Author Topic: A Monster Manual for Legend  (Read 3708 times)

Machine Gun Batman

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
A Monster Manual for Legend
« on: August 20, 2015, 05:09:48 AM »
Seeing as I have some free time on my hands, I will do a Legend Monster Manual over the following month. I will use the list of monsters from the 3.5 MM as a baseline.

Now, what I have noticed about this system is that unless monsters are within very close level range of the PCs, the fight will likely be one sided (in favor of the higher level faction). I have considered several approaches to this issue:
  • Post a standard build with level dependent variables and a level range where the monster functions. The latter is to ensure that iconic monster abilities are available.
  • Just post the monster at a set level, and accept all implications that come with it.

As for the monsters themselves, here are some of my design parameters:
  • No Homebrew: Only content available in the 1.1 book will be used to make it compatible with a wide range of tables. This also means no Ponies, Lurking Terror or Wildborn.
  • Using Mook/Operative rules where applicable, but not relying on them overly.
  • [Legendary] will be used very sparingly, if at all.
  • Extensive reflavoring will be used, given the limited amount of content available.
  • Designed to challenge a certain level of optimization. Let's face it, most Legend players are 3.5 veterans that live and breathe CharOP.
  • It will be assumed that no houserules are in place, and that characters using item tracks will be equipped with items of their choice in every available slot. If that is not the case, then the characters will likely be weaker.
  • Monsters that rely on Silver Bullet mechanics will likely not translate faithfully into Legend.

Any and all feedback is welcome! If you have a request for a monster that you'd like to see that isn't in the 3.5 MM1, let me know!

Tim4488

• Elite
  • Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: A Monster Manual for Legend
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 07:42:30 AM »
Personally, if you're serious about doing things out of the 3.5 MM, I would recommend [Legendary] for some of the high-level heavy hitters. Or maybe just a list of recommended [Legendary] abilities if GMs choose to use them. Dragons over a certain age, Balors, Pit Fiends, the Tarrasque, things in that rank.

Excited to see what you come up with. Hopefully you can use some of the other similar attempts on this forum to springboard and save yourself some time/energy.
"MY BLADE THIRSTS FOR MORE LEGEND." - Valixes

My homebrew.

rejectedreality

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 03:03:23 PM »
Hope the project works out. I'd encourage you to take advantage of some of the work that's already been done here on the boards:

http://www.ruleofcool.com/smf/index.php/topic,1448.0.html

I'd love to help out with some of my stat blocks, but they're all PDFs, and I'm not sure how to share those in a way that's convenient and safe. If you know of a way, great. Could save you some time. Either way, good luck.

Machine Gun Batman

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 05:49:04 AM »
@Tim4488: Oh, I will definitely use them for those kind of monsters.

@rejectedreality: I've taken a look at those, thanks! A lot of them use homebrew tracks however, which is a big no go for me. Homebrew approval varies from table to table, and the end goal is to create something the majority of tables can use seamlessly.

Draz

• Paladin
  • Elite
  • Typo Hammer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2015, 03:38:12 PM »
This is why Legend needs some kind of review process via which homebrew can attain "official" status.

chaos_redefined

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 09:24:11 PM »
There is one creature that I wrote that includes homebrew.  I do not believe any of the stuff from DMofDarkness's stuff involves any homebrew, however, some of it may be out of date. If so, tell me and I'll update it.  And if you have a non-homebrew goblin, feel free to put it up.

Machine Gun Batman

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 03:11:32 AM »
Quick update: I'm about 40% done. This takes more work than originally anticipated, since monsters that need to be relevant over a certain range of levels require several different stat blocks due to the larger power gains of a Legend character (compared to 3.PF/5e).

rejectedreality

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2015, 10:46:15 PM »
You're completely right. However, I'm super happy to hear you're working on stuff.

And happy to see a post on these boards. :p

InkLikeUrine

• Mook
  • Hello
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2016, 02:29:01 AM »
So, how is the progress coming?

Machine Gun Batman

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2016, 04:51:04 AM »
Not been that great. Interest in Legend has waned in my gaming group.

Gikkman

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2016, 05:11:48 AM »
Would you be interested in releasing the parts you've completed?