Author Topic: I'm working on a full legend setting!  (Read 4374 times)

InkLikeUrine

• Mook
  • Hello
    • View Profile
    • Awards
I'm working on a full legend setting!
« on: October 19, 2015, 10:53:58 PM »
Recently, I've been running a Legend campaign, and have been lamenting the fact that the development for the system has died down (or died completely), and that the planned setting guide was never released.  I know you can see glimpses and hints here and there in the core book, but it's just not the same as a full setting.

So, I thought that I'd write up my own content, with a mix of some of the unreleased tracks and content as well, and get it into a sexy PDF and release it as a full setting guide, free for all to use and download once complete.  This is my first shot at writing one of these all out, and I am trying very hard to do 4 "simple" things:
  • Make it as coherent and easy to read as possible.
  • Include an abundance of details about locations, people, and other miscellaneous world facts that can helpinform a DM or Player.
  • Keep it as in-line with the legend core book style guide and mechanics as is reasonable.
  • Make it balanced and interesting.
So far I have new Magic Items, Tracks, Races, Feats, Items, Places of Power, and Transformitive Races planned out.

I feel that so far I've made reasonable headway, but it's a long road.  So far, I've release a track and the first half of my mana mechanics on my personal website: http://www.masterworkpublishing.com/

I beseech you to check it out and let me know what you think, either here (i'll check in once every few days) or on the site itself.
-Ink
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 10:58:03 PM by InkLikeUrine »

Tim4488

• Elite
  • Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: I'm working on a full legend setting!
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 11:18:51 AM »
Does Lesser Mana count as one of your Lesser Items and Greater Mana as one of your Greater Items, that is, do you need to be attuned and have a slotted weapon both to use these abilities? If all I needed is one [Slotted] item and a Lesser Fire Mana to get something better than Energized, that seems a little overpowered?

Are there rules for making [Slotted] armor or other items, or is that just fluff?

(I am excited and I want to see more, though)
"MY BLADE THIRSTS FOR MORE LEGEND." - Valixes

My homebrew.

Tim4488

• Elite
  • Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 11:25:33 AM »
Re: Psychopomp. Love the concept. Track itself feels a little scattered? I think a more central mechanical theme might help here.

C1: "In addition you may grant a +2 to attacks and damage to yourself and one ally in [Close] range against non-magical creatures. At 4th Circle you may grant a +2 to attacks and damage to yourself and all allies in [Medium] range when fighting any creature."
Free action? Non-action? Swift action? This feels like it should have some action cost, compare C1 of Tactical Insight - costs a Move, has a failure chance, grants a slightly larger bonus, affects all allies from the get-go. (Maybe also compare C1 Heroica)

C2: This may be a little weak, actually, although I recognize that you're trying to balance the versatility.

C3: Incantation requires an attack roll, so this would apply, which is neat. Maybe allow it to boost healing as well?

C4: Seems weaker than the Necromancer Speak With Dead option, although I don't have the book in front of me so I may be misremembering.

C5: "The spirit cannot interact with the physical world but it can touch the ethereal. This summon is a mook of your level"
If it cannot interact with the physical world, I admit I'm not sure what all the mook statistics would mean for it. I might make this work as a True Seeing spell or something, I want to say Tactical Insight has an ability in that vein?

C6: Needs an action cost, needs a limit on how many mooks you're getting. I might just allow the character to have a single Myriad to represent numerous animals appearing. Be careful about action economy with this.

C7: Very cool, though again, might break action economy pretty hard. I like the idea a lot though.

My homebrew.

Gikkman

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 01:54:38 PM »
I can't add much to the discussion about balance and design, but I can give my biggest encouragement to anyone who contributes to the Legend community.  ;D Keep up the good work, and I hope you'll have a blast

InkLikeUrine

• Mook
  • Hello
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 08:22:55 PM »
Timm,

I'm not gonna lie. I completely overlooked the existing magic item properties when it came to mana.  The initial intention was for it to be aa simple and easy way to get versatility out of a weapons damage type.  And initially it was meant that the only limiting factor of a level 1 player using mana of relic level was the sheer scarcity of such a item in the game world.

Currently mana items are considered mundane weapons with magical items in them. I'll probably officially switch them to magical, and say that a slotted items magical level is the same as its highest mana level. A sword with 2 lesser mana and 1 greater mana a greater item. And require attunement. Then ban magical items from having the slotted Weapon property.

So far, in the game I'm running to playtest these mechanics, the current power level of mana seems to work well in-game alongside core rules, but my players and I are fairly close to the subject and third party oversight is super helpful.

This whole reply isn't too well written or formated since I'm at work, but I'm looking forward to Rebalancing as neccisarry.

As for the Phsychopomp track,

I completely forgot about action economy for C1 and C6. Will implement soon.

C4 is a devalued version of necromancer, essentially.

I rather enjoy C2s versatility and think that offers the overall underwhelming nature if it. I'm always open to suggestions however.

As for C5, I think you're right and I'll dig into it.

The overall theme of the track is communing with spirits of nature and ancestors. And having them aid you.

Thanks for the input so far, I'll work on your suggestions and have something good for the 30th soon.

-Ink
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 08:26:43 PM by InkLikeUrine »

Tim4488

• Elite
  • Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 10:06:29 PM »
Makes sense on the mana. I like your suggestion to fix it, given that relying on scarcity in the game world won't work as well as different people run it. But that sounds balanced at first blush, might need more tweaking over time.

For C2: +Circle to Initiative for yourself doesn't seem fundamentally unreasonable. The skill one is probably about right. +1 damage per 2 circles is probably better. See if you like the sound of those, at least?

C4 as a devalued version of Necromancer is strange to me, given that Necromancer has that ability as an option alongside its main abilities, and actually has some quite powerful C4 options? I like the flavor of having it there but I think it might work better if, like Necromancer, it didn't actually take up a circle by itself. At the least if you got something more crunchy at the same time.

My homebrew.

sfriedberg

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2015, 05:18:52 PM »
Ink, over on your blog you wondered how many non-bots were visiting.  Here's one non-bot for you, and I went there from here.

InkLikeUrine

• Mook
  • Hello
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2016, 10:28:14 PM »
Well, I'm glad to hear that!  I'll be resuming updates soon.  I had all those holidays back-to-back, and was decimated by disease for a couple weeks, updates will resume soon, please do let me know what you think.  I'm also happy to redirect people to Legend.  It's one of my favorite systems and I want it to stay alive!

Gikkman

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2016, 05:14:01 AM »
I also do check in from time to time, so you know :-)

Tim4488

• Elite
  • Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2016, 05:04:07 PM »
Also not a bot, also check your site occasionally, FWIW.

My homebrew.

InkLikeUrine

• Mook
  • Hello
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2016, 09:57:20 PM »
Hey, I'm still plugging away at it, though I need some input before I publish my next track.  Anyone mind looking through https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xp5KQcLJ5VJewenb21gPqZmmPeg56MRIKBQr1UEblGI/edit?usp=docslist_api

Tim4488

• Elite
  • Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2016, 04:27:00 AM »
I love the concept. I think it may be a little underpowered - compare the free armor from Vigilante, I'm not convinced that weapons are necessarily Better than armor (unbalanced) for this purpose. C2 feels underpowered. C6 feels a little out of place on a track that generally wants you to use your Standard to attack. Typing on my phone so these are just quick reactions, can give more feedback in a few days.

My homebrew.