Batman

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2015, 05:25:15 AM »
Obviously, this track looks awesome! Maybe a bit too awesome, actually? What would be the needed changes to bring it in line with 1.1?

I have these suggestions:
C1 Change the three track abilities to Item bonuses. Also, I would backload Technician's Gear a bit, granting the +2 to one skill immediately and the other +2 at 6th Circle.

C2 Change Ghostwise Sight to 45ft to bring it in line with other sources of Ghostwise Sight, and maybe make it increase existing Ghostwise Sight by 15ft if you already have it from another source, such as Race. Reduce the item bonuses to attack rolls of the weapon modules by 1 to cap them at Relic levels.

C3 Flamethrower: 5ft wide. Tesla Coil: [Sickened] at C3, change to [Dazed] at 6th Circle.

C4 to C7 Look fine.

Thoughts?

chaos_redefined

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2015, 08:06:11 AM »
c1 is fine.  don't need to change anything.

c2 - ghostwise sight changes are probably fine. The item bonuses are masterwork relic.  Which is fine, coz masterwork is probably the best enhancement available.

c3 - flamethrower is fine.  [Sickened] -> [Dazed] suggestion is probably required.  As mystify said, low level action denial was apparently a thing at one point.

Machine Gun Batman

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2015, 11:25:19 PM »
How is C1 fine, exactly? It provides a choice of several 1 point Greater/Relic enchantments as untyped bonuses. In addition to handing out a free stacking Masterwork to Armor and Shield (those I'm fine with). No other track hands out untyped bonuses of that magnitude. The three options currently are:
  • Relic Resilience enchantment
  • Greater Vital enchantment
  • Relic Adept enchantment
You're not even required to commit to a certain choice, as you can change them freely between scenes. Having them stack with the equivalent enchantments would make them way too strong. Having them not stack and split Adept would bring them in line with other C1 abilities.

The item bonuses of C2 need to be toned down. What you are getting is not "Relic Masterwork" but rather "Artifact Morphic", as you get to freely switch between the modules and depending on interpretation, assign three properties to the Arc Blade and one property to the Pulse Rifle. The two weapons you are getting are very strong, and again, no permanent commitment here as you can freely switch. They are also not the only abilities you get at this circle. [Blindsight] is a very strong ability and no other track offers it as early as this one.

I'm torn on the Flamethrower. It's the only 10ft wide line as far as I know, and it's also an at-will zero commitment ability. I suppose 10ft would not break anything, but again, it feels stronger than any equivalent ability. Elementalists would kill to get it.

Grue

• Monk
  • Elite
  • Typo Hammer Eye of Seeing Dungeon Delver
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2015, 01:15:05 AM »
the Flamespitter mount item is a 10 ft wide line as well.

chaos_redefined

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2015, 12:45:52 AM »
Granting the ability to take 10 on skills is considered Relic tier, and yet it's available on a first circle ability.

Morphic sucks as a 3-pointer, at least in my experience, coz you can generally do that anyway, but without the 2-point restriction. So, the comparison to Relic Masterwork still holds. Pulse Rifle should probably get the [Volley] term.

There aren't a lot of lines in the game in the first place, so the comparison is hard to begin with.